Helpful ReplyI hope I can ask this here

Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2014/07/02 23:03:02 (permalink)

I hope I can ask this here

To you guys ever play/practice one instrument SO much that you actually tire yourself of it? Maybe just listen TOO much to music in general where it starts to bore you? What do you guys do to overcome this or avoid it?

Honestly the method I've found which works best is to DO something else- find another activity that captivates me just enough that I can go do it for maybe a week, or do/listen to a genre that is just so wildly different that it distracts my mind momentarily. But are there more methods?

(also sorry if this isn't the best place for this thread)

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: I hope I can ask this here 2014/07/03 02:09:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mitch_I 2014/07/03 09:33:20
Being able to pace yourself is a skill that's definitely worth learning. Some people pick it up from an early age. At the age of 41 I feel like I'm just beginning to get the hang of it now. Back when I was in my late teens/early 20's I had a pretty obsessive personality in that I would become fixated on one thing and concentrate on it to the exclusion of almost everything else. As an example, I got so obsessed with the Frank Zappa album "Make A Jazz Noise Here" when I was 19 that I don't think I listened to anything else for a year. I wore two tapes out and eventually bought it on CD as well. It got so I could play back the whole double album in my head like a tape recorder. But what happens is one day you wake up and bam, you can't do it any more. Burnout!

I did the same a few years ago with playing classical guitar. Taught myself to read music, taught myself classical technique and practiced for 6+ hours a day to the point where I was reading and playing Bach suites up to speed within less than a year. And all I listened to was classical guitar music. For that period of time it just didn't occur to me that there were other types of music. But the same thing happened, I just got burned out with it and woke up one morning and decided to move on to something else (which basically entailed shifting the guitar from the left leg back to the right leg, cutting my fingernails and picking up a plectrum again). 

I've done it with learning other things as well. I decided I wanted to learn to program a few years ago and carried a huge manual of C programming around with me everywhere. I taught myself over the course of a few weeks by reading snippets on the subway, in deli lines, waiting for the bus, everywhere I had a spare moment. Then I'd go home and practice what I'd learned and spend the evening browsing C related articles and forums etc. Wrote a little app for my business. Really thought I was onto something and that maybe programming could become a career. Same thing - bam, not interested any more, burned out, moved onto something else. 

So this music production thing - DAW's, synths, plugins, recording, mixing - I really want to stick at it. To that end, I've come to appreciate the fact that my brain works better when I give it smaller portions of a wider variety of material. So I started a https://chains.cc/ account and set up a few chains that I have to contribute to every day - read a manual, watch a tutorial video, read a "normal" book, do certain exercises, play guitar, that sort of thing. The aim is to keep up a wide variety of habits and hobbies, even if it's just a little every day, so that I don't burn myself out with one thing. And it works. I find that I learn and retain information much better when I do it in snippets and take regular breaks to work on something else. I really wish I'd been hip to this in my 20's. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: I hope I can ask this here 2014/07/03 11:22:18 (permalink)
Absolutely. About once a month reach a point where I don't want to hear music or do anything musical, and everything I listen to irritates me. That can sometimes last an entire day.

One such period lasted three years, during which time I sold all my gear and threw myself entirely into my day job. I didn't even want to listen to music on the radio. A friend saved me when he asked me to play a weekend gig with him. That was 25 years ago.

I deal with it by taking a day off from music - there are always pending household chores that have been neglected because of my musical obsession. Physical activity does it for me. Mowing the lawn, gardening, exercise - anything non-intellectual. Of course, that little soundtrack that plays constantly in my head never completely stops, but it does get turned down.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: I hope I can ask this here 2014/07/03 12:40:47 (permalink)
I go back and forth...I think you can get tired of almost anything if you do too much of it.  The weekly chores are always there to do...and I have a day job,plus I lead music elsewhere.. so I have built in extended distractions every week. After a day or two I actually get irritable if I CAN'T go back into the studio. If I stay away too long I loose the flow and need to get back into it again...
On playing instruments- I never stay at  it for too long.Maybe a few hours at a pop..once you know the basics there's no need to hurry to build on what you know. It's supposed to be enjoyable, not some kind of a marathon...at least, that's how I see it. 

For me, there's a point at which I can tell there's diminishing returns...I know I'm not doing my best and I need to take a break. I think your body/mind tell you that it's time to take a break. If you push it, you're not really getting any better at what you do. 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: I hope I can ask this here 2014/07/03 14:34:59 (permalink)
I have never been sick of listening to music or working with recordings,  as long as there is something new to work with, that is.  There was once a period as a musician where I had to play Beethoven's 5th symphony for about 15 months straight.  Damned sick of that piece by the end.  Others couldn't understand why I would be sick of a "timeless masterwork."

That is one reason I could never be a musician on Broadway.  The same music every night for possibly years at a time. Then again, that is why I would never want to work in a factory or other mundane job where you would have to do the same thing day in and day out for your entire life.  

So I guess, no, I have not tired of music or playing an instrument.  I have only tired of playing the same music on that instrument past its tolerance point.

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
rebel007
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 926
Re: I hope I can ask this here 2014/07/03 16:54:05 (permalink)
I spent the early years of my 20's in a boring day job, but every night I would come home and practice the piano/keyboard til the wee small hours. Every weekend I gigged with either a small jazz combo or played bass in a R & B big band. I did this for over three years, I had no television, just sheet music and a small stereo at home that I could jam along to if I wanted.
I've found that I know a lot of tunes now, and my technique improved no end during that time, so I don't need to practice quite so much. I don't think I could put that kind of effort in again unless there was some super payoff/reward at the end.
I've met, spoken to, and played with, many musicians over the last "cough" 40 odd years, and I find most every one of them has a time in there life where they've spent long periods of time honing their craft. But I think once a certain proficiency point is reached there comes a stage where you either keep on with a regime that takes you into the mega talented/star bracket, or you settle down to more relaxed attitude to your craft and edge along more slowly where you practice what you need then spend time doing the other enjoyable things in life.
Burn out is a real symptom and those that need to keep practicing to acquire greater skill sets have a balanced regime where they force themselves away from their instrument so they don't become stale.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: I hope I can ask this here 2014/07/03 21:34:58 (permalink)
rumleymusic
I have never been sick of listening to music or working with recordings,  as long as there is something new to work with, that is.  There was once a period as a musician where I had to play Beethoven's 5th symphony for about 15 months straight.  Damned sick of that piece by the end.  Others couldn't understand why I would be sick of a "timeless masterwork."

That is one reason I could never be a musician on Broadway.  The same music every night for possibly years at a time. Then again, that is why I would never want to work in a factory or other mundane job where you would have to do the same thing day in and day out for your entire life.  

So I guess, no, I have not tired of music or playing an instrument.  I have only tired of playing the same music on that instrument past its tolerance point.

I'm amazed at how some performers can go through the same routine every night and keep it fresh. A friend of mine is a pretty well known TV actress who had a big part in a long running Broadway smash hit for over a year. She got me a ticket to go see it and I was completely blown away by everything, and thoroughly amazed at how professional and talented she was on stage. But it was almost 3 hours long - watching something for that long is a big deal for me. And then it hit me toward the end: she does this 4 nights a week and has done for a year. In terms of work that's not such a big deal, people work longer hours doing more repetitive things. But they're not giving it their "all" in the same way these performers do. What happens when you're having a bad day? I can imagine them walking around backstage with a face like thunder, and then as soon as they walk onto that stage it's "TA-RA!" and everything's full-on for 3 hours. What a gig. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: I hope I can ask this here 2014/07/04 08:44:44 (permalink)
Yes, I am burned out on writing right now. I have taken a small break. I just focus on other hobbies that I also have interest in and wait for the inspiration to come back. It never seems to last for great lengths before something comes along to jump start me again.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
The Band19
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2795
Re: I hope I can ask this here 2014/07/04 22:16:00 (permalink)
Play different instruments. Stive to be multi-instrumental. I personally put the "multi-instru" in multi-instrumental...

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
cpkoch
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 345
Re: I hope I can ask this here 2014/07/10 15:00:52 (permalink)
Find somebody that will  tell you and give you the feeling like there is no other musician in the world as good as you are.  

Sonar Platinum, HP Z210 Desktop PC,  Windows 10  64 Bit, 12  GB RAM,  Steinberg UR22 Interface Unit,  M-Audio Keyboard Studio USB MIDI Keyboard, APEX-TK -Condenser Unidirectional MIC, Audio Technica AT2020 USB MIC

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: I hope I can ask this here 2014/07/10 20:47:00 (permalink)
Robby, I stive to speel correktlee.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1