How to get my user setups to sound and record?

Author
peggysuechan
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 581
2007/08/15 16:14:34 (permalink)

How to get my user setups to sound and record?

I got Home Studio to call up my user setups. But they play only with Local Control turned on. Whenever I turn off Local Control, I hear only a piano.

And when I record, only a piano sound records, even If I turn on local control and record with the setups playing.

Why?
post edited by peggysuechan - 2007/08/15 16:23:00

9 Replies Related Threads

liebre
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: How to get my user setups to sound and record? 2007/08/15 17:09:33 (permalink)
    I have no idea what you're talking about. What are "user setups"? What is "Local Control"?

Maybe someone else here knows what you're talking about but I think you need to provide a little more information.
    peggysuechan
    RE: How to get my user setups to sound and record? 2007/08/15 20:02:52 (permalink)
    Stuff:
    1. Cakewalk Home Studio 2004
    2. Kurzweil PC2
    3. Dell Latitude Notebook
    4. Tascam US 12

Setups are what the PC2 calls patch combinations. If you make make your own combinations (setups), the PC2 calls them user setups. And local control means the patches are played locally, from the PC2, instead of from something external, like a sequencer.

I have Global>setup change channel on 15. I have Global>transmit program change off. On track 9, the midi channel is set to Midi Omni, the Kurzweil channel is set to 15, the bank number is 1 and the patch is 4 (for setup # 133)
    post edited by peggysuechan - 2007/08/15 20:38:43
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: How to get my user setups to sound and record? 2007/08/15 20:21:39 (permalink)

try setting global > transmit program change on, and global > receive program change on. Just a hunch, it probably wont help but may be worth a try.

That sounds so confusing though, it seems it would be much easier to create your user combinations within Sonar ??? Since sonar can save all the track / bank / patch change / channel / and midi data on the computer.
    Just set the kurzweil to transmit and recieve on all channels, turn local off, then assign the midi channel output and bank / patch change info within the sonar midi track, using a kurzweil instrument definition. Does that make sense?

I am not an expert
    peggysuechan
    RE: How to get my user setups to sound and record? 2007/08/15 20:42:53 (permalink)
    It makes sense. I did that, too. And I also "multi-recorded" the setup on three channels so that each patch is recorded seperately so I can edit it. Kurzweil said I can call up a setup from a sequncer, so I want to explore it, see what advantages there might be. Just trying out everything.

The Kurzweil tutorial said this:
    31. Selecting Setups from an External Controller

You can call up a Setup from an external controller or a sequencer, by sending a bank controller and program change message on a specified channel. This would most typically be done in a performance situation where you need to automate calling up Setups.

1. First you need to choose a MIDI channel you will use to send the bank and program change messages. A good rule of thumb is to dedicate a specific channel for this function and not use that channel for sending any other MIDI info. Press the Global button, and then press the >> button 5 times to get to Setup Chg Chan. Set this to the channel you have chosen.

2. Press the MIDI Setups button. At this point, sending bank and program change messages from your external controller on the specified channel will call up the appropriate Setup.

There are a couple of things to be aware of:

First, of all, MIDI Setups are displayed starting numbering at 1 instead of 0. Because of this, there will be an offset of 1 in response to the standard program changes of 0-127. To call up Setup number 1, send program change 0, to call up Setup number 2, send program change 1.

Second, although the User Setups start numbering at 129, MIDI only has 128 values (0-127). So the User Setups are actually in another bank. Sending the bank controller (controller #32) with a value of 1 followed by program change 0 will call up Setup 129, controller #32 with a value of 1 followed by program change 1 will call up Setup 130 etc. If you need to quickly know which program change number to send when calling up a User Setup, simply subtract 129 from the Setup number and you will know the correct value for the program change message.

If no bank controller is sent, the PC2 will always revert to the first bank (the preset Setups). If you ARE sending the bank controller and want to get to a preset Setup, you would send controller #32 with a value of 0.
    kayehl
    RE: How to get my user setups to sound and record? 2007/08/15 21:54:58 (permalink)
    oh i see. Then sonar sends the bank patch command to which the kurzweil responds by calling the preset or user setup. then your midi tracks in sonar play the midi channels in the kurzweil using the patches specified in the preset. could it be the preset you called is set to piano on every channel?

I am not an expert
    peggysuechan
    RE: How to get my user setups to sound and record? 2007/08/16 09:55:01 (permalink)
    I have channel 15 set to Send Program Change However, the underlying patch on Midi Receive channel 15 turned out to be the the "piano" I hear.

That's my problem. My PC2 display window shows the correct setup that Home Studio called up, but what plays is the piano patch on Midi Receive channel 15.
    kayehl
    RE: How to get my user setups to sound and record? 2007/08/16 11:15:04 (permalink)
    so with local control on the setup plays correctly and with it off it only plays piano?

with local control on the keyboard output goes straight to the sounds within the kurzweil. When local is off this is disconnected and the keyboard output goes through the midi interface into sonar then back out to the kurzweils sounds. So the midi must be routed through a sonar midi track to the channel you want to play on the kurzweil. Insert a midi track and set the input channel and output channel (and i think you have to arm the track for recording too) and it should play the voice assigned to that channel in the kurzweil setup.

hope that helps

I am not an expert
    peggysuechan
    RE: How to get my user setups to sound and record? 2007/08/16 14:00:09 (permalink)
    My track only recorded the piano from Midi Recieve channel 15.

I quit. I'm getting on the tutorials. I got a decent recording of my setup by multi-recording, anyway, so that's good enough for now. A guy on Harmony Central wrote me the quote below, to which I answered:
    Thanks for your help. Problems:

Cakewalk says:
    1. Click the Echo Midi button in the track (I don't see one)
    2. or select Track-Input Monitor/Echo (I pulled down "track" and here was no "Input Monitor.")

Where is this stuff?

I have a Kurzweil PC88mx which was one generation earlier than the PC2. This is what I do:

Midi Out PC88mx -> Midi In of Computer
    Midi In PC88mx <- Midi Out of Computer
    Midi Thru PC88mx -> Midi In of many other synths

PC88mx: Local Off
    Omni Off
    Setup Channel 8 (I dedicate this to changing setups and nothing else)

Turn on the MIDI channels you want to use on the PC88mx so they will make sounds when midi events are sent to them. I use channels 9, 10, 11, 12 for this purpose and my other synths are set to receive on other channels. Now, you can send program changes on 9,10,11, and 12 to change the programs (sounds) on each channel.

The individual setups you design will determine which channels the PC88mx transmits on. For example, I could have a setup that splits the keyboard into 4 zones, each with its own channel (e.g., 9, 10, 11, 12). You can also set the program change so that when the setup is recalled, it will send the appropriate program change commands on 9, 10, 11, and 12 to change to the correct sounds. -or- You can also let the sequencer send these the program changes in 9, 10, 11, and 12 instead.

The important thing to realize is that transmit channels are controlled by setups and recieve channels are more global in nature in that they must be enabled separately from the setups and are controlled on an individual channel basis.

Cakwalk: Echo on, Omni off

Watch out for channel remapping in Cakewalk. I disable it as it cause me grief.

Hope this helps.

peggysuechan
    RE: How to get my user setups to sound and record? 2007/08/16 14:16:30 (permalink)
    Probably why I'm having so much trouble understanding everything--I'm not yet deep enough into recording.

So I'm finished here on this thread and back on the tutorials.

Thanks everyone. Goodbye.

post edited by peggysuechan - 2007/08/16 14:30:26
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1