AnsweredI dont care what people say... I have the new Dream Theater in 96/24 and i love it!!!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: I dont care what people say... I have the new Dream Theater in 96/24 and i love it!!! 2016/02/10 18:49:41 (permalink)
Jarsve
I thought this was just the keepers tracks....

I'm sure it was for them! 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: I dont care what people say... I have the new Dream Theater in 96/24 and i love it!!! 2016/02/11 08:46:42 (permalink)
Bought this last week and have listened to the first 10 or so tracks.

it's a different direction for them, but I still reckon nothing compares to "A Night to Remember"

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Jesse Screed
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1158
Re: I dont care what people say... I have the new Dream Theater in 96/24 and i love it!!! 2016/02/11 18:59:00 (permalink)
I don't care either!!!!   Ha!!!!

Jesse Q. Screed
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: I dont care what people say... I have the new Dream Theater in 96/24 and i love it!!! 2016/02/12 08:17:41 (permalink)
I had another go at listening to DT last night;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0fPY9PPB2E

Serious question; is that what LaBrie usually sounds like live? I can't imagine it is, no-one would put up with that for long, surely? I turned it off right at 5:00.

Am I missing something?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
craigb
Re: I dont care what people say... I have the new Dream Theater in 96/24 and i love it!!! 2016/02/12 10:54:01 (permalink)
That IS the number one complaint with DT.  Not sure why, but his voice doesn't bother me as much as it does others though I'd love to hear them with a better singer.

UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: I dont care what people say... I have the new Dream Theater in 96/24 and i love it!!! 2016/02/12 11:07:38 (permalink)
If the band is good, I can tolerate some "eccentricity" in the vocalist. I mean, I like Rush. When James goes for his "soft" tone and gets incredibly breathy with a glacially slow vibrato, he stretches my ability to tolerate him. I struggle sometimes to understand him due to his inability to enunciate, but that's a trait he shares with many other singers. When I find myself irritated with his vocal, I try instead to focus on the other parts being played at that time. It's not just with DT. I do that with other bands, too.
craigb
Re: I dont care what people say... I have the new Dream Theater in 96/24 and i love it!!! 2016/02/12 11:20:59 (permalink)
UbiquitousBubba
If the band is good, I can tolerate some "eccentricity" in the vocalist. I mean, I like Rush. When James goes for his "soft" tone and gets incredibly breathy with a glacially slow vibrato, he stretches my ability to tolerate him. I struggle sometimes to understand him due to his inability to enunciate, but that's a trait he shares with many other singers. When I find myself irritated with his vocal, I try instead to focus on the other parts being played at that time. It's not just with DT. I do that with other bands, too.

Including some that play in the Coffee House? 

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: I dont care what people say... I have the new Dream Theater in 96/24 and i love it!!! 2016/02/12 11:38:31 (permalink)
UbiquitousBubba
If the band is good, I can tolerate some "eccentricity" in the vocalist. I mean, I like Rush.

I agree, but honestly, that performance I linked to is dreadful...isn't it?

I knew nothing about DT until I saw a copy of 'Scenes From a Memory' at cut price and took a chance. Loved the music, but I thought then that the singer wasn't up to the standard of the band. Since then I try periodically to get into them but just hit a wall when he starts howling away.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
craigb
Re: I dont care what people say... I have the new Dream Theater in 96/24 and i love it!!! 2016/02/12 12:10:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2016/02/12 12:28:45
He's better than Cookie Monster vocals which I will never understand.  Why people would want to listen to someone puking into a microphone is beyond me...

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: I dont care what people say... I have the new Dream Theater in 96/24 and i love it!!! 2016/02/16 14:14:37 (permalink)
Hi,

Jarsve
Moshkito Hi,   Bought it ... on the way home to my ears!

Good. This album us more on the prog side, but i like it. I think its great.

All in all, the first CD, is actually exceptional on its own, and would not need to add just about anything that is from the 2nd CD, a lot of which did not have the character and tone and continuity that the first CD did.

I would say that the 1st CD is prog, and the 2nd CD is more copy and not as well designed and thought out as the first half was. I tend to think that the 2nd part/half was rushed a lot more than before.

Some nice things ... this is the first time that I actually can HEAR the keyboard work by Jordan Rudess, instead of always thinking he is just secondary to the guitar all the time. And he is quite visible and very nice on the 1st CD and almost invisible on the 2nd CD ... when most of the stuff in the 2nd CD does not have the lively feel that the 1st CD did because of the keyboards. James LaBrie can do some soft stuff. Though not as sensuous or as viable as others in terms of the "standard" for softer and lyrics that require a more significant lyrical edge ... which it could be said that james lacks, but then, no one here or anyone else has stated that Peter Hammill also lacks the lyrical and the soft edge ... and he's much harder than James ever will be in terms of comprehension and appreciation for the music and work ... and I have known folks tell me that PH can't sing ... but if James can't sing, he has the pipes to last 2 to 3 hours and also the mental ability to concentrate for that long ... and that's a very valuable part of what they do at Dream Theater.

Compositionally, I have no issues with the band. What they do, and consitently so, is always a treat and worth a listen, provided we get past the generalizations that many of us have a tendency to fall into/with. I don't look at DT as "prog", any more than I do "rio", anymore than I do "classic", any more than I do "progressive". To me this is an excellent band, and the longer pieces are alomst always very well defined. And they are, compositionally, fairly strong, compared to many other bands, and we can go as far up the lists as we wish. These, do not sound like the same songs, rehashed.

If I have a note to make on their work, is that we need more from the bass, more from the keyboards, and a bit less of the lead guitar, and that would make for music that would be probably "trippier" and not so "metal'ized" a sound, as to alienate a lot of folks out there, that would, otherwise, enjoy this band and their work.

For me, the two CD's could be cut into one CD, and make this an outstanding album of music, and most of the 2nd CD, would probably fall off. I listened to the first CD about 5 times, before I actually put on the 2nc CD, and at that point, the 2nd CD, just did not sound good at all.

Still ... it is Dream Theater! And a good band it is and deserves that credit! 
post edited by Moshkito - 2016/02/16 14:32:07

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: I dont care what people say... I have the new Dream Theater in 96/24 and i love it!!! 2016/02/18 04:24:15 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Amazing musicians, flawless playing, inventive arrangements, superb productions...and yet I find them unlistenable. I keep trying though.

You're not alone!! I have this same issue! And for the life of me, I don't know what it is. At first I thought maybe jealousy....then part of me said "no, some of this isn't really even musical to me, it sounds like repetition and years of theory and mathematical formulas."

Then the real answer came to me....I put on their first two albums and realized the band that won me over initially didn't really exist anymore. I'm a sucker for a hook and though they shoot you a few here and there today, it's more wankage than I can handle....and this coming from me, a wanker guitarist! I think James voice is shot and they should hire Tony Harnell from TNT.....and maybe go for more of that "Images and Words" sound.

I know....they hated that album, but in my defense as a fan, that's what won me over. They had the perfect mix of hooks, song content, musical wankage, prog, and I really liked James' voice on that album. That other one was cool too....the one with 6 o'clock....can't remember the name at the moment....ah, Awake I think it was?

But I felt the band has gotten further and further away from what made me a fan originally. When a band sells me on something, I guess I expect to hear that sound for a while. I'm not saying put out the same record every year and don't grow....but there is something to be said about the bands that did that if we go back in history. Led Zep, Van Halen, Def Lep, Bad Company etc...they all put out same sounding albums for a while and I sincerely feel maintaining your sound is an important key to longevity. That doesn't mean stagnate and rehash your old stuff....but it's nice to like a band and hope you get some of what got you interested in the first place, ya know? Instead, I've always felt let down by DT for this reason. Again, I absolutely love and respect them for their greatness. They just got too far away from what sold me as a fan.

Then again, they don't need me as a fan and hats off to them for doing what they believe in and making an honest living while doing it. It's not easy to survive doing that style of music. Those guys never take breaks and I can't fathom the work and time they've put in over the years. They deserve success. I just wish I could listen to more than 2 songs. Maybe I'm just getting old...this is coming from a dude that teared up watching Demi Lovato sing Lionel Richie's "Hello". Anyone see that at the Grammy's? She floored me! Yes...I am old, disregard this message.

-Danny
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2016/02/18 04:43:19

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1