How to create that sound

Author
Puggles
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
2018/06/23 15:26:42 (permalink)

How to create that sound

Have you ever watched a show and see and hear the actor doing something with music playing with it and there's something disappointing that happens and the music slows to a crawl.  Similar to a record player that has lost power and it slows down and the pitch gets lower and lower until it stops?  (I not referring to a record scratching abruptly)  How do I do that in Sonar?  Is that from a plugin or something?

8 Replies Related Threads

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: How to create that sound 2018/06/23 17:22:25 (permalink)
    site:forum.cakewalk.com tape stop effect

Google the above line and it will give you references for the "tape stop" effect.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: How to create that sound 2018/06/23 19:34:51 (permalink)
    It's a heckuva a lot easier to just toss your track into Reaper and create the tape stop effect there. The default settings in Reaper will create the tape stop by simply creating a Tempo envelope that gradually slows down.

That means not only do you get the time slow down you also get the gradual (and proportionate) pitch dropping as well.

Trying to recreate this in SONAR is a hassle comparatively because SONAR does not link Tempo and Pitch together automatically like Reaper does so you have to futz around with some oddball procedures/tools.

Once you create your tape stop though you can of course just toss it back into SONAR. I do this shuffling back and forth from Reaper quite a bit because it does all the stuff that SONAR kind of sucks at.
    Chandler
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re: How to create that sound 2018/06/23 23:56:04 (permalink)
    You do this will a plugin like Reelbus. Its a tape emulator, but it uas an automatable tape stop effect.

Toneboosters Reelbus V4 https://youtu.be/z-e_ZrwsyGk

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
    My Youtube page
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: How to create that sound 2018/06/24 02:13:18 (permalink)
    A free VST that has this is iZotope Vinyl. The option on that is called "Spin Down," but I forget offhand how tailorable it is.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Puggles
    Re: How to create that sound 2018/06/24 02:44:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help guys, but omg, that tape stop plugin is abysmally designed.  My god, it's like pulling teeth to get it to automate correctly.  What a nightmare. 

I ended up having a much easier time with the Illformed DBlue Tapestop plugin.  Simple, yet it was designed a lot better than the other tape stop one.
    post edited by Puggles - 2018/06/24 03:06:57
    Puggles
    Re: How to create that sound 2018/06/24 03:10:08 (permalink)
    Beepster
    It's a heckuva a lot easier to just toss your track into Reaper and create the tape stop effect there. The default settings in Reaper will create the tape stop by simply creating a Tempo envelope that gradually slows down.

That means not only do you get the time slow down you also get the gradual (and proportionate) pitch dropping as well.

Trying to recreate this in SONAR is a hassle comparatively because SONAR does not link Tempo and Pitch together automatically like Reaper does so you have to futz around with some oddball procedures/tools.

Once you create your tape stop though you can of course just toss it back into SONAR. I do this shuffling back and forth from Reaper quite a bit because it does all the stuff that SONAR kind of sucks at.

I don't know what reaper is?  Is it included in Sonar?  I have no clue.  I'm stupid, I need things explained to me like a 5-year-old.
    (Seriously, I'm not being a smartass)
    Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: How to create that sound 2018/06/24 03:29:13 (permalink)
    Puggles
    Beepster

I don't know what reaper is?  Is it included in Sonar?  I have no clue.  I'm stupid, I need things explained to me like a 5-year-old.
    (Seriously, I'm not being a smartass)

Reaper is a full on DAW like SONAR is. If you go to Reaper.fm you can download a fully functioning version of it for "free" but TECHNICALLY that is just a trial and you are supposed to pay them $70 for home use but they aren't weird about it and the trial never expires (and as I said is fully functioning).

It can be a little more intimidating than SONAR because there are a LOT of submenus/options/etc but it's a great program. It is my number two DAW on my system (after SONAR).

Tons of tutorials online for it too (far more than SONAR). And just because it's "cheap/free" doesn't mean it isn't good. It's actually one of the best. It just doesn't come with as many plugins and other goodies like the other DAW makers offer (but all the Cakewalk stuff works in it except for the exlusive Prochannel modules).

Cheers.
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: How to create that sound 2018/06/24 03:55:14 (permalink)
    Beepster

you are supposed to pay them $70 for home use

$60 actually . . . but who's counting.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
    Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
    More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1