Helpful ReplyI don't get it...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
2014/04/11 16:36:23 (permalink)

I don't get it...

If you have enough brain cells left to hook up a home theatre system, how is it possible that it doesn't cross your mind that if you bring that stuff in your backyard, in a residential neighbourhood where there's a mere 10 ft between houses, you will piss off your neighbours?

I hate people.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 16:39:34 (permalink)
But it does invite some creative revenge, ya?  Like starting a lawn mower AND a weed whacker next to the fence (using duct tape to keep them going) then leave both on and go inside for a while.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Rain
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 16:48:31 (permalink)
craigb
But it does invite some creative revenge, ya?  Like starting a lawn mower AND a weed whacker next to the fence (using duct tape to keep them going) then leave both on and go inside for a while.

I swear to you that today is a particularly bad day. They wouldn't hear it.

I walked outside at 10 am with my book, hoping to read a few pages before starting my day.
There was this annoying poodle barking and he kept at it for at least half an hour.
He only stopped when that other neighbour started what sounded like a compressor or a pomp of some kind.
That went on for almost an hour. And it was LOUD.
In the meantime, I got back in.
When it stopped I got out again - only to be plagued by the idiot with the home theatre - at the exact moment I sat.
But that didn't last long as the compressor started again and drowned out everything else.
I walked back in again.

The darn compressor stopped 2 minutes ago - but at the very same moment, a bunch of guys w/ leaf blowers arrived to clean up a nearby backyard.

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 17:25:53 (permalink)
Ahh, the sounds of Summer. I am waiting impatiently for such sounds to fill the air. Been a long snowy winter here.

Still, I feel your pain. Been there a hundred times or more. Such is the price of living 10 feet or less from one's neighbors. Imagine being a day-sleeper like I was for years.

Even if one moves to a more reasonable 20 miles from one's neighbors, nature has a way of telling you to move back. Like when a family of ravens (avian loudest-obnoxius) build a nest right above your bedroom window.

Unfortunately, people are generally allowed to make noise in most communities between 8AM and 10PM. Most people are at work sometime during those hours so it doesn't bother them... especially if they're the ones making the noise. The rest of us have to just put up with it to a degree. If one or more noises "continue" to be a nuisance (like a dog that barks incessantly for no reason), you can probably report them to the proper authorities who may or may not do something about it.

Try wearing a pair of noise cancelling wireless headphones playing some sort of soothing melodious but non-hypnotic music. Or set up a set of phony surveillance cams around the perimeter.
craigb
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 17:38:20 (permalink)
soens
Try wearing a pair of noise cancelling wireless headphones playing some sort of soothing melodious but non-hypnotic music. 

That was going to be my suggestion too.  Anything "more appropriate" will probably get you arrested anyway. 

Rain
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 18:24:27 (permalink)
We've first noticed the TV thing last night. We didn't really bother as we were going back in.

There is no way I am putting on headphones to accommodate someone and yield to their absolute lack of discernment and good manners. 

I shall taunt them once and I shall taunt them a second time if I need to. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent?

Incidentally, there is such a stone wall between our respective backyards...

Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 18:43:49 (permalink)
Rain
We've first noticed the TV thing last night. We didn't really bother as we were going back in.

There is no way I am putting on headphones to accommodate someone and yield to their absolute lack of discernment and good manners. 

I shall taunt them once and I shall taunt them a second time if I need to. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent?

Incidentally, there is such a stone wall between our respective backyards...

"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction."

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
soens
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 18:59:40 (permalink)
Sorry, didn't notice the accent.

That's quite the outfit you're wearing. Are you a welder by trade?

Actually, posting a sentry at the wall fence might instill a bit of medieval fear in them. Tho it might be a bit more convincing if you gave him a lance or spear or caldron of boiling oil...

Seriously tho, I've found that talking peacefully to the neighbors about the noise usually works, tho it may take several conversations to get the point across. Retaliation only seems to worsen the matter. However, I did have to call Animal Control on one neighbor. He was as bad as his dog that he'd let loose to run around my yard mindlessly barking at everything and everyone at all hours of the day and night. Since a citation was issued I haven't seen much of either of them.
Rain
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 20:12:19 (permalink)
Outrageous accent can be heard in this quick video I did a while back to demonstrate a Logic feature I was particularly fond of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr8fN2MCMvU

I do agree that retaliation is not the best idea, not as a first option. No matter what, I pretty much always give people a chance to make up for any such things.

spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 20:44:26 (permalink)
Maybe you need some of the people showing up at the Bundy Ranch in Nevada to help you out.
People, have no respect for neighbors, some of them.

craigb
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 20:50:00 (permalink)
Accent???  Oh no...  HOW am I to take you seriously now???!  

(Actually you sound more Northern European to me than French or French Canadian.  For whatever that's worth.  )

So what's with all the makeup tutorial videos that come up on the side when I see yours?  They sure have nothing to do with any of my previous choices!  One example is "Cat Eyeliner Tutorial" (really?).

Rain
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 21:09:29 (permalink)
craigb
Accent???  Oh no...  HOW am I to take you seriously now???!  

(Actually you sound more Northern European to me than French or French Canadian.  For whatever that's worth.  )

So what's with all the makeup tutorial videos that come up on the side when I see yours?  They sure have nothing to do with any of my previous choices!  One example is "Cat Eyeliner Tutorial" (really?).

Weird, I get those too. I can't imagine anything in my entire browsing history that would be related to that.

Well, except maybe KISS videos. :P

Old55
  • Total Posts : 19791
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 21:22:00 (permalink)
Wait until they get into their subwoofer on wheels(car) and sit in the driveway listening to it.  

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
Rain
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 21:41:57 (permalink)
Old55
Wait until they get into their subwoofer on wheels(car) and sit in the driveway listening to it.  

It has happened a few times that such a car passed by but most of the folks around here seem more likely to listen to The Carpenters or Tony Bennet. Fortunately.

Old55
  • Total Posts : 19791
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/11 22:16:44 (permalink)
Rain
Old55

It has happened a few times that such a car passed by but most of the folks around here seem more likely to listen to The Carpenters or Tony Bennet. Fortunately.

That's good news.  

I'm in a ground floor apartment and the teens upstairs have a subwoofer on the floor.  They may be playing a video game or listening to some very repetitive music.  When the do it, it feels like we're part of the resonant chamber of the subwoofer.  Fortunately, they have they don't usually play it for too long.  They don't know how to walk very softly either.   

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
craigb
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 02:07:37 (permalink)
Heh, an old-fart neighbor of a house I was in down in Orange County got himself arrested when he finally snapped and chased one of those cars with a 300,000 watt sub-woofer down the road with a shotgun.  Sure, he got in trouble, but we NEVER saw that car around the neighborhood again! 

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 02:38:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2014/04/12 15:49:56
You're not using your head Rain. If it's to be war, then so be it.

Get your wife to bring her friends over for a few drinks by the BBQ. Can you help it if there's a high wire, flaming hoops and badgers on motorcycles? NOoooo.

You've got to play to your strengths, just sayin'.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
craigb
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 03:10:39 (permalink)
Hehe...  Can you imagine a few of the characters looking over the fence at the neighbors?

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 03:57:54 (permalink)
Rain

I walked outside at 10 am with my book, hoping to read a few pages before starting my day.

My heart bleeds for you...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
soens
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 06:00:44 (permalink)
Rain
I hate people.

I'm people...  ...aren't I?

Rain
Outrageous accent can be heard in this quick video I did a while back to demonstrate a Logic feature...

Nice! How did I ever miss it before?! Somehow your accent is convincing me to buy Logic now.

First, buy iMac, then Logic. .....  Buy iMac. . . .... ., ..then ... ... Logic... .. .   Buy iMa~

I HATE subliminal messaging!
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 07:33:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2014/04/12 15:49:12

Votre mère était un hamster et votre père éperlan de baies de sureau !

I had a similar problem years ago when the guy in the apartment below used to play his bass guitar along to various records so loud that I couldn't hear my own tv on full volume and if I asked him to turn it down a bit, he would actually turn it up. I found out his phone number and used to phone him at all hours of the day or night, then put the phone down when he answered. I often used to wake in the night for some reason, and had a phone next to my bed, so I always took the opportunity - seemed rude not to ! Funny thing was that I could actually hear his phone ringing and also hear him getting out of bed and going to his phone which was in his lounge, and then hear him shouting when he realised he'd been had again ! When I heard him go back in his bedroom I would ring it again. Sometimes it would take several goes before he thought to leave it off the hook !

I honestly don't think I could go back to living in a communal type property now. It's also nice to know that I can pretty much make as much noise as I like and not annoy anyone else.
post edited by paulo - 2014/04/12 14:04:56
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 11:20:20 (permalink)
A lot of modern constructions have terrible sound insulation. I remember a friend moving into the upstairs apartment of a brand new house a few years ago. We were sat in the living room right after he moved, and his downstairs neighbor came home from the supermarket. The sound insulation was so non-existent you could hear the rustling of bags in his kitchen. I live in a solid old building that once had pretty good sound insulation. Until I moved into one of the 'renovated' apartments and found that they'd removed any insulation that was once in the walls. Now I can hear conversations my neighbor is having. I don't mind hearing a mumbled "mfph mfph" from next door, but when you can actually make out the words you know it's bad. 

I'd kill to live in a fully sound insulated pad. The Armory on West 42st is one such building. Musicians flock to those apartments. And a client of mine has a place on the Lower East Side that was converted from an old school and they're the same, absolutely no sound leakage from upstairs/downstairs/next door. Places like these are wasted on non-musicians. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 15:14:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2014/04/12 15:58:33
There is seldom a time here except in winter when I cannot hear either a lawn mower, weed eater, blower, or some sort of pump motor. It is absolutely annoying. For about a year I flew a Bonnie Blue flag off my front porch hoping it would annoy my neighbors. Most thought it was a Texas flag... DOH!
Craig is right, there are passive/aggressive things you can do to annoy them back. Just don't get arrested, always make it seem incidental, though sometimes I think a "death ray" would be nice. It would be nice to be Gru for a day! You could set up some outdoor "security" lighting that shines into their windows. I'm sure that you could be louder than them if you wanted to be. You could make a habit of blowing off your yard whenever the wind is blowing their way, I'm sure that being in Nevada there must be dirt and dust around to use... and if the wind is usually in their direction you can set out some fly traps, they smell like death warmed over... or there is always Limburber cheese discreetly placed. Get a rooster. Get a bigger compressor! Get an old car from the junkyard and put it on blocks in the front yard. Put an old refrigerator out there, knock one hinge off it. Get some fake pink flamingos to decorate the yard and some old tires cut them in half (like a "C" shape), paint them white and use them to decorate too. Perhaps soon they will move if you junk things up enough, keep a cloud of dust in the air, make it stink, and use the outdoor "security" lighting.

At the end of the day it does nothing though... hopefully whatever the neighbor is doing wont take long...

Yes people are annoying. Seriously, the best thing you can do is just try to not let it bother you... just chill. Don't let it ruin your day. There is really nothing else you can do that wont hurt you more than anyone else. You don't need the stress and if you nurture it, it will grow.

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 15:42:11 (permalink)
Rain
... in a residential neighbourhood where there's a mere 10 ft between houses, you will piss off your neighbours?

My neighbors are two young kids, a daughter and a dog. So, at any given day, they start a party with some bad rap, and all you can hear is the boom boom to tell you how good the music is supposed to be!

So I caught them outside, and I was driving in and playing Hawkwind, LOUD in my car, and one of them heard it and said what's that you're playing. So I told them. And I joked that one night I was going to play it so loud from my speakers that they would not be playing boom boom loud at 3AM anymore.

I also warned them that I had plenty of hard music to keep it going all night long!

It's been rather quiet since!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Rain
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 16:19:14 (permalink)
sharke
A lot of modern constructions have terrible sound insulation. I remember a friend moving into the upstairs apartment of a brand new house a few years ago. We were sat in the living room right after he moved, and his downstairs neighbor came home from the supermarket. The sound insulation was so non-existent you could hear the rustling of bags in his kitchen. I live in a solid old building that once had pretty good sound insulation. Until I moved into one of the 'renovated' apartments and found that they'd removed any insulation that was once in the walls. Now I can hear conversations my neighbor is having. I don't mind hearing a mumbled "mfph mfph" from next door, but when you can actually make out the words you know it's bad. 

I'd kill to live in a fully sound insulated pad. The Armory on West 42st is one such building. Musicians flock to those apartments. And a client of mine has a place on the Lower East Side that was converted from an old school and they're the same, absolutely no sound leakage from upstairs/downstairs/next door. Places like these are wasted on non-musicians. 

Silver Towers on 42nd where we lived for a few months in 2011 and 2012 were pretty awesome in that regard. The only noise we'd hear came from the hallway or from the street when we were on the lower floors. I often miss NY and I'm quite sure that that suite and its location contributed to my liking of NY.

Here... The air traffic took some getting used to. Seems there's always a plane in the air somewhere over Vegas. Most of them are easily ignored but since we've moved in, a few passed low enough for the windows to vibrate. Rare but it happens. 

The folks on our little street are ok, and overall it's not that bad. Many of them seem to have a thing for little dogs, but in most case, they're responsible owners and there really isn't much to complain about. Lawnmowers aren't that much of an issue because few people have lawn to take care of. So most of the time, the noisiest thing is a leave blower that can be heard on occasion. 

So it'd be sad to have one neighbour ruin all that. 

craigb
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 16:50:53 (permalink)
As usual, I tend to have far more fun thinking up creative responses than actually taking the action to do something.

At the last nice house I owned, my neighbor and I had a long fence at the top of an embankment with a road about 20 feet below.  We found out the hard way when an 82 foot portion of a tall tree fell into my yard that the two of us owned most of the embankment (to within three feet of the road).  That meant we would also be liable if anyone got hurt on our property and, of course, lots of kids wanted to walk at the top near the fence - completely ignoring the No Trespassing signs.  My neighbor wanted to mount machine guns at the top (retired ex-military, what do you expect?) but I wanted to hide some high-powered remote speakers out there instead.  Then, when one was navigating along the fence, I could send some interesting sounds their way.  Ideas included the growl of a very large cat or bear, machine gun or chainsaw sounds, death yells or angry dog barks.  Actually, one of the funniest suggestions was to have a couple voices talking really low and saying things like "Hey, let's go for this one!" and "Do you think he'll taste like chicken?"  The picture below shows the tree that fell in the yard and my part of the fence.  It really doesn't do the height above the road justice, but imagine navigating along that fence through the trees when it's dark.  Those sounds would be really effective!  (Remember your looking at an 82 foot tall section of that tree.)

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 17:02:56 (permalink)
I'll give my neighbor a break every year or so as he relives his childhood with his cassette collection and his bong.
Usually goes till midnite or so and then it's over for a year or so. 

Now, I've got some new renters living on the other side with 3 big dogs. Thing is, their fence is about 10 feet from my house and that is where they like to relieve themselves. The smell has gotten pretty bad and I don't know what to do about it. I've voiced my objections in a non threatening friendly kind of way but, obviously they don't get the message. They'll pick it up after a few days or so which by that time the stank has diffused some only to be replaced by the new.
I don't like to rock the boat with neighbors because usually once it gets started it always seems to end up in all out war..

Any ideas?

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

craigb
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 17:09:41 (permalink)
Give them a "hint?" 

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/12 18:18:54 (permalink)
Good idea Craig..

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: I don't get it... 2014/04/13 09:20:06 (permalink)
Ropel animal repellant.
It may smell worse than the dog dung, though.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1