I guess I'm Ready

Author
cjlinus
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 446
2007/02/15 13:12:01 (permalink)

I guess I'm Ready

OK, I guess Im ready for people to listen to my stuff. Please feel free to comment, just don't pretend your Simon. Thanks

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=661698

When I was a kid we had to use Portastudios, uphill! both ways!!

Listen to my songs here

12 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: I guess I'm Ready 2007/02/15 13:17:49 (permalink)
    Hi Cyrus,

I liked 'Roam' - you described it as 'Seventies Rock', and it did remind me of that period, especially bands like Wishbone Ash.

I wasn't crazy about the fast panning of the lead guitar through headphones, but that's your call.

Good stuff, I'll check out more soon.

James

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: I guess I'm Ready 2007/02/15 13:27:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: cjlinus

OK, I guess Im ready for people to listen to my stuff. Please feel free to comment, just don't pretend your Simon. Thanks

Hi Cyrus! First of all: Who is Simon??
    Anyways, welcome to the forum - and congrats on your songs you made public! And 'Roam' is a great tune! I really enjoyed it. Aside of Wishbone Ash that James had mentioned, I also heard Beatles, late Beatles, that is - Sgt. Pepper era (maybe it's your voice reminding me a bit to Lennon).
    As for the mix: During the verses I hear something strange happening with the Kick - it almost sounds like there are two kicks 5ms seconds apart, or something; this could very well be an EQ setting being outta whack. Also, some of the fills are not timed right. If you get a chance, maybe revisit this song and give the drums a thorough listen. Guitars are performed beautifully. Nicely arranged and mixed well with the great vocals (and their effects).
    Overall, very good tune. I too go and listen to the other songs of yours. Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Heinz.

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: I guess I'm Ready 2007/02/15 15:03:43 (permalink)
    I like the way the tension builds after the intro, kind of a loping simmer that grows. Very nice guitar work. Good vocals, the drums and bass are right there, and it's a fine mix. What else can you ask? Good work.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    cjlinus
    RE: I guess I'm Ready 2007/02/15 15:57:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick response! The drums on Roam are an old Yamaha sequencer and I used a drum track that I had programmed several years ago. I know its a bit odd sounding at times but it did the basic drum job for me and I am hoping to find a drummer that can do a "real" drum track for me. Im a bit nervous about the guitar parts because Im just an old bass player that has to play his own leads because no one else is in the band. Anyway please keep the critique up, I want to learn how to improve.

Listen to my songs here
    Drumz
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: I guess I'm Ready 2007/02/15 18:21:18 (permalink)
    Hello Cyrus, I listened to all of your songs on Soundclick. They are all good songs with potential in my opinion. On the song Roam I felt like their was too much reverb on the vocals. You have a good voice and I feel the heavy reverb is covering it up and making it difficult to understand the lyrics. To me the drums sound a bit thin on all of the songs. My favorite song is I Wanna Be The One. Good stuff Cyrus

Sonar 8 PE, Windows 7 32 bit, Intel w/H55 chipset, Intel Core i5 3.2GHz,2x Seagate 500GB SATA,4GB DDR3/1333, Presonus FP10, Roland TD 20, Mapex Maple, Paistie, and a bunch of other noise making stuff.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: I guess I'm Ready 2007/02/15 21:23:18 (permalink)
    I just listened to roam. your vocals sound alittle like Neil Young. Theres 2 things that stood out on the vocals. #1, it was too treblely and #2 too much reverb, and it needed alittle more body in it. It sounded very hollow. Your mix could of used a little more bass in it. lucky, all these things are fixable. I enjoyed the song and it has a great potential to be a great song if you adress some of the issues.

CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: I guess I'm Ready 2007/02/16 09:45:26 (permalink)
    Hey cjlinus,
    love the tune (Roam) it's really got that 70s vibe perfectly captured but there are definitely some mix issues here and i agree with all that CJay has said apart from the reverb which i think is fitting for the 70s vibe.
    It really lacks warmth and body and if there's a bass in there then i can't hear it and it really does need to be heard to combat that hollowness that CJay mentioned.
    Cool stuff.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    cjlinus
    RE: I guess I'm Ready 2007/02/16 11:13:12 (permalink)
    Thank all for the critique! Here is the story on the vocals, I wanted a dirtier sound then I can manage with my voice so I copied the vocals to a seperate track. I ran one track to a sub with the old amp sim light that came with GT 1. I ran the other track to a sub with a short delay. This is why the vocals are thiner than the other songs, it was an attempt to get a different sound for this specific song.

The lack of bass is a mix issue that I will have to address. I went from way too much bottom to not enough. Ill work on it.

Is the bass end a problem with all the tracks? On the systems I've listened with, it seems OK. I do not have quality studio monitors or a tuned room to work in so that is part of the problem.

Listen to my songs here
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: I guess I'm Ready 2007/02/16 13:23:13 (permalink)
    cjlinus,

(on roam) It sounds like there is some clipping on the vocal track in the beginning. I don't hear it throughout so perhaps it's just at the beginning. It's a good song and has good structure. I agree that the base could come out more and the reverb could be turned down a little on the vocals. I'm listening on lo-quality PC speakers now so that's not helping much.

Good work! Thanks for sharing.

Matthew
    post edited by AsherLongley - 2007/02/16 13:44:38
    cjlinus
    RE: I guess I'm Ready 2007/02/17 10:57:48 (permalink)
    Matthew,

I really cant hear the clipping your talking about and I listened in two different cars, on a computer, in my "studio" and on a sterio with good Bose speakers. I wonder if your hearing the Amp sim I processed the vocals with? Anyway thanks for the responce.

Listen to my songs here
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    RE: I guess I'm Ready 2007/02/17 20:12:17 (permalink)
    Alot of potential here. Good tunes. I think if you got the drums and bass worked out it would help these tunes immensely. The drum samples are not convincing at all. The beats fit pretty well, just the sound isn't there. Everything seems a little bass shy. I liked "You saw me" and "Roam" the best. You have a good voice. Background vocals in "You saw me" are a tad loud. This material could benefit alot from some good mastering also. Just my 1st initial impressions. You obviously have alot of talent, and it is hard to wear all the hats... well.

Ed Edge

cjlinus
    RE: I guess I'm Ready 2007/02/20 10:36:37 (permalink)

It really lacks warmth and body and if there's a bass in there then i can't hear it and it really does need to be heard to combat that hollowness that CJay mentioned.

OK I verified with Opaque Slogan that the bass is an issue with every cut. I have just recently gotten my primary bass up and running again and will probably re-record all the bass parts. Also I have to invest in some monitors because the ones I have now are just a 2.1 set from a bookshelf sterio from Brookstone. The bass I get with them does not resemble the bass mix plaed back on any other system so.....

Anyway, once I deal with the bass side of things I will update the songs, possibly with one or two additions and and then move on to advice about instrument separation, space and depth in my mixes. I hope that others can learn as well from my experience and if you have a critique please offer possible solutions when you comment on peoples stuff. I'll try and remember to do the same.

Listen to my songs here
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1