AnsweredHow to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ?

Author
iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
2018/04/23 15:50:43 (permalink)

How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ?

I'm struggling to get this to work. 
I've been in  Preferences/MIDI/Control Surfaces and added new control surface as Mackie Control, with FaderPort as in/out port. 
Still nothing happens ... no sign of life ... the controller itself works perfectly in SO at the moment. Any hints as to what I'm not doing right ? 
- Sven 

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
Midiboy
  • Total Posts : 414
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/23 16:56:39 (permalink)
A couple things...

1) Make sure you have the latest firmware / driver for the Faderport.  (This is important as one of the newer ones fixed the MACKIE emulations and the newer one adds Sonar Specifically as a setup option). 

2) Make sure it's in MACKIE mode and not Studio One mode.  To do this, make sure your DAW is NOT running.  Turn OFF the Faderport.  Push the 1st and 3rd select buttons and hold them down while turning on the Faderport.  Select Sonar in the scribblestrip screen.  Push the last button for OK.  Start Cakewalk. 

----
Gregg
Midiboy Music
www.facebook.com/midiboygregg

Win10x64 (Eng), Sonar Platinum x64 (Eng w/ lifetime updates), 32GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7 5820, nVidia 960, Alesis MultiMix 8 USB2 w/ Alesis MultiMix driver. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88, Korg NanoControl.
iRelevant
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/23 17:30:29 (permalink)
Midiboy
A couple things...

1) Make sure you have the latest firmware / driver for the Faderport.  (This is important as one of the newer ones fixed the MACKIE emulations and the newer one adds Sonar Specifically as a setup option). 

2) Make sure it's in MACKIE mode and not Studio One mode.  To do this, make sure your DAW is NOT running.  Turn OFF the Faderport.  Push the 1st and 3rd select buttons and hold them down while turning on the Faderport.  Select Sonar in the scribblestrip screen.  Push the last button for OK.  Start Cakewalk. 

Are we talking about the same controller ? Where is the scribblestrip screen ? 
I have the single channel Faderport btw ... just one fader and buttons.

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
Midiboy
  • Total Posts : 414
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/23 17:34:22 (permalink)
Oh!  I'm sorry...do you just have a single channel Faderport?  I have a Faderport 8 and was thinking in those terms.  I forgot that they made a single channel one and I'm not sure how to configure that one.  I am really sorry. 

----
Gregg
Midiboy Music
www.facebook.com/midiboygregg

Win10x64 (Eng), Sonar Platinum x64 (Eng w/ lifetime updates), 32GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7 5820, nVidia 960, Alesis MultiMix 8 USB2 w/ Alesis MultiMix driver. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88, Korg NanoControl.
iRelevant
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/23 18:10:39 (permalink)
Midiboy
Oh!  I'm sorry...do you just have a single channel Faderport?  I have a Faderport 8 and was thinking in those terms.  I forgot that they made a single channel one and I'm not sure how to configure that one.  I am really sorry. 

No problem, thanks for trying. 

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/23 18:22:16 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby iRelevant 2018/04/23 20:05:23
Fir single channel Faderport you need to select "Faderport" in the Control Surfaces preferences.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013368/Setup-the-PreSonus-FaderPort-as-a-SONAR-Control-Surface

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/23 18:24:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/04/23 20:26:17
Did you try reading the manual? There is a specific procedure for setting up various DAW's.

https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/FaderPort_OwnersManual_EN.pdf

Remember too that Faderport 1 runs at USB 1 speed so be careful what port you put it on. Anything else on the same port will be reduced to USB 1 speed. i.e. don't put it on the same USB port as your audio interface etc..  

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
iRelevant
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/23 20:07:41 (permalink)
azslow3
Fir single channel Faderport you need to select "Faderport" in the Control Surfaces preferences.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013368/Setup-the-PreSonus-FaderPort-as-a-SONAR-Control-Surface

Thank you very much Azslow3 ... your an angel. Followed instructions and everything is working fine.

iRelevant
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/23 20:25:25 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Did you try reading the manual? There is a specific procedure for setting up various DAW's.

https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/FaderPort_OwnersManual_EN.pdf

Remember too that Faderport 1 runs at USB 1 speed so be careful what port you put it on. Anything else on the same port will be reduced to USB 1 speed. i.e. don't put it on the same USB port as your audio interface etc..  

No I did not try to read the Fader port manual, I was working from the position that it should be recognized as a MCU compatible unit.

I searched the forum and studied the DAW documentation without finding a solution. In the aftermath I don't see how the reading Presonus Fader manual would have solved anything. There is no mention there of the procedure there that Aslow3 pointed to. 

There is definitely some room for improvement in CbB on the Control Surface usability front.

Having to go into DOS prompt modus to set up the controller is a bit heavy for the average user I think.

Thanks for your assistance in sorting this out, much appreciated.

fitzj
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/23 22:26:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/04/23 22:49:12
https://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort/downloads
Install
Ok go to  Preference
Choose Midi
Control Surfaces
Click the yellow button to add a new controller
To the right of Act Midi Controller click on the  black triangle point downwards
Select Presonus PrefaderPort
Set Input to Faderport
Output to FaderPort
Once installed you can see it under Utilities Menu or as a module  called Presonus Fader Port
Double Click on Utilities menus
Select the Presonus Prefader
Make sure the link WAI is selected
Open the console and play around with the controls on the fader port.
Hope this helps
azslow3
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/24 06:03:54 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Did you try reading the manual?...

That is interesting.... in which manual you have found that?

Modern notebooks have USB-C docking station (hub) and 1-2 USB 3.x ports. People are forced to connect everything throw the same port. Mouse, keyboard, Ethernet, disks, audio interfaces... If any USB 1.x device can "downgrade" up-link to the computer, I guess internet speed is limited to 10MBit when mouse is connected

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Jeff Evans
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/24 07:06:23 (permalink)
From Presonus themselves:

A NOTE ON USB: 

FaderPort is a USB 1.1 device. It works fine with the faster USB 2 bus but will operate at USB 1.1 speed.
Note that when you connect multiple devices to the same USB bus, the entire bus will operate at the speed of the slowest device in the chain. This applies to any USB device, including hard drives, scanners, printers, and interfaces.

This means that if you want to use a FaderPort with, for instance, an AudioBox VSL-series audio/MIDI interface, which requires USB 2, you need to connect the FaderPort to a separate and independent USB bus. Otherwise, the USB 2 device will send and receive at USB 1.1 speed, which may be inadequate.

Some computers offer multiple USB ports that are, in fact, operating on the same internal USB bus.
Check your computer's documentation to ascertain whether this is the case. If so, connecting the FaderPort to any USB port on the computer would result in all ports operating at USB 1.1 speed.

If your computer has a card slot, you may be able to add a separate USB 2 bus via a third-party card.

Most motherboards have several USB ports often in pairs and they are not on all the same USB buss. I found a spare USB out on my motherboard and all I had to do was invest in a set of connectors that slide into the space in front of an unused PCI socket and simply connected it up. Another option is to invest in a separate PCI card that offers a set of USB ports. Personally my audio interface is on the PCI buss so this did not effect me anyway. Faderport 8/16 are operating at USB 2 speed. 

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2018/04/24 07:57:24

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
azslow3
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/24 08:33:42 (permalink)
Ok. That is yet another argument for me to stay away from Presonus

USB 2.0, 11.1.1
When the hub upstream facing port is attached to an electrical environment that is operating at high-speed, the full-/low-speed hub repeater is not operational. In this electrical environment when a high-speed device is attached on downstream facing port, the routing logic will connect the port to the hub repeater and the hub repeater must operate as a high-speed repeater. In this case, when a full-/low-speed device is attached on a downstream facing port, the routing logic must connect the port to the transaction translator.

and
USB 2.0, 11.4
A hub has a special responsibility when it is operating in high-speed and has full-/low-speed devices connected on downstream facing ports. In this case, the hub must isolate the high-speed signaling environment from the full-/low-speed signaling environment.

Note, that when connecting to the computer directly, you still connect to a "hub":
USB 2.0, 5.2.3
A host includes an embedded hub called the root hub.

The compatibility situation is a more complicated in USB 3+:
USB 3.2
USB 3.2 hosts have both Enhanced SuperSpeed and USB 2.0 interfaces, which are essentially
parallel buses that may be active simultaneously.

but the spirit is the same: low/full(USB 1.x) speed devices should never slow down any high (USB 2.x)/super (USB 3.x) speed devices.

As we all know, practically some USB1/USB2 devices can have problems with USB3 ports. When USB 2 was introduced, there was also some inter-operation problems. All that was/is coming from "bugs" in particular hardware/firmware/software (incorrect implementation of a part of the standard, which was not broadly used at the time the device was developed and so was not observed during tests... we all are people). But it is wrong to use such exceptions as a rule.

Jeff Evans
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/24 09:14:37 (permalink)
The newer Faderport models of course are running at USB 2 speeds. Faderport 1 probably is fine now too.  I have noticed on my motherboard for example the USB ports are in pairs and come from various points around the motherboard so what you are saying could certainly be the case now.  They seem independent from each other.  As I mentioned I don't have a USB audio interface so cannot say.  I do have an external midi interface but it is running on its own PCI based USB card.  And it seems to perform rather well, independently of everything else.

Anyway as long as the OP got his Faderport 1 working in Sonar, and it seems  so.  If he has got it running in tandem with something else might be good to know if anything has been effected. 

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2018/04/24 12:39:16

iRelevant
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/24 13:07:46 (permalink)
I'm aware that the Faderport 1 is a USB 1.1 type of device, and that in theory it may cause problems if connected to the same buss as say an USB2 Audio device. It's nice of Presonus to mention that it surprisingly is an USB v1.1 device, which is more than can be said about their openness about their VLS1818 soundcard and all it's "issues". 

fitzj
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/04/24 21:03:03 (permalink)
I have Faderport installed and it run perfectly. No issues.
dede
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1124
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/11/29 15:01:02 (permalink)
azslow3

Hi, that's assuming you don't want to ise AZcontrolelr and use Faderport instead, right?
Anyway, az with faderport preset is not working at all here so i tried that procedure including th cmd prmpt.

iRelevant
azslow3

Thank you very much Azslow3 ... your an angel. Followed instructions and everything is working fine.

You did register faderport.dll? I don't even have that dll after install.
I do have a faderportdevice.dll but register failed...

THANKS guys, cheers
dd

D.D.
www.dedeland.com

SONAR Platinum 64bit
SONAR X3e both 32bit and 64bit
Alpha Track + TouchDaw
ASUS Maximus Hero VII (Chipset Intel Z170 Express)
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.00 GHZ/RAM 16Go 
RME Fireface UC
Win 7 x64 ultimate French
Sonar running in English
azslow3
Re: How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? 2018/11/29 16:26:59 (permalink)
dede
azslow3

Hi, that's assuming you don't want to ise AZcontrolelr and use Faderport instead, right?
Anyway, az with faderport preset is not working at all here so i tried that procedure including th cmd prmpt.
AZ is not using AZ Controller for Faderport. Not that I do not like AZ Controller, I simply do not have Faderport 

iRelevant
azslow3

You did register faderport.dll? I don't even have that dll after install.
I do have a faderportdevice.dll but register failed...

THANKS guys, cheers
dd

Welcome to the wonderful Presonus world. They have RENAMED the device, what was "Feaderport" before is now "Faderport classic". So, to follow instructions download from:
https://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort-Classic/downloads

But if you really have current "Faderport", so the new one, you are out of luck... Sonat/CbB is no longer officially supported.

PS. AZ Controller works with any device. It is just not always obvious hot to make it work with particular device...

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1