Helpful ReplyI Don't Want to be That Guy

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
2017/02/23 18:35:50 (permalink)

I Don't Want to be That Guy

I don't want to be that guy who says, "I've had it--I'm done with Sonar," but I am almost there.

• I've been using Sonar X1 since it came out.
• I never upgraded because I spent months on the phone with Sweetwater technical support (who built the system) trying to get all the VIs and interfaces to work.  I am terrified an upgrade will break what little I already have and Sweetwater passed their limit working with me. They are no longer an option.
• Also, I fear an upgrade won't fix the issues since the issues I have are things people on this forum swear they've never heard of before.  The person who set up the PC and did the installation had never done it before, and God only knows what is wrong.
• I also am not confident my VS-700 will work if I upgrade.

So, my choices are to buy a new PC, install the latest Sonar from scratch, and somehow get all these expensive sample libraries working.  That could be hard because Sweetwater set up somewhat random user IDs and passwords with the various vendors and I am not even sure I have all of them.  Plus, my ISP went away and I had to change to gmail so anything requiring email authorization is now broken.

Second choice is to buy a MAC and Logic Pro and, of course, still somehow solve the problem of installing the sample libraries.

In either case, I would pay a consultant who knew what he or she was doing to set this up for me.  (That was what Sweetwater was supposed to do but it was a disaster.)

Right now I am lucky to get an hour of work in before a crash that requires a reboot, or losing audio which requires different fixes on different days.  While I am working, I don't have snap, copy and paste works oddly, running more than a few VIs kills audio, and I have a variety of other issues no one else experiences.

I am completely serious about hiring someone, but if that person wastes my time or money, my wrath will be boundless.

This is not a hobby for me and I cannot afford down time.

Any thoughts?

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/23 19:02:50 (permalink)
I hope I don't get beat up for recommending a competitor's product, but you could try the free Tracktion 5 DAW and see how things work for you. It's a small download, and IMO, not too difficult to set up. If nothing else, it may help you narrow down where the problems lie.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t5-daw
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/23 19:05:21 (permalink)
Did you try the sonar Platinum Demo ?
Im guessing your still on windows 7 because the VS700 needs the drivers ? (though I believe there was a work around for 8 / 8.1)
What kind of video card are you using ?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

telecharge
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/23 19:13:37 (permalink)
chuckebaby

Any chance of that hosing his X1 installation?
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/23 19:42:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby coolbass 2017/02/24 16:25:25
telecharge
chuckebaby

No, they can live side by side.

This is indeed a quandary. If the issue is with the computer or the way it's set up, then it's very possible anything on the computer is not going to be happy. Also, the system is in its twilight...Windows 7 is doomed. And let's face it, X1 was not Cakewalk's finest moment.

A Mac and Logic is indeed an alternative, and I consider Logic the most "SONAR-like" of what's available for the Mac. But, then you buy into the Mac ecosystem, and get those emails from software companies saying "Don't update to the new OS yet!! We're working on it and we'll let you know when it's safe!!!" I have Logic on the Mac and it's fine, but I'd rather use SONAR.

Here's what I suggest: Schedule a remote desktop session with Obedia.com. Those guys know their stuff and they will work with non-PC Audio Labs computers. It won't cost you much and they'll probably be able to fix your problem, or at least give you your options. In all my time with Windows and SONAR I've only had a couple intractable problems, and they were able to fix both in about 10 minutes, as well as recommend much better hardware to replace some existing components. Ask for Brian, and tell him I sent you. He knows hardware and software, and is an all-around good guy too.

They'll be able to assess your situation. I think it's the best place to start.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
StarTekh
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2007
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/23 19:56:49 (permalink)
Konradh : I saw your post and though I would chime in. I put Sonar x3 on the shelf for 2 years.. watching what would become of Sonar...  then I took a chance and dropped 199.00 ... To say the people did a good job on Platinum would be a understatement ... They did a mass over-hall  ! So up dating  worked out very good here ... I also could buy whatever.. but this build works great ...as for whether your vs-700 will work other will tell you ! Hope this helps you !
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/23 21:09:48 (permalink)
It sounds like money is more abundant than time.

I bought one of those audio cat computers. He installed Windows and Sonar for me.

I've done a clean install since upgrading to Windows ten.

The point is you could install everything on the second computer. Until it works better than your first computer, you could still use your current computer.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Anderton
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/23 21:36:36 (permalink)
gswitz
The point is you could install everything on the second computer. Until it works better than your first computer, you could still use your current computer.

Great point. That's exactly what I do when I switch to a new OS, although because I have a happy computer, I use a removable drive.

I forgot to mention in my last post that the V-Studio most definitely works with Windows 10, I got it working thanks to the advice in the hardware forum. I also have the feeling that if it works with Windows 10, it's going to keep on working.

[Hey Konrad - maybe it's time for me to (finally) visit you and get this sorted out! Still love your album, great stuff.]

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/23 21:46:26 (permalink)
I noticed in the OP's system specs that he has 12 gig of ram. I think this is only possible if you have tri-channel ram and a MB designed to work with it. I had such a system and it gave me a lot of grief with Sonar. It's such an odd thing but I'm wondering if it has a bearing on system stability. I don't see that type of memory configuration on anything I've looked at recently.

Any computer Yoda's out there?

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
telecharge
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/23 22:04:44 (permalink)
I would guess it's 8 GB and 4 GB modules. It won't run in dual channel mode, but the performance difference is negligible. I have a couple of systems running 6 GB (4+2).
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/23 22:11:48 (permalink)
It sounds to me like your present system was doomed from the start and what you've been doing, and will continue to do, is limp along until things finally collapse.  Two weeks ago I had a catastrophic HD crash and decided to go ahead and get a whole new system.  I'm now on W10 with SPLAT humming like never before.  Why not go ahead and upgrade everything?  Installing everything again took about 3 days (lots of time down-loading), but other than the time invested, it wasn't that bad an experience.  Even if you lost your passwords it's easy enough to get new ones, and if your old email is kaput I'm betting a reputable software vendor will find a way to work with you.  I'm thinking that's not a terribly unusual situation.  You're going to have to do it at some point anyway so why not do it now?  In two weeks you'll be happy you did.   Just my .02.

I do hope you get everything worked out, and if you leave SONAR I truly hope you find what works for you.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/23 22:17:47 (permalink)
Konrad runs things like Vienna which is very disc and memory intensive. I would recommend giving Jim Rosebery a call and asking for his advice.
My opinion about Sonar X1 is that it was Cakewalks worst product ever. Sonar Platinum is a completely different beast. And it is a real beast of a DAW. You should be able to use it for anything you want on a Jim built PC.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Anderton
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/23 22:23:49 (permalink)
mudgel
Konrad runs things like Vienna which is very disc and memory intensive. I would recommend giving Jim Rosebery a call and asking for his advice.

Jim is great. I don't know if he works on computers he didn't make, but if so, that's another option.

My opinion about Sonar X1 is that it was Cakewalks worst product ever. Sonar Platinum is a completely different beast. And it is a real beast of a DAW. You should be able to use it for anything you want on a Jim built PC.

Sweetwater is a great company and I've always known them to go the extra mile with their customers. But for many years it was a Mac house, and it sounds like you got in on the ground floor of their starting to get involved with Windows.

I can tell you from personal experience that Chuck Surack cares about every single Sweetwater customer. This is not hyperbole. Consider getting in touch with him directly, he will listen.

Chucksweet
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/23 22:55:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2017/02/24 09:54:23
Konrad, 
I'm sorry you are having problems. I really would love to get this going for you. If you wouldn't mind, please send some details of what is going on and how to reach you and I will put my best people on it tomorrow. I am not usually on this forum, so if you would please email it to me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Chuck Surack
Chuck_Surack@sweetwater.com
Sweetwater
post edited by Chucksweet - 2017/02/24 10:15:56
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 02:39:56 (permalink)
Hi Konradh,

If you are using the VS-700R as your audio interface that may actually be the reason for your frequent crashes and required reboots. I'm talking from experience here because I was in a similar boat until I swapped it for a MOTU but kept using the VS-700C as a control surface. Since then the random problems e.g. like not being able to open a project which Kontakt, crashes when using some VIs, silent master bus, meters moving but no sound, etc. have completely vanished.

What you could try (without breaking anything and investing up front):
  1. full backup (which have anyway, right?)
  2. install VS-700C driver, connect it via USB, flip the dip #1 switch in the back and the VS-700C control surface will work as before (except headphone out and aux in on the VS-700C)
  3. borrow a top notch interface (either RME or latest MOTU, nothing else IMHO), install and use for test period ... maybe even sweetware can provide you one for a test ...
  4. it that works, decide on I/O and get an RME/MOTU interface fits your needs
  5. if it does not change anything, flip the dip switch back and you are at least back at your current system

Alternative, you could ...
  1. do the full backup
  2. have someone install win10 in-place (!!!), which effectively wipes out your old windows but should keep your software (some plugs may need to be re-authorized), then ...
  3. install the VS-700 as documented in the Cakewalk hardware forum (it will definitely work on win10, but unfortunately not change the Roland driver vs VIs performance problems, hence I still recommend swapping the audio interface first) ... so personally, I'd only install the VS-700C driver and also try with an RME or MOTU interface
  4. optionally go for Sonar Platinum, which will be much better from a usability perspective, but I would not expect any significant improvements as regards stability with 3rd party plugs (as this is 99.99% driven by audio driver stability)

In either approach it comes down to taking out the VS-700R as the audio interface from the equation first, because these Roland drivers never were as good as they claimed them to be ...

Feel free to PM me if you have questons that don't fit this thread.

Cheers,

Rob

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Earwax
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 02:54:34 (permalink)
Chucksweet
Konrad, 
I'm sorry you are having problems. I really would love to get this going for you. If you wouldn't mind, please send some details of what is going on and how to reach you and I will put my best people on it tomorrow. I am not usually on this forum, so if you would please email it to me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Chuck Surack
Sweetwater

If this is truly Chuck Surack, here is your answer right here. Take him up on his offer. Sweetwater is a good company. If, on the other hand, this is NOT truly Chuck Surack...............................

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 03:07:04 (permalink)
Anderton
telecharge
chuckebaby

No, they can live side by side.

except for the shared components, of which there can be only one

just a sec

Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 03:50:12 (permalink)
I can't really do much about stability but I think you've had some great suggestions and offers. As for usability, I'll concur that I didn't like X1 much at all. It was their first "redesign" effort and it took a few tries to smooth it over. X3 and onwards have been great to me.

I also like Logic but hate the Apple ecosystem.
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 07:53:56 (permalink)
Anderton
Sweetwater is a great company and I've always known them to go the extra mile with their customers.

+1 for Sweetwater my guy Alan Carter is always there for me and gives me great advice!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
konradh
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 09:07:42 (permalink)
First of all, I don't want any of this to reflect poorly on Sweetwater.  There was a problem with the set-up but Sweetwater spent more money than they ever got from me trying to help.  I just did not think they would wish to get involved any further.  I am actually embarrassed to call them back, but will respond to Chuck's kind offer to help.  I am happy to pay for any services going forward--just need a level of confidence I can get all this expensive software running: VSL Special Edition, VSL Dimension Strings, Hollywood Strings, Ivory II Grands, RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Real Rick, Scarbee Jay Bass, Scarbee P-Bass, Scarbee Rick Bass, Fab Four, Vir 2 Acoustic Legends, Kontakt 5, Guitar Rig, Lexicon Pantheon, plus lots of Kontakt instruments and smaller libraries.

Suggestions here are all great.  For the record, I am not an Apple fan and not anxious to change platforms, although I do think Logic Pro is a fine product.

Money is not abundant but more so than time.  Setting up a second computer and using my current one as a backup is definitely a possibility.

Regarding the VS-700, I hate too give up the console, but that is not the most important thing in the world. If it can work on Win 10, that would be great.  I already have a brand new MOTU interface that has never been used so changing off the VS-700 is just a matter of plugging and unplugging.

Konrad

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
pwalpwal
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 09:11:38 (permalink)
konradh Setting up a second computer and using my current one as a backup is definitely a possibility.

i think is probably your best path

just a sec

Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 09:38:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2017/02/24 09:48:30
OP - the President of Sweetwater posted in the forum to help.  That is your starting place.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 09:53:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2017/02/24 10:36:53
Brian Walton
OP - the President of Sweetwater posted in the forum to help.  That is your starting place.

+1, you cannot get much better than that.

Also, realizing the immense investment you've made in software, do not feel obliged to "stay married" to the hardware it runs on. If the time comes that hardware becomes more of a liability than asset, do not stress over letting it go (regardless of the initial investment). I realize that this is not what folks enjoy hearing, but the one asset you will never get back in life is time (and how you spend it).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
bz2838
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 366
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 10:00:54 (permalink)
I bought my computer from these guys seven years ago, it's a first generation Intel I-7, and it  still keeps up with the latest software, they know what there're doing as far as building audio computers.  I read about many problems on this forum that I never have had, and I attribute this to ADK's expertise.  I recommend you give them a try on your next computer.  It's not always the software, Konrad, sometimes it's the combination of the right components in an audio computer.  https://www.adkproaudio.com/music-production-desktops

Purrrfect Audio:  Intel i7 7700k (Kabylake), 32Gig DDR4/2133, Windows 10x64 Pro, USB RME Babyface, Sonar Platinum Current
Anderton
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 10:24:36 (permalink)
Earwax

If this is truly Chuck Surack, here is your answer right here. Take him up on his offer. Sweetwater is a good company. If, on the other hand, this is NOT truly Chuck Surack...............................

I confirmed that it really is Chuck Surack. It's impressive that the CEO of Sweetwater would address this personally, although frankly it's not surprising.

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 10:30:20 (permalink)
Where are you located, Konrad? Maybe your best bet would be to solicit a paid consultant via this forum, someone local to you who's willing to come to your place and solve your problems first-hand.

It's not a business category you'll find in the Yellow Pages, but you never know: the expert adviser you need may be right down the street and a reader of this forum. Someone who could save you from throwing unnecessary money at the problem without first understanding what the problem actually is. Shotgunning in the dark can get expensive and frustrating.

X1 was indeed Cakewalk's most embarrassing product. After having long been first in line for every new version, I elected to skip X1. And X2, and X3. I would have stayed on 8.5 forever, but after my DAW was stolen and I had to start over from scratch, I crossed my fingers and took the plunge with SPlat. Short story: it's been a delight. Solid and mostly trouble-free, with most bugs being quickly addressed. Moving off X1 will undoubtedly resolve some of your software problems. 

That said, it's entirely possible that at least some of your issues may be hardware-related. However, I wouldn't buy a new DAW until I knew that was the case. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
pwalpwal
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 10:36:11 (permalink)
just as a something, why is it impressive/whatever that someone would step up to defend their company's reputation? surely that's expected?

just a sec

jackroller
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 95
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 10:36:22 (permalink)
Sweetwater is the best!

MOTU 896mk3
Win 10 x64, Intel 5820k 4.0Ghz, MSI x99a Krait Mobo, 32GB RAM, JBOD from Hell.  
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 10:47:13 (permalink)
pwalpwal
just as a something, why is it impressive/whatever that someone would step up to defend their company's reputation? surely that's expected?

because not every CEO out there cares about every single one of its customers.
is that really too hard to believe ?  Ever deal with guitar center

Maybe for the small Mom and Pops company's. but Sweetwater is a huge company.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

konradh
Re: I Don't Want to be That Guy 2017/02/24 10:48:30 (permalink)
Chuck S, If you read this, you are an exceptionally honorable guy to hang in there after all the hassle my system has caused you.  I would love to continue working with you guys, but want to pay as I go--you guys have done enough.  I will contact you via email.  I think an upgrade and fresh install is the place to start.

Craig, Thanks for the assist and for the plug for Trailer of Love.

Forum Friends, If you don't know already, Craig mastered the Trailer of Love album, and his mastering, edits, artistic input, and general consultation was invaluable.  He and I jokingly call TOL the "Sgt Pepper of country music," and keeping with that metaphor, Craig is George Martin.

Konrad

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1