I am impressed with SHS4 so far

Author
DeBro
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 742
2005/08/13 10:51:12 (permalink)

I am impressed with SHS4 so far

Other than a little quibble with the UI, I'm having outstanding results. This is no entry level program - refered to by some on the Sonar forum. That lable should be applied to Music Creator. After a reformat of the system drive and subsequent installation of SHS4, I am hearing instruments better well defined in my mixes than they were in HS2004. So much so that I have decided to remix all of my old mixes. The Universal Bus Architecture is just great. You can create a send on one bus to another having complex routing schemes to create certain effects. I'm going to create a link to my music in the signature of my posts sometime in the near future. As the title says, I am impressed.

P.S. For persons interested, I have found this developer's free compressors and maximizer very good. I'm considering buying the commercial bundle for $49 to master my mixes with.

10 Replies Related Threads

boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: I am impressed with SHS4 so far 2005/08/13 11:13:38 (permalink)
    I also downloaded the mutli band compressor about three or four months ago and was impressed about the Buzz quality. Really really good for a freebie. Then I bought the Sonitus Multiband and obviously I left it aside.

Regarding SHS , I am in general very satisfied with the product. I thought I was imagining things when I listened to better mixes as well because I was always under the impression that the sound quality is driven by things like audio processing softwares quality and audio card converters. So how can a recording software make a better mixes if the only thing its doing is driving digital data back and forth? Well, who knows...
    post edited by boten - 2005/08/13 11:33:02
    GuitarMan56
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: I am impressed with SHS4 so far 2005/08/13 11:14:29 (permalink)
    I completely agree with you DeBro. Cakewalk SHS4 is fantastic. I was hesitant to upgrade from HS2 because I felt HS2 was all I would ever need, but SHS4 brings the program to a whole new level. After a week of using it, I have to say Cakewalk has a real winner here. I am really glad I upgraded.

Tom
    bbarnes
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1200
    RE: I am impressed with SHS4 so far 2005/08/13 19:21:30 (permalink)
    I have to say that I really like many of the new features. The navigation view is great. The view system is much better. The multiple takes to new tracks is really great. Its just like Sonar 4.
    Even though the audio engine seems more efficient I think it is really much better on the video side too. I mean as far as redrawing the screen and all that. I don't have some of the issues that I had with HS 2004. Without a doubt this is a great upgrade.
    I had some install issues at first but after I started some Windows services that I had disabled on my DAW I got it going really good now. I'm running it on a P3 750 W/ Windows 2000 which is below spec but it actually runs better than HS 2004.
    If you haven't upgraded yet I'd say to go for it. Sonar HS 4 is a great improvement.

Bill
    mewsician2
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1078
    RE: I am impressed with SHS4 so far 2005/08/13 23:14:00 (permalink)
    It's so good to get reviews like this, since I have nothing to compare.
    I had 2004XL for a couple years, and never used it. The second time I tried to use it, my PC crashed. As it turned out it had nothing to do with HS, but I just never got to it before the upgrade offer happened.
    I got Garrigus' Sonar 4 book (very thick book at that), and intend to get a handle on HSH4XL.
    Great thread, thanks.
    8ftsq
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: I am impressed with SHS4 so far 2005/08/14 10:16:02 (permalink)
    I agree with all....

I am really happy with it .I almost went for the Sonar 4 producer upgrade,but I felt that that was a little more than my humble needs requiredAs a bonus,I had enough chabos left over to get Melodyne Uno.(Which for my singing is a must..he he)

I can see already that I have alot of new things to learn.The flexability with the busses looks cool,I just have to learn what to use them for.And the navigator view is a really big plus too.The only drawbacks for me so far are I can't use CWENC mp3 encoder anymore from directly in the program and I can't seem to find a way to undock the loop explorer from the buss output view.It really cuts down on the viewing area when auditioning loops.

Really an excellent upgrade though.

My .02 cents...

Frank

Athlon xp 2800
    a7n8x-x mobo
    1 gb ram
    m-audio 2496 PCI
    XP home
    Sonar Home studio
    Reason 2.5

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=335809
    garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    RE: I am impressed with SHS4 so far 2005/08/14 10:53:12 (permalink)
    Hi Stephen,

Thanks for picking up my book! I hope that you're enjoying it.

For anyone else interested in learning all the ins and outs of Sonar Home Studio 4, be sure to check out my Sonar 4 Power book. SHS4 is a scaled-down version of Sonar 4, so the book will provide you with all the info you need to learn the features of the software with step-by-step examples and exercises. For more info and a discount, go to:
    http://www.garrigus.com/powerbooks.asp

Thanks!
    Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge and Sound Forge 6, SONAR, SONAR 2, SONAR 3 and Sonar 4 Power! books.
    ** Sound Forge 8 Power The Official Guide - Now Available! ** Books up to 37% off at:
    http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free copy of Cakewalks' Sonar Home Studio 4 music sequencing software and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 17,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
    http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/
    DeBro
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: I am impressed with SHS4 so far 2005/08/14 12:42:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 8ftsq

I can't seem to find a way to undock the loop explorer from the buss output view.It really cuts down on the viewing area when auditioning loops.

There is a Maximize/Restore button down at the bottom next to the Hide/Show Bus Pane button. Click on it to open up almost to full screen and again to restore just like the Windows Maximize/Restore button at the top of your screen.
    8ftsq
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: I am impressed with SHS4 so far 2005/08/14 16:10:02 (permalink)
    Well Duh!....

Thanks DeBro.(Like I said,I have a lot to learn! hehe...)

Frank

Athlon xp 2800
    a7n8x-x mobo
    1 gb ram
    m-audio 2496 PCI
    XP home
    Sonar Home studio
    Reason 2.5

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=335809
    Rigel Russell
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: I am impressed with SHS4 so far 2005/08/17 08:33:38 (permalink)
    Does anyone know if SHS4 can open a project created in S4PE? IOW, I have Producer Edition - can I exchange bundles with a SHS4 user, and vice-versa? I know we'd have to account for the possibility of different plugins, but aside from that?

Rigel
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: I am impressed with SHS4 so far 2005/08/17 08:43:14 (permalink)
    Probably not reliably. I don't believe HS supports the OSF file format. Any effects or features you used in Sonar PE that are not in HS would not work and may cause problems.

You would have to save your MIDI tracks in .MID files and your Audio tracks in .WAV and he'd have to import them into his project.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2005/08/17 08:49:26

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1