How to get my MC midi recording to CD?

Author
roberthamilton
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/01/07 23:42:27 (permalink)

How to get my MC midi recording to CD?

I'm a beginner. I purchased Cakewalk Music Creator v. 2 bundled together with Cakewalk Pyro. I have been able to save a recording from a Yamaha P120 piano input to my hard disk as a cakewalk project file (and then as a midi file). My question is, what is the most straightforward way for me to convert this file into a format that can be burned to a CD? I first opened the Pyro program, figuring that it would be able to do whatever conversions were necessary and burn the recorded file to a CD. However, I quickly realized that Pyro does not recognize either the midi or cakewalk project file format (i.e., these files do not show up in the window for this folder when I open Pyro). If I'm understanding the help information for Pyro, it seems to indicate that Pyro only recognizes MP3, WMA, or WAV files, not midi. So then, I went back to Music Creator to look for a way to convert either the cakewalk project file or the midi file into something that Pyro could recognize. I read somewhere that midi tracks in Music Creator could be exported as audio files, which could then provide the bridge I needed. But when I highlight the track in Music Creator that comprises the midi file I recorded, then go to the export option, the "audio" option is shaded out and not available. I'm sure that there must be a simple answer to this, but my background knowledge in this area is so shallow that I'm starting to get a headache. Any help appreciated!

5 Replies Related Threads

bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: How to get my MC midi recording to CD? 2006/01/08 00:14:28 (permalink)
    Open a new audio track. Arm it. Solo the midi track you want to convert to audio. Hit record. Stop the recording when you're finished. Your audio track should have recorded the midi sounds.

Now, select all the AUDIO tracks that you want to record to a CD. Select FILE>EXPORT AUDIO. In the box that pops up, name the file and select .wav or .mp3 and save the file to where you will be able to find it.

After the file is saved, go open it in pyro and burn it to a cd.

FYI-

You cannot burn midi files to a cd for playing in a cd player. MIDI is computer data that tells a synth or soundcard what sound to make. Whereas, audio data is a replica of an actual sound wave in digital format. A CD player reads the actual digital sound wave.

Jeff
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: How to get my MC midi recording to CD? 2006/01/08 14:01:27 (permalink)
    Or if you have several midi tracks and they are properly routed thru a softsynth, then you can hit bounce to track(s) and it will make a stereo wave file of the mixd down tracks that can be exported and burned to a CD.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: How to get my MC midi recording to CD? 2006/01/09 12:51:54 (permalink)
    I don't use the bounce to track feature with midi because I always get some distortion or static in the final track. That's why I record the midi as it's playing into an audio track.
    post edited by bargainboy1 - 2006/01/09 12:54:53

Jeff
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: How to get my MC midi recording to CD? 2006/01/09 13:18:11 (permalink)
    Bounce to tracks, should not cause static, I would think there is some issue in your signal chain that nned attention. However one can do it on a track by track basis, and convert all Midi tracks to audio then do a stereo mix down, that will give better attention to detail, but takes much longer.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: How to get my MC midi recording to CD? 2006/01/09 22:38:49 (permalink)
    I don't have a CD writer in my computer, but I have an audio CD recorder. For MIDI, I run the audio out from my keyboard to my mixer, and for the audio, I run a cable from the sound card's headphone out to the mixer, from the mixer to the recorder. Then I have a CD I can play in my car! Greg
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1