I WIN!!!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2009/01/07 16:43:59 (permalink)

I WIN!!!!

I have never been to this forum until today. Now I find that 5 of the 27 forums have my name as the OP.

HAH
No one is more irrelevant than me.
NO ONE.
NO ONE.
NO ONE.

Also,

Was it stranger when everyone dressed up just alike
Or was it stranger when Brian Eno was more down to earth?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

30 Replies Related Threads

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 16:57:34 (permalink)
    Oh but just hearin ol Brian Ferry sangin "It's My Party" is worth almost anythang.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    space_cowboy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 17:12:06 (permalink)
    I am a "Do The Strand" guy.

And "In every dream home, a heartache"

Hey MOP did you get my email? And the $100 bill?

Also, what is the keyboard in that second video?

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    space_cowboy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 17:16:37 (permalink)
    BTW - I have a 64 red Firebird VII just like Phil's (though mine was refinished badly, then stripped down and redone from scratch). Still, red 1964 firebird VII's rule.

And on the keyboard, not Eno and the VCS3, or the two Revoxs the keyboard at the start of the video. This would have been early-mid 70s.

yorolpal
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 18:22:01 (permalink)
    Wail, even tho I am acclaimed to know just about everthang...that there's got me stumped. Must be some "foriegn" nancy-boy synthorgantron made in Sweden or somewhere. He should be playin a Vox Continental.

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 18:25:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

BTW - I have a 64 red Firebird VII just like Phil's (though mine was refinished badly, then stripped down and redone from scratch). Still, red 1964 firebird VII's rule.

And on the keyboard, not Eno and the VCS3, or the two Revoxs the keyboard at the start of the video. This would have been early-mid 70s.

Maurice

I think it's a old Hohner electric reed organ much favoured by the home users of the period.

Or even a Farfisa Pro? Made in Italy which is obviously the capital of Swedish synthorgantron manufacture for the connassewer.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/01/07 18:49:38

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 18:49:52 (permalink)

I am a "Do The Strand" guy.

Interesting clip.

Was that from the new Duran Duran bio pic, "Editions of Rio"?

They should have gotten someone prettier to play Simon Le Bon.

And the keyboard player needs more hair and better makeup.

The other guys look like they might clean up OK. Really!

Must be an early scene.

space_cowboy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 18:50:12 (permalink)
    It does look somewhat like the Farfisa.

space_cowboy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 18:57:29 (permalink)
    Hey HCMG - Roxy Music were the epitome of art rock at the time. Brian Ferry and his bizarre voice and a tux (later on)

with Phil Manzanera on the guitar looking all bug like such as this:

Of course, Brian Eno, before he got all mental and everything, took the cake

Marah Mag
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 19:03:22 (permalink)
    Me loves ze Roxy Music.

Third Roxy-related post in less than 12 hours:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1595191&mpage=1&key=#1595449

space_cowboy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 19:12:59 (permalink)
    So
    Not to be sexist, but is Avalon your favorite?
    Not for me

I like
    Amazona
    Both Ends Burning
    Virginia Plain
    Love is the Drug
    In Every Dream Home
    Do the Strand
    Oh yeah (ok so that one is sappy)
    Street Life
    There aint a bad album of the lot

SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 19:28:58 (permalink)

So
    Not for me

I like
    Amazona
    Both Ends Burning
    Virginia Plain
    Love is the Drug
    In Every Dream Home
    Do the Strand
    Oh yeah (ok so that one is sappy)
    Street Life
    There aint a bad album of the lot

All of "Country Life" (2-girl Euro cover) for me, especially "Triptych" and "Prairie Rose".

Jonbouy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 19:34:04 (permalink)

It's one of mine...Phil is absolutely amazing on that track and album.

as is

Remake/Remodel
    ...well that entire album really...oh and the next one.........

yorolpal
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 19:40:53 (permalink)
    Yea it was Country Girl for me too. But I still own all of Brian's early post Roxy solo albums and, taking surrealness into consideration there's not a stinker on any of them. But, as I alluded, his cover of "It's My Party" makes me downright giddy. And his live cover of "Smoke Get's In Your Eyes" is genuinely revelatory. And although he ain't near as puuuurty as myownself he's way more good lookin than that ol panty-waist Simon LeBon whatever.

Jonbouy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 19:43:59 (permalink)
    he's way more good lookin than that ol panty-waist Simon LeBon whatever.

And in a way different league as a singulater.

Marah Mag
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 20:29:22 (permalink)

So

Not sure why that would be sexist.

Also not sure I can say which is my fave. The first batch, through Siren, are all nearly as good as that era gets. Manifesto is nice, but kind of meh. Flesh and Blood has it's moments. Avalon is near perfect. But Flesh and Avalon are more in the mold of Bryan's solo records, especially the later ones, whihc I eventually lose interest in. If I was forced to pick, I might have to say it's For Your Pleasure, based on the perfection of its first side. That's a basic style reference for me. Produced by Chris Thomas (as were some of the others) and you can hear how the sound of it influenced things like Bollocks 6 or 7 years laster, also produced by CT. Bryan's first few solos are really good. I'm curious about his recent all-Dylan record, since I was weaned on Dylan and worship his mid-60's stuff, but even when I see Ferry's Dylanesq in the library and can borrow it for free, I don't.

Re: Duran, I think they've got some very good stuff. They're influences are right up there, though obvious, and they're not dummies. They get the art-pop-irony thing nicely. BTW, the record by the Duran spinoff group Arcadia is very good.

Funny how Eno left Roxy cos Bryan was too much a poseur, yet quickly went on to work with Bowie, David Byrne, and Bono La Bon.

I lent a girlfriend my cd of Eno's Here Come The Warm Jets (which sounds like it could've been a followup to For Your Pleasure) and she refuses to give it back to me. But there's a remastered version of it out so maybe I'll buy it para moi.

PS. Bryan Ferry is dating his son's ex.

PS2. Ever notice how the Country Life record (with Triptych and Prairie Rose) has a really weird sound? Kind of like an old cassette that was dolbied or dbxed and not decoded... hard to describe. Love Prairie Rose... another basic style reference for me... very much like the fasties on FYP.
    post edited by Marah Mag - 2009/01/07 20:38:15
    yorolpal
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 23:39:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marah Mag

PS. Bryan Ferry is dating his son's ex.

Well, is he following the half your age plus seven rule?

space_cowboy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/07 23:57:59 (permalink)
    Here come the warm jets! Yes a top 20 in my view. Fripp on baby's on fire. PM on several tracks. I love taking tiger mountain too. And for your pleasure was near perfect. The sexist caution comes from the fact that the only females I know that ever heard of roxy music knew avalon only.

I have listened to most of enos ambient stuff but I love the early stuff and the odd like my life in the bush of ghosts.

space_cowboy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/08 00:01:06 (permalink)
    Here come the warm jets! Yes a top 20 in my view. Fripp on baby's on fire. PM on several tracks. I love taking tiger mountain too. And for your pleasure was near perfect. The sexist caution comes from the fact that the only females I know that ever heard of roxy music knew avalon only.

I have listened to most of enos ambient stuff but I love the early stuff and the odd like my life in the bush of ghosts.

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/08 00:15:45 (permalink)
    space, you deserve some kind of award. This is the very first thread on this forum where I did not have the faintest clue what anyone was talking about.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    yorolpal
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/08 00:25:02 (permalink)
    Oh Bit, if you ain't heard "Baby's On Fire" from Here Come The Warm Jets (by Brian Eno...before he got all uppity and famous) then you ain't lived. Anyone who starts off a song with the lyrics "Baby's on fire...better throw her in the water" demands, at least, a cursory glance.

Jonbouy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/08 01:11:16 (permalink)
    Now I find that 5 of the 27 forums have my name as the OP.

I just realised that is somewhat less than the obligatory 20-40%

space_cowboy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/08 10:10:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yorolpal

Oh Bit, if you ain't heard "Baby's On Fire" from Here Come The Warm Jets (by Brian Eno...before he got all uppity and famous) then you ain't lived. Anyone who starts off a song with the lyrics "Baby's on fire...better throw her in the water" demands, at least, a cursory glance.

Hey Here Comes The Warm Jets was a classic.

And a huge line up

Brian Eno
    Phil Manzanera
    Chris Spedding
    Rpbert Fripp
    John Wetton
    Andy Mackay
    Busta Jones

Track 2 "The Paw Paw _egro Blowtorch" has a classic Eno minimalist VCS3 solo on it.

Baby's on Fire has a tremendous Fripp solo.

Yep
    Here Come The Warm Jets was great.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/08 13:20:02 (permalink)
    I just dug out all the old Eno/Roxy albums while I was rummaging around. Need to give them a listen and transfer the best of over to CD. It is funny - my wife and I had many of the same LPs. I found three copies of "Never mind the Bollocks".

But my best find was a 60s/70's copy of Ernest Tubb I bought my Dad and thought I'd lost. Has his version of "Lord knows I'm drinking," just about the best country song ever - and his version the best. I couldn't find that track anywhere on the internet to buy. I guess it is mono when I tried transferring it - had to limit it and roll off some of the bass. Besides, I love the way LPs transfer, clicks, pops and all.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    space_cowboy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/08 14:11:14 (permalink)
    I may look like Robert Ford, but I feel like Jesse James -- R. Zimmerman

Not as good as "People tell me I look like Merle Haggard, but sound like David Allen Coe" but respectable none the less.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/08 17:07:58 (permalink)
    Space,

I might have to change it, then. REspectable I don't wanna be.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/08 19:45:59 (permalink)
    Oh, that Brian Eno. The one responsible for that annoying ditty Windows plays when it boots up, until you disable it.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    yorolpal
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/08 19:59:49 (permalink)
    Did he do that?? I loved his Talking Heads work but...that???.....oh that's awful. Are you sure?

space_cowboy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/08 20:07:40 (permalink)
    He has done a bit more than that.

space_cowboy
    RE: I WIN!!!! 2009/01/08 20:58:06 (permalink)
    This

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

space, you deserve some kind of award. This is the very first thread on this forum where I did not have the faintest clue what anyone was talking about.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1