How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB?

Author
James Argo
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 114
2018/09/18 17:27:32 (permalink)

How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB?

Hello all...
I just did fresh install of Win7 x64 in my second DAW, and straight install CbB. Since my plan is to use this PC to do MIDI sequencing only with outboard MIDI gears, I would not need any Sonar Platinum goodies in this machine.

Then I realize CbB does NOT include support for many control surfaces like previously Sonar did. Even the native Peavey Cakewalk StudioMix is not there. If I try to open Preferences--> Control Surfaces and add new controller/surfaces, the list only provide ACT MIDI controller, Cakewalk Generic Surface, and few Mackie Controls to select.

I tried to copy StudioMix.dll from my main DAW folder (Program files / Cakewalk / Shared Surfaces) to the second DAW, but CbB doesn't recognize it.

Can anyone point me how to install this Control Surface to CbB without installing Sonar Platinum?
Anyway, I wonder why CbB strips these control surfaces support which previously installed automatically installed in any Cakewalk products since Cakewalk Pro Audio 9?

Thanks!

Cakewalk by BandLab!

12 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB? 2018/09/18 17:55:28 (permalink)
    I believe many were not installed post X3. That is why this kb article was written.
    James Argo
    Re: How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB? 2018/09/18 18:08:47 (permalink)
    scook
    I believe many were not installed post X3. That is why this kb article was written.

Thanks Scook, actually I tried to install that "Cakewalk Control Surfaces Plugin 1.0.0.1" pack , however the setup won't run without Sonar installed. The popup says "Can not locate the required version of the program on this system. Please install the correct version of the program to run this pack".

I guess Noel and team has something to update very soon to make it available for CbB.

Cakewalk by BandLab!
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB? 2018/09/18 18:11:21 (permalink)
    Maybe. AFAIK, the recommendation from BandLab to install Platinum to take advantage of software bundled with Platinum has not changed. The recommendation is the same for older Cakewalk software as well. Platinum itself does not take up much space and older versions of SONAR have even more selective installers.
    msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB? 2018/09/18 18:31:32 (permalink)
    As long as the StudioMix.dll is the 64 bit version, it should still work with CbB.

However, you'll need to register it within Windows:

1. Open up a command shell (WinKey + R, then type cmd)
    2. type: regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Surfaces\StudioMix.dll"

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB? 2018/09/18 18:36:04 (permalink)
    I have access to the same Platinum bundled control surface settings in Cakewalk by BandLab, including the A-PRO plugin for my Roland keyboard.  I had Platinum and A-PRO fully installed before installing CbB.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    James Argo
    Re: How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB? 2018/09/18 18:37:11 (permalink)
    I've been always under impression that "advantage of software bundled" means those commercial products included (like plugins, ProChannel stuff, extra synths, sampler, etc") made by Cakewalk or 3rd parties, or anything which is not considered as "Cakewalk's intellectual properties". CMIIW.

AFAIK, many of those control surfaces plugins were made by Cakewalk, and does not have any commercial value on them self alone. I believe they are part of "Cakewalk's IP". I mean if everyone (with or without Sonar license) can download the pack for free from the link Scook mentioned above, then what restricts it to install (if any) to use with CbB?

Cakewalk by BandLab!
    James Argo
    Re: How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB? 2018/09/18 18:50:30 (permalink)
    msmcleod
    As long as the StudioMix.dll is the 64 bit version, it should still work with CbB.

However, you'll need to register it within Windows:

1. Open up a command shell (WinKey + R, then type cmd)
    2. type: regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Surfaces\StudioMix.dll"

Thanks for helping :-) But even if I run the cmd as admin, the module is failed to load. The DLL was copied from my main DAW (Win7 x64, running Splat x64 and CbB). I have no problem with my main DAW, all control surfaces are perfectly on list. Do you have any idea of registry hack to make it work?

Cakewalk by BandLab!
    James Argo
    Re: How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB? 2018/09/18 18:58:03 (permalink)
    abacab
    I have access to the same Platinum bundled control surface settings in Cakewalk by BandLab, including the A-PRO plugin for my Roland keyboard.  I had Platinum and A-PRO fully installed before installing CbB.

My main DAW has Splat and CbB, and both work really well. I can take advantage of what's included in Splat to use with CbB. No problem.

The problem is with the second PC which I don't feel to install both Splat and CbB *only* to have control surfaces support available in CbB.

Cakewalk by BandLab!
    msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB? 2018/09/18 19:01:28 (permalink)
    Short of installing SPLAT, I can't think of anything else off-hand.

Maybe the StudioMix.dll is looking for Sonar the same way the installer is.

Maybe try a minimal SPLAT install? It's only around 130MB if you don't install all the extras.

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB? 2018/09/19 08:26:05 (permalink)
    I guess inability to install Control Surfaces pack is simply overseen, write BandLab about that.
    They require (old) MS Runtimes which are automatically installed with Sonar, but are not there if you manually copy just DLL. You (or I...) can find which one required, install it manually and then register DLL. But that is not proper way to go...

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB? 2018/09/19 18:48:55 (permalink)
    Considering the time needed for researching a possible hack, or requesting and waiting for a hotfix from the developers, installing Platinum would be the fastest fix to get up and running now.

Agree that they should probably correct this oversight, and that would be helpful for others down the road. 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    James Argo
    Re: How to install native Cakewalk Control Surface in CbB? 2018/09/19 20:20:14 (permalink)
    azslow3
    I guess inability to install Control Surfaces pack is simply overseen, write BandLab about that.
    They require (old) MS Runtimes which are automatically installed with Sonar, but are not there if you manually copy just DLL. You (or I...) can find which one required, install it manually and then register DLL. But that is not proper way to go...

Yes, there are more than just copy pasting the DLL and the registry. It requires Ms runtime etc to make it work well. I'm not sure typical user will understand how to do that. 

Actually I can just simply install Sonar and move on. But I'm curious how those "new CbB' users (who happens don't have Sonar) will have native Cakewalk Control Surfaces support on CbB without being able installing the pack? I guess the only possible workout (for them now) is to uninstall CbB, then install Sonar Demo from Command Center, install the Control Surface pack, uninstall Sonar Demo (and leave the shared components), then reinstall CbB. It has to be in that order to avoid database error when opening CbB. To many work (and download) to do.

I hope Cakey (or BandLab) representative will see what's going on here, and manage to resolve the problem ASAP in next release.

Cakewalk by BandLab!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1