How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Telewhacker
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2008/05/03 15:07:24 (permalink)

How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin?

Hey guys,
I've installed the demo version of Amplitube2 but it doen't show up in my effects bin. AmplitubeLE shows up but not 2, any ideas? Thanks!

46 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/03 16:34:35 (permalink)
    Hi there Telewhacker

Just a few ideas to see if they ring any bells:

* Have you unzipped the download file?

* Have you scanned it's location with the VST Adapter?

* Unlike Amplitube LE which installed with GT3, your scanned download of Amplitube 2 will be in the VST list under 'Audio Effects' - did you look there for it?

Let us know if anything there gets you going TW, if not we'll have to dig a little deeper.

Steve

Edit - speeling error

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/05/03 16:54:22

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Telewhacker
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/03 17:05:47 (permalink)
    Hi Steve,
    Ah yes, scan with the VST adapter! Thank you!
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/03 17:07:28 (permalink)

Glad to help TW.

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/03 17:20:09 (permalink)

Telewhacker - if you haven't already got it, click on THIS LINK to get FreeAmp3 - it's completely free and is very good.

Make sure to download the full version - it comes with a nice set of stomp boxes.

Steve

Telewhacker
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/03 19:03:53 (permalink)
    Thank you, Steve! I've actually got a "RoomfullaFender" but this is so much more convenient. Your "Caroline" really kicks - very inspiring. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!
    pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/03 21:18:10 (permalink)
    Amplitube is a heap of crap. It's very noisey and inaccurate. Any other amp simulator will work far better.
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/04 17:34:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pistolpete

Amplitube is a heap of crap. It's very noisey and inaccurate. Any other amp simulator will work far better.

Facts please...

Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 08:58:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK
    Facts please...

Current Temperature in Worcester, UK as of 13:54 BST is 19.3 C, the sun will set at 20:41. The sky is blue, and the sea is green in certain parts of the world, and the only certainty is death and taxes.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 10:57:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Doc_Hollingsworth

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK
    Facts please...

Current Temperature in Worcester, UK as of 13:54 BST is 19.3 C, the sun will set at 20:41. The sky is blue, and the sea is green in certain parts of the world, and the only certainty is death and taxes.

These are some great facts Doc - 100% true and 0% latent

Doc_Hollingsworth
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 11:03:53 (permalink)
    Better than BT and BBC combined?

Doc
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 11:04:57 (permalink)

Better than BT and BBC combined?

LOL - No comment on BT but the BBC shows Dr Who so they can't be all bad!

Doc_Hollingsworth
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 11:06:31 (permalink)
    I never said they were bad. Just a bit latent.

Doc

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 11:09:52 (permalink)

I never said they were bad. Just a bit latent.

Judging by the amount of repeats they show, I'd say you were right!

Mind you Doc, they apparently don't call them repeats in BBC-speak anymore, they are now introduced as 'Another chance to see...'

Doc_Hollingsworth
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 11:21:15 (permalink)
    well they could call it a reiteration.

Doc

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 11:29:33 (permalink)

That's a BBC word for sure!

Telewhacker
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 11:52:34 (permalink)
    Hey guys, I've been browsing these forums for the past couple of days and have noticed that you guys are among the most helpful. What can you say about pistolpete? Gotta have somebody who keeps it real, eh? Anyway...

I tried quite a few amp plug-ins over the weekend and Freeamp although limited probably sounded about as good as anything else. Steve really got me going on the UX2 and I was thinking about picking that up. I could swing a POD XT and was wondering if there is any advantage to getting the UX2 over the POD XT.

One more question. I've been using Drums On Demand for my drum tracks but EZ Drummer has really caught my attention. Do I need to buy anything else to use EZ Drummer or can I use it with GTP3 without anything additional.

GREAT forum and in browsing the forums, I have to say it's incredible how helpful and patient you guys are!
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 12:50:00 (permalink)
    I'll let Strummy address the POD. The Toneports allow for ease of use in recording and allow you to add model packs that you want to the package in modules rather than getting a whole bunch of stuff that you may not necessarily want. You might want to check into the POD XT Live though as it appears to have a lot bang for the buck if you are using for live stuff as well as recording.

As for EZ drummer. It requires a VSTi Host which GTP3 isn't. However, Toontrack will be coming out with a standalone MIDI player and editor called EZPlayer Pro which should be out soon. This would allow you to build your drum tracks and play them using EZPlayer Pro as the VST host.

Doc

Telewhacker
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 13:15:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, Doc. My live performing days are far behind me and it's just me at home with the family. Although I have a nice collection of Fender amps, you can't beat direct recording for convenience and keeping from disturbing everybody if I should have an idea at 2:00am. The XT is probably over-kill. Is the sound quality the same?

I didn't even know what VST was until this weekend and know just a little more now. I guess there's a difference between VST and VSTi obviously.

Thanks for chiming in, Doc, I really appreciate it.
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 15:16:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for the kind remarks TW, that's really appreciated.

For the record, I like helping as much as I can because of the way I was helped when I first started using GT by guys like Doc, RobertB and a few others; now I'm up to speed thanks to these guys it's nice to put a bit back I guess.

As you can also see, we have a laugh in here so feel free to chip in anytime - the traffic's pretty slow compared to the Sonar forums so if there's a few of us in and all questions are sorted - it's good to talk, as someone once said.

As for pistolpete, you didn't take long to suss this idiot out - over 800 posts of nothing but moaning, whining and generally making himself appear less intelligent than most species of pond life [make that all species of pond life actually]. Best advice is to ignore any so called advice he offers and when he starts getting arsey, just feel free to call him out and then ignore him as best you can!.

VST stands for 'Virtual Studio Technology' and is an umbrella term for any recording related software that emulates a hardware product. It is most commonly applied to VST 'Plug-Ins', which are 'plugged in ' to your recording program once scanned by a VST adapter. The Amplitube is a good example but there are loads of them, a lot completely free, that emulate hardware gear like reverbs, delay, compression, EQ etc.

As far as I'm aware, VSTi relates to VST Instruments which can only run in a host that can support them - as Doc says, Guitar tracks doesn't have this facility; examples of VSTi's would be software synthesizers [softsynths] and EZ Drummer.

Now to the Line 6 gear.

As Doc mentioned I own a POD2, it's fairly primitive compared to the newer XT and the X3 as far as I can tell. I have no first hand knowledge of the XT but I'm pretty certain you can hook it up to your PC and they can interact to some extent.

I used my POD to record into the soundcard of my old PC and it certainly had the tones and the effects but I found it very limiting to record with - why I really got it was that I could also run it into an amp if I wanted to play 'live' with it.

As I say, I can't speak for the newer PODs but I found mine to be a bit of a compromise between a genuine interface to record to a PC and a pedal board.

Also, my old PC didn't have enough RAM to justify getting a TonePort then but my new PC has loads of RAM - once I'd acquired it was when I had to make the decision that you're pondering now TW. My circumstances sound very similar - I need to record without high volume amps as well.

As I don't play live [well, I do jam with a mate of mine and then there's practicing ] I decided that my POD would be ideal for that but for recording, I went for the TonePort UX2.

I've said it before but I maintain that the TonePort was the single best investment I made in my DAW [Digital Audio Workstation - it's quicker to type than 'computer desk + PC + some wires + some recording software!!] - and in my opinion, great value for money.

In the package, you get the TonePort itself, with all the inputs/outputs you'll need for the time being plus the bundled 'Gearbox' software which has all the amp and cabinet models and a shed load of user controllable effects and processors [there are loads of presets to get you started as well]. As well as the excellent guitar stuff the UX2 also has amps/cabs for vocals and bass guitar.

The real big bonus with the TonePort is that when connected by the USB lead to your PC, it takes over the job of your PC soundcard - unless you've already done some upgrading, it's likely to be far more up to the job than your inbuilt sound card [oh, and you almost forget latency for ever].

In my opinion, and from what you've said, I can't see how you can go wrong with the TonePort TW but do your research on the XT as well as I can't offer any practical advice on that model. It's well worth watching the very informative videos for each product at the Line 6 website.

Steve

Edit - spellink
    post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/05/05 15:45:57

Telewhacker
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 22:19:05 (permalink)
    Thank you so much, Doc and Steve. UX2 here I come. It must be a real popular item because my favorite online merchant is back-ordered until June 18! I already found one for the same price.

I'm sure I'll be back with a bunch of lame questions so be prepared. Hey Steve, are you sure you're not getting a little kick-back from Line 6?
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/05 22:33:08 (permalink)
    There are no lame questions. at some point every one has a starting point. Just think if you had to go back to the days of 16 track tape decks with varispeed controllers and plate reverbs, you'd have a bunch of different questions. It's just a learning thing.

Doc

Telewhacker
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/06 08:14:55 (permalink)
    Well in that case, here's another question. Steve, you say that Gearbox includes all of the amp and cab models but I see 'Silver' and 'Gold' packages on the website. Can these be added? Are they available for download or do I have to purchase the boxed version? Are you getting by OK with what came with your initial purchase?

Edited to add: I just clicked on the link you posted and saw where it says " Compelling standard model set, expandable with model packs to total..." where do I do this?

Second edit: In looking around and considering I will want more amp models and it's just me and my guitar and no vocals, would the product below make more sense to purchase?

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LIN-GBGOLD
    post edited by Telewhacker - 2008/05/06 10:31:29
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/06 14:19:54 (permalink)
    Tele - you're right about the add-ons, there are more model packs and effects that can be purchased from Line 6 to extend your range - I think they're $50 each but they always seem to be running some offer or other on them. As I mentioned, I am happy with what came bundled but I would like the 'Metal Pack' at some stage.

Once you've installed the software, there's a link to 'Line 6 Monkey' which has details of all the free updates to your stuff plus the links to purchase these model packs, or more accurately the 'key' to unlock them, they're already built into your TonePort to save large downloads I guess.

As to the other offer TW, I'm not really familiar with the Gearbox plugin, I know Doc uses them and he likes them but I can't really help make up your mind.

It would appear that the offer is incrediblly good value if they're selling at $149 instead of $699 and as one of the reviewers mentions, the Gearbox plug-in on it's own normally sells for $149.

Reading through the specs, I find it quite difficult to see what you're getting here TW, the interface is no TonePort but you do get very low latency ToneDirect monitoring - however it looks like the Gearbox software comes as a [multi-usable] VST plugin so you may have to record your tracks dry and add the amp/cabinet/FX later - again, I'm not sure.

I'll have a deeper dig and see if I can come up with something of more use to you before that deadline runs out in about an hour and 50 minutes.

If you had a TonePort already though, and/or you think you would like all those extra amp/cab etc options, it's an absolute bargain of a price.

I'll try and get back in an hour or so.

Sreve
    post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/05/07 21:14:55

Telewhacker
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/06 14:32:17 (permalink)
    Here's what it says:

"The included USB hardware interface completes the package by delivering an optimized guitar/bass instrument input. With the included interface, GearBox gives you the option to use Line 6’s exclusive ToneDirect monitoring so musicians can get an inspiring tone without the latency issues that can ruin a great performance.

Line 6 Gear Box Gold Bundle Features

78 guitar amp and 24 cab models from POD® XT/Vetta™ II
    28 bass amp and 22 bass cab models from Bass POD® XT
    6 world-renowned vintage and modern mic preamp models
    80 plus studio and stompbox effects"

You are a VERY patient man - thanks for your help!
    post edited by Telewhacker - 2008/05/06 14:34:55
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/06 14:39:05 (permalink)

That's a lot more than on my Gearbox TW - it's probably everything they sell as add-ons as far as amp/cabs/FX goes.

I might be tempted to get it for that price and maybe see about getting a TonePort later [if you'd need one!!] - especially if the money isn't a deciding factor here TW.

The only thing I can't find out is if the 'normal' Gearbox software is included - then it would just be a case of deciding if the interface has got enough ins/outs for you.

I'm still looking TW - tried getting hold of Doc but he's unavailabl;e on his IM at the moment - if he comes on line, I'll nab him!.

It might be worth a try asking in the Gearbox Forum at Line 6 in the meantime.

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/06 14:45:27 (permalink)

TW [have you got a name mate?]

You need to be registered to use the Line 6 forums so I'm asking the question for you now.

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/06 14:48:16 (permalink)
    TW - I'm back again to apologise.

I misread the offer at AMS - I thought the offer ran out today but that's only the deadline for delivery.... D'Oh!!

That gives us a bit more time I guess - still a great offer though!

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/06 15:05:13 (permalink)

Update - here's the question I put in the line 6 forum TW:

Hi guys

I've tried researching the product specs but I need a bit of help for a friend of mine.

He's toying with the idea of getting a TonePort UX2 [which I own] but he's just spotted this offer on a "Line 6 GearBox Gold USB Audio Interface and POD Modeling Plug In Bundle" - the selling price is $149 instead of the normal $699.

Here's the webpage: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LIN-GBGOLD#FeaturedReview

Just a couple of questions arise guys and I'd really appreciate your help:

1. Does this bundle come with the 'ordinary' Gearbox software that comes with the TonePorts or is it only the plug-in version.

2. If it's plugin only, does that mean the amp/cab modelling and the FX are added after recording to a dry signal, as opposed to recording with all the processing as when using the TonePort.

3. Both the Gearbox bundle and the UX2 would suit his needs - is the offer on the bundle too good to turn up?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

If you want to check up on any replies, CLICK HERE to go straight to the thread.

Telewhacker
    RE: How to load Amplitube2 into effects bin? 2008/05/06 15:45:09 (permalink)
    Thanks, Steve. I wish somebody would answer soon!

Sam

Edited to add: Can you think of any reason that I would not want to pick this up?

"The only thing I can't find out is if the 'normal' Gearbox software is included - then it would just be a case of deciding if the interface has got enough ins/outs for you."

I only need one in and out; it's only me. Normal as opposed to...?
    post edited by Telewhacker - 2008/05/06 16:08:28
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1