Helpful ReplyI can't believe it's over!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 14:19:21 (permalink)
UbiquitousBubba
For fans of the original series, there's something new out there. Star Trek Continues is a fan supported web series featuring new episodes with new actors playing the original characters.

(Incidentally, the role of Chief Engineer Scott is played by Chris Doohan, the son of the original Mr. Scott.)

I love it when that type of thing happens. 

Like when Johnny Van Zant took over for his late brother, Dweezil playing his dad's works or when Jon Bonham's son played with Zep.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 14:28:38 (permalink)
I used to watch Next Generation quite a bit. Lt. Commander Data was always trying to figure out humor, and Jean Luke Piccard was always saying, "Make it so."
craigb
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 14:30:57 (permalink)
And he gave us all those great facepalm shots too! 

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 16:10:21 (permalink)
timidi
I enjoy anything Star Trek. Seven Of Nine is my dream girl..:)

Anyway, My old roommate from LA days (35 years ago) was on deep space 9 (as well as others) regularly so I sort of get inundated with his memory pics on Facebook. Here's one with an actor.

Shots with both Worf AND Quark? Man, two of my favorite characters! :)

Apparently, Michael Dorn has been working on a spin-off tentatively called "Star Trek - Captain Worf". I'd be very curious to see that.

I've now watched 8 episodes of Voyager, and I do enjoy it, though so far, it's much more conventional, with stories that often remind me of TOS - the giant cell-like space entity (Immunity Syndrome), a crew member accused of murder on a foreign planet (Wolf in the Fold), a world where people voluntarily die (Taste of Armageddon)...

Not bad, but overall, it does feel like "more of the same", so far anyway.

But being a dork, more of the same is fine with me. Though I really miss DS9.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 16:18:55 (permalink)
Voyager starts getting really intense after a couple seasons. Thar be Borg in them there star systems.
spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 17:31:50 (permalink)
The Borg Queen in StarTrek First Contact movie (of the next generation - launch of the first warp drive engine) plays in a couple or so episodes in StarTrek Voyager.

Rain
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 17:37:05 (permalink)
I'm glad to see I have a few fellow tekkies/trekkers/fans in the CH. :)

Beepster
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 18:03:09 (permalink)
Between fleshing out the Borg history/society (as well as all the other societies they run into which have been untouched by humans or the Federation) adding the traditional anthropological nature of Star Trek and all the attempts to push physics to the limit in their efforts to get home rounding out the more tech/sciency stuff it really is quite good for tweaking the nerdly imagination.

DS9 I felt was less scifi and more action based. Lots of extreme fighting and a lot of the main foundation of the story was spiritual and philosophical in nature. IDK... DS9 was quite good but it kind of didn't really "feel" like Star Trek. Maybe that's just me.
Rain
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 18:29:00 (permalink)
Beepster

DS9 I felt was less scifi and more action based. Lots of extreme fighting and a lot of the main foundation of the story was spiritual and philosophical in nature. IDK... DS9 was quite good but it kind of didn't really "feel" like Star Trek. Maybe that's just me.

My initial reaction was that it was a very odd Star Trek. Took me a while to adjust. I hated Sisko for a couple of episodes - and the fact that he antagonized Picard really didn't help. But I grew fond of the characters, and their depth. Garak is a fine example - you're never quite sure about him. Even the bad guys like Gol Dukat. 

And then as the seasons go, this becomes your Star Trek.

But having started watching Voyager, I am reminded just how DS9 differs from the Trek universe

That being said, as someone who's always been into philosophy and the study or religions and spirituality, DS9 offers an angle that I can really appreciate. 

And as far as venturing away from the original Trek, DS9 is still more in line with it than the recent Abrams movies. Now THAT was sacrilegious, imho.

Beepster
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 18:36:49 (permalink)
Yeah, I haven't watched the Abrahms stuff yet. Kind of avoiding it because of exactly what you report but I guess I'll watch them eventually. I think I want to rewatch TOS one more time before doing so so that the altered/rebooted universe doesn't poison the traditional history.
craigb
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 18:50:46 (permalink)

Rain
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 19:10:17 (permalink)
Beepster
Yeah, I haven't watched the Abrahms stuff yet. Kind of avoiding it because of exactly what you report but I guess I'll watch them eventually. I think I want to rewatch TOS one more time before doing so so that the altered/rebooted universe doesn't poison the traditional history.

Abrams made a Star Trek that would please Star Wars fans and the people who never liked the franchise. Actually, one of my friends whose a huge Star Wars fan and never got Star Trek absolutely loved the Abrams movies.

When I saw Kirk racing a car listening to the Beastie Boys full blast, that pretty much sealed it for me...

EDIT - By the way, nothing against Star Wars - I'm a huge fan as well. But the two things are just completely different.

craigb
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 19:17:18 (permalink)
Rain
EDIT - By the way, nothing against Star Wars - I'm a huge fan as well. But the two things are just completely different.

Yes, in Star Wars there's a light side and a dark side while in Star Trek there's only Kirk's side. 

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/29 20:14:27 (permalink)
To this day I still have not watched more than 15 minutes of a star wars movie.
Beepster
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/30 10:29:54 (permalink)
craigb

There seems to be a severe aspirin shortage in the future.
Beepster
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/30 10:54:48 (permalink)
Rain
Beepster

Abrams made a Star Trek that would please Star Wars fans and the people who never liked the franchise. Actually, one of my friends whose a huge Star Wars fan and never got Star Trek absolutely loved the Abrams movies.

When I saw Kirk racing a car listening to the Beastie Boys full blast, that pretty much sealed it for me...

I was actually a Star Wars lunatic as a kid and still enjoy those movies as an adult but it's more out of nostalgia. A lot of people disliked the prequels (and there was a LOT of stupid stuff in them... grrr, Jar Jar! I just want to strangle that thing!!) but knowing the whole story is cool. I kind of wish someone would do an ultra dark and serious reboot of the entire franchise without all the kids stuff but I doubt Lucas would allow that. The animated Clone Wars series has more of the dark undertones that I think the story could benefit from.

Star Trek wasn't really as appealing to me as a kid because... well I was a stupid kid with a short attention span and couldn't appreciate that the ideas and technology were meant to be at least somewhat plausible. Even as a young adult it really didn't sink in because I was a dropout who didn't know anything about basic physics or engineering (which I have corrected in recent years... so now it's much cooler). 10 years ago Star Trek TNG would almost without fail make me fall asleep before the end of an episode. Now my mind dissects all the technojargon and physics bending they toss into it. It's a like a whole different show.

So seeing as how I can get into more action/fantasy based stuff like SW perhaps the Abrahms movies will be cool. The mention of Kirk blasting Beastie Boys seems a little cheesy but it can't be any worse than some of the extremely hokey fromage they crammed into the original movies. Gawd some of those scenes were bad... lol.

In regards to DS9 and the more spiritual element it was cool because I'm into that type of thing as well but it was very surprising especially after just pounding my way through TOS and TNG. It was a remarkably good show but it really kind of shattered the Federation being the ultimate good guys mythos... which I guess is cool too. Just weird. I think the idea was to show even the most benevolent of organizations can quickly grow some rot and internal discord when faced with extreme circumstances.

But the best thing about DS9 I think was we got to see Worf go ultra bad ass.

/dork

;-)
UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/30 10:59:13 (permalink)
It was nice seeing Worf actually win a fight for a change. In TNG, it seemed that almost every single alien he encountered slapped him down like a bug. 
Beepster
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/30 11:15:41 (permalink)
I think they really rounded out his storyline well. The struggle of being part of two VERY different cultures and trying to find a balance between the two while staying true to himself. Hating his Klingon side because of their brutishness and his own internal rage/violence which conflicted with all the morals he was taught by his human parents yet also feeling shame because he was considered weak by his blood race for having those human morals. In the end he shows he can be an extremely powerful warrior to be feared while still keeping the peaceful ideals he was raised with. He finds out he has more strength and honor than the Klingons who doubt him. Vindication is sweet thing.
Beepster
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/30 11:19:15 (permalink)
And did anyone else find Sisko's performance bizarre to the point of being humorous? Like his weird facial expressions, speaking manner and hand flourishes at odd moments? The dude cracked me up.

Rain
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/30 11:56:56 (permalink)
Beepster
And did anyone else find Sisko's performance bizarre to the point of being humorous? Like his weird facial expressions, speaking manner and hand flourishes at odd moments? The dude cracked me up.

It took some getting used to, but I got to appreciate him. 

Regarding Star Wars, overall, I'm one of the few who dug the prequels - in spite of Jar Jar. I think us fans of the original trilogy are so attached to those movies that we lost perpective. I watched them again last winter and, objectively speaking, they have their fair share of poor acting, bad dialogues, and silly childish characters... 

I mean, how are Ewoks NOT ridiculously caricatural and annoyingly childish?

And yet, I love those movies. They're an important part of my life.

craigb
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/30 12:04:19 (permalink)
Too bad they'll never get to the final trilogy in SW...  It was always meant to be three starting with the middle trilogy (which is why the first movie was named "A New Hope" and Episode 4).

Rain
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/30 12:10:19 (permalink)
craigb
Too bad they'll never get to the final trilogy in SW...  It was always meant to be three starting with the middle trilogy (which is why the first movie was named "A New Hope" and Episode 4).

Isn't Abrams filming that final Trilogy under the very strict supervision of Darth Mickey Mouse himself?

I remember as a kid how puzzled I was that it was dubbed episode 4. I assumed that we were missing a few of them in Quebec because they hadn't been translated or whatever. 

At any rate - the story of Anakin/Vader has always been the main focus to me. Luke always seemed rather uninteresting.

Beepster
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/30 13:18:03 (permalink)
There is supposedly going to be another trilogy coming out in a couple years. I'm looking forward to it but Lucas is indeed a very silly man (or became a silly man because his younger self produced THX 1138 which is quite adult and cool in nature). Ewoks were a perfect example of taking something intense and kidifying it for branding purposes (as is Jar Jar Binks who is quite a really bad attempt at having some weird Rasta appeal... ugh). That part of RotJ was supposed to be the Wookie home world that we only ever got a quick glimpse of in the prequels (Attack of the Clones IIRC and even then they made it cheesy with the obnoxious Tarzan yelp which ruined the sequence for me and was obviously intended to make a younger audience giggle).

Just lots of dumb kiddie stuff inserted in an otherwise really cool story. It's very awkward how it is inserted too. Like in the middle of the big coliseum battle the cutaways to C3P0 saying crap like "Oh my, I've really lost my head" or whatever was just really unnecessary and pandering. I don't think kids these days even appreciate that kind of bad humor. It's just talking down to them and seemingly for no apparent reason.

Anyway, that's where SW kind of fails for me. The originals were cheesy in a 70's early 80's kind of way but everything was pretty cheesy back then. With RotJ the Ewoks were pretty much the only really blatant kid branding. With the prequels it was like it was really cool and dark with this ridiculous pandering shoved in for the kids instead of just keeping with why people (us 30-40 somethings as kids) loved the originals and it became a branding phenomena on its own. They were just flashy and cool and made you imagine crazy stuff up in the stars so we wanted to buy the little action figures and Millenium Falcons and whatnots. I liked the nastier dudes in my figurine collection like Bobo Fett and Hammerhead. Those dudes were dicks and looked like freaks. F*ck yeah!
craigb
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/30 15:26:57 (permalink)
So were you bummed to realize that Bobo Fett was merely an unaltered clone of some guy who sometimes doesn't duck while going into doorways? 

Hehe...

Beepster
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/30 16:04:18 (permalink)
Actually I kind of liked the Bobo Fett back story. As a kid to me he was this crazy mysterious thingie. Like what was under that mask? Who the frack was he? Was he an alien? A robot? What?! Finding out his relation to the clone army was quite interesting. Actually the Clone Wars animated series really is far more interesting in a lot of ways specifically because it humanizes the storm troopers. They also fight a heck of a lot better than they do in the movies. lol
craigb
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/30 17:00:48 (permalink)
I just thought it was great that, due to a miscalculation by a Stormtrooper in the very first movie who bumps his head, that they would add a little scene where Jango Fett bumps his head to try and imply that this trait was also cloned.

I wasn't happy that they replaced the original Anakin in the "after death group photo" with Hayden Christensen...

But enough about all that!

Back to Captain Pike and company! 

Beepster
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/30 17:09:43 (permalink)
As much as the Anakin thing annoyed me the CGI jazz singer in Jabba's lair drives me far more insane. So unnecessary. They did give her a semi interesting story line in the Clone Wars though.

But yeah... enough Lucas. Moar STAR TREK!!!

t'pol was hotter than 7 of 9 and Crusher was hotter than Troy... discuss.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/31 09:33:11 (permalink)
Have to admit m a DS9 devotee as well.

In Australia the DS9 series reruns just finished and it was the first time I'd seen the last 2 seasons. Sad to see the story finish.

Voyager was OK but it took a while for the story line to settle but in the end it was just a soapy set onboard a lost spaceship.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/31 11:03:19 (permalink)
Resistance is Futile 

carry on ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Rain
Re: I can't believe it's over! 2014/07/31 14:06:17 (permalink)
I've just added the first DS9 novel to my basket - The Lives of Dax. 

First the novels, then what? How long before I start wearing a communicator badge and get an e-mail address @starfleet.com?

Am I friend with these guys now?

"One of Us, One of Us, Gooble Goble..."

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1