Helpful ReplyI despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: I despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different 2015/05/22 20:08:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby markyzno 2015/05/28 03:06:11
It's ironic that the only way I can get Maschine to work is in VS-700/ACT and not in Mackie Controller mode!
icontakt
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re: I despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different 2015/05/22 21:52:37 (permalink)
sharke
But even the manual PDF is frustrating, once you've actually managed to find the relevant chapter. For instance in setting up ACT for the A-PRO controllers, it says to make sure that A-PRO 2 is selected in the MIDI output dropdown. So I look and of course there IS no A-PRO 2 listed as a MIDI output

Confirmed. I suggest you report it to have it corrected. Also, I recommend using A-Pro Owner's Manual (not Sonar Reference Guide) when setting up/using A-Pro.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: I despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different 2015/05/23 06:38:31 (permalink)
I'm not into mapping tons of parameters to controls on a permanent basis, because I can never remember what maps to what. So I don't use ACT the way it's supposed to be used, but I believe how I use it - as basically a variable "scratchpad" for parameter control - is simple, effective, and very close to foolproof once it's set up.

I recommend those who are frustrated by ACT, or don't use it at all, to check out this blog post and see if the approach that's described works for you. As the intro says, "So if you’ve wanted to take advantage of ACT without having to reach for the aspirin, you’re in the right place."

Pay particular attention to Step 4. If you don't link the controller's controls to ACT, it will never work reliably. I think this may be at the core of a lot of peoples' problems with ACT.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: I despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different 2015/05/23 07:17:41 (permalink)
Anderton
I'm not into mapping tons of parameters to controls on a permanent basis, because I can never remember what maps to what. So I don't use ACT the way it's supposed to be used, but I believe how I use it - as basically a variable "scratchpad" for parameter control - is simple, effective, and very close to foolproof once it's set up.

I have published the link to even more effective "scratchpad" solution. Touch parameter - you can control it with your knob, if you want "assign" it to some knob - press one button on surface, done. No ACT Learn mode, no confirmation dialogs. One button pressed - control assigned. Scalable to any number and type of controls, easy to add coarse/fine switch, indication on encoders, parameter name on controller display, etc, etc.

But I understand more and more that in this forum (shifted or not) most people just want SPEAK about something. I do not claim that all do that, there is tons of interesting information, solutions, workarounds, ideas. But this thread is an example of what I mean.

One wants exactly 4 clicks to assign any parameter and is not going to accept anything else. Other try to combine one surface with plug-in for another and wondering that does not work well (and once pointed the approach looks a bit strange,  reply that any attempt to turn him from that windmill fighting is useless). The third, after an explanation that underling technology is not changed yet (but can be extended soon) still propose rewriting. Does some of them really wants something working? It does not look so for me.

So I surrender one more time. I see that my arrows do not even scratch that stone wall.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: I despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different 2015/05/23 13:14:00 (permalink)
azslow3
Anderton

I have published the link to even more effective "scratchpad" solution.

Are you referring to the thread on integrating ACT as deep as you want? I have not installed it because it seemed ilke you were coming up with a better way to do what ACT is supposed to do. But if it can also do really simple things like what I described in the blog post, then I definitely will check it out. 

Maybe change the thread title to "...as deep or as simple as you want" to avoid scaring people

By the way you were one of the people I was thinking of as helping create a shift toward more tips and techniques because of your work on the plug-in and the interest the thread has generated. I think it's very gracious you've taken this task upon yourself

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: I despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different 2015/05/23 14:11:41 (permalink)
Some of us don't want to fiddle and don't want to use something that can go away or become incompatible in a flash.

I quit using another DAW because it caters to tweakers.  I want direct, unconvoluted, supported by the DAW control surface support.

What's ironic is that with that tweakers DAW I can have 4 click support that works very well.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: I despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different 2015/05/23 14:20:39 (permalink)
Anderton
azslow3
Anderton

I have published the link to even more effective "scratchpad" solution.

Are you referring to the thread on integrating ACT as deep as you want?

No, my post #25 inside this thread (where we are now, page 1).
The link: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,206.0.html

sharke has asked in OP about possibility to control parameters easily. I have create a preset for that, I have written detailed "click by click" (not so many really) instruction how to install and test it. Reaction? As usual... silence... with continued discussion "why it is still not possible".

I have not installed it because it seemed ilke you were coming up with a better way to do what ACT is supposed to do. But if it can also do really simple things like what I described in the blog post, then I definitely will check it out. 

Maybe change the thread title to "...as deep or as simple as you want" to avoid scaring people

It is not "simple"... The person should ask me to support some particular device and be ready to test the result (since I do not have the device). And people are so busy with what they are doing, no time for that. It is more interesting spending time complaining to CakeWalk then testing something.

But some people have found the time, and so  A&H Qu and ZED, Faderport and Alphatrack presets was born. StudioMix will come. And I have some new interesting ideas in addition to "ACT Quick Dial with Save/Recall".

By the way you were one of the people I was thinking of as helping create a shift toward more tips and techniques because of your work on the plug-in and the interest the thread has generated. I think it's very gracious you've taken this task upon yourself

I have understood that. Thanks for nice words!

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Doktor Avalanche
Re: I despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different 2015/05/23 22:15:52 (permalink)
sharke
But even the manual PDF is frustrating, once you've actually managed to find the relevant chapter. For instance in setting up ACT for the A-PRO controllers, it says to make sure that A-PRO 2 is selected in the MIDI output dropdown. So I look and of course there IS no A-PRO 2 listed as a MIDI output

icontakt
Confirmed. I suggest you report it to have it corrected. Also, I recommend using A-Pro Owner's Manual (not Sonar Reference Guide) when setting up/using A-Pro.

With my A300 I can configure it just like the manual. Yup I have A-PRO2. All the inputs and outputs have to be enabled.
So I cannot repro.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: I despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different 2015/05/23 23:19:12 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
sharke

icontakt

With my A300 I can configure it just like the manual. Yup I have A-PRO2. All the inputs and outputs have to be enabled.
So I cannot repro.

So you have A-PRO2 listed as a MIDI output? 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Doktor Avalanche
Re: I despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different 2015/05/23 23:40:45 (permalink)
I'll screenshot when I get a chance.
icontakt
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re: I despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different 2015/05/24 23:23:23 (permalink)
There's no A-PRO 2 output port, AFAIK.

---

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
AndyDavis
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
Re: I despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different 2015/05/28 01:15:49 (permalink)
Anderton

I recommend those who are frustrated by ACT, or don't use it at all, to check out this blog post and see if the approach that's described works for you. As the intro says, "So if you’ve wanted to take advantage of ACT without having to reach for the aspirin, you’re in the right place."

Pay particular attention to Step 4. If you don't link the controller's controls to ACT, it will never work reliably. I think this may be at the core of a lot of peoples' problems with ACT.

FWIW - That's exactly how I would like to use ACT, but it is so unreliable that I can't. I mainly just use Automap for the task.

I'd like to be able to use NI's Kontrol wrapper because it has a very nice sound browser, but I can't Automap that one and ACT refuses to recognize any parameter changes on the contained synth.

Skipping Kontrol and just using the plugins directly is a mixed bag. Sometimes ACT can figure out that I am moving a control, other times it can't. For half an hour, I tried all the ways I could think of to remap "Glide Time" on Monark to rotary 1. It showed up as R6 by default, and I couldn't change it to save my life. I could change R1 to other controls, I could control Glide with R6, but couldn't reassign it.

This works perfectly with Automap and it also works perfectly in Studio One. (Honestly, S1's implementation of this whole area is an amazing bit of work. Very fast, accurate, intuitive, and makes the details visible enough to troubleshoot with but not so visible that they overwhelm the real work going on.) FWIW-Kontrol worked perfectly in S1 also.

Don't ask the question if you cannot live with the answer.
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: I despise ACT and I'm going to scrunch my face up until there's something different 2015/05/28 02:42:46 (permalink)
BobF
There is a FR or three that would be worth finding and voting on if you hate it as much as some of the rest of us do. 

+1000

Please. Go there and show your interest in ACT. Let Cake know that this is important.

I reported several bugs in recent years which never made it into any sort of "under investigation " queue or whatever, which is sad because I personally believe it would take only a few bug fixes to get back the functionality documented in the manual and make this feature worthwhile again ... improvements and feature upgrades are welcome, but take time. I'd be happy if just the mapping would persist the way I set it (when using more than one ACT controller attached to the DAW BTW)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1