I feel so confused. Is it just me

Author
darrellc2002
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2006/07/21 03:54:17 (permalink)

I feel so confused. Is it just me

i recently purchased a mic from zzounds which is the MXLDRK condensor mic from Marshall Electronics. http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSEDRK , i have the mic plugged directly in to my laptop sound card, which is a conexant AMC built in sound card. When i records it sounds no better than a common walmart mic. The mic is self powered with a 9volt battery, but does take phantom power. I was thinking about purchasing an art tube pre amp http://www.zzounds.com/item--ARTTMPPS to improve the sound quality, but i would also buy a new firewire or usb sound card. What combination of equipment will help me get that professional sound i am looking for and what would you recommend.

5 Replies Related Threads

johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: I feel so confused. Is it just me 2006/07/21 06:42:15 (permalink)
    Well $25,000 later that is still a hard bunch of questions for me to answer. How many things (vocals/KBs/guitars) do you wish to record at a time? And the big question is how much is your budget. Quality really matters in DAW and you do get what you pay for...............
    Pitty
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: I feel so confused. Is it just me 2006/07/21 06:49:51 (permalink)
    I am not an expert but you may want to have a look at your soundcard first. You could have the 'best' microphone in the world but your sound card will still only do with it what it can...

Its a bit like putting the very best most expensive premium petrol in your beaten up old car, its not going to make it go any faster than it can go.

My Home DAW Set up

Commodore 64
    Cakewalk(DOS Version)
    Encore Stratocaster(only got four strings)

:P
    darrellc2002
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: I feel so confused. Is it just me 2006/07/21 13:09:49 (permalink)
    Well i am mainly going to be recording vocals only. I have tracks that i have created in music creator pro 2 that i need to record vocals for. I was not sure if a pre amp would make is sound better or a new sound card.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: I feel so confused. Is it just me 2006/07/21 13:45:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: darrellc2002

Well i am mainly going to be recording vocals only. I have tracks that i have created in music creator pro 2 that i need to record vocals for. I was not sure if a pre amp would make is sound better or a new sound card.

You can try any number of preamps later, but you need to start wth the best sound card you can afford. A card with balanced inputs will let you connect good preamps in a way that will keep noise out of the system, so that's one thing to look for.

I think the cheap sound card is what is holding you back, those things were made for playback, not for pro recording.
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/07/21 13:57:58
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: I feel so confused. Is it just me 2006/07/22 21:53:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: darrellc2002

i recently purchased a mic from zzounds which is the MXLDRK condensor mic from Marshall Electronics. http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSEDRK , i have the mic plugged directly in to my laptop sound card, which is a conexant AMC built in sound card. When i records it sounds no better than a common walmart mic. The mic is self powered with a 9volt battery, but does take phantom power. I was thinking about purchasing an art tube pre amp http://www.zzounds.com/item--ARTTMPPS to improve the sound quality, but i would also buy a new firewire or usb sound card. What combination of equipment will help me get that professional sound i am looking for and what would you recommend.

hey darrell-welcome to the forum. I have a young colleague starting out who has one of those mic's and it sounds nice. The art tube pre-amp will do you as well though it colors the sound--makes it kind of creamy warm--which is what we often look for--but it's not "real" creamy warm-kind of like adding 250k to your sound-- and you might get tired of the sound---but it is "ample". I would suggest if you the have the budget to forget the pre-amp and get a MOTU 828MKII or a Traveler. THe pre-amps are pretty good--at least as good as what you will get for only $200---If you don't have the budget then there are other options, but if you are going to be doing this for awhile that is where you should put your money.
    post edited by michael japan - 2006/07/22 22:06:16

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1