I have a new computer and a couple of questions.

Author
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
2011/01/20 11:35:02 (permalink)

I have a new computer and a couple of questions.

Hi,
I just got a new latop. It is an HP DM-4 1165 dx, it is an i5 M 450 @ 2.4 with 4G of RAM, I can instal up to 8G and probably will. It als has a 500G 7500 RPM HD, which is why I chose it over a similar i5 which had a slightly faster M  processor.  
it is running Windows 7 Premium 64bit. This laptop runs multimedia much faster than any computer I have had but it has all this extra HP stuff running someof which I find to be useful so I a not sure I want to get rid of it all.
I am thinking of making it a dual boot machine but I am not sure if I can do that on the interna HD, I suppose I could get someone to do it BUT it also has a SATA port. So I am thinking about getting a good fast SATA drive and putting a bare bones Windows 7 OS on it along with Sonar and whatever other music apps I need or want. So far the stuff I have done has not included a lot of tracks or FX but that may change. I am also considering trying to use a HDMI and wireless muse/keyboard to hook up to my TV, it is 1080p and 54"... it should solve any screen size problem... but I don't know.

I have always been a little bit digitally challenged and always seemed to not have the computing power to make things work easily enough so that the frustration factor did not overcome the creative factor... and this keyboard is ticking me off, I keep missing letters... don't know why.... but anyway.

Do you have any input, ideas, warnings, or just general oinions of what I should do or try... or not do? I thin if I could temporarly disable some things rom running I might be fine just with what I have but I am not sure. With XP, I pretty much knew how to go to services and what to disable so nothing would start running or try to notify me in the mddle of something. The one thing I have not had much success disabling was MaCafee.. although I now have Norton and it may not be a probem... I have not tried any computer recording in a while.

So do you think I would do better adding an external SATA with a dual boot or just trying to use what I have. I have disabled "sounds" on the machine, though some stil seem to be wrking... (alerts) especiay this fingerprint reader which the palm of my hand occasionally slides over and itthinks I might want to add a fingerprint... I have disabled it temporarily, so it shouldn't be a probem.

I also have an upgrade question. I will add another post about but quicky here it is: I now have Sonar 7 PE... is my best upgrade to X1 or should I be looking at 8.5 or what... been out of the loop but maybe I have enough computing power to do some simple stuff now... I went and read some and decided I didn't need to make another post. It looks like X1 is the way to go.

Thank you.. (I hope I didn't miss any keys... new keyboard)

Julien

post edited by jbow - 2011/01/20 12:01:54

2 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:I have a new computer and a couple of questions. 2011/01/21 08:22:25 (permalink)
    julien, congrats on the new lappy.

My understanding is that the newer versions of Sonar run quite well on  W7. So unless there is a need to run another OS, the dual boot is not necessary.

I ran my DAW for over 2 years on a stock Dell lappy and it worked quite well. First, I assume you are not planning to use the factory sound card with Sonar. Get a nice USB soundcard if you haven't got one already. I never bothered to shut off services in the lappy. I was actually able to use my DAW soundcard and the factory card at the same time. Pretty handy at times.

As far as what DAW to upgrade to.... that depends on your needs.  I use the so-called "beginner DAW" MC4 and find that it does everything that I need... for $40 spent 3 years ago. I just built a desktop i5-750 and I installed all the old software on it... running XP, and it continues to serve the purpose quite well. My old interface also moved without issue to the new machine.

AV software can be a real pain, but if you are online, it is needed. My new DAW is off line and has nothing "extra" in it, including AV. I scan any incoming files from my USB drive before inputting it to the DAW.... it only takes a few seconds.

Anyway... have fun on the new lappy.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re:I have a new computer and a couple of questions. 2011/01/21 19:35:27 (permalink)
    Thanks or the reply,

I have a Toneport UX-2 and a Tascam US-122 for interfacing and sound. I also have a ZOOM R-16 to play around with as a controller...
    I'll go ahead and give it a try and see how it does. 

Forgot to mention, I have a protable keyboard controller too... I think i'll be ok now that I have enough computer to run without glitches all the time. I went ahead and upgraded to X1 and am going to upgrade from 4G of RAM to 8G... just in case, laff.
    Thanks again...

Julien

Now if I could get this darn keyboard to work right i'd be happy.. seems like every sentence I type there is a letter left out f a word.
    Sometimes it is hard being an analg man in a digital world.

post edited by jbow - 2011/01/21 20:19:18
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1