How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2012/08/22 18:13:52 (permalink)

best regards,
mike

18 Replies Related Threads

ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/22 19:17:35 (permalink)
    Have you looked at Cubase or Nuendo? I'm pretty sure it's something like that. Like the automation lanes introduced in X2 but with audio clips and perhaps a better comping feature

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/22 19:26:23 (permalink)
    Some of us took a survey about "live tracking" with SONAR.

The so called "automation lanes" are described as such in the new X2 promo info.

I am referring to the "New! take lanes" which I assume is the result of some effort to address live tracking tasks in a fast paced environment.

I had filled out the form with some suggestions that indicated that I hoped it might be a little easier to manage takes, or at least info about takes.

Don't get me wrong, I love layers... they are a favorite feature... but I was hoping there might be some additional logging or clip ID functionality.

I'm think, perhaps, that somehow "take lanes" may refer to something of this nature.

I'm curious.

best regards,
    mike

ProjectM
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/22 19:43:26 (permalink)
    Yeah, exactly. I probably could have explained it better. I tried to explain what they look like

But if they're anything like take lanes that I've seen in other DAW's then they look like the automation lanes shown in the X2 video but containing audio instead of envelopes. It's like tracks within the tracks instead of several clips on top of each other in the same track.

My guess is that this will open up a world of possibilities when it comes to organizing, audition and comping of multiple takes in the same time frame on a track. And if it's anything like how they work in Nuendo, where I use this nearly every day, then you'll get what you - and my self - wished for in the survey you mentioned.

Exactly how they'll work in X2 I couldn't tell you as all this is mere speculations. However this is probably the feature I'm looking forward to explore the most. I love layers too, I've just always thought there would be a better way to implement them and my vote has always been on take lanes

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    CoteRotie
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/22 19:47:24 (permalink)
    Track layers still seem buggy to me.  If you rebuild layers there's no telling where solos/mutes will show up.  Layers jump around, sometimes wind up on top of each other.  I'm hoping this feature will fix all that and provide easy comping, maybe like Reaper does.

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
    Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
    ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
    3 cats 1 crazydog
    Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
    SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
    Win 10  
    SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
    ProjectM
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/22 19:50:50 (permalink)
    CoteRotie - that's been one of my grudges with track layers too. I got my hopes up and fingers crossed

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/22 21:15:13 (permalink)
    The main difference is that the Lanes live outside of the host track, like automation lanes do. Layers, on the other hand, would all live in the main track, and things could get very small and fidgety if you had a lot of takes/ layers in a single track. 

There's also a section for writing notes next to each lane, as well as per-lane Record buttons and Edit Filters. As such you will be able to record directly into a given lane and also show Clips or AudioSnap transients on a per-lane basis, all of which were impossible with layers.

Additionally, the Inline PRV behaves uniquely as its own, independent PRV in lanes on MIDI and Instrument tracks. So, you could have multiple Lanes on a single track driving different parts of a multi-timbrel synth (handy for MIDI drum arrangement and other things). Or be able to manage different MIDI takes in their own, separate Inline PRV for editing, all with their own Mute, Solo, and Record buttons. 

As you can see its a pretty big feature that touches many aspects of the program. We should have a blog post about this feature in the coming weeks with screenshots and a more in depth explanation. 

SP

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/22 21:25:42 (permalink)
    Thanks Seth.

Thanks Project M for elaborating I wasn't aware of the other examples you were speaking of so it didn't make sense to me. Thanks for taking the time to follow up.

all the best,
    mike

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/22 21:39:39 (permalink)
    Quick question.

How will the Take lanes effect the practice of monitoring input echo while recording.

I've abandoned hardware monitor routing and I no longer use the monitor matrix on my MOTU stuff either. I've become accustomed to setting up monitoring through SONAR and using pretty much any effect I wish as well.

When I consider the idea that the take lanes live outside the track it makes me wonder how input echo is going to work.

Will I still be able to live the dream and run the tracking monitoring through SONAR and it's fx bin and enjoy the low latency performance as I have for the past few years?

best regards,
    mike

Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/22 22:20:35 (permalink)
    Sounds like a lesser track folder the difference being that each lane is still subject to the single out/input of the track.

Looking forward to the automation lanes though. Clip automation is still withing the clip?

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Michael Five
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 366
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/23 03:42:27 (permalink)
    CoteRotie

Track layers still seem buggy to me.  If you rebuild layers there's no telling where solos/mutes will show up.  Layers jump around, sometimes wind up on top of each other.  I'm hoping this feature will fix all that and provide easy comping, maybe like Reaper does.

yep.  if the take lanes fix the layer bugs, even via alternate functionality, one of the few Sonar problems that I haven't eventually been able to work around.

ProjectM
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/23 04:21:40 (permalink)
    Thank you for that Seth! This sounds pretty cool!!

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/23 07:14:09 (permalink)

I'm hoping to find out that take lanes will run all sound through the track just like a layer.

best,
    mike

bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/23 09:06:28 (permalink)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
    ]

The main difference is that the Lanes live outside of the host track, like automation lanes do. Layers, on the other hand, would all live in the main track, and things could get very small and fidgety if you had a lot of takes/ layers in a single track. 

There's also a section for writing notes next to each lane, as well as per-lane Record buttons and Edit Filters. As such you will be able to record directly into a given lane and also show Clips or AudioSnap transients on a per-lane basis, all of which were impossible with layers.

Additionally, the Inline PRV behaves uniquely as its own, independent PRV in lanes on MIDI and Instrument tracks. So, you could have multiple Lanes on a single track driving different parts of a multi-timbrel synth (handy for MIDI drum arrangement and other things). Or be able to manage different MIDI takes in their own, separate Inline PRV for editing, all with their own Mute, Solo, and Record buttons. 

As you can see its a pretty big feature that touches many aspects of the program. We should have a blog post about this feature in the coming weeks with screenshots and a more in depth explanation. 

SP

Yes, it's a BIG feature. Thinking further about the midi/instrument version of lanes, will it be possible to freeze some lanes? Will the matching synth track have corresponding lanes? Will midi lanes have their own midi channel settings?
    fooman
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1382
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/23 09:16:15 (permalink)
    I'd have to see this in action to see the benefits! I kinda hope for a video to see some of the workflow possibilities that often escape me at first haha. I would love to be able to archive unused takes a lot easier than duplicating tracks, archiving them, and then moving unused clips to the archived tracks. When I record a 16-track drumkit at anything over 44.1k, dropouts take place after 3 takes unless I begin archiving.
    TimV
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 183
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/23 11:08:52 (permalink)
    This really sounds useful.  My fear is that I'll get excited about it and then find out that it's only in Producer.

HP Pavilion Desktop
    Intel Core 2 Quad Processor
    8GB RAM
    Windows 10 64-bit
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Sonar Platinum
    Sonar 8.5 Studio Edition
    Sonar X1 Studio Edition
    Sonar X2 Producer
    Sonar X3e Producer

Saxon1066
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 619
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/23 20:13:56 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Quick question.

How will the Take lanes effect the practice of monitoring input echo while recording.

I've abandoned hardware monitor routing and I no longer use the monitor matrix on my MOTU stuff either. I've become accustomed to setting up monitoring through SONAR and using pretty much any effect I wish as well.

When I consider the idea that the take lanes live outside the track it makes me wonder how input echo is going to work.

Will I still be able to live the dream and run the tracking monitoring through SONAR and it's fx bin and enjoy the low latency performance as I have for the past few years?

best regards,
    mike

That's my main question, and I'm hoping for perhaps even lower latency, based on this listed "new feature":

Improved low latency audio engine
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/23 20:26:11 (permalink)
    Take lanes verses Layers? The Layers were take lanes or punch in lanes, or edit lanes in real time. You had to remember where you were as far as soloing or arming for recording with layers. If Take lanes exist outside of the original or subsequent tracks-takes, it should be easy to choose which peices you want from which take.

Craig DuBuc
    Living Room Rocker
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 675
    Re:How will the new "take lanes" differ from "layers"? 2012/08/24 01:33:31 (permalink)
    Uh, take lanes you can take with your whereas layers just pile on?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1