How to avoid a "pop" at the end of a loop?

Author
HiThere
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
2006/11/30 02:45:41 (permalink)

How to avoid a "pop" at the end of a loop?

Hi, guys:

As you've probably noticed, some loops, when they end and there's no more loop continuation on that track, have a pronounced "pop" sound, which is quite noticeable on the final mix. The easy way to deal with it, if there are other loops sounding at the same time, is simply to automate volume to go to zero on that loop at the very last moment before the "pop." Then, the listener can't hear the pop, and can still hear the loop at the intended volume.

However, what can one do, if the offending "pop" happens at the very end of the song, and there are no other loops to mask the automation of the volume to zero on the offending loop? If you have only one loop playing at the end, and you automate volume to zero just before the end of the loop to avoid the "pop" sound at the very end of the loop (and at the very end of the song) then what happens is a sudden and absolute silence, which sounds just as unnatural, as that "pop."

Any suggestions as to how to avoid the "pop," AND to avoid abrupt silence in the above-described example? BTW, I tried the fadeaway on the loop in the last measure, and it's better than nothing, but, maybe, you can think of something else? Thank you!

5 Replies Related Threads

three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: How to avoid a "pop" at the end of a loop? 2006/11/30 03:10:39 (permalink)
    Make a copy of the loop(s), place it on the last measure and in the editor reduce the gain or volume (i can't remember) of the offending slice that is popping?
    This is just a guess w/out actually having tested whether or not it will work.

have a good one
    3Eo
    HiThere
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 471
    RE: How to avoid a "pop" at the end of a loop? 2006/11/30 04:06:39 (permalink)
    Otter, I am not sure what you are suggesting. I can reduce volume to zero on the loop without having to make a copy, by using volume automation on the track itself. Then it's a fadeaway, which is what I'll have to do, if no other solution comes up.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: How to avoid a "pop" at the end of a loop? 2006/11/30 08:50:52 (permalink)
    It's probably popping because the audio is not cut at a zero-crossing.

MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: How to avoid a "pop" at the end of a loop? 2006/11/30 12:01:28 (permalink)
    Download the Sony Sound Forge Ver. 8 30-day Web Trial, dump the offending loop in and zap that puppy.

HTH,
    MDK

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: How to avoid a "pop" at the end of a loop? 2006/11/30 16:17:13 (permalink)
    Yeah...Agincourt is right. If your audio clip ends before the sound meets the exact zero point in the axis then it will sound like a pop. You need to edit the wave file....zoom in really close so you can see the point at which the ending comes down to meet the axis. Make sure it comes RIGHT down, otherwise you'll have that pop sound.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1