Helpful ReplyI Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
2018/10/15 22:43:12 (permalink)

I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question

As some of you know, I bought the ARC 2.5 room correction system last May.  I don't use it much and the reason why is that when I use it, it tells me that I need to add bass to the track and if I do it is much too bassy and deep on the playback of every playback system I play the product on.

Here's what I really don't get:
My tiny studio is 5' x 12 ' and I have it situated along the short wall.  I have it set up acoustically using acoustic tiles by Auralex and by their suggestion (after evaluation) placed the bass traps 2 high and 2 low and the low pair go directly behind the field monitors, which are JBL LSR 308's which have the bass porting out the back of the speakers, so as per Auralex's suggestion, the bass goes out of the speakers and directly into the bass traps!!

I realize that ARC 2.5 is designed to be the correction that your recording and mixing environment lacks so when I have the room  set to Flat response it cuts back bass response.  When I toggle it off and on the correction, when bypassed, the bass gets much louder, so what that results in is, as per ARC flat response, I add bass.  I turn off ARC when rendering the mix and when I play the song in Windows Media Player or WinAmp I have to cut the bass on the players equalizer so as to not be blown out of the room by the bass.  In fact, the bass takes over the track and upstages everything else going on in the song, but I set it up as per ARC Flat response mode.

Why is my room so bassy when the bass traps are (supposedly) sucking the bass out of the room?  It's impossible for me to reconfigure my room set up as it is so small and the tiles are, for the most part, permanent.   ARC users, let me know what's going on here.

Thanks!
John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
msmcleod
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/15 23:03:39 (permalink)
The bass traps aren't sucking the bass out - they're stopping bass reflection off the back wall.

It sounds like something hasn't gone right during the measurement process.

I had a similar issue when I moved my speakers away from the back wall. When they were against the wall, there was too much bass without ARC2, so my mixes sounded really tinny. ARC2 fixed this.

However, when I moved my speakers away from the wall had the opposite effect - basically what you're getting - i.e. ARC2 says there's too much bass, so it cuts it, and you end up adding too much back.

If you've got a small room, it may be that the microphone is too close to the speakers which is causing a proximity effect. Try re-doing the measurement with different volume levels.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
David
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 231
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/15 23:04:32 (permalink)
Bass traps are normally put in the corners of the room , they are normally about 4" thick . what is the thickness and material of the "bass traps " ? Each room is different and your is not the best , I have tons of traps in all corners plus 
the ceilings , because of the low ceiling I still have problem , right now I am using sonarworks , but I have arc as well
 I prefer a hardware solution and used a eq just to tame the bumps , that work very well too  but Trapping is first!

David F

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/16 00:40:17 (permalink)
The problem is the internal volume of your room, which is a bit small to properly support very low frequencies. Any kind of analysis software you employ is going to tell you there isn't enough bass (or worse, that there are huge peaks and dips in the upper bass frequencies that you need to correct). But if you trust its assessment, you will invariably end up with excessive bass that doesn't translate well to other environments. This is one case where a simple spectrum analyzer on the master bus will be of more practical value than anything that listens to what's bouncing around the room. At least for low frequencies, anyway.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Johnbee58
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/16 01:18:27 (permalink)
bitflipper
 This is one case where a simple spectrum analyzer on the master bus will be of more practical value than anything that listens to what's bouncing around the room. At least for low frequencies, anyway.

Any suggestions (hopefully free)?

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/16 02:59:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/10/17 13:52:35
Johnbee58
bitflipper
 This is one case where a simple spectrum analyzer on the master bus will be of more practical value than anything that listens to what's bouncing around the room. At least for low frequencies, anyway.

This one is pretty good  .
https://www.voxengo.com/product/span/
I see you are using Cakewalk by BandLab . On your master bus you have a Pro Chanel with The QUADCURVE EQ.
If you are not using that for EQ'ing your master , you can engage it , leave it flat and then enlarge the fly out section  so you can see what bass frequency's are giving you the most problems .

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

msmcleod
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/16 08:59:44 (permalink)
Johnbee58
bitflipper

I found that taking new measurements at the lowest possible level ARC would accept improved things for me significantly.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
Johnbee58
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/16 15:36:41 (permalink)
msmcleod

I found that taking new measurements at the lowest possible level ARC would accept improved things for me significantly.

So, you're suggesting I re measure.  I took the first one back in May and my memory isn't good enough for me to recall what you meant by lowest level.  Would appreciate your refreshing me.

I regret buying those baffles.  They were a real waste of $500.00.  But Auralex couldn't have been honest enough to tell me that my small room was just too impractical for the panels to do me any good. (That would've cost them a sale). Then, according to some, I wasted another $200.00 on the ARC.  I'm not Bill Gates.  It would be nice if those in music retail would be more honest.  I gave Auralex my room dimensions and sent a pic of my room.  Honesty is always the fairest way to go.  Ahhh, but who said life was fair??

John B

batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/16 16:32:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2018/10/16 17:48:48
first, make sure you are using the mic correctly,
the old mic has to be pointed at the ceiling,
the new mic has to be pointed at the center spot between the two monitors.

now, setup a 'reference' song.....

once you re-measure your ARC, (make sure you are at 48khz), set your playback volume of your monitors
(i find 75 db to be just right for me)

set up a "new tune", and name it something like "Reference Songs", and pull in several of your favorite pro recordings;

line them all up on top of each other, and mute them all but one...

use the fader for each stereo track and set them so that the softest song is at ZERO, and everything else gets the fader moved down to match the volume of the softest one (there are other better ways to do this, but this is the fastest),
this puts all the playback of your 'reference' tracks at the same volume.
do this to each song, til they all have the same playback volume, muting all but one as you go along.
this way, when you play them back, you can pick and chose individual songs to reference on the fly.
i pull in hard rock, soft rock, jazz, acoustic stuff, classic rock modern, etc.

then apply the ARC vst on the mains.

setup the 'FLAT' target curve setting as a start point.

then playback all of your favorite reference songs thru arc, one by one, and look for similarities and anomalies.

now, in ARC, you have the ability to setup CUSTOM eq settings;

chose custom 1, 
and start to build your own custom curve, based on what you know from the playback of known pro mixes thru your monitor system in your room (you should know these songs well enough to know that you are hearing good translation and recognize frequency issues from the room):

then, toggle the correction on, off, on, back and forth, as your tweak your custom eq curve.

eventually, you'll get a better end result that stands up across more playback system than simply taking the 'FLAT" target curve it lays on you.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

stxx
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/16 19:57:20 (permalink)
Of course its going to sound bassy IN THE ROOM YOU RECORDED IN post mix and you turn it off.   How does it sound on other systems?   Sonarworks Reference Studio is superior to ARC2 because it also has a toolcalled Sytemwide  that allows ALL sound through the PC to be corrected based on the measurements and no, it doesn't "correct" twice if you have a plugin in your DAW and on the over computer sound output.  Its smart and knows the difference.  If you are having issues on other outside systems then you need to tweak your correction curve or redo the measurement process carefully

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
batsbrew
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/16 20:39:01 (permalink)
well, i disagree with stxx on which is better, since i've heard both..

but yes, he hit on a good point..

you have to turn the arc OFF when bouncing or exporting the final mix.
otherwise you have clownphucked your project.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Johnbee58
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/16 22:22:11 (permalink)
batsbrew

you have to turn the arc OFF when bouncing or exporting the final mix.
otherwise you have clownphucked your project.

I do, as I pointed out in my original post.

batsbrew
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/16 22:33:06 (permalink)
try my method.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Johnbee58
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/17 10:36:54 (permalink)
Kenny's post brings me to another good question.  How do you read a spectrum analyzer?  I take notice in the Pro Channel as well as Ozone 8 Elements and Waves L3 Multimaximizer (all of which I have) it shows a wave moving in real time.  Is this where to look to determine where to cut?  If, say, there is too much of a high wave in the bass frequencies to the left does that mean I need to bring that area down closer to the center horizontal line (0db)?

John B

msmcleod
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/17 12:15:03 (permalink)
Johnbee58
Kenny's post brings me to another good question.  How do you read a spectrum analyzer?  I take notice in the Pro Channel as well as Ozone 8 Elements and Waves L3 Multimaximizer (all of which I have) it shows a wave moving in real time.  Is this where to look to determine where to cut?  If, say, there is too much of a high wave in the bass frequencies to the left does that mean I need to bring that area down closer to the center horizontal line (0db)?

John B

The spectrum analyzer will show you where the loudest frequencies are - whether you should cut them or not, should be up to your ears, not what you see.

For example, quite often for a bass guitar it'll show nothing on the spectrum analyzer for the high end, but cutting the high frequencies has an obvious audible effect. Obviously cutting the frequencies where it is showing a signal has an even more audible effect.

Having said that, the spectrum analyzer is useful for showing you exactly where build up may be happening, especially in the low mids.

But like I said, use your ears not your eyes.

Mark McLeod
batsbrew
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/17 14:05:48 (permalink)
spectrum analyzers simply show a moment in time.

it does not tell the whole story.

could be, that one frequency you want to cut according to the analyzer, is the one important moment in the song, and it needs to be there....
and isn't there the rest of the time.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/17 14:16:03 (permalink)
msmcleod

The spectrum analyzer will show you where the loudest frequencies are - whether you should cut them or not, should be up to your ears, not what you see.

For example, quite often for a bass guitar it'll show nothing on the spectrum analyzer for the high end, but cutting the high frequencies has an obvious audible effect. Obviously cutting the frequencies where it is showing a signal has an even more audible effect.

Having said that, the spectrum analyzer is useful for showing you exactly where build up may be happening, especially in the low mids.

But like I said, use your ears not your eyes.

I'm going to both agree and disagree with the above statement, at least in John's particular circumstance.

Mark's correct in saying that a visual representation only tells you so much. It's difficult to correlate what you see on a graph to what you're hearing. A spectrum analyzer can only tell you that your mix is over-represented at 500 Hz, not which track should be chosen to own that range and which tracks should be cut there.

However, as much as we'd like to think otherwise the truth is that you cannot always trust what you hear. Especially in the bass frequencies.

There are many reasons for this, but most often it's because of the acoustical signature of your room. That's where SPAN or something similar comes into play, because it doesn't care how small your room is or whether you have bass traps or how close your speakers are to the wall. It's an objective and consistently reliable reference.

But inserting a spectrum analyzer is just the first step. The obvious next question is how to interpret what the analyzer is telling you, and how to turn that information into action. It's neither automated nor intuitive, but it can be learned without too much work.

Create a project and import several commercially-made songs into it. Choose reference material that's similar to what you do. Examine the low frequencies in SPAN for each of your references. They won't all be exactly the same, but there will be obvious similarities. Take some screenshots if necessary. Now export your latest project and then import it into this same test project so you can compare your mix to those references. Get your low end in the same ballpark and you'll be OK.

Another technique is to spend time listening to those references in your room. For most of them, you've probably only listened to them outside of your recording space before. But after a few hours of just listening - no need to measure or take notes, just listen - and your ears will gradually "learn" what a good spectral balance sounds like on your speakers in your room. Eventually, you won't need the spectrum analyzer except as a double-check.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/17 16:19:22 (permalink)
Some real good people I respect chiming in here in this thread

I don't have ARC so I cannot comment on using it .
FWIW I have seriously wanted to pick it up . My hesitation has been the same two old brick walls I have hit in the past ...
Having the money to get ARC with out having to go out on a limb in other areas of my life and more importantly when I am being a 100 % honest with my self I know there are areas of my skill set that have large holes in them ...

Will buying a new set of tools change much for me ? or am I more in love with the idea that I like the rush of going on an all expense paid up front VST production suite honeymoon ..
My time might be better served methodically learning what I have already on hand with my tools .
If I was to invest a little focused time in reviewing and relearning the some of the basics I learned half a$$ed along the way in my journey  .
I will be able to even out my knowledge and production skills to bring a few areas I'm lacking in up to speed ...

As far as what a few people have said here , I agree with much of what has been said and I also disagree peacefully with a number of things that have been said also .
It is not my desire to be contentious or to take sides ...
I will say that when it comes time to engage in the activity of self produced music , there is absolutely no reason to do so while flying blind and deaf ...
If I'm looking at things too much in my DAW and I'm getting hypnotized by all the dancing objects in my GUI
I will close my eyes and listen to see  if my eyes are doing all the listening ...
Or on the opposite side of things , if I'm grooving on the playing and I'm digging how the song is coming along yet I am blocking out sections that just don't sound right too me I may need to open my eyes and make some changes.
If my foot ain't tapping and I'm not saying wow that section gave me chills .Chances are the tune is gonna die on the vine anyway .

Good points have been brought up on being able to understand what you see and hear while using your production tools .
Those skills are never static because each and every new song or musical project you involve your self with will present it's own unique set of challenges ..
The people here on the forum that perform and record in multi genre forms of music can attest to that ...

anyway it has been nice talking w you ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

simeon
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 494
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/17 16:55:10 (permalink)
As others have mentioned some great input on this subject which shows why the Cakewalk community is a great resource. Well I thought I would throw my 2 cents in as I have experimented with ARC over the years.

I have used ARC in a couple of situations and since it is software based you have to start off right as others have mentioned. I have just set up my room in a totally different way and have not used the new ARC 2.5 with the new microphone yet but something I might do in the future.

Proper initial measuring is an absolute must!
If you are using this you cannot shortcut this. Also the more measuring points you can do the better. I sort of look at the measurement points like changing a tire when you go to tighten the lug nuts, there is a specific pattern to it and it goes the same way when using ARC. The readings are based on a geometry that correlates the position of the measuring mic to the distance from the speakers to create the profile so that is why this has to be done right.
It is very tedious at first but crucial.

The other issue is that if you adjust the position of the speaker after your measurement you have to do the process again so make sure your speakers are placed where you need them to be before starting the process.
I have a couple of monitor pairs Tannoy and actually the IK Multimedia iLOUD Micro monitors (which are surprisingly amazing) so you would have to do separate measurements for each pair.

This is a learning process and no matter how long you have been working with music the learning never stops. Be open to learning something new and do not close your mind to ideas that at first might not seem logical. In the end of the story you will take away what works for you in hopes that your production quality can continue to rise.

Best regards to everyone and best of luck.

Simeon Amburgey
Sound Creations, Inc.
www.PraiseTracks.com
***PS.89:15***
msmcleod
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/17 17:48:11 (permalink)
One tip I'd have for any ARC users....

Get a some old carpet (a light colour, like beige) about 3' or 1m square and write down the measuring points on the carpet with a sharpie.

Next time you need to measure, you just throw down the carpet and line up the bottom of the stand with the measuring points as you go through. Taping a laser pointer to your mic stand can also help.

It's a pity IKMultimedia don't supply a suitably sized ready-marked polythene sheet for this, but I guess it would be different for each room.

Mark McLeod
Johnbee58
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/17 18:11:34 (permalink)
simeon
As others have mentioned some great input on this subject which shows why the Cakewalk community is a great resource.

This is absolutely true!!  I really hope we don't lose track of each other in the transition to the new forum, whenever that happens.

JB

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/20 21:31:52 (permalink)
"Another technique is to spend time listening to those references in your room. For most of them, you've probably only listened to them outside of your recording space before. But after a few hours of just listening - no need to measure or take notes, just listen - and your ears will gradually "learn" what a good spectral balance sounds like on your speakers in your room. Eventually, you won't need the spectrum analyzer except as a double-check."

This!

My room is crap, It's been a long time I've been stuck in a corner in my proper studio space and then lately I moved downstairs to our TV/office/Guest room so as not to abandon my wife completely.
I'm in possibly the worst space I have ever used. But--- I have my monitors I have used for now over 20 years and I not only mix my music, I sit and listen to all music in that space, I also watch a lot of music u tube videos of concerts etc. 
I 100 % use my ears and at all levels while mixing. I also have a set up with my master section that involves the Brick wall limiter and my sub buss meters hitting certain levels. I also use hi Pass EQ on all busses. ANyhow, A nice room would defiantly make tracking sound better, but I find I can mix just about anywhere as long as I have my trusty near fields.
 I always thought that that was why they called them "near fields" The room is not as much a factor and lower volumes and when the speakers are that close to you.
post edited by Cactus Music - 2018/10/20 22:03:06

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Johnbee58
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/22 10:53:10 (permalink)
Cactus Music
"Another technique is to spend time listening to those references in your room. For most of them, you've probably only listened to them outside of your recording space before. But after a few hours of just listening - no need to measure or take notes, just listen - and your ears will gradually "learn" what a good spectral balance sounds like on your speakers in your room. Eventually, you won't need the spectrum analyzer except as a double-check."

This!

My room is crap, It's been a long time I've been stuck in a corner in my proper studio space and then lately I moved downstairs to our TV/office/Guest room so as not to abandon my wife completely.

That's funny!    My wife complains that when I'm working on a project I get "lost in there" (my recording room).

JB

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/25 19:37:14 (permalink)
Well she say's even when I'm upstairs in the attic studio she hears what I'm doing anyhow. She is used to hearing the same song over and over a million times for 40 years now. :}

I bought her a set of Sony Bluetooth Head Phones and she listens to videos while knitting and my work doesn't bother her so much then,, I mostly will be editing MIDI and using headphones too. I save all vocal and guitar tracking for when she's out and about or go back upstairs.

When I retire in a few years I will get around to a nice studio re-build in the attic with proper treatment and speaker placement. I will even build a floating isolated sub floor as the ceiling is high so I've the room to do this.. I want lots of Cedar! I love the sound of cedar rooms.

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

SmokeyJ628
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 809
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/26 13:05:54 (permalink)
Is ARC worth owning and using if you don't have room treatment? 
fret_man
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 312
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/26 13:10:39 (permalink)
I thought that is what it's for.
SmokeyJ628
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 809
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/26 13:26:09 (permalink)
I would've sworn I read in this thread that it would be foolish to use ARC without starting with rudimentary treatment first, but I can't seem to find the comment.
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/26 13:33:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SmokeyJ628 2018/10/26 18:15:19
I use ARC in an untreated space.  ARC has my low end completely under control.

When I finally get around to re-arranging and treating I will remeasure and see where I'm at.  I fully expect to continue using ARC, but I also expect ARC to have less work to do.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Johnbee58
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/26 15:42:54 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Well she say's even when I'm upstairs in the attic studio she hears what I'm doing anyhow. She is used to hearing the same song over and over a million times for 40 years now. :}

I bought her a set of Sony Bluetooth Head Phones and she listens to videos while knitting and my work doesn't bother her so much then,, I mostly will be editing MIDI and using headphones too. I save all vocal and guitar tracking for when she's out and about or go back upstairs.

When I retire in a few years I will get around to a nice studio re-build in the attic with proper treatment and speaker placement. I will even build a floating isolated sub floor as the ceiling is high so I've the room to do this.. I want lots of Cedar! I love the sound of cedar rooms.

I love the smell of cedar too.  So, are you saying that your music bothers your wife?  She must not like your music that much!  That's odd for a couple.  Try writing her a few love songs "just for her".  That always works wonders.

msmcleod
Re: I Just Don't Get It! ARC 2.5 Question 2018/10/27 01:45:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2018/10/27 09:44:23
kennywtelejazz
Some real good people I respect chiming in here in this thread

I don't have ARC so I cannot comment on using it .
FWIW I have seriously wanted to pick it up . My hesitation has been the same two old brick walls I have hit in the past ...
Having the money to get ARC with out having to go out on a limb in other areas of my life and more importantly when I am being a 100 % honest with my self I know there are areas of my skill set that have large holes in them ...

Will buying a new set of tools change much for me ? or am I more in love with the idea that I like the rush of going on an all expense paid up front VST production suite honeymoon ..
My time might be better served methodically learning what I have already on hand with my tools .
If I was to invest a little focused time in reviewing and relearning the some of the basics I learned half a$$ed along the way in my journey  .
I will be able to even out my knowledge and production skills to bring a few areas I'm lacking in up to speed ...

As far as what a few people have said here , I agree with much of what has been said and I also disagree peacefully with a number of things that have been said also .
It is not my desire to be contentious or to take sides ...
I will say that when it comes time to engage in the activity of self produced music , there is absolutely no reason to do so while flying blind and deaf ...
If I'm looking at things too much in my DAW and I'm getting hypnotized by all the dancing objects in my GUI
I will close my eyes and listen to see  if my eyes are doing all the listening ...
Or on the opposite side of things , if I'm grooving on the playing and I'm digging how the song is coming along yet I am blocking out sections that just don't sound right too me I may need to open my eyes and make some changes.
If my foot ain't tapping and I'm not saying wow that section gave me chills .Chances are the tune is gonna die on the vine anyway .

Good points have been brought up on being able to understand what you see and hear while using your production tools .
Those skills are never static because each and every new song or musical project you involve your self with will present it's own unique set of challenges ..
The people here on the forum that perform and record in multi genre forms of music can attest to that ...

anyway it has been nice talking w you ,

Kenny

The main question you have to ask, is when you take your mixes out of your studio and play them elsewhere - i.e. the living room hifi or your car - does it sound more or less the same, or (more importantly) still sound good?

If the answer is yes, then ARC2 is probably not a priority.

For me, I'd play my mixes on my hifi and there was literally no bass whatsoever. All of my mixes sounded awful. I'd play them back in my studio, and they'd sound fine.

ARC2 totally fixed this issue for me.

The proof to me was that after setting ARC2 up, my mixes sounded just as bad as they did in the house! So I did the necessary adjustments, and it sounded good in both environments.

Mark McLeod
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1