Hyperthreading (sorry, I know it's been discussed)

Author
smoddelm
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 447
2018/04/14 21:40:53 (permalink)

Hyperthreading (sorry, I know it's been discussed)

I bought a refurbished computer few months ago - two (somewhat older) Xeon processors, 48Gb RAM, and a 1T SSD (actually two 500G RAID config).  I just noticed when I had the BIOS setup open for an unrelated reason that Hyperthreading was disabled.  Is there a reason why that would have been the default setup for a machine with these specs?  I enabled it, but now I'm having second thoughts since someone obviously felt it should be disabled.  It seems that Cakewalk / SPLAT would make use of it, but I never feel like I'm maxing out the CPU anyway, so??

3 Replies Related Threads

Studio-ES
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: Hyperthreading (sorry, I know it's been discussed) 2018/04/14 22:19:01 (permalink)
    Could be that the previous owner was running it as a server and the server software ran better with HT disabled. Or was a gamer, or an Overclocker/Benchmarker trying to set world records with apps like 3DMark, Unigine, gaming benchmarks, etc. But more likely the 1st option (where the primarily-used software on the computer runs better with HT completely disabled in the BIOS). These days most modern software supports HT, but can still have problems with it.

Clevo 17" | i7-3630QM | 16GB HyperX | 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD | GTX680m SLI | WIN7-64bit | Cakewalk by BandLab 2018.04 | SONAR X1 Studio (Retired) | Project5 | VS-100
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Hyperthreading (sorry, I know it's been discussed) 2018/04/15 17:56:00 (permalink)
    Intel hyper-threading has been around since 2002.  I would leave it on.  It most likely will not hurt, but could give a slight performance boost.  I always disable CPU power management.  I like things locked to the full clock speed, but never mess with overclocking.

Hyper-threading gets mentioned in this SOS review of CPU performance, but no mention of disabling it.
    https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cpu-performance-tested

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Hyperthreading (sorry, I know it's been discussed) 2018/04/16 12:42:51 (permalink)
    When the first generation of Hyper-Threading was released, it caused a problem mainly with Cubase (IIRC).
    Now ~16 years later, Hyper-Threading works completely smooth with all major DAW applications.

Note the CPU clock-speed on the XEON CPUs.
    Often times, they're running at significantly slower clock-speed (which will affect DAW performance).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1