How to get Sonar X3 to Recognize My Korg Krome?

Author
Dave McKeen
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2014/08/18 21:34:33 (permalink)

How to get Sonar X3 to Recognize My Korg Krome?

I am a non-performer who uses my Korg Krome for my own enjoyment.  In the late 90s I had a Roland D-20 and Twelve Tone Systems Cakewalk 3.0 on my PC connected with MIDI cables.  I could play MIDI songs on my D-20 from within CW, assign patches to tracks, etc.  I could record MIDI and edit my songs.  Now I have Sonar X3 and a Krome and feel as dumb as a rock.  (No offense, rocks…)

How do I get Sonar X3 to recognize my Krome or where can I go to read up on it?  I have the USB connection and have installed the Krome USB driver, the Krome Editor and the Krome Plug-In Editor VST.  I can control the Krome from the stand-alone editor in my PC but cannot see the Krome in Sonar.

Do I still need MIDI cables, a MIDI adaptor for my PC and an Instrument Definition file?  I thought all that was so passé.

SHS XL version 7, Windows XT SP3 32 bit, Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM, SoundMAX HD Audio (Built-In), Free HD Space 608GB, Mackie 1202, Korg M50

10 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How to get Sonar X3 to Recognize My Korg Krome? 2014/08/18 22:20:04 (permalink)
    I believe it should show up as a MIDI device in SONAR Preferences > MIDI > Devices. At least that is what I get from reading the specs on line. The MIDI connection would be through the USB cable. Audio from the keyboard is a different matter and would require and separate audio connection. Instrument definitions are still useful for hardware devices.
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: How to get Sonar X3 to Recognize My Korg Krome? 2014/08/18 23:03:45 (permalink)
    The Krome editor VST plugin makes an instrument definition file obsolete.
    Scook is correct, the Krome should show up under midi devices. Make sure it's enabled. What happens if your try to use the editor VST plugin?
    musichoo
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 811
    Re: How to get Sonar X3 to Recognize My Korg Krome? 2014/08/19 06:34:33 (permalink)
    I own a krome88 and the krome editor doesn't work half of time. I had almost given up already. It has to do with the plugin's failure to recognize the driver. 

Sonar Platinum. Win7 64bit. i7 CPU 4770. 14 Gig RAM. Roland A500Pro controller keyboard. Korg Krome 88. M-audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, Focusrite 18i8, Roland UA25EX. Ivory II, True Piano, Addictive Keys, Synthmaster, Harmor, Zeta +2, Lounge Lizard 4, Geist, Miroslav 2, Sample Tank 3. Kaiser grand piano. Shure KSM137 x2. Wave's Renaissance and Gold. Breeze. ST3. Pianoteq 5. AD2.Aether Reverb, Dune2 , Reason 10 and Komplete 10 Ultimate, Syntronik, O8N2 adv, Studio one 3.5 Pro.

https://etherealpiano.bandcamp.com/
    Sanderxpander
    Re: How to get Sonar X3 to Recognize My Korg Krome? 2014/08/19 09:55:49 (permalink)
    You should probably contact Korg support in that case.
    Dave McKeen
    Re: How to get Sonar X3 to Recognize My Korg Krome? 2015/02/04 23:04:54 (permalink)
    Hello scook.  (Got diverted- just getting back to this.)  Yes, the Krome shows up in Preferences > MIDI > Devices.  But when I play a MIDI song the Krome doesn't play.  In Outputs When I check the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth and bump it to the top the song does play through that device.  Where am I getting lost, do you suppose?

Hello Sanderxpander.  "The Krome editor VST plugin makes an instrument definition file obsolete."  That's what I thought.  "What happens if your try to use the editor VST plugin?"  Hmm..., I thought that's what I was seeing in MIDI > Devices.  What should I do to try to use the editor VST plugin?

Thanks guys, - Dave

SHS XL version 7, Windows XT SP3 32 bit, Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM, SoundMAX HD Audio (Built-In), Free HD Space 608GB, Mackie 1202, Korg M50
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: How to get Sonar X3 to Recognize My Korg Krome? 2015/02/04 23:17:41 (permalink)
    First, forget the Korg's sounds, Sonar X3 has  better sounds ( edit: OK I was wrong here see below post)  with the  VST instruments you can use. I have a Korg 05/RW and I haven't bothered to plug it in for a long time since I started using soft synths. 

If you  want to use the  sounds of the Korg then all you do is assign the midi track output to the Korg USB in the midi output menu. If it's not in the midi output menu of the track then return to the midi preference list and make sure it's on that list first. There is a input and an output list for midi.  
    '
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2015/02/05 08:31:14

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Sanderxpander
    Re: How to get Sonar X3 to Recognize My Korg Krome? 2015/02/05 01:52:20 (permalink)
    The Krome's multi GB pianos and EPs are probably better than what you get in Sonar unless you have a lot of third party content. The Krome and 05/RW are lightyears apart.

As for the VST editor plugin, I don't understand your reply. You need to add the VST plugin to your project by choosing "insert softsynth" from the insert menu. What happens when you do? Don't use the standalone editor at the same time.
    Dave McKeen
    Re: How to get Sonar X3 to Recognize My Korg Krome? 2015/02/06 11:52:08 (permalink)
    Hello Sanderxpander, thanks for your patience.  I'm stuck back in the days of Twelve Tone Systems' Cakewalk 3, WRK files and instrument definitions.  I did what you said and the plugin editor popped up over the X3 track view and synchronized with the Krome.  I can tap the keyboard keys in the editor and play the Krome.  But when I play a basic MIDI song it doesn't play on the Krome

I am going to have to do some studying.  I would love to "learn to walk" again with the sequencer.  What do you advise for a tutorial?  Something like SONAR X3 Power!: The Comprehensive Guide Scott Garrigus?

Thanks again, - Dave

Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: How to get Sonar X3 to Recognize My Korg Krome? 2015/02/06 12:00:01 (permalink)
    I am just barely starting to understand this type of MIDI stuff but isn't this the type of thing that perhaps setting up a drum map/device profile within Sonar could help with?

In my esperience though, and this seems to be confirmed all over the internet, Korg units are a notorious pain in the buttsicles to set up. I had a heckuva a time figuring out my padKontrol and I have to be very careful how I connect it.

One little troubleshooting thing that sometimes help is make sure you turn on/connect the Korg BEFORE opening Sonar. If I don't do that my pK does not work at all.

Oh and try to always use the same USB port you installed the Korg drivers on. Changing ports can confuse/screw up Windows for some dumb reason.

Sorry if none of that is of any use.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How to get Sonar X3 to Recognize My Korg Krome? 2015/02/06 12:11:49 (permalink)
    Dave McKeen

I am going to have to do some studying.  I would love to "learn to walk" again with the sequencer.  What do you advise for a tutorial?  Something like SONAR X3 Power!: The Comprehensive Guide Scott Garrigus?

SONAR X3 Power is a good resource
    So are the SWA and Groove 3 videos at the Cakewalk store.
    For free there are the X series videos here http://www.cakewalk.com/CakeTV/SONAR-University/Get-Started
    Many of the older X series videos have useful info for newer versions of SONAR
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1