Helpful ReplyI Don't Want to be That Guy

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 11:06:50 (permalink)
i don't think anyone's questioning craig's mastering chops, or as a nice meatspace person, but i'm not sure about the gm thing
but regarding the sw thing, the "CEO" boast means nothing in the real world - who cares? it's a business thing, and i'm sure chuck of sw is a fine guy himself, just don't make the mistake of equating a person with a business! (although i'm sure many marketeers will spasm at that idea!! cf, bill hicks, etc :-P )

just a sec

telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 11:11:17 (permalink)
chuckebaby
pwalpwal
just as a something, why is it impressive/whatever that someone would step up to defend their company's reputation? surely that's expected?

because not every CEO out there cares about every single one of its customers.
is that really too hard to believe ?  Ever deal with guitar center

Maybe for the small Mom and Pops company's. but Sweetwater is a huge company.

With all due respect to Mr. Surack, I was more impressed that Craig does house calls.

A great showing for Sweetwater and this community, for sure.
mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 11:18:07 (permalink)
Anderton
 And let's face it, X1 was not Cakewalk's finest moment.

I had a few issues with X1 too.
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 11:28:50 (permalink)
Craig and I worked remotely.  I was thrilled I caught him at a time when he was able to take on a project and he brought a lot more to the table than mastering.  He has been making great music a while and if he says something, you should probably listen.   By the way, check out his new album "Neo" on his YouTube channel.  Top shelf stuff!

And as for Chuck, I don't think I should get into all the details, but trust me when I say that Sweetwater went way beyond what anyone would have any right to expect.  Yes, I ended up with issues, but I don't know what more they could have done.  I got a couple of good albums out of my set-up so I am just going to move forward with a fresh install.  The interaction of the VS-700, Windows, Sonar, and lots of software makes troubleshooting extremely challenging.  For example, you may remember that EZDrummer 2 wreaked havoc with Sonar for a while until Toontrack provided a fix.  (I still think there is some bad interaction there with X1, but it is manageable.)

As mentioned, the VI installs were very tricky and any one of them (e.g., VSL, Hollywood) can tie up your system for many days, but maybe with the latest Sonar and Win 10 things will be OK. I will start now contacting the vendors to make sure I have all the account information.  (I just went through that with iLok and that one is OK after about 6 iterations.  Advice: Never, ever change your email!)

It is quite odd that I have issues that I can clearly document and recreate, but that Cakewalk has never heard of it.  Let's wipe the slate clean.

I will get this resolved and appreciate all the help and support from you guys and gals.

Y'all are great.

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 11:48:37 (permalink)
pwalpwal
just as a something, why is it impressive/whatever that someone would step up to defend their company's reputation? surely that's expected?

What's impressive is it's not just someone, it's the head of the company. I can't imagine the CEO of Volkswagen helping me out with the air conditioning problem in my 2000 Beetle.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 12:05:16 (permalink)
It is also a good reminder of how many people read/monitor this forum without logging in (or having an account). There are several ways to read into that one.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Atsuko
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 365
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 14:56:55 (permalink)
ampfixer
I noticed in the OP's system specs that he has 12 gig of ram. I think this is only possible if you have tri-channel ram and a MB designed to work with it. I had such a system and it gave me a lot of grief with Sonar. It's such an odd thing but I'm wondering if it has a bearing on system stability. I don't see that type of memory configuration on anything I've looked at recently.

Any computer Yoda's out there?

Hi, Ampfixer,
I have 12GB Ram and my desktop computer works like a charm!!  Yes, it has a tri-channel ram, motherboard is a Intel DX58SO.
Cheers!

Desktop Intel I7 12GB RAM Win 10 64bit - Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen - Roland A-300 PRO - Yamaha HS50M speakers - Sonar Platinum/CbB - Samplitude Pro X3 - Studio One 4 - Melodyne 4 Studio - Ozone 8 Adv - Neutron 2 Adv - RX7 Adv - ARC2 // Notebook Dell I7 8GB RAM Win 10 64bit
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 14:58:53 (permalink)
pwalpwal

Defending the company could have been nothing more than saying "we did what was in our contract to do"

The CEO of a fairly large company stepped in and said, I'll dedicate my best resources to help.  

Pretty big difference.  

Most CEOs have better things to do than get involved in a small internet gripe from a single user.  
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 18:34:01 (permalink)
Atsuko
ampfixer
I noticed in the OP's system specs that he has 12 gig of ram. I think this is only possible if you have tri-channel ram and a MB designed to work with it. I had such a system and it gave me a lot of grief with Sonar. It's such an odd thing but I'm wondering if it has a bearing on system stability. I don't see that type of memory configuration on anything I've looked at recently...

Hi, Ampfixer,
I have 12GB Ram and my desktop computer works like a charm!!  Yes, it has a tri-channel ram, motherboard is a Intel DX58SO.

Same here. My motherboard has tri-channel RAM too. I don't see why this should be a problem.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 19:59:59 (permalink)
Seeing Chuck on here reminds me I'd like a new ribbon Mic.

@Chuck
Respect

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
VariousArtist
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1397
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/26 17:53:02 (permalink)
konradh
Chuck S, If you read this, you are an exceptionally honorable guy to hang in there after all the hassle my system has caused you.  I would love to continue working with you guys, but want to pay as I go--you guys have done enough.  I will contact you via email.  I think an upgrade and fresh install is the place to start.

Craig, Thanks for the assist and for the plug for Trailer of Love.

Forum Friends, If you don't know already, Craig mastered the Trailer of Love album, and his mastering, edits, artistic input, and general consultation was invaluable.  He and I jokingly call TOL the "Sgt Pepper of country music," and keeping with that metaphor, Craig is George Martin.

This is my favourite post of the year. Great way to respond to people offering help, and not wishing to take undue advantage of said help. Nice one Konradh!
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/26 21:04:56 (permalink)
BTW about the George Martin thing...he liked my attitude about recording, so he wrote the foreword for my book "Home Recording for Musicians." But that tells you much more about him than it does about me. He was a very kind and intelligent person who was unfailingly gracious. He truly was one of a kind...he deserves all the accolades he's received, and then some. I would be thrilled if my obit was even a quarter as cool when I shuffle off to whatever's next.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/26 22:25:38 (permalink)
konradh
Craig and I worked remotely.  I was thrilled I caught him at a time when he was able to take on a project and he brought a lot more to the table than mastering.  He has been making great music a while and if he says something, you should probably listen.   By the way, check out his new album "Neo" on his YouTube channel.  Top shelf stuff!

And as for Chuck, I don't think I should get into all the details, but trust me when I say that Sweetwater went way beyond what anyone would have any right to expect.  Yes, I ended up with issues, but I don't know what more they could have done.  I got a couple of good albums out of my set-up so I am just going to move forward with a fresh install.  The interaction of the VS-700, Windows, Sonar, and lots of software makes troubleshooting extremely challenging.  For example, you may remember that EZDrummer 2 wreaked havoc with Sonar for a while until Toontrack provided a fix.  (I still think there is some bad interaction there with X1, but it is manageable.)

As mentioned, the VI installs were very tricky and any one of them (e.g., VSL, Hollywood) can tie up your system for many days, but maybe with the latest Sonar and Win 10 things will be OK. I will start now contacting the vendors to make sure I have all the account information.  (I just went through that with iLok and that one is OK after about 6 iterations.  Advice: Never, ever change your email!)

It is quite odd that I have issues that I can clearly document and recreate, but that Cakewalk has never heard of it.  Let's wipe the slate clean.

I will get this resolved and appreciate all the help and support from you guys and gals.

Y'all are great.

Hey Konradh, it's easy for me to spend your money but you should just upgrade to Win10 and whatever computer hardware is needed to make it happen. I'm sure you won't regret it.
Sonar Platinum and Win 10 Pro x64 is the best DAW and OS combination I've worked with.
Get Jim Rosebery (StudioCat) to build your PC, set it up and load all your software.
No offence to Chuck from Sweetwater, but Jim is a regular here, knows Sonar and is gigging musician. I think that's a helluva advantage.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
stxx
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/03/01 04:08:04 (permalink)
I always get perplexed by these posts. I've been using sonar since sonar 7 and maybe earlier. I've have at least 5 or 6 computers since then and now I run sonar plat on a creation station running 8.1, a
Laptop running win 10 and another running win 7! I've used updated from 8.5 to X1 to x2 to x3 and to platinum. I have a ton of extras including 10 uad cores, wave and a host of other 3rd party plugs and never had any serious issues on any of the aforementioned systems. I am very literate with computers and have worked in the field for many years so at times I've have to do repairs, restores and just plain debugging but I always got things to work. I can only assume those that continue to have serious issues with their machines don't know how to properly manage their resources nor understand how and where to install things. So... in the end the issues are likely not specifically sonar or even cakewalk related but more of an ill conceived computing environment and that is where you need to look to solve your problem

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/03/01 06:10:25 (permalink)
stxx
I am very literate with computers and have worked in the field for many years so at times I've have to do repairs, restores and just plain debugging but I always got things to work. I can only assume those that continue to have serious issues with their machines don't know how to properly manage their resources nor understand how and where to install things. So... in the end the issues are likely not specifically sonar or even cakewalk related but more of an ill conceived computing environment and that is where you need to look to solve your problem

I can't agree here. There are things that are beyond even very computer literate - e.g. if the issues are related to audio driver performance, there is nothing you can do about other than changing the hardware component that goes with it ($$$) ... plus there is an infinite number of combinations of PC components, audio hardware + 3rd party tools ... so there is always a chance of having something that does not fit together

I have seen similar performance / crash issues like Konradh is reporting and spent several years trying to fix them. While I could improve the overall situation, some things just could not be solved.  There were still some combinations of plugs and their application that had a high chance of crashing ... which were reported to software and hardware vendors but not addressed as it was of course the responsibility of the other party involved IYKWIM ... eventually support is dropped for one of the components involved and the problem will never be addressed.

Luckily I do have a much more stable system now (only 2 crashes in 6+ months), but interestingly it required a lot less "expert intervention" or tweaks. It's win10 pro now with some services turned off, offline, anti-virus properly configured ... plus new audio interfaces with much better drivers (which was really the game changer, yet quite cost intensive)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/03/01 09:09:22 (permalink)
X1 is Cakewalks worst effort ever. It's a very poor choice for a version to stay on.

I couldn't even get X1 to open and run until they released the X1c update. Yet I'm running the same PC I am now.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Thedoccal
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 290
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/03/01 11:25:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/03/01 18:53:19
Windows 7 is your problem.  I had the same crashing issues for months til Windows 10 came out.  If you have all the drivers for ALL your stuff upgraded to Win 10 compatibility, then you may ask Sweetwater what they think.  It is an option.  Wait...you're using X1d.  My x1d version worked well with Win 7.  Platinum forced me to move to Win 10.  But it works.  I feel for you.  Wait...I think X1 was back in the Win XP days...I may have gotten Win 7 during X2 or 3...now I'm just guessing.  I'll stop.

http://www.catastrophelounge.com
The NeckDive Strap - NEW^^
Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/03/02 19:06:24 (permalink)
For the Sweetwater support offered here, this deserves a bump.
emwhy
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1402
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/03/02 20:27:46 (permalink)
Windows 7 was released in late 2009. X1 came out in late 2010. For the record I had very few problems with X1, yes it was quirky and took a while to learn and break old habits, but I successfully mixed a two hour live concert recording and a few other things on it without any major showstoppers or crash issues. 
I switched to Windows 10 about 4 weeks ago and quite frankly have found it to be better overall than 7 after you turn off all the MS BS. Sonar runs great, and all my older plug-ins including the jBridge 32 bit vsts still run as intended.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1