How to run GT2 or GT3 on Vista, Easy answer

Author
Kip
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2009/07/05 04:45:38 (permalink)

How to run GT2 or GT3 on Vista, Easy answer

Although there is another post on this, it is complicated and possibly meant to misinform. The answer was given two years ago on this same forum and is fairly simple (I know because I'm running GT2 on Vista without problems).
Here is a paste from that thread that explains how to do it:
...................................................................................
DRHollingsworth -> RE: Guitar Tracks Pro v3.0 problems (6/28/2007 5:02:55 PM)

Hi Jimmy and welcome.

Two things about running GTP3 on Vista. You will need to run it in compatibility mode and Vista is not officially supported.

In order to set GTP3 to run in compatibility mode go to Start> All Programs> Cakewalk > and right click on Guitar Tracks Pro 3. Select "Properties."
In the Properties Window select the "Compatibility" tab and click on the check box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and in the drop down select "Windows XP SP2." In the "Privilege Level" section of the same tab select "Run this program as Administrator." The select "Ok."

One of the things I found in using GTP3 on Vista, at least on my machine is it only likes 2 kinds of drivers. ASIO and MME. WDM drivers just don't work right under the Vista environment using GTP3. So what you will want to do is go to Option > Audio go to the Advanced tab and select MME for your driver type. Click Ok and then exit out of GTP3. Reopen the program. and go back to the Options > Audio selection. Now on the General tab select you sound card. Set the Buffer Size to fast. If the play back starts to chunk go back to the audio option and increase the buffer size till the chunking goes away. Be aware that the internal audio card is not designed to handle pro-audio and that latency will be an issue.

I like others here recommend that you use an external audio interface. You can get them for anywhere around $35 to $200 for a decent low cost card that will reduce or eliminate the latency issue.
....................................................................................

If you want to run GT2 or 3, this will work. If you want to argue on the internet, you can go to Pistolpete's thread.
(If you go to the 2007 thread you can see that this is an argument PP has been working on for a year. Yikes. Thread address: http://forum.cakewalk.com/printable.asp?m=1086395 ).
post edited by Kip - 2009/07/05 04:57:09

3 Replies Related Threads

bayoubill
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10899
    RE: How to run GT2 or GT3 on Vista, Easy answer 2009/07/05 09:12:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for the post Kip! I'll give it a try.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    RE: How to run GT2 or GT3 on Vista, Easy answer 2009/07/11 14:29:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kip

Although there is another post on this, it is complicated and possibly meant to misinform.

Actually the intent was to inform. Sorry if it was too technical for some people to comprehend. It was only put out there as a proven way to make it run.
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: How to run GT2 or GT3 on Vista, Easy answer 2009/07/15 10:12:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kip

Although there is another post on this, it is complicated and possibly meant to misinform. The answer was given two years ago on this same forum and is fairly simple (I know because I'm running GT2 on Vista without problems).

Hi Kip,

I'm glad you found the post helpful in getting your system up and running.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1