Huge Prog-ish Instrumental (with a rap in it) - Descent by Ascent

Author
Bruce Baldwin
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2011/09/17 19:08:32 (permalink)

Huge Prog-ish Instrumental (with a rap in it) - Descent by Ascent

Hi there, 

Check out the huge and dramatic conclusion to our upcoming CD, recorded using Sonar X1.   Many layers of guitars, synths (mostly Rapture) and drums.  

Descent

10 Replies Related Threads

cwestmont
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Huge Prog-ish Instrumental (with a rap in it) - Descent by Ascent 2011/09/18 19:29:26 (permalink)
    This is really, really good.  Kicks ass, frankly. I like the use of rap in it.  You don't often her female vocalists with prog rock -- listening to your song makes me wonder why not.  Works great. 

My music:
    Hummingbird Cinema (vocal tracks, covers and remixes)
    Mosaic Manifesto  (remixes and instrumentals)
    "If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

One can acquire everything in solitude - except character. -- Marie Henri Beyle

Windows 7
    Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz
    8 GigaBytes DRAM
    Sonar X3
    Roland QuadCapture
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Huge Prog-ish Instrumental (with a rap in it) - Descent by Ascent 2011/09/19 05:06:26 (permalink)
    This is a fantastic song Bruce. It has so many twists and so many layers it is hard to know where to start. mixwise it sounds great, you have clearly invested a lot of time to get a balanced and open sound, it could easily have turned into a dense mush. Some cool guitaring, i also like the piano which crops up before the rap section, and the recurring guitar lead motif is very memorable. The riff from 4'45 is very cool! Nice how it segues into the percussion. At times there are almost too many twists and turns, but it's a bit rich for me to say that! Wow, a fascinating and huge piece of music, off to listen again!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Bruce Baldwin
    Re:Huge Prog-ish Instrumental (with a rap in it) - Descent by Ascent 2011/09/19 21:33:41 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for the comments!    It's so dense because I put a little bit of (almost) everything I do into it, and then my wife (vocalist) upped the ante with the rap.   I think it works because there's a larger structure and chord progression that unfolds over the whole thing.   The final mix was the hardest part, but I'm very happy with it.  
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Huge Prog-ish Instrumental (with a rap in it) - Descent by Ascent 2011/09/19 22:21:45 (permalink)
    I like the soaring section starting around 2:00 and 4:00. It's definitely a good variation to have a female rap thing in a prog'ish tune. The only thing that stuck out to me a bit was that the section transitions were a bit jaring in a few cases, but that might change on subsequent listens, I dunno.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Huge Prog-ish Instrumental (with a rap in it) - Descent by Ascent 2011/09/22 20:52:10 (permalink)
    I've been meaning to listen to this for a while now, I've been slightly lazy.

Wow, digging it, like how you have been able to mash, Pink Floyd, King Crimson and ELP into the track and to top it off a bit of rap, although I am not a fan of rap but it works. 

Loving the Mellotron/M-tron parts, it's well mixed, mastered and exacuted.

Peace Ben 

PS wow love the drum solo, and the ending is epic!!! 

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Huge Prog-ish Instrumental (with a rap in it) - Descent by Ascent 2011/09/22 21:59:23 (permalink)
    Wow, this is good - I really like this.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Huge Prog-ish Instrumental (with a rap in it) - Descent by Ascent 2011/09/22 22:33:13 (permalink)
    I agree with Mark...this is really good! You know everyone's jealous that you have a wife able and willing to record with you. Even me! Well, sorta.... lol
    grayzer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 254
    Re:Huge Prog-ish Instrumental (with a rap in it) - Descent by Ascent 2011/09/23 17:45:51 (permalink)
    Dorpped you a few comments on soundcloud. Well done!

Please listen to my band's new (post-prog rock?!) songs at www.reclaimmusic.com all produced using sonar X1!!
    Bruce Baldwin
    Re:Huge Prog-ish Instrumental (with a rap in it) - Descent by Ascent 2011/09/25 12:39:36 (permalink)
    Thanks again for all of the generous comments and listens!   It's great when such an unusual track resonates with people!

Just in case anyone's interested....   "Descent" is the last track on the CD, and "Ascension" is the first.  Some of the musical ideas and themes are shared between the two.  We made a video for "Ascension":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2OZW9k6oBM
    Basradaem
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    Re:Huge Prog-ish Instrumental (with a rap in it) - Descent by Ascent 2011/09/25 15:50:51 (permalink)
    I'm a big fan of progressive and all the changes-ups in this tune had my head spinning.  I love it!  This tune totally rocks!  Awesome job, Bruce!

Luke Sarro
    --------------
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit on Windows 10 x64 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1