How to ensure you're running a stable Windows 10 version

Author
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
2016/12/09 10:00:16 (permalink)

How to ensure you're running a stable Windows 10 version

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3148676/microsoft-windows/woodys-win10tip-wait-for-a-stable-version.html

TL/DR;

Here are the versions of Windows 10 to date:
  • 1507 -- the original version of Windows 10, codenamed Threshold 1, OS build 10240
  • 1511 -- the "Fall Update" later renamed "November Update," codenamed Threshold 2, OS build 10586
  • 1607 -- the "Anniversary Update," codenamed Redstone 1, OS build 14393
And the widely expected (and already named, internally):
  • 1703 -- the "Creators Update," codenamed Redstone 2, OS build not yet determined
If you're in charge of your own updates, it would behoove you to wait for the "Current Branch for Business" designation until you upgrade your system. Cynics say that Microsoft is using individual Win10 users (both Home and Pro) to test upgrades on millions of machines before certifying them fresh for businesses. I would have a hard time arguing with that characterization.
We've seen the cycle twice to date, in the transition from 1507 to 1511, and in the move from 1511 to 1607. Here's how the dates have gone:
  • Version 1507, released July 29, 2015, was immediately declared Current Branch for Business, as the first of its kind.
  • Version 1511 released Nov. 12, 2015, was promoted to CBB on April 8, 2016. It spent 148 days in consumer-level testing.
  • Version 1607 released Aug. 2, 2016, promoted to CBB on Nov. 29, 2016. It took 119 days before reaching the higher level.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 

11 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: How to ensure you're running a stable Windows 10 version 2016/12/09 12:01:46 (permalink)
    FWIW, I haven't run any version of Win10 that I found unstable.
    The Anniversary Update caused some issues...
    That's somewhat par-for-the-course when dealing with older hardware - where there are no further driver updates.

Mac updates are similar.
    El Capitan caused some issues
    Sierra has cause some issues

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    abacab
    Re: How to ensure you're running a stable Windows 10 version 2016/12/09 12:11:38 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

Regardless, if you are a pro, you should consider your business first.  Why be a beta tester with your bread and butter?

Big companies with IT departments test operating system updates thoroughly in-house before rolling them out into production. 

You don't miss out on anything by waiting and staying one release behind.  Except, maybe problems that will get fixed before you update ...

Jim Roseberry
    The Anniversary Update caused some issues...
    That's somewhat par-for-the-course when dealing with older hardware - where there are no further driver updates.

You raise a good point here.  Many folks do attempt to update with their older hardware.  They do not have personal IT experts advising them if they should or not.  It's often been said that maybe it's better to buy new hardware with the OS pre-installed and tested on that generation of hardware.  Or just keep running what you have, as long as it is supported. 

The big change that I see here with Windows 10, is that it's like a new OS release each time they roll out a major annual feature release.  That is problematic for anybody to figure out where their drivers get left behind, until they stop working anymore ...
    post edited by abacab - 2016/12/09 12:43:12

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: How to ensure you're running a stable Windows 10 version 2016/12/09 12:34:28 (permalink)
    I have Win 10 Pro for my production system.  It is the 1607 version and my system is stable and Latency Mon does not show any problems.

I have a dual boot system and the other OS is also Win 10 Pro but its the "insider preview" (beta) editions.  I have Sonar and my MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid and X-Touch installed on that version too, and it all works OK and no issues for me.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    abacab
    Re: How to ensure you're running a stable Windows 10 version 2016/12/09 12:38:33 (permalink)
    Windows 10 Release 1607 just graduated to CBB status 10 days ago, so should be considered as stable for business now.  I guess that means it's fully patched after you apply any current roll-up patches.

abacab
    Re: How to ensure you're running a stable Windows 10 version 2016/12/09 12:42:12 (permalink)
    fireberd
    I have Win 10 Pro for my production system.  It is the 1607 version and my system is stable and Latency Mon does not show any problems.

I have a dual boot system and the other OS is also Win 10 Pro but its the "insider preview" (beta) editions.  I have Sonar and my MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid and X-Touch installed on that version too, and it all works OK and no issues for me.

You are clearly following good IT practices.  You have a test system to try out the betas on, then if it is stable for you, you can safely roll it into production later.

For other folks without test environments, it's probably best to wait for the "all clear" signal 

fireberd
    Re: How to ensure you're running a stable Windows 10 version 2016/12/09 15:01:06 (permalink)
    I take the "CBB" status to be for business systems and not for individual users.  I am a retired LAN/WAN Network and Hardware Help Desk Manager for a Federal Government Agency.  My area of responsibility was all our Agency field offices, basically west of the Mississippi to the Rocky Mountains.  We never implemented any software update, whether it was an OS update or an applications software update until it was tested and certified by our Computer Analyst department.  The agency had large IBM mainframes for the network (running VTAM/CICS) and the same with those, any update that IBM or whoever issued was certified before it was released to the production systems (and even then there were tests before the production systems were put back on line).  Lots of $$$ can be affected if computer systems are down or not working correctly or in our case the field offices were automated to the point if their computers were down they may as well lock the doors and go home.

If someone is running a commercial recording studio and relying on computers, I would have at least two full computer systems, one for production and another as backup and possibly a third that I could use as a test system. Any updates, whether OS, recording program, device drivers, etc would be first installed on the test system and if all worked then it could be installed on the production system(s).   

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    abacab
    Re: How to ensure you're running a stable Windows 10 version 2016/12/09 16:32:23 (permalink)
    fireberd
    I take the "CBB" status to be for business systems and not for individual users.

Take another look at the InfoWorld article.  It's a matter of declaring the release "business ready".  "CBB" stands for Current Branch for Business.  Not a separate software release, but a status code.

So that does apply to individual users, who wish to wait for a release to be considered fully baked, before applying it to their own systems.  Sort of testing by proxy.  Not guaranteed, but a step in the right direction. 

I too worked in IT, for over 30 years.  Started life as a mainframe computer jockey, & have worn many hats since then.  I'm well aware of change control issues.

According to the article:
    You can read the official definition on TechNet, but for individual patching purposes you only need to realize that Microsoft releases new versions for general consumption, and waits until the major problems are ironed out before it declares a particular version is fit for businesses -- which is to say, ready for the Current Branch for Business.
    If you're hooked up to a corporate server that controls updates to your Win10 machine, chances are good that your admin holds off on updating your machine to a new version until it's anointed "Current Branch for Business."

fireberd
    Re: How to ensure you're running a stable Windows 10 version 2016/12/09 18:01:25 (permalink)
    That is what I meant, sorry.

I've been in electronics and maintenance since 1955 in the Air Force and worked (maintenance) starting in 1966 with RCA Service Co on the Air Force Eastern Test Range, Ascension Island tracking station.  I also worked as a programmer for NASA on the Apollo program.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    abacab
    Re: How to ensure you're running a stable Windows 10 version 2016/12/09 18:12:03 (permalink)
    fireberd
    That is what I meant, sorry.

I've been in electronics and maintenance since 1955 in the Air Force and worked (maintenance) starting in 1966 with RCA Service Co on the Air Force Eastern Test Range, Ascension Island tracking station.  I also worked as a programmer for NASA on the Apollo program.

+1

RIP, John Glenn :-(

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: How to ensure you're running a stable Windows 10 version 2016/12/13 11:38:34 (permalink)
    abacab
    Jim Roseberry

Regardless, if you are a pro, you should consider your business first.  Why be a beta tester with your bread and butter?

FWIW, we have clients who are rock-stars... and others who are professional composers for TV/Film on tight deadlines.  IOW, They can afford little to zero down-time.

Backups and contingency plans are a must... and should be in-place prior to any update being applied.  

I've mentioned this before...
    When we were kids, my friend's dad used to lecture us about the "six P's".
    "Prior planning prevents piss poor performance"
    At the time, we didn't get the gravity of what he was saying (young/naive).

If you're well prepared, there's no fear of installing updates.
    Worst possible scenario, you roll-back... or pop in that cloned boot drive (from the previous configuration).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    abacab
    Re: How to ensure you're running a stable Windows 10 version 2016/12/13 12:31:43 (permalink)
    +1

There are free solutions available.  Windows even comes with a built-in imaging utility.  It just takes a little bit of planning to avoid a big headache later.

And if you always expect upgrades/updates to fail, and they will eventually, you will be prepared

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1