I have Garritan Instruments For Finale; can I use them w/Sonar 7?

Author
anvanho
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
2013/03/12 11:23:53 (permalink)

I have Garritan Instruments For Finale; can I use them w/Sonar 7?

Apologies if I'm unnecessarily clogging the forum with something obvious .. but I've been snooping around, and can't find out yet ..

but anyhow: I'm running Sonar 7.0 on a Windows 7 computer.

I recently bought the whole Finale 2012 deal; which comes with the fabulous "Garritan Instruments For Finale" package (along with the Aria Player).

Got it all configured; works/sounds great!

Wondering if (and how) I am would able to incorporate G.I.F.F. into S7 if that's even do-able. ....anyone know?

I see some posts that you actually need a different [slightly higher?] Sonar version?

hey, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Michael

post edited by anvanho - 2013/03/12 11:25:04

10 Replies Related Threads

Stipes Vigilo
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re:I have Garritan Instruments For Finale; can I use them w/Sonar 7? 2013/03/12 14:29:34 (permalink)
    I'm not an expert of any sort on these matters, but it should be doable.
    I know the Aria Player works in Sonar (at least in my X2 pro).
    It should be as simple as adding the path in your VST/VSTi for Sonar to scan.

If that doesn't do it, you should be able to even copy the AP and its library
    into the Sonar VST/VSTi folders. That's easy enough to try though.

X3d Producer x64 - Win7 Professional - (2)Xeon 2.9/52GB - MOTU 24I/O

anvanho
    Re:I have Garritan Instruments For Finale; can I use them w/Sonar 7? 2013/03/12 20:15:38 (permalink)
    Thanks much for that. Any tips on how/where to add path(s) for Sonar to scan to "see" my Garritan sounds? I searched all through Sonar documentation, cannot find any instructions. Thanks!
    Jeff M.
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:I have Garritan Instruments For Finale; can I use them w/Sonar 7? 2013/03/12 20:24:23 (permalink)
    Utilities, Plug In Manager, Click Options under VST Configuration.
    Add the path to where the G.I.F.F. .dll is.

Platinum 64
    RME UCX | Studio Cat Platinum: i7 2700k @ 4.5Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 | Win 7 64
    Komplete Kontrol S61
    Gibson, Jackson, Parker, Suhr, Breedlove, Taylor, Lakland, Peavey, Marshall, Kemper
    anvanho
    Re:I have Garritan Instruments For Finale; can I use them w/Sonar 7? 2013/03/12 22:14:17 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeff, well, I didn't find any G.I.F.F. .dll but there are the (2) ARIA Instruments dll files; added their paths as directed into the Option Path box. But I still only can get Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth in Midi Devices or Instruments. ... hmm, ... any other step I am missing? Thanks so much, Michael
    anvanho
    Re:I have Garritan Instruments For Finale; can I use them w/Sonar 7? 2013/03/12 22:31:43 (permalink)
    Oh okay ... I think I got it ... well I can now see how to assign GIFF sounds to [only] empty tracks but have not learned how to apply an assigned instrument of choice to an already recorded midi track ... not an impossibe work-around at this point ... just select empty tracks; assign instruments; then copy/paste the data from the track you want reassigned ... odd, I'  sure ther must be a more intuitive way .. still searching.
    anvanho
    Re:I have Garritan Instruments For Finale; can I use them w/Sonar 7? 2013/03/13 02:33:00 (permalink)
    Well, after a mighty gallant effort, the "scuttlebutt" I'm picking up is that Garritan Instruments For Finale is not really do-able in my Sonar 7.0 I need to get Sonar X2 (or X1 but I think that's no longer around ...?) Didn't want to start a new thread over in that sub forum, so thought I would quick ask here: (since I could not totally confirm this yet) but is G.I.F.F. truly able to be employed with Sonar X2, does anyone know? If so, I'll just spring for that. Thanks everyone, for any advice! appreciate your valuable time! Thanks, Michael
    wr
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re:I have Garritan Instruments For Finale; can I use them w/Sonar 7? 2013/03/14 06:19:39 (permalink)
    Your question got me curious, so I did a quick and dirty little test of GIFF using the Aria Player, played a few MIDI notes through a couple of sounds, and yes, it worked.  I am using Finale 2010, and Sonar X2 x64 on a Win 7 x64 machine.  There are actually several choices of Aria player that show up in the list, and I am not sure what the differences are between them - I only tried one.

So, thanks for asking - now I have even more things to play with!!
    anvanho
    Re:I have Garritan Instruments For Finale; can I use them w/Sonar 7? 2013/03/21 00:01:14 (permalink)
    I have tried for days now, I have found no very helpful step-by-step guide to correctly assign Garritan Sounds into my Sonar 7.0 tracks. I do find some references to doing it with Sonar X* but not with Sonar 7.0 .. so the steps described do not coincide exactly with menu choices I am finding with the program. Can someone please recommend a link; forum post; tutorial; etc, that can help me work this out? I can get sounds through my ARIA Player fine by itself; but how do I assign THOSE sounds to SONAR tracks I have? Thanks!!! Would be greatly appreciated!
    MrMook
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 589
    Re:I have Garritan Instruments For Finale; can I use them w/Sonar 7? 2013/03/23 11:50:07 (permalink)
    Have you tried asking here?

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/39-Garritan-Libraries

They're really helpful people. Randy does post here and he knows both Sonar and Garritan.

Dave- 

SONAR Platinum

Intel i7 4790 360 GHz , 32 GB RAM, SR-22, UA-25EX, Win 7 x64, Too many Vsts and Effects.
    Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re:I have Garritan Instruments For Finale; can I use them w/Sonar 7? 2013/03/25 17:26:05 (permalink)
    anvanho

I have tried for days now, I have found no very helpful step-by-step guide to correctly assign Garritan Sounds into my Sonar 7.0 tracks. I do find some references to doing it with Sonar X* but not with Sonar 7.0 .. so the steps described do not coincide exactly with menu choices I am finding with the program. Can someone please recommend a link; forum post; tutorial; etc, that can help me work this out? I can get sounds through my ARIA Player fine by itself; but how do I assign THOSE sounds to SONAR tracks I have? Thanks!!! Would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have Finale, but I bought Garrian Personal Orchestra a few years ago, which comes with the Aria player. It works great here (X2, but I've previously used it in X1 and 8.5.3) and assuming it's not crippled, it should work.
    I took the brute force/easy way to get it to work. In your Program Files directory (or Program Files x86 if you are windows 32 bit), under Garritan, under Aria Player, Under VST, find the .dll files for the Aria Player - "Aria Player Multi VST _x64.dll" and "....x86.dll" are respectively the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of the Multi-voice/output player. "Aria Player VST _x64.dll" and "....x86.dll" are the single output versions. I just copied the 64 bit versions to my 64 bit plugin folder, and did the same for the 32 bit versions (to my 32 bit plug folder). Don't forget to rescan your plugs in the plugin manager in SONAR.

It may be more correct to just add the program files (or program files x86)/Garritan/Aria Player/VST directory to the plugin manager in SONAR so as not to have 2 versions of the same plug on your system. Whatever works for you. 

Once it is set up it will appear in SONAR under a Garritan heading as "Aria Player....". Just insert it as you would any other VSTi. I would start with the Single output version to test it out and for simplicity. Pick the first (empty) slot - and click. You should get a menu, which in my case points to "GPO" - at the bottom, which in turn let's me select whatever sound I want to insert. If you can get that far, you should be all set.

Hope this helps and hope you are able to get it working.

post edited by Brando - 2013/03/25 17:30:44

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1