How to bypass DSP controls?

Author
JulianRay
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 112
2008/11/26 00:15:42 (permalink)

How to bypass DSP controls?

Hello,

Didn't found an answer in the "Rapture user Tutorial"...

I'm trying to make some sounds in Rapture and found out that every time then I want to compare result with or without any DSP, I have to reduce it to zero by the DSP knob or to reach DSP OFF mode by clicking mouse buttons.
So, I'm wondering, is there any quick way to bypass DSP controls?
It could be useful.

Thanks,
Julian

11 Replies Related Threads

chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: How to bypass DSP controls? 2008/11/26 08:44:55 (permalink)
    You could assign the parameter via MIDI Learn, would moving a MIDI CC be faster for you? It would be an easy way to set your MIDI CC at zero to turn this parameter off, it might be a bit trickier to get the exact setting you had before because of the resolution.

You need hold the shift key while attempting to MIDI Learn this parameter, follow the steps in this tutorial:

http://p5.sonarama.com/index.php?title=Undocumented_Easter_Egg

post edited by chad - 2008/11/26 08:46:24
    JulianRay
    RE: How to bypass DSP controls? 2008/11/26 11:29:12 (permalink)
    Thanks, Chad.

I'll try that.
    And I hope, Rapture creators will add the possibility to bypass DSP controls in future updates.

Julian
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: How to bypass DSP controls? 2008/11/27 07:24:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JulianRay

And I hope, Rapture creators will add the possibility to bypass DSP controls in future updates.

Julian

Be sure to submit this as an official feature request to Cakewalk. Here is an online link to a page on their website where you can do this: http://www.cakewalk.com/support/featurerequest.asp
    JulianRay
    RE: How to bypass DSP controls? 2008/11/27 10:15:16 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bob

Unfortunately, they have no Rapture in list for requests.
    I'm not sure which Cakewalk product includes Rapture.

Julian
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: How to bypass DSP controls? 2008/11/27 14:46:11 (permalink)
    Julian , you could always just submit as a DP request and put the title / description with Rapture..

it is odd it's not listed.. ah well something for them to put on their "to do" list.

JulianRay
    RE: How to bypass DSP controls? 2008/11/27 17:34:44 (permalink)
    Thanks, Paul

I will submit request and I hope they will add it in future version.

Julian
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: How to bypass DSP controls? 2008/12/09 07:39:44 (permalink)
    it might be a bit trickier to get the exact setting you had before because of the resolution

Wouldn't it be best to allow Rapture to lock it in, my friend? After initially binding a control with MIDI Learn, right-click (or shift+right-click) and select Set Max. The current position of the virtual knob/parameter will (relatively) determine where the Set Min & Set Max range limits lie. With the internal resolution in thousandths of a 'Rene-unit' , you should get 100% reproducible results at any given MIDI CC value.

is there any quick way to bypass DSP controls?

Several, but which method you use will depend on your personal preferences. Most will require a little setup time. I happen to like the method that Chad mentioned (he's part of Rapture's original design team, BTW). The MIDI Learn procedure has several advantages in this type of application:

• Once you're comfortable with it, you can quickly 'create' a new control routing.
    • You can make it 'forget' the binding just as quickly.
    • It acts globally over all instances of Rapture.
    • Ten separate configurations can be stored and recalled, containing every available Rapture parameter.
    • Range limits can be set for Rapture's controls, or for the MIDI messages coming into them.
    • The 'Reverse' toggle makes it easy to invert messages (very handy in a 'bypass' setup).

For a little more information, here's the beginner installment of an unfinished three-part tutorial:
    Basic - Opening The Crack In The MIDI Learn Easter Egg

I have to reduce it to zero by the DSP knob or to reach DSP OFF mode by clicking mouse buttons.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of mouse work to be done in the Rapture interface. Most everything is 'focus-dependent', and setting focus requires a mouse click. If a particular Rapture parameter currently has active 'focus', there are several mouse/keyboard shortcuts that you can use:

• 'Left-click+right-click' resets (alphanumeric) controls to a default value. (In most cases, that's an Off-type setting.)
    • The mouse scroll wheel rolls through available parameter settings.
    • Page Up & Page Down jump though settings in macro steps.
    • The Up/Down arrow keys scroll though parameters one at a time.

But who wants their hands to leave the keyboard controller if you don't have to? The DSP routing itself (00. Bypass through the 14 selections) can bypass all DSP distortions at once. The side-effect is that it also takes both filters out of the equation. This can also be 'MIDI-Learned', using the 'shift+right-click' method described above.

Let's assume that you were using the mod wheel for control, and had a routing of 04. F1 -> DSP 1 -> DSP 2 || F2 -> DSP 3. You want the mod wheel to travel from the .04 routing to full bypass. After a few returns to the MIDI Learn dialog, a 'bypass setup' would look something like this:

Set Min (0.000)
    Set Max (0.286)
    [X] Reverse

Of course, there are plenty of situations where you'd like to keep the filters active, and simply bypass* one or more of the DSP distortions settings.

*{As a note of caution here: returning the DSP type to Off completely bypasses any distortion. Returning a DSP knob value to 0% doesn't always bypass it completely. Load up the 000 - sine.wav, and select a DSP routing with Tube, Soft, Mid, Hard, or Asym as a DSP distortion. Set the DSP knob to 0%. You'll hear what I mean. This 'leakage' won't be as apparent using more complex waveforms.}

Caveats aside, you can easily set up a DSP bypass operation in the Modulation Matrix. I like to use a programmable switch for this (On, or Off), so I'll use a sustain pedal as an example here. Feel free to substitute any other controller message in the Source column.

Within a slot in the Modulation Matrix, set up the following line:
    CC 64 (Sust) -> DSP1 1 -> -100% -> 0.0

The setup above assumes that you're using DSP1 in Element 1. It doesn't matter what the 'front panel' DSP knob is set to. A Depth of -100% will effectively bring it down to a bypass level. The negative value inverts the process, Normally, the DSP will be heard. Step on the sustain pedal, and it'll be taken out of the equation.

If you want to bypass all three DSP settings, change the Matrix slot to something like this:
    CC 64 (Sust) -> DSP1 All -> -100% -> 0.0

Edit: The reply wasn't quite long enough.
    post edited by b rock - 2008/12/09 12:11:33
    JulianRay
    RE: How to bypass DSP controls? 2008/12/09 12:57:11 (permalink)
    Thanks, Tom for such a detailed explanations!
    I'll try all the ways, and right now bypassing DSP with Modulation Matrix looks most preferable to me.
    I hope my Axiom 61 will work good with it.

Thanks again!
    Julian
    JulianRay
    RE: How to bypass DSP controls? 2008/12/10 18:48:31 (permalink)
    Good, Now all the DSPs follow knobs on my MIDI keyboard.
    DSP bypassing over Modulation Matrix works well too, just...
    Modulation Matrix settings is local and for current preset only?
    Can I make it global?

Even if not, I can make a template preset with all these settings in Modulation Matrix.

Thanks again, guys

Julian
    post edited by JulianRay - 2008/12/13 08:58:39
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: How to bypass DSP controls? 2008/12/11 06:25:09 (permalink)
    DSP bypassing over Modulation Matrix works well too, just...
    Modulation Matrix settings is local and for current preset only?
    Can I make it global?
    Not really. If you want settings to act globally across all instances of Rapture, the easiest way is to take advantage of the MIDI Learn process described above. Right-click on knobs, or shift+right click on text controls, and set up your bindings from there. The configurations are stored in a separate file, and accessed whenever you launch an instance of Rapture.

The Modulation Matrix is stored as part of the preset itself (*.prog), so that's unique to that preset alone.
    Even if not, I can make a template preset with all these settings in Modulation Matrix.
    I discussed this subject once with Rene, in the form of a feature request. There are technical reasons for preventing the Mod Matrix from a copy/paste operation. The Matrix is read in its entirety as a unit (not individual 'slots' or parameters), and I believe that happens upon startup. There are a couple of workarounds that I use, often in conjunction with each other:

- Set up a template project in your host application. Make sure that Rapture has only the Modulation Matrix settings in it (from an Initialized patch). Save the host project. The 'song persistence' feature of the host application will keep the Matrix settings in a saved state. Load the host application project as your Rapture Matrix template.

- Save a Rapture preset as a .prog file, Again, it should only contain the Mod Matrix settings; nothing else. Bring up two instances of Rapture in a host application. In the first instance, load your 'Matrix' preset. In the other instance, load whatever program that you want to 'tweak'.

Right-click on the E1-E6 button (usually: just E1) in the 'Tweak' instance. Select Copy Element. In the 'Matrix' instance, right-click on the same Element button. Select Paste Element. You can transfer the entire Element from one instance to another. Repeat (as necessary) for the other active Elements.

Effectively, you're starting with a 'Matrix' template, and rebuilding the preset there from the 'Tweak' instance.
    JulianRay
    RE: How to bypass DSP controls? 2008/12/11 11:46:33 (permalink)
    To use two instances in host?
    Great idea and good for me. I like to work with soft synths in the host (even for sound design purposes), because you never know when sound creation will lead to music creation.

Thanks for this advice, B Rock!

Julian
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1