How to take out bleed in recording drums?

Author
sharpdion23
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
2011/01/20 02:23:13 (permalink)

How to take out bleed in recording drums?

I am recording acoustic drums and the mic is catching other drum head sounds. how do I take this bleed of other drums out?

Win7 pro 64bit*SonarX1 PE 64 bit* AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Processor 6000+ 3.00 Ghz* 4GB Ram* 232GB HD* Cakewalk MA-15D* SPS-66 FireWire

Owner of Sonar 6 Studio* Sonar 7 PE * Sonar 8.0 PE * Sonar 8.5.3 PE * Sonar X1 PE *

Link to upload Screens: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1592276

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

10 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:How to take out bleed in recording drums? 2011/01/20 04:49:39 (permalink)
    The short answer is - you can't. Not totally anyway.

You can try gates & expanders, even automation to reduce the effect of the bleed whenever one drum isn't playing. But you'll end up with skewed levels when the drum hits again as you can't do anything about the bleed.

Much better to live with it and build it into your mix.

Engineers working in the analog domain have been doing this for decades - with huge success.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:How to take out bleed in recording drums? 2011/01/20 07:10:48 (permalink)
    As Jonesey said, bleed on acoustic drums is just part of the monster.

But...with a good understanding of your mics, you can minimize some of it with mic choice and mic placement.  "Getting" the different polar patterns of your mics and using those to your advantage goes a long way.  Placing mics so that other elements of the kit "hide" the mic from the direct bleed sources (as much as possible) is something to think about.  

The thing is....you need to think of the drum kit as a single instrument from the beginning.  Do what you can do to make your overhead and room mics sound as great as they can...because the sound of the kit in the room is often the basis for your drum sound.

Offensive - and unusable - bleed is quite often just a function of the particular drummer in question.  A good drummer understands how to balance his playing so that the kit just sounds right from the beginning.  Not crushing the hihat and cymbals...understanding dynamics....being musical....

You will find also that some mics pickup the bleed in nastier ways than others.  Off axis sounds can sound strange/phasey when all the mics are combined, so again, mic choice can be pretty important.

I can't tell you how many times I've had different drummers in here, on the same great kit, and it just sounded like a completely different kit.  One time it's useable....the next, it's crap...

Live drums takes lots and lots of practice...and can be pretty frustrating for a long time.  Experience is essential to success....you'll get there if you really want to.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:How to take out bleed in recording drums? 2011/01/20 08:17:53 (permalink)
    check this out: Miking with Mikey  It's a video with Michael Lasko... zip forward to the 30 minute mark where ML starts talking about miking drums.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:How to take out bleed in recording drums? 2011/01/20 11:21:51 (permalink)
    I've only recorded acoustic drums once (and mixed them another time when someone else recorded them). It's definitely a change of mindset compared to working with MIDI drums where your ride cymbal track is just the ride cymbal, etc. I had to get used to thinking of the combination of mics as a whole as opposed to individually.

I did remove a lot of the bleed on the kick and snare mics through use of HPF/LPF EQ. And I used some HPF EQ on the overheads to get rid of the kick drum it was picking up.
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:How to take out bleed in recording drums? 2011/01/20 12:58:20 (permalink)
    I am reminded of a great article (likely from the 80's when isolation meant everything) with Mick Fleetwood on this very subject. (paraphrasing) His response was that a Drum Kit is exactly that - a kit! It is one instrument, not many. Not only the drums and cymbals, but also the mechanics of the kit. The movement of the hi-hat pedal and kick pedal and the resonance of the hardware with every hit of a drum.  He summed it up with three simple words that stuck in my head ever since: "Let it bleed".

For pure isolation you would likely need to go to triggers and samples. As for a live kit, I'm in full agreement with the others in this thread. There are already some great suggestions, so no sense in repeating.
    post edited by codamedia - 2011/01/20 12:59:48

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:How to take out bleed in recording drums? 2011/01/20 15:50:45 (permalink)
    coda media mentioned triggers and samples. It is common practise (though I don't know how common) to record the drums, but then record samples afterwards. So maybe take samples for just the kick and snare. Might take 60 different layers at different velocities for the snare, again for the kick etc. Then using a program like drumagog, you can easily trigger all the original snare hits to play from the sampled hits, and you eliminate bleed on that track. Same again for the kick.

This is not always necessary and sometimes bleed can be what you need to make the drums really sound great. You don't always have to fight it. It can sometimes depend on the style of music you are working with, if you need to consider eliminating that bleed. A strong, processed pop song might sound better using lots of samples and gating, but a nice acoustic ballad will likely sound better with a more natural sounded bleeding, well miced kit.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:How to take out bleed in recording drums? 2011/01/20 18:48:47 (permalink)
    I know this wont be of any help for your tracks you have recorded

BUT

It might be worth geting some of theys for future http://www.primacoustic.com/crashguard.htm

I dont have them but I am planing on it if they do what they say on the tin :)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:How to take out bleed in recording drums? 2011/01/21 15:41:30 (permalink)
    The closer a microphone is to a drum head then the gain structure should help to minimise bleed. So the diaphragms of the microhopnes need to be very close to the hoops of the drums. Kick still works best inside a hole cut in the front head and minimal damping used inside. Once you set the recording level for that drum so that a normal hit produces the right level then the bleed from other drums is going to be way down.

So you need to close mike all the drums and have your overheads as usual. I have a piece of thick foam mounted above the OHeads to reduce and sound bouncing off the ceiling and coming back down onto the OHead mikes. That works quite well. Filtering the Oheads can pull out most of the sound from all the drums and leave the cymbals sound intact. Another option is to use mainly the OHeads as the sound (Full range) and bring the close miked sounds up just behind it to reinforce it.

Downward expanders work well on drums that are not played often. Norrie has a good idea with those crashguard thingies. I have used that technique between high hat and snare and it also works quite well. Hoops on the drums help to change their sound and quieten down silly overtones. (use them wisely though)

But a great quality drum kit helps and tune them too. Also a good drummer should use the variable power required on all the surfaces. eg hats and crash cymbals dont need to be smashed. Snare does not even need to be hit hard usually. Toms and kick need a stronger force. It takes skill to hit a tom hard with one hand and caress another surface at the same time. Many drummers have no idea what the low volume dynamic of their instrument produces. It is often a much nicer sound and it always records better. When drummers are not smashing others tend to play softer too.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    Re:How to take out bleed in recording drums? 2011/01/22 22:31:56 (permalink)
    First, I agree that bleed isn't necessarily a bad thing.  It's going to happen, the best you can do is minimize it, particularly on the kick and snare mics.  Placement can help, cardioid mics are designed with a dead spot behind the mic.  For example, the snare mic should be pointed at the snare obviously, but exactly off axis (or as close as you can get) from the high hat to minimize bleed.  Tom mics should be placed similarly, with any cymbal above the drum right behind the mic.  Kick mic's inside the kick through the vent on the resonant head are pretty isolated, so not much else to do there.  I've always used overheads to capture the nature of the whole kit and therefore I expect some snare, toms and even some body of the kick in there as well.  I usually start the mix with just the overheads, then bring up the kick, then the snare, then anything else.

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

MasterInTheMix
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:How to take out bleed in recording drums? 2011/01/23 00:53:39 (permalink)
    Skull and Evans have it, but you aren't even giving your drummer a chance to play it right if his headphone mix isn't right. He needs foam earplugs and a set of closed-back headphones turned up loud. Then he'll play to what is being recorded. Did that make sense? What I'm saying is that the drummer has to have a sweet mix that he can hear over the sound of the actual drums, then he will play what he wants to hear, what you want to hear, and bleed will become a non-issue. If that does not work for you, you can use audiosnap to turn the audio into midi. You'll have to peak the EQ at the fundamental note for the kick only and turn it into midi notes and then the snare, etc, and apply the hits to Session Drummer. Then you'll have zero bleed, lots of work, I've done it, sometimes you have to separate the midi notes for the low tom and the kick, and the hat and crash are hard to separate, but generally it works. Giving the drummer the right headphone mix is the easiest way to make bleed unproblematic. If he can hear what he's doing, you can get a fine recording in a dry room with only OH and Kick (like Earthworks - 3 mics for the whole kit).

Personally, I prefer the psychadellic mixes I can get with midi drums - rides drifting left to right , hat circling your head, crash blossom, wide toms, etc.  Live kits are kind-of boaring. I can do them if I have to (and I have to, because I'm in Nashville), but I don't like the limitations. Good midi drums can sound "in-the-room" in a way that live drums just can't do.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1