How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3

Author
im_so_lam3
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
2007/11/22 19:57:15 (permalink)

How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3

So once I convert it to audio yadda yadda yadda it sounds like crap. That's because im using the instruments provided by mc3 right?
Well is there a way I can get the actual sound from my keyboard when i convert it into audio. I would like to put some of my music on a cd for a friend but im ashamed because it sounds so crappy with the instruments im having to use with mc3. I was even debating buying a new program just to conquer this obstacle. so any advise would be much appreciated :] i just want my music to sound like it does when i play it on my keyboarddddd thats all i ask. I dont want to have to go through the process of HAVING to use the crappy sounding piano on mc3. help por favor
<3 you guys are awesome

13 Replies Related Threads

wickerman
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1039
    RE: How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3 2007/11/22 20:47:23 (permalink)
    sorry the sounds are lame...wonk wonk wahhh! sorry.

I'll let the MIDI experts give you some solid advice here, I think you should be able to use another bank of sounds for your MIDI data that you've already created.

Getting direct audio out of your KB shouldn't be too hard, if it's got a line out of some sort, you can just pipe that into your input, be it a mixer or into the line in on the PC soundcard. Play away, also alot of keyboards have MIDI capabilities...I have a couple hundred dollar (Canuck bucks from last year, so about 150US) Yamaha KB that I could use to enter MIDI or use the sounds inside...I think. Check out what kind of options you have on yours.

I'm thinking someone helpful and skilled in the dark arts of MIDI would say to replace your current sound bank with something better, and I'm fairly sure that's there's some nice sounding free stuff available man!
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3 2007/11/22 21:32:53 (permalink)
    Ominous soundtrack music (ooh, Moonlight would be perfect here!).
    The wind whistles through the remaining dry leaves in a nearby tree.....a door creaks open....
    "Ah, come in..come in... expecting you I have been....."
    "So, the dark art of MIDI you wish to learn..Yes?"
    "Step inside...and we will talk of these things"

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3 2007/11/22 21:50:19 (permalink)
    Well, MC doesn't have any sounds at all, unless you're using an included software synthesizer, such as Edirol. You're using either your sound card's imbedded General MIDI sounds, or a soft synth. Which are you using? And what keyboard are you using?
    Terry's right, though, that all keyboards have an audio out so you can connect it to an amplifier, or tape deck or other sound recorder, such as your sound card's line in. It may be labeled headphone out, or line out or audio out, or just output. My Yamaha's is labeled 'Phones/output'.
    So you recorded your MIDI track, and press play; does the MIDI playback come out your keyboard's speakers or the computer's? If it's your keyboard, then all you have to do is run a cord from the 'board's out to your sound card's line in (a visit to your local Radio Shack may be in order to get necessary adapters). Open an audio track in MC, set the in, stereo if the output is stereo, arm the track, press play and watch the meter, setting it to the best level without clipping. If it's where you want it, stop the playback, rewind, and press the record button. That's how I get the actual sounds of my keybaord into a project.
    If the MIDI playback is coming out your PC's speakers, then you need to set the MIDI output to go through your keyboard, instead of the sound card. How that is done is not always easy, depending on what is listed in your MIDI devices list. Let us know how you have it set up now, where the MIDI is sounding from.
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    RobertB
    RE: How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3 2007/11/22 22:42:18 (permalink)
    Looks like Greg got here while I was reviewing your previous thread, and he has covered some good points.
    My first question, is that since you say it sounds bad once you convert to audio it sounds bad, does it sound bad while playing inside the project? I am assuming you are using the MIDI out from your keyboard to trigger a softsynth in MC3. Are you using the Edirol VSC?
    The Yamaha piano sounds are no doubt superior to the VSC piano, and Gregs suggestion to record the audio from the line out of the keyboard may be your best choice here.
    You don't have to use the piano in MC3 (or more accurately, the piano in Edirol VSC). MC3, like its big brothers, is really just the studio, and has no instruments of its own. Edirol VSC is a seperate program that is packaged with MC3, and will run inside it. There are hundreds, if not thousands of softsynths and samplers that can bring a huge variety of sounds to your studio. There are plenty of piano's that sound better than VSC, some free, and some can be very expensive. If Beagle stops by, he may have some thoughts on the ones that sound best.
    I guess my main point here is that getting another program is not your sollution. You need better plug-ins(VSTi's) to use in the program you already have. And when it is appropriate, use the native sounds from your keyboard recorded as audio. You have choices, and a lot of versatility with the tools you have now.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3 2007/11/22 22:56:06 (permalink)
    As far as free pianos, there are only a couple that are really coming to mind.

http://www.soundbrewer.com/downloads.php
    http://www.pianosounds.com/freesoundfont.htm
    http://www.sampletank.com/Main.html?MainPage.php

on the sample tank demo, you used to be able to download some free sounds, piano being one, but you'll have to see what's available now after you fill out their form, which I wasn't going to do to find out if it's still there or not.

as for good piano sounds that you can purchase, true pianos is one that a lot of folks are raving over, The Grand and Ivory are always staples in this market. my main "go to" piano is GigaPiano which you might could still get relatively cheaply if you can find someone still selling the Giga3 Ensemble which has been discontinued but is still available for sale, usually for about $50 and it not only includes the piano, but some really decent ensemble orchestra sounds.

google those that I said were for sale, or just go to a music seller like Musicians friend and search for sampled instruments like those.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Beagle
    RE: How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3 2007/11/23 14:58:09 (permalink)
    OH! here's a couple more. the tascam one is pretty cool technology and sounds decent. It's a little heavy on CPU, tho.

http://www.ftptascam.com/media/downloads/CVPiano.zip
    click on vst synth and there's a decent free piano and a really decent electric piano:
    http://www.mda-vst.com/

im_so_lam3
    RE: How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3 2007/11/23 23:34:29 (permalink)
    Ok so I have a yamaha, brand spankin new may i add, and when i playback a track i recorded in MC, It comes out my keyboard, until i start using the edirol VSC (i read in the pamphlet and in the tutorial that in order to convert it into mp3 i needed to do it through the edirol thing). So it sounds fine on my keyboard of course, thats how i WANT it to sound. but then once i put it into the edirol and the sound starts coming out of my speakers its not the same as when it comes out of my keyboard :/. and i messed around with the instruments in the edirol and they sound like ****
    im not sure whether im using my computers general midi or a soft synth actually. im assuming i've been using my computers general midi because im not even familiar with soft synths.

ok so can you explaim more what type of cable i need to attatch to my keyboard and to my computers line in. you mean just a regular USB cable?

and so if i get this cable and do as you said, im basically "re-recording" it as audio so that way i wont have to format it into mp3 through the edirol?

You said you have a yamaha as well so did YOU need any adapters for this? Because I dont know where to begin when it comes to those things

thanks for your help <3

im_so_lam3
    RE: How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3 2007/11/23 23:42:40 (permalink)
    yes'm im using the edirol. I thought it was the only way to be able to convert my midi into audio then convert it into mp3, plus its easy so i've stuck with that :] but obviously im no longer happy with my result so here i am

Oh wow, im pretty new to this...obviously, kinda just getting my foot in the door, so I knew the edirol was a seperate program but i didnt know I could go and get different sounds and use them with mc3

so once I save a sound onto my computer im confused as to what i do next. Do i use the edirol again in mc3 and its in there? or do i open it and use it another way?
    im_so_lam3
    RE: How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3 2007/11/23 23:53:36 (permalink)
    thanks for ur help by the way
    post edited by im_so_lam3 - 2007/11/24 00:05:43
    RobertB
    RE: How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3 2007/11/24 00:03:38 (permalink)
    isl,
    You are on the threshold of discovering what is so cool about MIDI. You have recorded a realtime performance, complete with velocity and note duration in the file. You see the MIDI track, with its dots and dashes, correct? This tracks output can be directed to anything you want. A lame piano, a good piano, a sax, a wild synth....anything. The notes are there. What you hear is entirely dependent on what they are played through.
    The MIDI track is essentially electronic sheet music. The instrument you choose to read it is what you hear.
    You are so, so close to getting it. Once it sinks in, you will be amazed at what you can do.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Beagle
    RE: How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3 2007/11/24 07:54:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: im_so_lam3

Ok so I have a yamaha, brand spankin new may i add, and when i playback a track i recorded in MC, It comes out my keyboard, until i start using the edirol VSC (i read in the pamphlet and in the tutorial that in order to convert it into mp3 i needed to do it through the edirol thing). So it sounds fine on my keyboard of course, thats how i WANT it to sound. but then once i put it into the edirol and the sound starts coming out of my speakers its not the same as when it comes out of my keyboard :/. and i messed around with the instruments in the edirol and they sound like ****
    im not sure whether im using my computers general midi or a soft synth actually. im assuming i've been using my computers general midi because im not even familiar with soft synths.

ok so can you explaim more what type of cable i need to attatch to my keyboard and to my computers line in. you mean just a regular USB cable?

and so if i get this cable and do as you said, im basically "re-recording" it as audio so that way i wont have to format it into mp3 through the edirol?

You said you have a yamaha as well so did YOU need any adapters for this? Because I dont know where to begin when it comes to those things

thanks for your help <3

isl - you can use the sounds of your keyboard to record in MC if you do the following:
    record a MIDI track just like you've been doing
    set it up to send the MIDI back to your keyboard (which you said you were doing before you insert Edirol - that way)
    insert an AUDIO track in your project and set the input to the sound card's input
    connect a cable (or cables - whichever is appropriate) to your keyboard's audio output and to the soundcard input
    arm the AUDIO track
    hit record

MC will send the MIDI data to your keyboard and the keyboard will send the audio to MC to be recorded on the audio track.

all you'll need is a cable to connect your keyboard up to the soundcard.

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3 2007/11/24 11:54:40 (permalink)
    As to what you may need to buy at Radio Shack, that depends on what kind of audio connections the keyboard and sound card have. The keyboard likely has a 1/4" stereo phone plug output. Possibly the 2 little RCA connections, like you would use to connect stereo equipment. The sound card may have 1/8" stereo input (not the microphone input, which is also 1/8" but possibly mono). So you need to look at the outputs and inputs to determine what you need. We can't see them from here. The equipment's manuals or help file may show you what it has and what they're called. Write it down, or print it, and tell the RS guy what you need. Race home, connect the cord, change the outputs of all your tracks from Edirol to however it was set to get the sound going out your keyboard's speakers, open an audio track in the MIDI project you want to convert, set the input from your sound card, arm the track, press play to see the level of the audio input, adjusting the keyboard's output using it's volume control or the track's trim control, make sure it's not clipping, stop playback, rewind, press the record button.
    This doesn't convert it to MP3, though, only to audio. The MP3 conversion is a sererate process.
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    im_so_lam3
    RE: How would I go about getting the ACTUAL sound of my keyboard into MC3 2007/11/25 22:15:05 (permalink)
    Thankyou SO much i went and got the cable and things are running smoothly. Once again THANKYOUUUUU to all that helped :]
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1