Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
2014/08/28 08:05:55 (permalink)

I got a phone call ... UPDATE: went to jam

Actually, it was a text.... simply saying "call me, we need to talk"

I was busy at the moment in some "small group therapy" sessions.....

So I texted back saying I would call back later. And I did.

It turned out that my old friend, a bass player with whom I had played in a church band situation for several years, and is in an established working band, was wanting to talk about music. Seems that the band's lead guitar player is suffering from the after effects of several strokes and is having difficulty playing guitar now. He has notified the band that he will be giving up music no later than the end of the year, but sooner if possible. The physical dexterity with riffs and picks just isn't there anymore and pain is constant.

So, in short, I was asked if I might be interested in taking the gig.  Working band, solidly booked part time for almost a year out (they play 2 main clubs within a 50 minute drive and a scattering of other places on occasions), all older gents, gigging family friendly places, playing a variety of country & rock classics.  We talked about all sorts of things for almost an hour. The band is part time, and gigs about 2 nights a month. It's more of a hobby than anything else. The band has been together with the same personnel for many years. It was also a "re-grouping" of an older group that played together as kids and teens. So these guys have long history and hopefully have worked out the drama. 

It all sounds good. I have not played in a band (not including a scattering of backyard jam sessions) in almost 24 years.  I know I can handle the playing....sure I'll need to learn a bunch of new songs and dust off the old ones because working on the studio here, I have not played covers in that length of time.

I'm not convinced that I even want to get back into a band.... part lazy, part do I want the commitment that would be required, part that would limit what my wife and I could do on weekends.  But.... on the other hand, interacting with accomplished musicians again would be cool. Playing to an audience, again, that's cool too.  We never discussed the money because I certainly would not be playing, should I take the gig, for the financial remuneration.

So.... I have agreed to go to a rehearsal/jam with them this coming Monday evening.  Have guitar/amp, will travel. 

Thoughts and comments appreciated.....and I'll keep you posted if I decide to become a "working musician" again.
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2014/09/02 08:23:02

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 08:21:55 (permalink)
"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the band chooses the guitarist  

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 08:45:35 (permalink)
what kinds of music are they playing?  modern contemporary Christian?

It may be different than the stuff you're used to playing.  just be prepared for that.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 08:55:10 (permalink)
If you are really into gigging then this might be rewarding for you.  After you learn the songs and start playing on what seems to be a very constant basis, the driving and time commitment to this group could become an issue for you since you have not been in the circuit for many years.  That is what I found out with a small group I joined playing wineries in my are.  So really think over the long term for this.  Will this make you happy in the months to come.

Best wishes.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 09:13:38 (permalink)
Good for you Herb. There seems to be a history with your mates and this might turn out to be a fun adventure/way to rekindle that fire. The good thing is it's only part time/the commitment is fairly minimum, and if it does get in the way of your personal life/plans, you can always opt out.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 09:16:19 (permalink)
I can relate, Herb, sort of. 

My Church has been nudging at me to learn all of the worship songs and get involved with the Church Worship Band.  They rotate some of the players on a regular basis.  For instance, they may have a different Bass Player each week and rotate 4 a month.  My biggest issues are some that you have mentioned.  I have not stood up there live and played for at least 25 years.  I can barely keep up with the music I am writing and recording and work I am doing with the virtual band. The big one....they don't practice.  They have been doing this for so long that they know the songs and just get up there and wing it.  The Worship Leader plays electric rhythm, probably the instrument that I am most comfortable with; and they have a steady consistant Electric Lead Player.  They rotate Bass, Acoustic Guitar and Keys weekly.  My Acoustic Guitar doesn't  have a pick up in it.  I have never played Bass live, only Studo work.  Those are probably the 2 opportunies where it would make sense for me to get involved. 

I have been wishy washy on committing because I am not really sure if I want to put in all of the time to learn all of the songs.  In the mean time, they have linked me to the Worship Bands music distribution web site and keep asking me to learn the songs.  Maybe it is just stage fright to get back up there and do it again.....I don't know.  Is there some where in the back that I could just hide out and play under the radar until I get comfortable agian? 

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Guitarhacker
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 09:28:30 (permalink)
good points....

The music is top 40 stuff from years gone past..... a partial list from their web site  http://www.tazzband.com/
              Already Gone              Best Of My Love              Boot Scootin' Boogie              Call Me The Breeze
              Don't Let The Green Grass Fool Ya'              Don't Close Your Eyes              Gimme Three Steps
              House Of The Rising Sun              I Love Beach Music              Keep Your Hands To Yourself
              Lady Soul              Long Train Runnin'              Mustang Sally              Neon Moon
              Play That Funky Music              Rainy Day Bells              Shaggin' On The Boulevard
              Some Kind of Wonderful              Takin' Care of Business              Tequila Sunrise
              This Magic Moment              Under the Boardwalk              Walk Softly On This Heart of Mine
              Wipeout              Wonderful Tonight              Words              Young Blood

There's a number of things I need to consider before I say yes or no.  One of the main things is how they dress..... I'm not into the "look alike" casual on stage..... bluejeans and a nice shirt I can deal with... blazers and tux... probably a deal killer for me.

BMI/NSAI

Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 09:29:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2014/08/28 09:39:30
Beagle

It may be different than the stuff you're used to playing.  just be prepared for that.

Working band, solidly booked part time for almost a year out (they play 2 main clubs within a 50 minute drive and a scattering of other places on occasions), all older gents, gigging family friendly places, playing a variety of country & rock classics.  

So I am thinking this is not a worship gig they are talking about.

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 10:55:07 (permalink)

The commitment part is what makes it easy for me to know that I wouldn't.

It was the main reason I quit after so many years. The desire to perform and play with other musicians became an addiction so it wasn't easy to quit but I sure haven't regretted it and glad that I realized the truth in why I wanted to stop.
Although the money was good it wasn't my main source of income so really not a deciding factor back in '85.

I jammed with others and know that I still couldn't handle the commitment so it saves myself and others an issue to deal with.
Besides all that I'm not geared to perform and just not into getting "my act" together. Less really is more for me.

I've been on leave from my day gig for almost 6 months and know that I'll be glad when I'm not committed to that anymore. It's been great not living by the clock and doing what I want, when I want.

Old55
  • Total Posts : 19791
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 10:59:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Guitarhacker 2014/08/28 11:43:46
Do you have to commit now?  How about suggesting a trial period where you and the band can decide if you want to make it permanent.  Then, if you've decided not to continue, you can fill-in until they find someone permanent. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
Guitarhacker
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 11:50:41 (permalink)
Old55
Do you have to commit now?  How about suggesting a trial period where you and the band can decide if you want to make it permanent.  Then, if you've decided not to continue, you can fill-in until they find someone permanent. 

This is actually what I'm thinking too. It would be the best of all solutions I think....  assuming that I even want the gig after I jam and talk with them.

BMI/NSAI

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 12:37:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Guitarhacker 2014/08/28 20:02:35
Two words that strike fear into the bones..

'Mustang Sally'

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
tom1
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 12:40:53 (permalink)
Do it, dude.

Of course, get the wife's permission first.   :)

Sonar Producer X2/ProTools/Cubase/Reaper
Studio Cat 32 Gig Ram
East West:
Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds/Goliath 
Kontakt Ultimate / FabFilter Bundle / EaReverb / Maag4 / Izotope Ozone 5 / Izotope RX2 / Elastique / Waves  

craigb
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 12:48:52 (permalink)

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 15:38:45 (permalink)
musicman100
Beagle

Working band, solidly booked part time for almost a year out (they play 2 main clubs within a 50 minute drive and a scattering of other places on occasions), all older gents, gigging family friendly places, playing a variety of country & rock classics.  

So I am thinking this is not a worship gig they are talking about.

yep, I missed that.  my bad.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
craigb
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 19:32:33 (permalink)
I have a friend who plays in a well-known band all around the world in front of military folk.  Once they had to play on an aircraft carrier and, yes, it was a warship gig! 

mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 20:04:00 (permalink)
If you can deal with playing covers.....

But I'll say being part of a band that you really enjoy... is getting along with the other band members.  The music comes second.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Guitarhacker
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 20:12:22 (permalink)
craigb
I have a friend who plays in a well-known band all around the world in front of military folk.  Once they had to play on an aircraft carrier and, yes, it was a warship gig! 

Did they havta play this>>>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQr7RxYec-0

BMI/NSAI

craigb
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/28 22:37:19 (permalink)
Guitarhacker
craigb

It certainly could have been worse! 

Guitarhacker
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/29 08:15:30 (permalink)
craigb
Guitarhacker
craigb

It certainly could have been worse! 

I guess they could have "keel hauled" the band if they didn't play Freebird.... right?

BMI/NSAI

craigb
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/29 08:24:56 (permalink)
Or Brown Eyed Ho...

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/29 10:09:24 (permalink)
Playing in a band can be a very good thing, or not.

Pro: nothing's better for keeping your chops up than the motivation of a live audience.
Con: it takes away your weekends that you probably now spend recording

Pro: your singing voice will strengthen, even if you're just doing backup
Con: you may need a lot of lemon tea to get you through the first few gigs

Pro: the camaraderie of a band can remind you how to be social again
Con: your bandmates are almost guaranteed to get on your nerves sometimes

Pro: even playing covers can help generate ideas for original music, even Mustang Sally
Con: playing the same songs over and over gets really, really tedious after awhile

Pro: you can use this as an excuse to gear up with a new axe or some stompboxes
Con: it could easily cost you more than you earn if you buy a new axe or need a bigger amp

Pro: it's good to get out of the house once in awhile
Con: once in awhile you'll wish that getting out meant somewhere other than a bar

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/29 13:12:37 (permalink)

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Guitarhacker
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/08/29 15:42:36 (permalink)
All valid points.

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/02 08:45:02 (permalink)
So I went to jam with the boys in the band.   Ummmmm...OK?????

.... for a group that has been together as long as they reportedly have been, there's a bunch of way too loose stuff going on. In one section of a song where there was a unique chord change progression, there were 4 different "interpretations" of it.   Seriously?  I mostly kept my mouth shut and asked the keys and such things..... but....When questioned by me on one occasion, they kinda laughed it off. Not the answer I was hoping to hear. How about maybe go back and work it up and nail it down one way or the other?  But no......

Vocal harmonies that were the vocal equivalent in some places in a song of fingernails on the chalkboard. Oh yeah, some of them were good, but others???? ... and running through a song, with obvious mistakes and saying, "that was good" when it really wasn't and then moving on to the next tune.  The set list was standard old top 40 classic and stuff that was kinda hokey but...... they said people loved the songs and I can believe them knowing from my own experiences in bands that the crowd's musical tastes are generally not as discriminating as mine. Gotta keep the paying customers happy...right?

I'm seriously thinking I will pass on this group. I hate to say that because they were a really nice bunch of guys..... laid back, got along fine, seemed to enjoy what they were doing.... I might off to fill in for a time until they can find another picker if their existing picker is interested in retiring ASAP. He's had a few strokes and some other medical issues... All that aside, I did have fun picking and jamming with them but I don't think this is something I want to get tied up with for the long term.

BMI/NSAI

spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/02 12:54:17 (permalink)
So the idyllic positive vibes went sort of out the door, replaced with the reality of the situation and some negative reality.

In other words, who really wants to spend the time to make it better?

You could record maybe though.

Guitarhacker
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/02 16:46:15 (permalink)
spacealf
...... the reality of the situation .....In other words, who really wants to spend the time to make it better?

Well I had actually considered that for a brief fleeting moment.... kinda join up and whip them into shape in some twisted sick sorta fantasy... make a tight band outta them.

BUT.....  I figured that would probably not work out too well. After all, they have been playing for a very long time..... as teens and young 20 somethings and then again as adults after raising kids..... and if they are still just slogging through songs any way possible and not really caring about how tight something is, the question becomes, would me joining and trying to work on tightening  up the music really succeed or would I be looked upon as an outsider coming in and causing strife and making demands?   My thoughts tend to go towards the latter. After all, if they are not working on song details like beginnings and endings now....what hope is there that they would easily change and start to do this on their entire set list?  Is it my job or responsibility to get them into shape musically or should they have been working on that 5 years ago? If the band was tight, then yes, I would   be willing to take the time to learn the songs the way they perform them,  but it's not.

Am I being too picky? Too strict? Expecting too much?   Perhaps,  but....going back to my own past...when I gigged for fun and profit,  when I played in a house band for 2 and a half years, we took the time to work out every thing in the songs, from start to finish and every tiny detail in between.  Nothing was left to guess work or chance.  We had the room to free style the solo's and we could al-lib in the music but the structure was set. We knew how the song would start, who played the solo's and when and how it was to end.  I got used to that level of performance. It continues now in my recording. I pay attention to details and to jump into a band that doesn't just frosts my whatever.....

I have not discussed or even mentioned money with any of the folks in the band. If I was to play again in a band it would be for the music and the camaraderie not the money.

So for that reason primarily (tightness of the band, or lack thereof), and some others of a secondary nature..... I think I will pass on joining the band at this time.

BMI/NSAI

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/02 17:11:26 (permalink)
I'm in total agreement Guitarhacker. I can't stand being part of something that is substandard. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/02 20:27:44 (permalink)
Mustang Sally can still be fun. When I have to sing it subbing in my buddies band I do it in pig Latin...plus I morph it into "I'm Big In Japan" by Tom Waits. Both the band and the audience seem to like. Why, I could not say.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/02 20:58:42 (permalink)
I don't know but I think you will regret it if you join. If they were going to ever be a tight band they would be tight by now. I think that is important to you and will bother you when they show no interest in improving, but Inagaddadavida baby...

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1