How to export mix to a stereo file? (Panning position is ignored) Solved: Track Automation

Author
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
2017/02/05 16:28:38 (permalink)

How to export mix to a stereo file? (Panning position is ignored) Solved: Track Automation

I am trying to export my mix to a Wave file but whatever I do, I just get a mono mix.

I have a trivial project with two audio tracks of identical length and one master bus.

I pan the two audio tracks hard left and right. If I play back, I hear stereo.

Now I want to export this, so I click Files->Export->Audio, select Category Buses/Master (I also tried Entire Mix and Hardware Outputs), I set Channel Format to Stereo and I export.

The result is physically a stereo file, but both channels are an identical mono mix.

If I play my project, it's stereo. The VU meter and Waveform Preview in the master bus confirm its stereo.

If I turn off Fast Bounce and watch the export as it happens, the master bus VU meter (and waveform preview) clearly show both channels are moving identically. Both channels are a mono mix.

What am I doing wrong?

More details: Exporting to Wave file, 44k1/16bit, triangle dithering, all the check box selections are off (except Fast Bounce)

The audio tracks are freshly recorded from a pair of microphones with no effects and nothing in the Pro Channel. They are definitely panned hard left and right.

For fun I tried Split Mono. I got two identical mono files, both being a mix of both channels.

post edited by jpetersen - 2017/02/05 18:51:52

1 Reply Related Threads

jpetersen
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1499
    Re: How to export mix to a stereo file? (Panning position is ignored) Solved: Track Automa 2017/02/05 18:58:09 (permalink)
    OK, so after a lot of messing about I discovered if I have the "Track Automation" checkbox selected, the panning controls work for export.

Hoo boy.

If the Bakers want to simplify Sonar, perhaps they should consider the Export Audio dialog next. It is seriously non-intuitive and the Help wholly inadequate.

I have used Sonar since version 4 and I have never really fully understood what I am doing when I generate my final CD Wave files.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1