Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
2012/01/03 09:03:14 (permalink)

Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.)

This is a tune for which I've had the music for some time and just recently got around to writing lyrics.

This is the first tune recorded with my new MikTek C7 condenser.  This is a nice upgrade from my other condenser mic, smoother with more of a vintage vibe.  The street price on this mic is only $900 but the reviews are favorable with some $2000+ mics.  I think I'm pretty happy with the mic.  I also got a pair of AKG Quicny Jones Q701 headphones for Christmas.  Also very nice.

At any rate I hope you like this tune, my first post in 2012.

Enjoy.

HUNGRY EYES - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=582907&songID=11337007 

Lyrics are on the SoundClick page, just scroll down .
post edited by darylcrowley - 2012/01/03 09:06:41

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/

34 Replies Related Threads

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/03 09:17:27 (permalink)
    Nice job Daryl. I can hear an improvement with the new mic. (no, really, I can)..
    I would lose the hyeena yelping on the GM percussion track.
    Nice tune. Welcome to 2012.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

darylcrowley
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/03 09:23:01 (permalink)
    Tim - Hyeena?   That's actually a percussion device although I can't remember the name. Up to this point eveyone who has commented on it loved it.  I like it too, I've used it in a couple of tunes over the years.  Some people call it a barking dog.  I will have to look up again exactly what that device is called.  I always wanted to be a percussion guy in a jazz band so I could have all those very cool toys to play with.

Glad you like the tune, and I'm glad you could hear the mic.  It's nice upgrade from my Stuido Projects C3, which is a nice mic, but doesn't quite have the sheen of the MicTek.

Thanks.

Daryl Crowley
    malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/03 09:54:13 (permalink)
    The new mic is great. As is the song. Again! There really is something about your music and lyrics that every time just seems the perfect meld - my foot starts tapping even before the music starts! My introduction to your music was "Some place warm" - still one of my favourite tracks of all time - and they just keep getting better! Great song. Best Regards Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/03 10:07:33 (permalink)
    Nice tune, and nice mix.  The vocal sounds very warm, yet present as do the other instruments.  What preamp are you using?  It sounds like money well spent.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Marshall
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 602
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/03 10:11:43 (permalink)
    Daryl

I don't know what the old mic sounded like, but this song just blew me away. Smooth, professional production, beautiful fat guitar tone, and the drums are very effective too. Listening on headphones there's a lovely stereo spread.

Top drawer! 

Bill
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/03 12:02:01 (permalink)
    Great song!

The mix is really good.

Enjoy the new toy!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/03 12:05:31 (permalink)
    Daryl,

Good stuff as always.   The percussion is really a nice addition.  The mike sounds really good too, as do the vocals going into it.  Reminds me a little bit of Chris Isaac.

Regards
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/03 13:47:01 (permalink)
    the hyeena is a Cucia, a Brazilian friction drum...

very cool song Daryl... love the smooth guitar...
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/03 14:46:44 (permalink)
    That classic smooth operator DC signature sound. 

Well done. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    darylcrowley
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/03 17:23:50 (permalink)
    Malcom - Thanks.  Glad somebody liked Someplace Warm.  I was proud of those lyrics and I never had a lot comments on them.  Thank you!

Lynn - Funny you should mention preamps.  I'm looking at tube preamps.  I had purchased a Bock 195 mic before the MikTek C7.  My preamp is the preamp in my EMU 1820M interface.  Which is a clean solid state preamp, but it did NOT have enough guts to push the Bock microphone, so I sent the Bock back and got the MikTek.  I have a LOT of headroom now but I'm really starting to obsess about a mic tube preamp!

Bill - Everything else on my Website was done with my Studio Projects C3 large condenser.  The SP C3 is one of those mics that's amazing for $300 but doesn't have the sheen of this one.  At first blush they sound much the same, but when you listen to vocals over music, you can really hear the difference... as though each word was slightly buffed or polished.  Hard to describe but it's real.  Thanks!

Robert - I ALWAYS enjoy new toys!

Mark - Thanks.  I don't know much abour Chris Issac but I was just reading an interview with him in Vintage Guitar just last night!  Must be a sign - I will have to check him out. 

Frank - Thanks so much... I always appreciate your comments, you're one of my musical heros... an old guy with talent!

Herb - Thanks my friend, that's a great compliment.

I'm not sure why I wrote about this star struck gal... I usually don't start out with a story in mind when it comes to lyrics.  The lyrics are usually driven by one line that I happen on to and then I make a song around that line.  I guess this song could just as easily have been about a guy going to McDonalds for a hamburger.  At any rate, there might be a good line or two in this song.  I really do enjoy writing lyrics.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    rscain
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 784
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/03 17:45:21 (permalink)
    This is a really nice song with an impeccable mix. LOL, if I get me one of those mics will I sound like that?
    Again, the mix is great, everything is spot on right where it needs to be. Cool guitar work. Nice harmonies. It's all here...
    Great job, thanks a lot for sharing it.

BTW: What is that cool amp in your pic?

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
    darylcrowley
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/03 21:15:23 (permalink)
    Bob, Yea I can't sing so I'm sure it would work for you.

It's a Carr Mercury in custom green tolex.  It's EL34 based 8watts with a built in attenuator down to 1/10 of a watt.  Emmenicen Red White and Blues 12" speaker.

It's a great amp but a lot of why I bought is that it just looks so cool.  I ordered it with the green tolex because I love green boutique amps... they just look differnt.  Carr covers them in any color or ostrich or even python.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/04 02:44:36 (permalink)
    Sweetwater has a deal for 600 bux!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PM5mic/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=livesound&utm_term=miktek_condenser&gclid=CNvRzo_vta0CFQ9Y7AodB1z8lA

OH WAIT! That's not the same mic? Looks like they have yours for 900 as well;  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C7?gclid=CP3E5Ibwta0CFdKR7QodbBMelQ

I love gear man! I can't GAS anymore though? I'm all GASsed out... But I have nice stuff :-) So it's OK. But I know what it feels like to GAS!! Congrats, and enjoy it! 

post edited by bandontherun19 - 2012/01/04 02:47:32

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    darylcrowley
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/04 08:04:51 (permalink)
    Band - I have a major case of GAS even my Prylosec won't cure.

I bought the C7 at Sweetwater.  My rule of thumb is, if Sweetwater has it, I buy it from them.  Their customer service is really excellent and you get a personal rep who calls you, and they put candy in with your order .

MikTek is a relatively new company in Nashville and by everything that I've read during my research they are really offer quality mics at reasonable prices, not that you can't get a good mic for under $500 but it seems they are trying to produce a $2000 mic for $1000.  At any rate I'm pretty happy with it.

Oh yea, the headphones aint bad either   (also purchased from Sweetwater)

Daryl Crowley
    gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/04 09:05:20 (permalink)
    This has that Daryl Crowley sound that I like so much.  Good job and a good tune.

I have to agree with Tim though about the dog sounds.  It sounds like you have a chiuahuah trained to bark in tempo.  I like the idea but I think you should try finding something like a sorrowful timber wolf cry (too cliche in itself) and overlaying it with a guitar bend that is in pitch with the wolf?  Just an idea.

Glen
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/04 11:18:13 (permalink)
    Per the earlier Chris Isaak comments, you definitely need to get into Chris Isaak.  He is brilliantly underrated.

I like the song and wish I could write lyrics and sing like this.

I think the lead needs a little something extra to make it stand out.  Maybe a slight delay would work good and just a tad more warmth and brightness.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/04 11:36:49 (permalink)
    Daryl,
    Nice and smooth. I enjoyed the listen. The friction percussion instrument I thought sounded cool.
    The new mic really does have a warm sound to it.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/04 14:35:48 (permalink)
    Lynn - Funny you should mention preamps. I'm looking at tube preamps. I had purchased a Bock 195 mic before the MikTek C7. My preamp is the preamp in my EMU 1820M interface. Which is a clean solid state preamp, but it did NOT have enough guts to push the Bock microphone, so I sent the Bock back and got the MikTek. I have a LOT of headroom now but I'm really starting to obsess about a mic tube preamp! Daryl, as warm sounding as this recording is, I wonder if you need a tube preamp. But, you can dream.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    darylcrowley
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/04 16:03:34 (permalink)
    Glen - Thanks.  It seems some people are not attuned to the "barking dog" or as Frank pointed out the "Cucia".   I listen to a lot of contemporary jazz and bands that have a percussionist in addition to a drummer will use that sound in addition to all their other cool toys and I've come to like it. Like the wood block and other percussion insturments I find that they add a three-dimensional aspect to a tune.  As the song is spread out in the stereo field, wood blocks, or "barking dogs" add depth to the sound fields.  Instead of adding something  "musical" they tend to, at least to my ears, add depth to and fro as opposed to stereo adding depth from left to right.  At least that's how I hear it.  But so far here I've had two nays and everywhere else I've demoed it, poeple like it.  Including my adult/artist daughter who is very hard to please.   One of those personal "taste" things I guess.  Some people hate congas and I can't get enough of them.

Mark -  At the end I really thought I wanted to add a lead harmony (you and I are often prone to do that), but try as I might I couldn't get a lead harmony to really jive with this, and usually I have no problem with it.  I tried both higher and lower harmonies, 3rds, 5ths, but each actually took more away than it added, so in the end, I left it alone.  The harmony was easy enough, but none of them sounded right in this context.  I struggle getting delay to sound right the way you do?  What product do you use and what your settings?

Bruce - Thanks!  Another vote for the "barking dog",  although it usually is used in instrumentals, which is where I've used it in the past.  This is the first time I've put it in a vocal tune.

Lynn - No doubt the tube mic pre would be a subtle upgrade, but in recording it is the sum total of all the little things that make the difference.  Fortunately there are some good options, such as the UA single channel that can be had for under $1000, so it's very doable.  I have no doubt I will do it at some point because I have G.A.S. and once I start wanting something like that, I usually get it.

Daryl Crowley
    ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/04 16:12:45 (permalink)
    Daryl,
      Sounds good to me, Nice smooth vocals and a great delivery.
    Nice mix sir.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    marcos69
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/04 16:34:52 (permalink)
    darylcrowley

Mark -  At the end I really thought I wanted to add a lead harmony (you and I are often prone to do that), but try as I might I couldn't get a lead harmony to really jive with this, and usually I have no problem with it.  I tried both higher and lower harmonies, 3rds, 5ths, but each actually took more away than it added, so in the end, I left it alone.  The harmony was easy enough, but none of them sounded right in this context.  I struggle getting delay to sound right the way you do?  What product do you use and what your settings?

Daryl, I use the Sonitus FX Delay.  Here are some general settings that would probably be a good starting point for you.

Set the BPM to match your project tempo setting.

Set the Left Delay Factor to 1 and the Right to 1/2 (or vice versa depending on what sounds good with the rest of the mix).

Set Feedback around 10.

Set Crossfeed around 10.

Set Mix around 14.

Then you just gotta play around with it to see what sits right in the mix.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    darylcrowley
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/04 16:57:48 (permalink)
    Chuck - Thank you!

Mark - That's just about the same thing I've done, but it never seems to come across like it does for you.  That, and you rock!   I'll give it another shot, I didn't try it on this tune.   Do you omit reverb or turn it way down?

Daryl Crowley
    marcos69
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/04 17:33:38 (permalink)
    Daryl, I don't use any reverb if I'm using the delay.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/04 22:38:01 (permalink)
    Good song Daryl.

Mix is really good. 

Personal preference: Vox could be a tad louder or the main guitars could come down. One or the other.

Very nice job.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/05 13:12:25 (permalink)
    Lovely song Daryl. Beautiful guitars and your vocals are just excellent on this. Your stuff gets better and better.

+1 to Mark's Chris Issak comments.

One thing I don't like - whatever that is on the '2' and the '4', it sounds like someone tapping on a mic..

......chopped liver again...
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2012/01/08 09:18:06

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/05 15:17:32 (permalink)
    Sounds Fantastic, Daryl!!!  Really smooth. I think the mic really makes your vocals sit better in your mix, but you always have a great sound and mixed production. 

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/05 20:46:28 (permalink)
    Wow--this sounds so smooth.  That mic sounds great too.  I mean, it makes you sound great.  I mean, even greater than before.  :)  Lovely!  
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/05 22:29:30 (permalink)
    Hi Daryl,

Excellent tune, my friend. You really have developed a 'signature sound'.

+1 to the Chris Isaak comparisons...

Great guitar tone/playing and songwriting and a really pro-sounding mix.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    darylcrowley
    Re:Hungry Eyes (First tune with New mic.) 2012/01/06 21:22:29 (permalink)
    Ed, I think your're right.  Thanks.

Tap - Thanks.  I appreciate it.

Janet - Thanks -  I wrote this song about you!  Just kidding.

Gary - You convinced me.  I'm going to YouTube now and watch some Chris Isaac.  Thanks on the mix.  I know I still have so much to learn but I feel like it's getting better.  Love your new tune!

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1