How to set up a compressor (properly)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2010/10/28 15:56:13 (permalink)
Thanks to those who have appreciated my OP. It was intended to give people a starting point. There has been some interesting discussion here too. I can see Dean's point as well but I wonder that maybe it is not a bad thing to have some sort of approach first to get there at least and then go out from there.

On attack issues when I say use a slower attack I do not necessarily mean 15ms or so. What I mean is in step 1 for example you might start with a superfast attack eg 0.1 ms. As you slowly slow down the attack it might only get to 2 ms for example before the leading edge of the sound starts to sound right. So in the end the attack could be still classed as fast but it is just slower than the initial setting. In step 1 it is more about listening to the leading edge of the sound and slowly adjusting the attack until the desired attack in the sound is reached and stopping there. That might be quite different to say a 15ms attack which is going to let a much bigger transient through.

Others here have made some interesting suggestions for compression effects. But I think though that you can still use an organised approach to it and still obtain many variations in the resulting compression. It does allow for the many variations in material you are trying to compress.

And of course if after when everything is in the mix you certainly might go back and adjust things a bit. I have found that even when you do this it is possible to go through the steps I have suggested in that order and you wil get to the desired compression effect.

Deans approach reminds me of a musician trying to play jazz but has never learned it. They will do a sort of OK job. But when someone does all the study and hard work (and there are very defined ways of learning how) and then goes out there and lets go of all that (study) and then just plays, it will sound much better. Because without even thinking about  it they are playing the right notes.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2010/10/28 16:02:56 (permalink)
If you are sifting your way through opinions presented as information...  it IS often better to simply start getting your own experience by twisting some knobs.

Or, at least retreat to the owners manual for advice.

I wish I had something like this when I was learning:

instead I had that famous dbx VCA crunch>over/hiss and a few blinky lights with some unknown response characteristic to keep me busy.

droddey
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2010/10/28 16:03:09 (permalink)
But my point IS ABOUT the study and the hard work. That's what it is. It has nothing to do with mixing. It's what you first. It's like trying different pick attacks, different pick angles, different picking positions, different fingering styles, different pickups. Anyone who plays the guitar will need to work out all these things for him or herself to figure out what he likes and what creates his or her own style.

That's what I'm talking about. This is practice. Anyone who sits down and never does anything but play what's in a book is never going to be a great player. Any great player will try everything just to see how it works. You do that as a form of practice and experimentation. You should do the same with compressors and EQs and delays and so forth. You don't wait until it's time to mix a song to do it. You do it like you would practice scales. You MAY want to try some radical experimentation sometimes during a mix. Any creative and intuitive person might. But generally the point of this is to do this experimentation as a learning exercise, in isolation, on various types of material.

post edited by droddey - 2010/10/28 16:05:00

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2010/10/28 16:20:37 (permalink)
FWIW,

I've heard the Jazz as serious study theory before... It doesn't play well down here in the South where my neighbors invented Jazz music.

There's a sort of out spoken rivalry between the two schools.of thought. One group plays what they want to play that day...  and the other group plays catch up studying all of those folks licks... all the while earning advanced degrees in recognition of the serious study.

It is not a popular subject to bring up amongst jazz enthusiasts.

best regards,
mike

Jeff Evans
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2010/10/28 18:36:23 (permalink)
Mike I am sorry, I dont want to get into a Jazz discussion although one could talk about Jazz forever. (BTW Who are you listening to right now, for me its Brad Melhdau. I am just loving the quality of the recordings too. For me Brad has redifined the Jazz trio piano bass and drums thing)

I was trying to use it as an analogy comparing organised kaos as compared to unorganised kaos. Dean's point is very valid and I don't want to convey the impression that it is not good to experiment. Of course, it is good and important. But some may be going around in circles and not getting anywhere with their compressor experimentation and the approach I suggest in my OP is just a way out of that and it might lead to a good compressed sound in less time. I suppose if you find yourself getting nowhere with experimentation then it's time to look into an organised approach to see how it turns out.

And for those who know how to use a compressor and use a different approach to my suggestion, then why not try it and see how it turns out. Isn't that a form of experimentation too.

Thanks to all those that have contributed to the discussion so far. I had no idea it was going to go onto the page 2 situation! I just had an idea to post something about compression and it has gone from there. And thanks to those who have thanked me for the tips as well. I appreciate it. For a while there I thought it might have been a bad idea but now overall I think it was an OK idea after all.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/10/28 19:00:33

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
The Maillard Reaction
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2010/10/28 20:25:01 (permalink)
It's not technically Jazz per se.. but I've been listening to Lucky and the Lion: Luckey Roberts and  Willie the Lion Smith playing Harlem Stride Piano.

I reckon it's an off shoot from a pre jazz style... if one considers Ragtime as a precursor to Jazz music rather than a early form of Jazz music.

I find it sort of fascinating that the early years of Jazz are sort of a mystery hidden in sheet music and news paper reviews rather than music recordings. Music recording arrived a few years after Jazz was breaking out nationally.

This Harlem Stride album I referred to above was recorded in the late 50's when the two layers were essentially living custodians of a old style of bar room piano playing when the recordings were made.

best regards,
mike

Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2010/10/28 23:04:47 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

Firstly this approach does apply to compressors that offer the full range of parameter adjustment. With the ones that are much simpler in their operation (and afterall that is not a bad thing) then you obviously don't have the options I have suggested. I am sure you can still get a great sound and I don't blame you for wanting that type of compressor. It just seems to work.

Rbh You simply lower the threshold during step 1 so the compressor is doing its thing. Try it my way and see what comes out. Transients first. They are vital and important. The reason why compressors overcompress is because the transients are being smashed. They are not set right from the start.

droddey You will never get it right. You will just go around in circles and never really obtain the maximum performance your compressor is capable. It certainly is vague. You will never set a compressor correctly during a mastering session that way either. What I am suggesting is a way to avoid that approach. It does not work.

Jeff you kind of made my point.  You lower the threshold so it's doing it's thing..is where I was coming from..energy levels first  then transients/ envelope control. I agree to agree then.....

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
The Maillard Reaction
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2010/10/29 07:15:07 (permalink)
Thanks for getting us all to put on our thinking caps Jeff!

Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2010/10/30 20:40:42 (permalink)
Jeff, you've given us the ABC's (ARRTs) of compression which no one here has given, IIRC.

I'll never forget your sweet pearl as I'm constantly defeating myself compressing/limiting vox, snare, kick, guitars, strings, busses, and masters ... and oft with MultiComps.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Jeff Evans
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2010/11/01 05:51:37 (permalink)
Thanks Philip. You can definately apply these principles to multiband compressors too. What is good about them is their ability to be able to handle the different parts of the frequency spectrum differently. The idea is to solo the multiband compressor bands one by one. It is a little harder to get used to just listening to quite narrow parts of the frequency spectrum at one time, especially the lower end areas. But even with the various bands in solo mode, you can still apply the ARRT approach to each band. You can also start with the lower bands and leave them on while you bring in the next band higher up and adjacent to it.

You can start by coming up with some great settings for the full spectrum first. Then transfer those settings as a starting point onto the individual bands one by one and modify them out from there to suit each band of frequencies a little more. The fact you can add or subtract gain for each band turns them into a sort of active equaliser as well making fine tuning of the various band levels a nice way to alter the overall sound too.

Another thing, if working with digital compressors you will start coming up with a similar setting of various individual instrument types as well as types of mixes. Nothing to stop you from storing these as presets and calling them up quickly for a great starting point to springboard off and tweak. Before long you will have some killer prests for either a full range compressor or multiband for a wide range of indivual instruments and mixes etc..They will still need final tuning though as there will always be variations in how a musician plays any given part and altering the qualites of the sound. eg an acoustic guitarist who might just pick a little harder and therefore you might speed up the attack a tad to ease off the hard edge to the attack part of the sound.

Also this is very relevent with the release of Producer X1. They have added even more compressors in so more important to get their settings better. Looks like and excellent thing the Pro Channel. That will be worth the upgrade alone. It is going to give a more professional sound have access to more compressors so easily. And adding some analog warmth by the looks too. Individual channel compressors will all require adjusting well and the same applies for busses etc. But getting these compressors wrong could destroy your sound too and we don't want that. They have given us the exact controls we need to do a fine job.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/11/01 17:27:30

KenB123
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1229
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2010/11/01 11:21:41 (permalink)
Jeff, Great post!

It has inspired me to try out your approach. Whether I agree or not makes no difference. What it did do is made my Compressor understanding much greater, considering I would rank my knowledge/experience on this particular device as maybe average (at best). Just working through your approach and playing around a bit has increased my knowledge immensely. Thanks. 

Broken pencils are pointless.

WIN-7 64-bit; Sonar X2A 64-bit; 12GB RAM; ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB; Intel Core i7-960; 300GB-OS (10000-RPM); 1TB-Projects (7200-RPM); 1TB-Samples (7200-RPM) 

rockinrobby
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2011/01/30 00:06:31 (permalink)
"Lets set Attack first. "

I use this same approach on first dates? But I set the release "last..." And the rohypnol usually erases the memory of the experience? Better living through chemistry. 

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
Del
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 168
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2012/08/15 12:58:24 (permalink)
  Jeff Evans, any updates to your great post; now that SonarX1 plus all the updates and Extended have been out for a while? You guys (and there are many of you!) have some great ideas/comments/suggestions and I for one, am grateful that you post them on this site! Thanks again!

Regards,
Del

www.thebrothersglaser.com

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab-64bit 

Jeff Evans
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2012/08/15 19:51:35 (permalink)
I like to think that most of my ideas in terms of setting up compressors are more generic and apply to most compressors and the compressors that are available in Sonar and many other DAW's as well will offer most or all of the basic controls and parameters. And this goes for both hardware compressors and VST's.

I did not talk about multiband compressors though and they may be worth a mention here. I think the process of setting up ARRT parameters in that order will work in a multi band situation as well. But with the added advantage of course of being able to slight modify ratios and things on a per band basis. The Threshold parameter is going to be important in multiband situations. Because you want to set it such that all the bands are reducing by the same amount and then any EQ that came before the multiband won't be effected too much. A multiband as we know can really effect the EQ of you track or buss very much. Care is required I think to keep the bands in balance.

Switching off the bands you are not interested in temporarily is also a great thing to do. That is where a multiband comes into its own I believe. Being able to only listen to the relevant parts of the spectrum you are adjusting for. But after you have reassembled everything it is also important to compare to the EQ of the track without any multiband on it to make sure the EQ is still in balance.

Del
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 168
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2012/08/18 11:03:21 (permalink)
Thanks Jeff!

Regards,
Del

www.thebrothersglaser.com

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab-64bit 

Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2012/08/18 14:50:35 (permalink)
I think this good thread was slightly crippled right in the beginning because the ones who commented (mostly in an oppposing manner) were experienced users. The first paragrapgh of the OP clearly stated that Jeff was offering an approach for folks who don't understand compressors (=beginners).

Forum members with a post count of several thousands are experienced enough to have developed their own methods and they know what they're hearing and aiming at.

A beginner does benefit from a systematic approach in order to learn the tricks. A beginner doesn't even know how a compressed sound is like, not to mention a transparently compressed. Entering a building you must choose a door, otherwise you end up walking around the block.

The forums are full of users who have started learning DAW work by "just turning some knobs", and so, after years of turning knobs they come here asking questions like "how do I convert a soft synth to audio".

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
droddey
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2012/08/18 14:53:58 (permalink)
Sigh... Whatever. Obviously you would read up on what a compressor actually does before you sit down with one, given that you should at least read the user manual for any gear you have. And there's obviously nothing wrong with trying something someone else suggests. But, ultimately, you will never understand them until you sit down with material of various characters and experiment. Every good engineer will have done a lot of this. It's not that hard. Pull up a snare and try various attack/release settings and see what happens. It's incredibly enlightening, vastly more so than reading what other people say.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2012/08/18 15:17:53 (permalink)
I actually think BOTH ways are useful...for me. I like being able to muck around with compressors and other effects but it certainly does not hurt being able to understand what the beep is going on either...

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2012/08/19 18:47:18 (permalink)
 Really cool thread Jeff, thanks. I have a workflow going with a good many of my compressors, but I certainly have an open mind and appreciate the food for thought here. 

Me

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2012/08/19 21:48:54 (permalink)
trimph1

I actually think BOTH ways are useful...for me. I like being able to muck around with compressors and other effects but it certainly does not hurt being able to understand what the beep is going on either...

I feel the same as you, trimph. One of the reasons I've sort of stayed out of this thread is due to "compression" being so subjective, there are just too many variables. I completely respect Jeff's hard work as well as everything he has offered here. Starting points and the like are all great ideas.

However, and this is where MY personal experience/opinion comes in.....every sound and transient will be different based on the instrument, the player, how it's being recorded as well as the particular compressor that is being used.

This is what I believe Dean is getting at...which if it is, I tend to favor that method. It's like a few months ago, we had a pretty killer eq/frequency discussion. You can't tell a person how to eq something without hearing it. We can say "high pass at all times" or "high pass on these particular instruments" but we can't give them a frequency number, can we? It's impossible without hearing the sound. If the sound doesn't have a lot of low end in it, it would be senseless to tell someone "well, I always high pass at 150 Hz."

If a guitar tone doesn't have meat in the 600-800 range to start with, we don't just cut it because "it worked on one project I did". The same with compression. I see it as almost impossible to give a starting point with anything other than a rough ratio setting for particular instruments....and even that is flawed thinking until you physically have the sound at your disposal to work with.

How can we give an attack setting when we haven't heard the instrument? How much release is enough? Remove -3 dB of gain or -8 dB of gain? We can't make that call. Then you factor in that EVERY compressor is going to behave/react differently, and whatever "starting point plan" you have, becomes completely useless. This is not meant to say what Jeff ( or anyone else ) has given is "useless". I'm just saying there are way too many things to take into account with this compression animal to where trial and error or "by twisting knobs" is most likely going to be what happens in *MOST* cases.

In other cases you may decide to use the formula that Bobby Owinski has provided for making drum compression work in time with the music. That's a prime example of when a formula or starting point is going to get you what you are looking for with slight trial and error. Or we know that a longer attack and shorter release with the right ratio and threshold is going to simulate what a transient plug would do on a snare drum to increase crack and resonance. Those types of settings are going to work with very little tweaking every time for just about every snare other than the subjectivity of how much crack and ring do you want on the snare.

For example, I can run the PC 4k buss comp on any snare drum using a threshold of -37.7, ratio of 4:1, attack 9.4 ms and release 0.1 and it would simulate what a transient plug would do on a snare drum to where it brings out the crack and the amount of ring. It will work every time for me and to adjust for another instrument, I tweak the threshold, the attack and release for that instrument. But those numbers alre always going to be good starting points for me to make a snare crack a bit more and sustain a bit more.

But for leveling, tightening, conditioning etc, there's no way a starting point (in my opinion) is going to help. Especially if the compressor you use vs. the one the person writing or teaching, behaves differently...and unless you are using the same one, trust me...they will behave much differently. I have some comps that I have to really jump on to hear a difference. If I listened to the stuff I read and applied it to comps like that, I'd not get the results I am looking for.

It's good to read up on the controls....it's a blessing to have people like Jeff share their knowledge for the price of an internet connection....but at the end of the day, it is in my honest and humble opinion that each compressor as well as the instrument it processes, must be treated case specific because of how many different variables there are.

It's like anything else really....each individual is going to experiment and create something that works for them. This comes from trial and error as well as how the comp performs with the instruments that are fed into it. Another example slightly off the beaten path but not entirely...

I've been told for years that a truss rod in a guitar should be set a certain way. 1 1/4 turns or something or whatever it is. I have NEVER taken notice to how many turns my truss rod gets. I turn it until the guitar I am using plays the way I want it. If it's 2 1/2 turns...so be it. When you tighten it, the neck straightens...when you loosen it, the neck smiles. How much tension you need depends on the guitar, how you play and how you want it to sound. A little string buzz can be good and add a little more of a percussive attack to a guitar. This is good as long as it's not fretting out and making a "dead" sound. Some guys (like me) like that, others like less heat on their truss so the guitar breathes a little more.

A compressor is a lot like that to me. It's something you need to feel as well as know what to listen for on YOUR material you are working with. It's also SUPER important to have examples of what a compressor does both good and bad on various instruments. I do a lesson plan with my students covering this exact thing using several compressors. So everything is really important and like trimph, though I will agree on the "both method" my heart will always belong to knob twisting, trial and error.

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Jeff Evans
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2012/08/20 09:59:21 (permalink)

I still think it is good to have a structured approach to things sometimes and compressors are in this category. I do have teaching as part of my income as well as composing and producing. And as a sound engineering teacher every day I am faced with the concepts of explaining how things like compressors work to people. Could you imagine me saying Oh just play around with the controls and see what you come up with! It would not work. So we think about structured approaches especially as a starting point and then let people bend the rules here and there. As teachers we are talking all the time about how to teach people how to sound engineer things well. This morning we were getting into how to record piano and vocals at the same time (one person) and get great separation on the two. (Any ideas!)

It is good that Danny has brought up the concept of using a compressor for more than one job as I have only explained the concept of using a slower attack to achieve a transient sound and as Danny also correctly says can add a nice pop to a snare for example. That is a great use for a compressor. 

But another great job of course is levelling. Faster attacks are well suited in this role. You want the compressor to act quickly and do its thing. (notice how if you speed up the attack setting how much more gain reduction occurs without changing threshold. Makes a huge difference. Attack effects many things and is better sorted out early.) 

But notice one can still think of the Attack setting first for the type of compressor job required. Release is also a good second thing to get around for this role too. How fast do you want this to come back? When using a compressor in limiting roles fast Attacks and fast Releases can be very effective. 

Ratio is still a good one to choose in any role next. Limiting we go for high ratios but just some over easy leveling and we might be into much smaller ratios. And of course Threshold can still be last to tidy up how much gain reduction we want to hear and see. For limiting we are using high Thresholds and that is when the compressor/limiter is just catching the odd out of context peak. For more even leveling duties Threshold can come down way lower (with quite high gain reduction) but as the Ratio is low the effect is much more transparent. This is when the lower ratio makes things sound bigger. In mastering the structured ARRT approach also definitely works well every time. No time to wander around setting compressors randomly.

Two compressors in series can be fantastic too but the first one set for limiting with a very high threshold just catching peaks. Followed by a more levelling compressor with a much lower ratio. You can get the best of both worlds. Very even but big at the same time. The Compressor > Limiter path can be wrong in some cases. Limiter > Compressor path can sound much better at times. It is not done often enough. 

Just out of interest in the other Techniques thread Mixing lessons w/ Bobby Owsinski   the man himself chimes in at one point to help clarify some points. Here is what he said about compression.

2) Wow, the compressor thing really got blown out of proportion. Forget the numbers on the things and use your ears. It doesn't matter if you start with the attack time all the way short or all the way long. What counts is that it's set so you can hear some of the attack getting through so the sound isn't too dull. As for the release time, you set it to where you don't hear it breathe, which usually works best if it's timed to the track. As far as the ratio, it's great if you can set it low and it works for you, but another way is the more dynamics, the higher you set the ratio. Again, use your ears. If you can hear it working, maybe that's perfect for the song and maybe it's not.   

Interesting he mentions these parameters in the exact order I am suggesting. Maybe I am onto something.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2012/08/20 16:33:24

Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2012/08/20 13:42:19 (permalink)
Awesome thread guys. Thanks for posting it, Jeff. I'll be trying it out soon... and then I'll fiddle with the knobs from there if necessary. Cheers.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2012/08/27 01:39:04 (permalink)
One thing that really helped me when I first started using compression was to experiment with the volume really low. When you first start out and your ears don't know what to listen for, it can be hard to hear what the compressor is actually doing. But when you listen at a real low volume, it becomes far more apparent. Worked for me anyway. 
droddey
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2012/08/27 15:24:20 (permalink)
And the other thing is, when you are first experimenting, don't be subtle initially. Let it do quite a bit of gain reduction, so that you can really hear what it's doing. Once you get your head around what it's doing, then you'll be able to listen to it being done more subtly.

And, though you should always mix with your ears, it may not be immediately apparent to you why what you are hearing is happening. So you may want to bounce down some of those unsubtly compressed tracks and compare the original and compressed wave forms, to see how the shape has changed. Has it knockd the peak all the way off, has it made the peak thinner, has it brought up the trailing part relative to the peak, Has it made a dip on the trailng end of the peak and then held down the trailing part, etc...

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re:How to set up a compressor (properly) 2012/08/31 00:45:44 (permalink)
 I'm sure most folks here have been twisting knobs on their software compressors for some time now and have already learned how to mangle audio with a compressor. I don't plan on getting set in any habit that my ears tell me is a bad idea but after trying Jeff's ARRT method I find I will probably use it for now...seems to have taken me to that same point in the road that my ears would have in a bit shorter time. 

Me

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1