How to record Live Concert?

Author
THE ASIDORS SINGERS
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
2005/06/13 06:42:01 (permalink)

How to record Live Concert?

What kind of recording machines they use?
Is sonar 4 is capable? How? I need to record all in different tracks to edit and mix for final reproduction.

8 Replies Related Threads

LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: How to record Live Concert? 2005/06/13 06:53:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: THE ASIDORS SINGERS

What kind of recording machines they use?

Fast, stable and reliable PCs with sufficient HD space. For backup use a second PC or e.g. ADAT concurrently.

Is sonar 4 is capable? How? I need to record all in different tracks to edit and mix for final reproduction.

Yes. Use A/D interface (soundcard) with as many mic preamps/inputs as required.

loop

johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: How to record Live Concert? 2005/06/13 07:03:58 (permalink)
    Some exspensive stuff to do it right. What kind of concert? I hope not a name act at a big venue. You would also need body guards as they don't take very well to that, 99% of the acts anyhow. They don't want anyone knowing how bad they really suck. And they want to make a buck on it also.....................JDW
    rallenjones
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 823
    RE: How to record Live Concert? 2005/06/13 11:55:33 (permalink)
    You would need a fast computer, probably the fastest you can get. You will need big RAM, at least 2 gig. You can get a soundcard with a breakout box containing up to 16 inputs for microphones, M Audio, Echo, etc.). You would plug that into your computer and, in SONAR, open up one audio channel for each mic. Of course, you would run it dry with no FX (other than perhaps compression?). Then, you would have to place the mics around the stage to capture the sound. It might be easier to try to record straight off the PA mixer.
    As Johndale alluded, it would be a major project.
    Now, you don't HAVE to do it that way.
    If you're talking about a school play or a church performance, you can have your system with from 2 mics on up, deciding at which stage to stop.
    Of course, anytime you record separately from the PA mixer, you'll have to learn about mic placement, the type of mic you want.
    Major project.
    LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: How to record Live Concert? 2005/06/13 13:38:31 (permalink)
    run it dry with no FX (other than perhaps compression?).

IMHO, that makes no sense. On A/D conversion, digital recordings hit the soundcard first - then the track FX. It makes on difference while tracking; if you want compression on the input stream, run through a hardware compressor BEFORE you get to the PC. Or use a dedicated DSP card.

loop

bitman
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4105
    RE: How to record Live Concert? 2005/06/13 15:16:36 (permalink)
    I..... just did one this weekend.

I have used two pcs before (one for backup) but that's alot of stuff to set up and Pcs make me nervous
    when I only have one shot at it.

Now I just take my good 'ole ADAT. Then I transfer those tracks into the DAW when I get back to
    the studio. I do any editing like deleteing dead time and such in the DAW.

No fan/HD noise on site 'neither!

bthompson
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 227
    RE: How to record Live Concert? 2005/06/14 09:58:59 (permalink)
    Almost all the recording I do is live. I have 2 systems, one with a regular desktop PC with a Motu 24i and homebrew preamps, and a smaller one with an IBM laptop and a Presonus firepod. The audio on both is just fine and honestly I can'r really tell them apart on live recordings. I have a larger system that I use to do the mixing and mastering. The tracking machines are very bare, they don't need much in the way of plugins, etc.

The whole thing with the tracking machines is stability. Basic tracking doesn't require much CPU power but you do need a good stable disk system. I've been using Seagate Barracuda drives with good luck. I learned the hard way that some motherboards and chipsets don't get along with the older Motu 324 based hardware. I'm now using MSI 745 Ultra boards with SIS 745 chipsets and these have been working very well. (thanks Scott Reams)

If I had it to do over again I might use something like the Mackie hard disk recorder for tracking and mix with Sonar but I went down the PC road and see no need to change now.

It *is* possible to make excellent live recordings with Sonar, a multitrack interface, and a PC.

--
    Bill
    jt
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: How to record Live Concert? 2005/06/14 10:48:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bthompson
    It *is* possible to make excellent live recordings with Sonar, a multitrack interface, and a PC.

Yes, indeed. I'm using SONAR with the Layla24 with ADAT I/O. I have done many live recordings that have been up to 100 minutes long without a problem with my laptop and external USB 7200RPM drive. 16 simultaneous tracks, 48KHz, 24bit.

echo has recently released a 12 channel firewire interface that can be chained with multiple units to increase the simultaneous track count. Perhaps something to look into.
    Guitarmech111
    Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5085
    RE: How to record Live Concert? 2005/06/14 11:38:03 (permalink)
    Now I just take my good 'ole ADAT. Then I transfer those tracks into the DAW when I get back to
    the studio. I do any editing like deleteing dead time and such in the DAW.

No fan/HD noise on site 'neither!

This is how I use my HD24. Then when in the studio, overdubs with the imported tracks.

Peace,
    Conley Shepherd
    Joyful Noise Productions
    PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1