I guess it worked...

Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
2014/09/11 02:54:58 (permalink)

I guess it worked...

Lesson learned - do not upgrade the OS on a 4 year old machine if it's your DAW.  But what's done is done, which left me with one possible solution, one I've been evaluating for a while, because, I honestly did not need the new stuff.

But I just couldn't stand the unresponsive GUI which pretty much ruined my workflow since the OS upgrade.

So tonight, I took the leap...

So far, it seems to have cured the issue I had in Logic 9 - which I can keep installed anyway, and even re-install on my next machine. But against all odds and despite the first shock when I saw those bright colours on my screen, I must admit that within minutes, my "nice-o-meter" was constantly peaking.  

I guess this should help me be patient until I upgrade my computer in December.

The sad thing is that, as I move to X, I am saying farewell to Dimension Pro and Rapture for a second time - this time, with very little hope of ever getting to work with them again. (Cakewalk: please!!! Update those gems!)

They've been a part of my palette of sounds for so long - a shame that Cakewalk sort of abandoned them... Every time I launch Alchemy, I am reminded of all the potential in Dimension and Rapture.

So, officially, I'm on my last leg as a Cakewalk user - I still have Zeta. Which is one of the very few irreplaceable 3rd party plugs I use. Even Steinberg's Retrologue and Arturia's MiniMoog may have finally found a fitting successor in Logic's new Retro Synth. Just like Waldorf's PPG...

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...

16 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/11 09:49:13 (permalink)
    Rain
    my "nice-o-meter" was constantly peaking.  

That's a keeper line for sure.

I'm going to have to use it on The Lovely Lady.
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/11 14:41:26 (permalink)
    Rain, if you move back to Canada and buy Sonar, all will be forgiven. Toronto is a nice city.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    Rain
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/11 15:37:18 (permalink)
    ampfixer
    Rain, if you move back to Canada and buy Sonar, all will be forgiven. Toronto is a nice city.

Looks like I am not too likely to be forgiven, then... :P

Actually, when we talked about it, we seemed to agree that B.C. would probably be the best option if we had to go back to Canada. Personally, I think almost anything would be better than Quebec. 

But getting the green card is still the best scenario...

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/11 15:39:16 (permalink)
    Hi Rain ,
    what did you do exactly ?
    did you upgrade your OS to Mavericks and then decide to upgrade to Logic X ?

that's what I'm guessing from your opening post …..

I'm sticking w OSX 10.7.5 and Logic 9 on my Mac….it runs great as it is now.
    our situations may be different , my Mac is a few years older than yours and at its current spec it may be a little anemic to make that leap ...

good luck ….as far as I'm concerned , we are still gonna be brothers bound by the power of the ESX 24 ….

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Rain
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/11 16:11:14 (permalink)
    kennywtelejazz
    Hi Rain ,

our situations may be different , my Mac is a few years older than yours and at its current spec it may be a little anemic to make that leap ...

good luck ….as far as I'm concerned , we are still gonna be brothers bound by the power of the ESX 24 ….

Kenny

Yes we'll be. :)

I upgraded form my original 10.6.x (Snow Leopard) to Mountain Lion, which broke a few things for me, then to Mavericks hoping that it'd fix those things but only made them worst. 

The reason I upgraded my OS was mainly that I had plug-ins upgrades available, for which Snow Leopard wasn't supported. 

Prior to that, I'd never had issues with Logic, except when using POD Farm. But now it was lagging like I've never seen.

If not for that, I doubt I'd have upgraded anytime soon. In fact, I was planning on having my next machine run Snow Leopard just to keep on using Logic 9.

But as long as I was stuck on Mavericks, I thought I'd try Logic X to see whether it ran any better under Mavericks, and so far, it really seems to. 

Rain
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/11 16:42:11 (permalink)
    By the way, I think Apple is on to something with their Drummer. At one point I had sort of a flashback of how working with an actual drummer used to be.

You know, you play the song idea or the riff for your drummer, tell him what kind of beat you have in mind and when he gets it, you can tell him - louder or softer, or double the hi-hat, or play sparingly or add more fills...

Essentially, that's how Drummer works - once you've found a groove you like, instead of browsing through variations, you tell Drummer how you'd like to modify it.

Of course, in this early incarnation, it has its shortcomings - I dont think you can be that specific in terms of where you want that fill exactly. But it is promising and for me, as a guitar player, it's a whole lot closer to the way I work with actual drummers - I don't write their part for them, I expect them to work around what I have in mind based on a certain sert of parameters.

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/11 16:43:11 (permalink)
    Look at the bright side, at least you can get a copy of U2's latest album for free. 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/11 18:53:50 (permalink)
    Rain
    kennywtelejazz
    Hi Rain ,

Kenny

Yes we'll be. :)

I upgraded form my original 10.6.x (Snow Leopard) to Mountain Lion, which broke a few things for me, then to Mavericks hoping that it'd fix those things but only made them worst. 

The reason I upgraded my OS was mainly that I had plug-ins upgrades available, for which Snow Leopard wasn't supported. 

Prior to that, I'd never had issues with Logic, except when using POD Farm. But now it was lagging like I've never seen.

If not for that, I doubt I'd have upgraded anytime soon. In fact, I was planning on having my next machine run Snow Leopard just to keep on using Logic 9.

But as long as I was stuck on Mavericks, I thought I'd try Logic X to see whether it ran any better under Mavericks, and so far, it really seems to. 

Hi Rain , 
    Oh,  I got it …I thought it may of been something along those lines ...
    I'm not able to run the Cakewalk synths Dimension Pro or Rapture on my OSX machine …
    I do miss them over here ……..thankfully the Z3TA+ 2 installed fine and runs great ...
    X3 came with a version of Melodyne and Addictive Drums . I wound up picking up Addictive Keys on my own XLN   gave me a free copy of Nectar Elements as a perk ….
    all those apps weren't tied into just X3 or just Windows so I wound up porting them over to my Mac as my secondary machine / license…..  
    that has certainly helped ease the pain of losing the Dim Pro and Rapture in the OSX envirionment  
    it actually brought a lot of cool stuff over to my Mac 

thats pretty cool that you now have Logic X , it's nice that your machine seems able to run it . 
    that will give you a good chance to get a decent head start on learning how to use what's different in Logic X ... 

in your case I think that you already have a lot of safety nets ...

Logic X is an app , correct me if I'm wrong ….
    as an app , Logic X  is tied to your app store acct and the liscensing there is a lot more liberal than what I have with the boxed set version of Logic 9 Pro …i think I get 2 installs before they start to give me $hit .. 
    with the app store I think your license is tied to your acct and you are allowed multiple installs / reinstalls ?
    plus you have the time machine back up as an option …yes ? no ?

something to consider is what Craig  Anderton talks about in some of his online articles and posts ...

Craig has mentioned a few times on the board that he has back up hard drives that he swaps out ..as a fail safe measure , or when he needs to revert back to a different operating system and an older version of a DAW software application ….
    that may be something that you can consider …
    in that type of scenario I think you may be able to run your older more stable OS for your Logic 9 on a seperate HD and keep what you love about that OS and be able to run your Cakewalk synths Dim Pro and Rapture  …
    then use a separate HD with Mavericks and run Logic X ….

taking it in a different direction ,  it might even be possible to partition your HD or a new bigger one to where you may want be able to run both OS's and have them both live together in peace ….  

honestly Rain , I'm not a computer guy …yet some of the above mentioned suggestions may be worth investigating ...
    if you happen to run into unforseen problems  or if you just miss things the way they were 

BTW...this link may or not be applicable to your situation , if not it may lead to one that may

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13871

anyways here's a short summary of what happened to me in windows 

I spent the greater part of this year wrestling w my new W 8 lap top , software and brand new sound card .
    it was a last ditch effort on my part when I finally asked for help and got it upstairs in the X forum ….
    I bring that up since I do understand  how it feels to go and do what appears to be a logical upgrade all across the board and then have a multitude of unforeseen issues become absolute show stoppers ….. 
    I didn't think I would ever see the day when my new set up run correctly …
    thank fully that day did come and people helped me get there ..i would not of been able to do it on my own ….

nice rapping w you …good luck 

Kenny
    post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2014/09/11 19:01:28

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Rain
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/11 21:32:54 (permalink)
    kennywtelejazz
    Logic X is an app , correct me if I'm wrong ….
    as an app , Logic X  is tied to your app store acct and the liscensing there is a lot more liberal than what I have with the boxed set version of Logic 9 Pro …i think I get 2 installs before they start to give me $hit .. 
    with the app store I think your license is tied to your acct and you are allowed multiple installs / reinstalls ?
    plus you have the time machine back up as an option …yes ? no ?

Yep. Everything you buy from the app store is available is tied to your account, so if you have 2 or 3 computers, you have the option of installing your apps on all of those.

Time Machine can also be used to restore back ups, yes. Technically, I could probably retrieve my Logic, preferences, presets and all using Time Machine when I hook up my external HD to my new Mac. Though installing Logic through the app store is dead simple and settings, templates, presets and all of that can be moved and accessed on any of your computers via Mobile Me or shared on your network directly from within Logic. 

kennywtelejazz
    something to consider is what Craig  Anderton talks about in some of his online articles and posts ...

Craig has mentioned a few times on the board that he has back up hard drives that he swaps out ..as a fail safe measure , or when he needs to revert back to a different operating system and an older version of a DAW software application ….
    that may be something that you can consider …
    in that type of scenario I think you may be able to run your older more stable OS for your Logic 9 on a seperate HD and keep what you love about that OS and be able to run your Cakewalk synths Dim Pro and Rapture  …
    then use a separate HD with Mavericks and run Logic X ….

taking it in a different direction ,  it might even be possible to partition your HD or a new bigger one to where you may want be able to run both OS's and have them both live together in peace ….  

That would be an interesting option indeed! Hadn't thought of that! That being said, the more time I spend in X, the less I feel like going back. As a matter of fact, against all my expectations, I'll most likely start working in X directly tomorrow.

kennywtelejazz
    honestly Rain , I'm not a computer guy …yet some of the above mentioned suggestions may be worth investigating ...
    if you happen to run into unforseen problems  or if you just miss things the way they were 

BTW...this link may or not be applicable to your situation , if not it may lead to one that may

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13871

anyways here's a short summary of what happened to me in windows 

I spent the greater part of this year wrestling w my new W 8 lap top , software and brand new sound card .
    it was a last ditch effort on my part when I finally asked for help and got it upstairs in the X forum ….
    I bring that up since I do understand  how it feels to go and do what appears to be a logical upgrade all across the board and then have a multitude of unforeseen issues become absolute show stoppers ….. 
    I didn't think I would ever see the day when my new set up run correctly …
    thank fully that day did come and people helped me get there ..i would not of been able to do it on my own ….

nice rapping w you …good luck 

Kenny

Glad that you managed to get the Windows DAW back in working order. So far, I seem to have been lucky with the upgrade. Lost a few plug-ins, but gain quite a few interesting options - and I intended to slim down my 3rd party plugs, so, the way I see it, plug-ins that won't work on the spot (such as the Eventide channel strip) are simply discarded. I don't need them, anyway.

Always nice talking with you Kenny.

webbs hill studio
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/11 22:37:43 (permalink)
    oops-thought I was in the wrong forum for a moment
    I appreciate the plugin problems but the thing I don`t understand is how they got from Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard to Maverick?
    I can think of heaps of felines before I would resort to a cow-so much for Apple`s continuity!
    sorry to interrupt............................
    cheers...............
    Rain
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/11 23:45:26 (permalink)
    webbs hill studio
    oops-thought I was in the wrong forum for a moment
    I appreciate the plugin problems but the thing I don`t understand is how they got from Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard to Maverick?
    I can think of heaps of felines before I would resort to a cow-so much for Apple`s continuity!
    sorry to interrupt............................
    cheers...............

They started all the way back w/ Cheetah actually... Mountain Lion was stretching it a bit. :P

Latest would be Yosemite but I'm not anxious to re-upgrade.

craigb
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/11 23:49:57 (permalink)

Apple's next OS?

webbs hill studio
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/12 00:52:31 (permalink)
    craigb

Apple's next OS?

phew-for a moment I thought you were going to give that cat a name-as it`s either bald or shaved I will refrain from stating the obvious...................... 
    craigb
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/12 01:17:31 (permalink)
    webbs hill studio
    craigb

Apple's next OS?

phew-for a moment I thought you were going to give that cat a name-as it`s either bald or shaved I will refrain from stating the obvious...................... 

Worse.  It's actually bred to look like that.

sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/12 02:17:33 (permalink)
    I am too polite to say what that cat reminds me of.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    craigb
    Re: I guess it worked... 2014/09/12 03:08:18 (permalink)
    sharke
    I am too polite to say what that cat reminds me of.

Well, it reminded me of Apple - so there! 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1