Helpful ReplyHow to just change the play length of a MIDI track?

Author
shaggydawg
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
2018/04/21 03:48:37 (permalink)

How to just change the play length of a MIDI track?

Once again I am baffled by what should be a simple process! 

I have a MIDI track that I use to control a device. I use this track on every project so rather than recreate it every time, I just delete all the other tracks in a project and keep the MIDI track, then begin a new project.

The projects are of varying lengths, so I want to be able to trim the length of this MIDI control track so the project doesn't play on and on till the end of the MIDI track. This also affects the "fit project" function because the project size is based on this MIDI track whose length I can't crop!

I've tried simply selecting the end portion of the track and hitting 'delete' but that has no effect. The length remains.

Can someone tell me what the mysteriously hidden function is to shorten my MIDI track to match the new project? (Or more likely the understanding of the issue I'm missing to make this happen.)

Thanks!
Anonymungus!
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: How to just change the play length of a MIDI track? 2018/04/21 04:36:15 (permalink)
Hey Shaggy, this should be very simple. Go to the end of the MIDI track, and shorten it by grabbing the end and drag it to the place you want (known as 'Slip Edit' I believe).  Or, you could split the track at the proper place and delete the part that is too long.  Cheers! 

Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime, Windows 10 x64, Intel Quad Core CPU@3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, (2)1.5T Hard Drives, Presonus AudioBox 44VSL, Roland A-500Pro MIDI Controller & lots more stuff

Toddskins
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
Re: How to just change the play length of a MIDI track? 2018/04/21 04:39:54 (permalink)
Not the answer, but someone here will help us find something along the lines of an "end of file" or "end of song" marker, that you can adjust in the MIDI Event List.  Problem is I just looked in the list and did not see the notation where it should be, which means Sonar is handling it differently, or actually you have to find that code in another place.

Here's something that states it must exist:  http://www.recordingblogs...-of-Track-meta-message
Toddskins
Re: How to just change the play length of a MIDI track? 2018/04/21 04:40:54 (permalink)
Anonymungus!
Hey Shaggy, this should be very simple. Go to the end of the MIDI track, and shorten it by grabbing the end and drag it to the place you want (known as 'Slip Edit' I believe).  Or, you could split the track at the proper place and delete the part that is too long.  Cheers! 

I suspect this won't work because he is working with MIDI, not audio.  
BRainbow
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 399
Re: How to just change the play length of a MIDI track? 2018/04/21 07:25:35 (permalink)
Try turning on "Ripple Edit Selection" in "Options" below the toolbar in Track View before you select the end section and hit delete.  It is supposed to work and sometimes does for me -- depending on the project.  Another thing to be sure of is that there are no stray controller events or other things like markers etc. that might not get deleted when you select a section of your MIDI track.  To be totally sure I "select all"from the "edit" menu, then re-select just the region I want to delete by cntrl-clicking on the track view timeline at the point I want the deletion to begin. Then I hit delete.  After that I select the same region the same way again and use "cut special" from the "edit" menu and make sure all the check-boxes (including "delete hole") are ticked before I cut.  Again, be sure "Ripple Edit Selection" is checked before you do this.

If that doesn't do it, I'm sorry but this has been a bug in SONAR/Cakewalk for a long time, at least on a number of my projects.  We all want the tape to stop rolling at the end of the song but often is doesn't despite these meticulous procedures.  Good luck.

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: How to just change the play length of a MIDI track? 2018/04/21 09:14:13 (permalink)
Slip editing is definitely the way to do it as described above - just drag the right hand edge of the clip backwards to the desired length

Then, right click the clip and choose "apply trimming"

Also, there is absolutely no need to save a separate project with the original clip in it - just drag it to your desktop and import it into any project you want.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: How to just change the play length of a MIDI track? 2018/04/21 09:15:26 (permalink)
Going to the Event view and making sure there are no events after the desired length is one thing to do, maybe.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: How to just change the play length of a MIDI track? 2018/04/21 09:21:38 (permalink)
Hi Kalle.

I don't think this will be an issue for the OP until he follows the steps outlined above.

His problem with "fit to project" seems to revolve around this one long Midi clip

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
shaggydawg
Re: How to just change the play length of a MIDI track? 2018/04/21 20:33:35 (permalink)
Well thank you everyone for your input. It occurred to me that I normally run SONAR HS, and that has led to a lot of problems/misunderstandings in the past, e.g., it didn't have a lot of the features mentioned in your replies.

So I've reopened the project in my recently downloaded Cakewalk re-release, which is more full-featured.

Anyway, I seemed to have been able to clean up my offending MIDI track. It actually had a couple of tracks overlaid onto it. How that happened, I don't know. I deleted all of that and am now down to a nice clean MIDI track with what appears to be a proper length, and "fit to project" works correctly.

The last problem I guess is another universal issue. How do I get my project to stop playing at the end of the tracks?? That issue did not get fixed. I've found this to be very inconsistent when using SONAR/Cakewalk. Sometimes it's good, other times it stops a few measures late, other times, like now, it just keeps playing forever until told to stop. Goofy!

Thanks all.
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: How to just change the play length of a MIDI track? 2018/04/21 22:27:38 (permalink)
Cakewalk has never stopped at the end. I think it only does this when you use the playlist feature. 
Why would it matter? 
If you wonder off to get a cup of coffee it will play for hours until you come back and stop it. Your not meant to wander off. Your supposed to be working on something. 
The Playlist feature is used for live gigs, I opted out as I found it too slow between songs. But many use it. 

So is that why you want it to stop? Live gigs? 
I just export the song as a WAVE file, no issues for over 12 years. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

shaggydawg
Re: How to just change the play length of a MIDI track? 2018/04/21 22:56:53 (permalink)
I suppose you're right. It's expected behavior (for me, anyway), but not really necessary.

I did try playlisting in SONAR for a couple of live gigs and it was just 'ok'. I would open all the songs in a set prior to performing to try to minimize any delay between songs. I lived with it. It was also cumbersome for a number of other reasons.

Yes, there are much more suitable setups for live playlisting, and now I use SONAR to just produce tracks, export the files, and load them into an iPad playlist app. 

Thanks.

BRainbow
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 399
Re: How to just change the play length of a MIDI track? 2018/04/21 23:52:28 (permalink)
"Won't stop at end of song" is the feature I was addressing in my post above.  Glad you solved your other problem, Dawg.  You'll love the depth of Cakewalk.

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
Toddskins
Re: How to just change the play length of a MIDI track? 2018/04/22 12:17:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/04/24 21:34:59
Cactus Music
Cakewalk has never stopped at the end. I think it only does this when you use the playlist feature. 
Why would it matter? 
If you wonder off to get a cup of coffee it will play for hours until you come back and stop it. Your not meant to wander off. Your supposed to be working on something. 
The Playlist feature is used for live gigs, I opted out as I found it too slow between songs. But many use it. 

So is that why you want it to stop? Live gigs? 
I just export the song as a WAVE file, no issues for over 12 years. 

In the Track View click on the menu Options, and at the bottom of the list is "Stop at Project End".  Click that on.

I'm on X3 Producer, but it should probably still be there.
shaggydawg
Re: How to just change the play length of a MIDI track? 2018/04/24 20:26:35 (permalink)
"Stop at Project End" fixed my run-on issue! :-)

Thank you, my brethren.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1