I Believe (remix)

Author
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
2011/09/10 22:26:29 (permalink)

I Believe (remix)

Hey guys I am looking for mix/production help to make this song all it can be.

I wrote this a while back and just added some horns, organ, piano and laboring over the mix but I still think it needs improvement.
Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Too high endy?
Snare too loud?
Cymbals ear piercing?
Need better arrangement?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 
http://soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte/i-believe

Edit - Lyrics by Ray Cheverier

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 

19 Replies Related Threads

bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/11 02:31:31 (permalink)
    Hey there Mike,

I enjoyed your tune? The lead seems to me to sit where it should? I like the bass :-) (and I'm a bass player) 

I like the vocals? (And I'm a vocalist?) When that chick is singing "with you?" I would back her off a bit... Not that she's not a good singer? But I don't think she's as good a singer as you are. (she may have other attributes I am unaware of "unfortunately") 

But your song is good? The guitar work is great! The mix seemed to be dominated by her? And while she's not bad? She's not good enough to dominate the mix (IMO)... But I'm sure she's fine... :-)

Hey guys I am looking for mix/production help to make this song all it can be. 

I wrote this a while back and just added some horns, organ, piano and laboring over the mix but I still think it needs improvement. 
    Any advice or suggestions are welcome. 

Too high endy? 
    Snare too loud? 
    Cymbals ear piercing? 
    Need better arrangement? 
    LpMike75
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/11 02:37:59 (permalink)
    Thank you for the feedback Bandontherun19.

I wish I could take credit for the vocal performance but I cannot.  Two local singers (and personal friends) agreed to sing this for me ..Tony Piacenta and Tuesday Elliott (yes her name really is Tuesday)

I will revisit the mix and throw a volume automation her way to hold her back some.

Thanks again for the feedback

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    bandontherun19
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/11 02:43:33 (permalink)
    :-) Mike, this is Robby... Good job overall tough? Good WIP. Keep up the excellent work.
    LpMike75
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/11 02:56:31 (permalink)
    Thanks Robby?
        You hid your disguise extremely well?
    :)

- Mike
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/12 05:03:51 (permalink)
    really nice open airy mix Mike! Not much to suggest really. the snare sounds a bit 'allat100velocity', dunno if you can get some more dynamics in it, and the kit as a whole could do with a little fattening up (maybe parallel compression). i like the female vox...in fact both vocalists are great. horns sound great! only other nit is the guitars are also a little thin, both in the clean verse and distorted chorus guises...but then this is helping with the nice open mix, so it's a tough call. great song!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    LpMike75
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/13 10:23:23 (permalink)
    Thanks Mark
        Several people suggested I change the drums to something more tame, I guess the shuffle rhythm was not a winner.  So I will be re-working the drums and checking that snare velocity.  I will probably lighten the distortion on those backing guitar tracks to help them sit better.

Thanks for the listen and comments

- Mike
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/13 11:14:09 (permalink)
    I like the tune... the shuffle is something not heard too often, but it adds that "jukin" feel that I kind of like. 

That sounded like a fun tune to work on.  

I would run vocal correction just to bring the vox dead on.  The vox alone are OK but when they sing together you can hear they are not exactly "together" on the pitch. She sounds flat... tweak them both and hear the difference when they are both in tune. 

Are the drums too busy?.... maybe yes, maybe no. I might try another drum track that is not quite so rambunctious BUT... don't delete the first one until you're sure... 

The one there now has a certain charm about it. Cool fills.  Perhaps, the only crit on the drums is there are too many fills, edit some of them out especially when the singers are doing their thing. Let the  Fills run in the breaks. 

The picking in the end is hot!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    LpMike75
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/13 14:07:38 (permalink)
    Thanks Herb, I fell in love with a couple of those fills so it will be hard to rework without keeping those in there.  Hopefully I can salvage some stuff

The singers didnt sing perfectly in time together which I thought added to the fun vibe but I didnt notice the pitch issue, Ill listen again.  Thanks for the heads up!

- Mike
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/13 14:37:10 (permalink)
    I agree with bringing her back a little bit, but overall, this is great.  :)  The beginning seemed a bit chaotic, but I'm sure I could get used to it.  Horns and organ sound great and they do add a lot.  
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/13 14:56:16 (permalink)
    LpMike75

Thanks Herb, I fell in love with a couple of those fills so it will be hard to rework without keeping those in there.  Hopefully I can salvage some stuff

The singers didnt sing perfectly in time together which I thought added to the fun vibe but I didnt notice the pitch issue, Ill listen again.  Thanks for the heads up!

I hear you on falling in love with some of the fills.... and 2 singers being off the time a bit adds to the realism, the pitch really needs to be right though. VV or MD it if you have one of them. She's not far off and when they sing solo, it's not a problem..... just when they are in harmony. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/13 16:14:11 (permalink)
    Maybe you could keep the drum part and switch to a Brush Drum Set.

The voices I did not mind so much, and from what I have heard, singers are suppose to sing a little flat in a song. Might add something to the voices to then make them stand out a little more instead of volume, like a soft echo effect or so.

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/13 16:16:42 (permalink)
    That is a slap brush snare drum brush drum set which may involve finding a proper slap to the snare in it.

jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/14 20:38:38 (permalink)
    The groove at the beginning part of the song is definitely too loose/sloppy. I don't know what you're using for drums, but the overall tone is too trebly/thin. I think that if you just rolled off the top, it would go a long way to making this mix sound much better. The bass is extremely prominent. I'd knock it down 3-4 dB. The vocals seem to be uncomfortably dry for much of the song. A bit of small room reverb or a plate reverb would be nice. Good work. J

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/14 20:45:35 (permalink)
    Nice one!  The horns really add a nice full sound to what is a swing song on steriods.  I don't hear so much that the female vox is out of key but that the timing between the two vocals is a just a touch off.  She holds the notes just a bit longer????? --- but I think that is a plus since it gives a nice live feel to the performance.  I agree with previous comments about the drums.  At heart this is a swing number and should have a good rhythm based, well, swing to it.  IMHO the drums are a bit choppy which kind of breaks up any driving rhythm/swing to the song.
    I enjoyed it --- good work!!!

Freddy J
    LpMike75
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/14 21:22:49 (permalink)
    Spacealf - Thanks for the suggestion for the brushed snare, I think I will try that.

Jonas -Im using a vintage kit from Addictive Drums but I eq'd it to death, I should of left it alone.  I might drop the EQ and keep the original sound of the kit and try Spacealfs suggestion of a brushed snare.  Thanks for the mixing tips.  I do have a plate verb on the vox which I automate a little heavier in the chorus.  I went back and forth how dry it should be, my orginal mix had much more verb.  I'll add a touch more when I redo the drumline.

Freddy - Thanks for the listen, I would really like to get a full horn section going on this song but my big band arrangement skills are uh....well..not there yet.  I had both singers sing separately knowing this would cause them to sing the chorus's slightly different which I wanted.  I think the big failure of the song is the drums, I am reworking as we speak...well actually I am typing but you know...after I finish this.  :)

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions

- Mike
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/14 21:41:28 (permalink)
    I would set the predelay to 25ms or more to keep the vocals from sounding too "bathroomy".

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/14 21:55:45 (permalink)
    Great vibe on this.   I really found myself grooving by the end of the song.  Sometimes I thought the electric sat just a bit too far back.   Do you ever try using audio enhancers?   For example, I often buy Sound Toys "Decapitator" on some of my tracks.  Put just a tough of that on, and it gives it a bit more pizzaz (sp?) but without making it louder.

Note, I don't listen to a whole lot of music like this, so I don't know if there's any genre specific stuff I might be violating here.

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

bandontherun19
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/14 22:20:12 (permalink)
    :-) I listened to this again, and MAN IT ROCKS! I like everything about it? I think especially the bass playing? But it has a chick on it? And I like chicks :-) 

I like the lead guitar too :-)

Horns? This is like a James Brown hit! :-D

I would follow her... Provided? Well, you know? Something nice to look at while you follow? (I like big butts and I cannot lie... You other brothers can deny?) Wow! What a rocking lead riff at the end! AWESOME! Heh, "that guy you spoke of" would never make a comment like the one above? I'm BANDONTHERUN! :-D

post edited by bandontherun19 - 2011/09/14 22:24:40
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:I Believe (remix) 2011/09/15 06:24:49 (permalink)
    I agree with Robby's, Herb's & Freddy's comments.

I would have Tuesday re-sing her parts, as they are not only pitchy, but not in sync with Tony's lines. Have her change a note or two where she is singing the same note as Tony. (Change it to a harmony note)

BTW, when are you going to learn how to play guitar?   Smoking lead work!

String Jammer
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1