How to record plug-in synth audio in real-time?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
RE: How to record plug-in synth audio in real-time? 2007/12/24 09:36:43 (permalink)
I see the point about synths that generate non deterministic output, but these are more the exception than the rule.
It seems like it might actually be a bug if the synth was that non deterministic that it generated output that was so drastically different to be audibly different. Maybe the developer intended it to be this way - I'm not sure.

Perhaps you could use the external insert using a loopback cable to record it back. We've considered adding synth audio recording many times but it always falls off the plate due to other features that are more pressing.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
ru
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
RE: How to record plug-in synth audio in real-time? 2007/12/24 11:03:51 (permalink)
i'll cast a vote for adding it, noel. there's a number of us who resort to less efficient means to accomplish this.
non-deterministic synths may be the exception, but they have a special role. a lot of folks don't seem to get it or care, but for some there's no substitute.
aaronk
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1275
RE: How to record plug-in synth audio in real-time? 2007/12/24 19:12:17 (permalink)
It seems like it might actually be a bug if the synth was that non deterministic that it generated output that was so drastically different to be audibly different. Maybe the developer intended it to be this way - I'm not sure.

AAS (Tassman) would be surprised to hear that! One of the things that makes Tassman so lifelike, as well as enjoyable to play, is that is responds like a real-world instrument; in part, I believe (without knowing) this is because the programming includes some of the same "chaos" that exists in the real world. You can blow into a flute 5 times "the same way" and the air will move through the tube differently each time.

The example of music notation as opposed to recording an instrument applies: Sure, every violin playing a notated part will sound more or less the same, but every performance will be a bit different. SONAR users wouldn't settle for the answer, "Well, you can save the staff notation, it will always sound the same when the fiddler plays it back."

A soft synth these days can be so much more than just a device that captures and replays MIDI data!

Two more examples: (1) Reaktor includes a bunch of noise/sound sculpting synths, emphatically based around random elements. A player can improvise with these synths, and midi can capture the way sliders and knobs move, but since the instruments are BASED ON randomized elements, replaying the midi file won't recreate the same performance.

(2) My keyboard includes channel AT. I generally have this turned off in global options as a recorded parameter, per CW's wise recommendation, since it generates so much MIDI data. But if I'm improvising on a synth that happens to respond to AT, but forget to reset my global options, I end up not capturing that aspect of my performance. (This has happened to me!) Routinely recording audio as well as MIDI would safeguard against this.

CW provides several different kinds of dither. I bet the majority of SONAR users can't hear any difference. Is it a bug if different dithering algorithms give audibly different results? The point is, many of us do sweat the smallest details -- I bet that's why CW gives us dithering options, since some users DO care about things most people can't even distinguish.

Oh well, I've said my piece. Merry Christmas to All!
Desperate Dan
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1554
RE: How to record plug-in synth audio in real-time? 2007/12/25 10:06:21 (permalink)
SONAR can't record the output of a soft-synth in real-time. This is an irritating limitation

If I am not mistaken all of this hinges on how versatile your Audio interface is. For example an RME Fireface 800 has a Matrix routing screen where any input or output can be routed to any other for recording purposes.

I Dont think it's a Sonar limitation. For example if you use a SoundBlaster you can set the Recording option to "What you hear" which will capture all the output, you just have to watch out for Feedback which is an inherent problem when doing things like this. nLatency is also a factor but a newish Dual core or Core 2 Duo or similar should handle this easily.

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down
aaronk
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1275
RE: How to record plug-in synth audio in real-time? 2007/12/26 18:42:51 (permalink)
I Dont think it's a Sonar limitation.

No one's disputing that a soft synth can be recorded in real time. The "complaint" is that it's not as easy as it could be -- and this is indeed a SONAR limitation. Some of us (or maybe just me) would like to be able to use the output of a synth track as the input to an audio track, so the recording is done directly in SONAR without needing to patch the interface. You'd just set an audio track to record directly from the output of the synth track, arm it, and play.

nprime
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2423
RE: How to record plug-in synth audio in real-time? 2007/12/26 19:11:52 (permalink)
It just seems so obvious.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
Desperate Dan
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1554
RE: How to record plug-in synth audio in real-time? 2007/12/27 03:42:41 (permalink)
No one's disputing that a soft synth can be recorded in real time. The "complaint" is that it's not as easy as it could be

I Agree it's not the easiest thing in the world to achieve, but as you say it should be made easier.

Maybe we should put it on the wishlist for Sonar 8

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
RE: How to record plug-in synth audio in real-time? 2008/01/02 14:59:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: aaronk

I Dont think it's a Sonar limitation.

No one's disputing that a soft synth can be recorded in real time. The "complaint" is that it's not as easy as it could be -- and this is indeed a SONAR limitation. Some of us (or maybe just me) would like to be able to use the output of a synth track as the input to an audio track, so the recording is done directly in SONAR without needing to patch the interface. You'd just set an audio track to record directly from the output of the synth track, arm it, and play.

Oh, I want it to! :)
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1