How to de-ess my vocals?

Author
spincitystar
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2010/08/02 13:32:37 (permalink)

How to de-ess my vocals?

Can anyone explain to me how to 'de-ess' (reduce the sibilance) in vocals recorded with Sonar 6?

5 Replies Related Threads

jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:How to de-ess my vocals? 2010/08/02 14:11:12 (permalink)
    Siblance is around 7-13KHz

Depending on how bad it is you should use a plug-in Fully Parametric Equalizer (Not the EQ on your input strip in Sonar as it is not very good- No offense Sonar) put it a band around 8.5KHz with a bandwidth of between 1.3 to 2.0 and bring the gain down..

Play around with the frequency and bandwidth a little to get it in "The Pocket" it needs to be
    spincitystar
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:How to de-ess my vocals? 2010/08/02 14:25:57 (permalink)
    I thought I had to use the compressor, not the EQ..? Please explain this to me, I'm really confused. It sounds horrible-snake like.
    jasonthurley
    Re:How to de-ess my vocals? 2010/08/02 14:40:21 (permalink)
    lol.. Im sorry I don't mean to laugh but I am picturing a giant snake in the mix.....

If you just want to remove sibilence.... you can EQ it out... I do... a De-Esser is a compression version of doing this, so instead of removing the frequency you just squoosh it down so it doesn't become overwhelming. The advantages are better quality in the voice when the Sssssss's are not ripping your head off.... so it depends on what you're working on (A voice over can be EQ'd and a vocal track might be better to De-Ess)

A DE-Esser uses a compression ratio that is triggered using a "sidechain" (De Esser Plug-ins kinda do this internally) or input to trigger it.... so you can make 2 tracks (Copying the vocal to a 2nd track) and select no output on the 2nd track (we don't want to hear it) and plug in an EQ... now do the same thing as you would just EQing it but instead of bringing the volume down you want to raise it up so it is nothing but the annoying SSSssss... Then insert a compressor on your main vocal and insert the second track as the sidechain... then when the horrible Ssssss comes up the compressor reacts to it (Not the main track) and it squashes it down.

I think there is a link to a procedure to make your own De-Esser online........

Here:
    http://audio.tutsplus.com...y-daw-for-that-matter/

This is for a different program but it works the same way.

Have Fun... Remove the Snake!
    Mark Rittman
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:How to de-ess my vocals? 2010/08/06 16:37:00 (permalink)
    Don't forget about good mic handling technique.  Don't get too close to the microphone (a hand's distance is good).   Don't sing directly in to the microphone (off to one side or above it is better).  Use a pop filter.  You can make a pop filter out of a coat hanger and pantyhose.  I am sure there is a how to video on youtube for this.

Mark
    jasonthurley
    Re:How to de-ess my vocals? 2010/08/13 16:48:46 (permalink)
    Don't get too close to the microphone (a hand's distance is good)

What he is referring to is called "Proximity Effect" and basically boosts the low end (actually doubles) of the voice when you come within 6" of the diaphragm(Depending on what mic to a degree).

However determining distance from a mic depends on what you want to do... are you trying to do a Radio DJ voice or a voice of GOD ... then proximity effect is what you want.

One thing to be aware of is if you are getting a lot of sibilance in your mic and it is a condenser (requires phantom power) it might be damaged or the diaphram might have had some substance spilled on it or dried saliva/spit can leave salt residue that can effect how the microphone picks up vibrations.

When I design musical theater we use a lot of miniature condenser's for the performers and if they get sweat in them they tend to screech high end-sibilance area.

You might try another mic

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1