How to mix with a song collection in mind

Author
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
2008/04/25 12:23:43 (permalink)

How to mix with a song collection in mind

Just been reading a thread on the Sonar forum about putting together songs for a CD, and it raised a couple of issues I've been pondering on lately.

I'm looking to produce a CD of 12 songs by the end of this year, and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts/tips/strategies about how to mix and master a dozen songs, to make a coherent 'album' (to use an old-school term ), without making the whole thing sound 'samey' and dull.

I have some ideas about constructing a running order to avoid similar tempos & feels, seperating songs in the same key, etc., but I'd be very grateful for any pointers as to what else to look out for.

The songs will have been written and recorded by the same people, with pretty much the same equipment, over the course of maybe 18 months - should I concern myself with getting the very best mix for each individual song, and worry about coherence at the mastering stage, or should I have a longer term game-plan when mixing? Or am I just over-thinking it??

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer

17 Replies Related Threads

j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/04/25 12:36:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213
    - should I concern myself with getting the very best mix for each individual song, and worry about coherence at the mastering stage,

Yes. That's my vote.

Plus, the songs might not be packaged together at some point in your future. Every song needs to stand on its own two feet IMHO.
    jamesg1213
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/04/25 13:04:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: j boy

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213
    - should I concern myself with getting the very best mix for each individual song, and worry about coherence at the mastering stage,

Yes. That's my vote.

Plus, the songs might not be packaged together at some point in your future. Every song needs to stand on its own two feet IMHO.

That's a very good point, thanks. They do have to stand up alone on places like Garageband for example.

Jyemz

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/04/25 14:04:25 (permalink)
    One thing I have noticed as an audiophile is that good albums tend to have a coherency - unless the album changes styles a lot. Having a coherent sound that is balanced and even across all songs will not cause your listener to have to change settings or volumes during playback.

Other less coherent albums have forced me to look at EQ on a per song basis which is not something i want to do when listening. I just want to sit back and enjoy. So I guess I am voting for a "sameness" across each song on the album, with only enough coloring to fit the mood of a particular piece while not effecting the mood of the entire album.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    bilbosblues
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/04/25 14:15:39 (permalink)
    James, quick thought, more later perhaps

have them use a variety of tempos and keys

have them perhaps perform acoustically, and otherwise

add flavors, the spice of life

good luck
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/04/25 15:08:00 (permalink)
    James, seems as though there are varying schools of thought on this subject. As far as arranging the song order, I'll throw this into the pot. Last night while doing a little practicing, I was playing along to a very popular artist's cd (name omitted on purpose), and found that it had been set in an order that I hadn't noticed before. The first 2 uptempo songs were in the same key, followed by a ballad and midtempo in the same key, but different than the first two. And this was the way the entire cd was. I've listened to this cd alot over the last year, and never picked up on this, but it has a nice "flow". Something to ponder.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/04/25 15:32:16 (permalink)
    James, you already have the three most important elements: your guitar, and Tim's voice, and some terrific songs. I'll bet JamzOr will have some good advice for you.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/04/25 16:21:47 (permalink)
    Song sequencing is an often-overlooked art. All the books I've read on mastering offer tips for song sequencing and consider it a very important part of the mastering process.

Do you perform these songs live? Most of the time, the order you play them onstage will be a logical album sequence, too.

When I create a set list for the stage, I'm thinking the same way as I would for sequencing tracks in an album. I want a gradual dynamic buildup for several songs, then a dynamic rest with a slow/mellow piece, and then starting a second buildup leading to a second climax. This works even if all the songs are hard or all are mellow - they'll still have a dynamic hierarchy regardless of the style or genre.

There is just one big exception to adapting set lists to album sequences: on stage, I want to open with my second-strongest song, saving the best for last. On an album, I want to always open with my strongest song, regardless of whether it's fast or slow or whatever. The only time I wouldn't follow that rule is if my strongest song was so radically different from all the rest that a new listener would be misled about what kind of album it is.

How to determine your strongest song? If you play them live, you already know which one it is. But if they haven't been performed in public, you have to find an audience to tell you which one's best. Your friends and relatives will always say they're all wonderful and you're a frickin' genius, making their advice suspect. However, if you ask them to specifically pick out their favorite song from the list, they will be remarkably consistent and reliable. That's the song you want to lead with.

Following the strongest song, order the next few tunes by dynamic content, so that each song is a buildup to the next. Then after reaching a crescendo, put in an extra second of gap and follow it with a mellow song. That extra silence lets the listener's ears relax and reset in preparation for a lighter dynamic.

It's also important to listen to the tails and intros of each song to see how they run into each other. You'll want to manually adjust the gaps between songs rather than just defaulting to the standard 2-second pause. If a song has a long fadeout, you may not need any gap at all between it and the next song. That works especially well if the following song is in the same key or starts on the same chord that the previous song ends on.

And I agree that getting a good mix on a per-song basis is more important than album cohesiveness. You'd have to work hard to mix a song that was so weird that it couldn't be successfully integrated into an album. Think about your favorite "greatest hits" CDs. I have a Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits CD that spans three decades, including the transition from analog to digital. Songs were recorded in different studios with different engineers, equipment and producers. Imagine what a challenge it must have been to master than compilation! But somebody did manage it, and did it quite well. It might be a good exercise to just listen to a few commercial compilation CDs with an ear toward song sequencing, levels and EQ.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/04/25 16:25:49 (permalink)
    Of course, these days, the whole thing might be of no real concern anymore, given the ADD/Singles orientation of the music market now.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    ru
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/04/25 17:32:00 (permalink)
    i'd also give some consideration to conceptual flow.
    words make a difference, whether people think they're listening to them or not.
    jamesg1213
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/04/26 04:03:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

One thing I have noticed as an audiophile is that good albums tend to have a coherency - unless the album changes styles a lot. Having a coherent sound that is balanced and even across all songs will not cause your listener to have to change settings or volumes during playback.

Other less coherent albums have forced me to look at EQ on a per song basis which is not something i want to do when listening. I just want to sit back and enjoy. So I guess I am voting for a "sameness" across each song on the album, with only enough coloring to fit the mood of a particular piece while not effecting the mood of the entire album.

Cheers
    Shad

That's pretty much what I'm driving at Shad, trying to achieve that coherence without the whole thing becoming one-dimensional.

ORIGINAL: bilbosblues

James, quick thought, more later perhaps

have them use a variety of tempos and keys

have them perhaps perform acoustically, and otherwise

add flavors, the spice of life

good luck

Thanks Jonathan, good points. We do have a number of slow to mid tempo tunes, and I'm conscious that these will need to be seperated by uptempo ones.

ORIGINAL: rsp@odyssey.net

James, seems as though there are varying schools of thought on this subject. As far as arranging the song order, I'll throw this into the pot. Last night while doing a little practicing, I was playing along to a very popular artist's cd (name omitted on purpose), and found that it had been set in an order that I hadn't noticed before. The first 2 uptempo songs were in the same key, followed by a ballad and midtempo in the same key, but different than the first two. And this was the way the entire cd was. I've listened to this cd alot over the last year, and never picked up on this, but it has a nice "flow". Something to ponder.

Y'know what Randy, I've noticed that on more than one occasion - having the first two songs in the same key is certainly something Rush do for example, I wonder if that's a deliberate ploy to keep the momentum going?

ORIGINAL: mcourter

James, you already have the three most important elements: your guitar, and Tim's voice, and some terrific songs. I'll bet JamzOr will have some good advice for you.

Thanks Mark! Actually I was hoping JamzOr might stop by...

ORIGINAL: bitflipper Song sequencing is an often-overlooked art. All the books I've read on mastering offer tips for song sequencing and consider it a very important part of the mastering process.

Do you perform these songs live? Most of the time, the order you play them onstage will be a logical album sequence, too.

When I create a set list for the stage, I'm thinking the same way as I would for sequencing tracks in an album. I want a gradual dynamic buildup for several songs, then a dynamic rest with a slow/mellow piece, and then starting a second buildup leading to a second climax. This works even if all the songs are hard or all are mellow - they'll still have a dynamic hierarchy regardless of the style or genre.

There is just one big exception to adapting set lists to album sequences: on stage, I want to open with my second-strongest song, saving the best for last. On an album, I want to always open with my strongest song, regardless of whether it's fast or slow or whatever. The only time I wouldn't follow that rule is if my strongest song was so radically different from all the rest that a new listener would be misled about what kind of album it is.

How to determine your strongest song? If you play them live, you already know which one it is. But if they haven't been performed in public, you have to find an audience to tell you which one's best. Your friends and relatives will always say they're all wonderful and you're a frickin' genius, making their advice suspect. However, if you ask them to specifically pick out their favorite song from the list, they will be remarkably consistent and reliable. That's the song you want to lead with.

Following the strongest song, order the next few tunes by dynamic content, so that each song is a buildup to the next. Then after reaching a crescendo, put in an extra second of gap and follow it with a mellow song. That extra silence lets the listener's ears relax and reset in preparation for a lighter dynamic.

It's also important to listen to the tails and intros of each song to see how they run into each other. You'll want to manually adjust the gaps between songs rather than just defaulting to the standard 2-second pause. If a song has a long fadeout, you may not need any gap at all between it and the next song. That works especially well if the following song is in the same key or starts on the same chord that the previous song ends on.

And I agree that getting a good mix on a per-song basis is more important than album cohesiveness. You'd have to work hard to mix a song that was so weird that it couldn't be successfully integrated into an album. Think about your favorite "greatest hits" CDs. I have a Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits CD that spans three decades, including the transition from analog to digital. Songs were recorded in different studios with different engineers, equipment and producers. Imagine what a challenge it must have been to master than compilation! But somebody did manage it, and did it quite well. It might be a good exercise to just listen to a few commercial compilation CDs with an ear toward song sequencing, levels and EQ. Song sequencing is an often-overlooked art. All the books I've read on mastering offer tips for song sequencing and consider it a very important part of the mastering process.

And I agree that getting a good mix on a per-song basis is more important than album cohesiveness. You'd have to work hard to mix a song that was so weird that it couldn't be successfully integrated into an album. Think about your favorite "greatest hits" CDs. I have a Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits CD that spans three decades, including the transition from analog to digital. Songs were recorded in different studios with different engineers, equipment and producers. Imagine what a challenge it must have been to master than compilation! But somebody did manage it, and did it quite well. It might be a good exercise to just listen to a few commercial compilation CDs with an ear toward song sequencing, levels and EQ.

Dave, some excellent thoughts, thanks very much for all this. I really like that idea about the extra bit of silence after a build-up. This is a long-distance project, with 2 of us in the UK and other musicians in the US, so these songs have never been played live, but I can understand your logic fully.

ORIGINAL: droddey

Of course, these days, the whole thing might be of no real concern anymore, given the ADD/Singles orientation of the music market now.

Well Dean, that though has crossed my mind, but I'm still determined to put together a collection, for our own satisfaction if nothing else!

ORIGINAL: ru

i'd also give some consideration to conceptual flow.
    words make a difference, whether people think they're listening to them or not.

Agreed.
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2008/04/26 04:37:19

Jyemz

Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/04/26 12:37:16 (permalink)
    Hey James,

You've already got some good advice here.
    I'd say just mix the songs to sound their best, then maybe adjust their overall EQ to be in the same realm with the rest of the songs. They don't need to be "the same", but just in the ballpark.

I've mastered CDs full of songs that were recorded over long periods, using different gear and techniques, and different styles. It's possible to bring them all together during mastering. Track order is probably the key to this.

Good luck!

bilbosblues
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/04/26 13:08:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bitflipper

Song sequencing is an often-overlooked art. All the books I've read on mastering offer tips for song sequencing and consider it a very important part of the mastering process.

wow Dave, awesome; I'm going to print this out for the guy that's here studying, and frantic with excitement over his first solo drum project
    it's his first foray into it all
    post edited by bilbosblues - 2008/04/26 14:59:26
    taurusthecat
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/05/20 15:32:37 (permalink)
    One thing you can do if you are worried about the whole album being 'samey', being that you have the same instruments, performers etc throughout, is to include on a few tracks some novel percussive instrument. Sort of like a 'guest performer'. Include some claves or depending what sort of track it is, something high and resonant like a triangle, or I like to use bongos or congas sometimes to give atmosphere. I know that it might be hard if the tracks are going to be performed live and need to be true to the live performance, you then have to consider being physically able to incorporate that instrument into a live performance when maybe no-one can play it, but for the purposes of recorded music which is not going to be performed live, you can use a sample percussion loop and include one novel sound (with restraint, like only in the chorus or only in bridges, usually just coming in and out sporadically) and using only that sound in that one track, it can set that track aside from the others yet retain the cohesiveness where the rest of the content is concerned. I have a Tony Bennet album from years ago called "The Beat of my Heart", each track had a different guest artist who played percussion on only one track and each track had a different flavour because of this. What brought it all together was Tony's voice and the orchestrations. Anyway, small things can make a big difference, and I find that adding just one little element which is not repeated in any other track will help set that track apart from the others yet not make it too different either. (It's important not to highlight this instrument too much volume-wise, it's enough to just have it there buried in the mix, loud enough so it's just noticeable but not so it distracts, you want the effect to be subtle if you do it, so it's almost subliminal.)

One other thing I can think of which you might try to make each track slightly different is to apply an instance of Vintage Channel to the master-out bus, and then experiment with the different presets. I've found I can get lots of variety in different tracks by experimenting with different presets in Vintage Channel, applying them to the mix as a whole, it alters the tone of the whole track but the track still sounds bascially the same. And not just the presets which say they're for mixes either, I've had interesting results using presets in that program which are designed for guitars and vocals and synths too. You could try using different presets on different tracks in the album to give each track a slightly different overall tone. But personally, I use the approach of incorporating one or two 'guest' instruments on each track, be they percussion or wind, whatever, it makes each track stand-out from the rest. I also sometimes use the same 'guest' instrument on a second track once in a while to give a deeper layer of cohesion to the whole project (as in interior decorating the saying goes; "two of something makes it a theme") but never in more than two tracks as this would dilute the effect of having something different coming up for the listener. Just accent your tracks with something light which doesn't exist in the rest of the album and it will give it something special even though the playlist of the album is more or less similar in content. I have the most success with using percussive instruments for this purpose, they seem to blend better with everything than instruments do. It depends on the track really.

*edit* what I personally do to decide the final order of tracks, is to create a playlist in Winamp or whatever media player you use on your computer, I make mp3's of all my tracks, put them in the player in one single playlist, then I play the thing over and over on repeat. As time goes by, I start moving tracks around then just keep letting it play over and over. Sooner or later the order of the songs becomes apparent to me as it just seems to flow. I turn myself into a listener, not a producer, I have the music playing in the background and hear it as someone who bought it would hear it. I go about my business around the house or online and if a track is in the wrong spot, it will jar me. Over time, playing it over and over, I keep moving songs and sooner or later I'm happy with the order. I agree totally with previous posters, you start with a strong song, build tension, have quiet breaks to prepare for the next up-tempo number. It's a journey for the listener after all, so you have to think of it from their point of view. Too many fast songs in a row will tire their ears and tune-them out, too many slow ones in a row will bore them. Just as they think it's all too slow, wham them with a fast one, after they have bopped to a couple of up-tempo numbers, give them something nice and soothing to come down on. The whole album should be like a little roller coaster for the listener with all sorts of ups and down along the way, just as they think they know what's coming next, throw something at them which they weren't expecting.

Anyway, goodluck with your project.

Taurus
    post edited by taurusthecat - 2008/05/20 16:15:15

I'm like fake fruit...... I don't bruise that easy......
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/05/20 19:55:35 (permalink)
    Hey James, Just in case you missed this thread check it out, lots of good info:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=475013&mpage=1&key=

Some of My Tunes

HS 6 XL, M-audio Delta 44, Digitech GNX3000, Dell Dimension 8400 Pentuim 4 3.4 Ghz, 2GB Ram
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/05/20 20:26:40 (permalink)
    i actually disagree with Dave (Bitflipper), it's never happened before and i'm sure it'll almost never happen again......i can't think of a single one of my favourite albums where the opener has been the 'best' song...if it's a demo then different,you wanna grab em, but if it's an album, presumably it's been bought or stolen already...the opener should be either an intro-specific piece or a catchy number which showcases you style etc

your best song should be around 50 - 75% of the way thru, the album builds up to it and then finshes with a suitable end song...thinking more about it now, looking at all my albums, very very few have my favourite song first...
    but as ever
    YMMV

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    apell
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/05/20 23:52:34 (permalink)
    I always try to mix up the tempos and keys of the song on CDs I've released. Try and avoid having 3 mid tempo songs in an E in a row.

Otherwise while mixing if the instrumentation is basically the same across the tracks listen to previously mixed tracks when starting a new one to ensure that tone levels between the instruments and the overall track levels are similar. They don't have to be exactly the same ibut is it best to have some consistency in the sound. Professional mastering will ensure that all the finer levels and EQs adjustments are right and balanced for the final tracks as an album.

Anthony Pell. (APELL)
    "Wild & Completely Unbridled Electronica" - inthemix.com.au
    www.apellmusic.com
    www.myspace.com/apellmusic
    www.youtube.com/apellmusic
    AJ_0000
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 738
    RE: How to mix with a song collection in mind 2008/05/23 01:58:53 (permalink)
    A minor unrelated point: there is nothing outdated about the term "album". What is a "record"? A recording. The format doesn't matter. What is a "record album"? A collection of records, like a photo album. "Album" is a relevant term regardless of the format.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1