Helpful ReplyI just got a turntable...

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/08 16:21:09 (permalink)
Debt and divorce should be included there.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/08 16:23:17 (permalink)
Good point.  I got divorced.  No debt, but a massive drain on my savings.  

Now if I could only find chicks to impress with my stereo.  It used to work in the 70s.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/25 18:12:37 (permalink)
paulo
Covered in dust and forgotten about within 3 months - calling it now ! 

Just wanted to say I've upgraded my cartridge/stylus and still buying lots of vinyl...  

LOVING IT! :)
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/27 19:41:42 (permalink)
smallstonefan
Just wanted to say I've upgraded my cartridge/stylus and still buying lots of vinyl...  

If you get a chance, try to listen to something like a Tangerine Dream, or Klaus Schulze in those turntables ... they are incredible and sound even better than most CD's, although I think that the margin of difference is getting so thin these days ... 

I'm in the process of getting rid of most of my LP's, of which I still have over 1K of them, mostly imports and foreign stuff that is hard to get and not available. If I can find the CD for it, the LP is gone. All in all, they were lovely, but the weight has been very tough on me, without a house that I own and such. And moving those things is hard, and the poor LP's ended up getting some smudges and all that.

Btw, get the plastic sleeves for all LP's ... you can buy those sleeves by the hundred's and they are great at preventing the cardboard from getting moisture and then drying out and in time, getting brown as if they were dirty. The plastic helps keep moisture out of the albums as well.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
smallstonefan
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/27 20:02:56 (permalink)
Thanks for the suggestion! I just ordered Rubycon. I've heard of, but never heard this band.

Looking forward to it! :)
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/27 22:13:09 (permalink)
FYI - Rubycon will be VERY different than some of their other material that came later.  Lots of really good synth music to do acid to!  Phaedra is simliar.

My favorites are Melrose, Exit, Lily on the Beach, Goblin's Club, Optical Race, Rockoon and, probably, a few dozen others.  The Dream Mixes are very cool too.  There's "only" about 180 albums to choose from so, over 40 years worth of variety to choose from.  Heh...

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/27 22:51:14 (permalink)
smallstonefan

I can remember getting into high end pickup cartridges. It is also the headshell and the tone arm too. An incredible combination was SME tome arm plus their headshell fitted with a Shure V15 Type III cartridge.  An SME arm will move when balanced from a puff of your air across the room.  I feel it does not come much better than this.  The elliptical stylus shape is also something too.  This is one of the finest cartridge designs ever made.  My Hi Fi friends were also into the Ortofon SL15Q which was a moving coil design. It had a very low output and needed a transformer (or active preamp) to get it a normal moving magnet level. It sounded amazing too.  A tad on the bright side but stunning none the less.  V15 is super smooth over the whole spectrum.  Can track at around 1.3 grams as well. DarkSide sounds sensational when playing back on the V15. 

All of these pickups were fed into quality RIAA equalisers and they do make a difference. Perfectly accurate curves being applied.  Super low noise with high variable output.  Transient response noticeable. Decent power supplies feeding the circuits. High headroom. We often bypassed any tone control and went direct form the RIAA preamp to our class A valve power amplifiers.

Some amazing vinyl to hear is the Sheffield Lab direct from studio to cutting lathe series that was done in the 70's and after. Dave Grusin's Discovered Again (1976) has to be heard to be believed. (Harvey Mason, Dave Grusin, Ron Carter, Lee Ritenour, Larry Bunker)  Without all the tape in between the end result is so transient and punchy it is scary how good the vinyl groove can sound. The noise floor is also incredible too.  Especially with the V15 as well. It has a fine transient response.  The transient edges are fast and clear. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
smallstonefan
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/28 13:30:14 (permalink)
Thanks Craig - I just did a google search and checked Amazon ratings to choose - I should have asked here first! :)

I'll check this out when I get it and perhaps order another from your list...

Jeff - I'm not familiar with those artists but I will look into them! I also wish I knew the quality of the RIAA equalizer in my turntable - and that's assuming it has one!
craigb
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/28 20:37:15 (permalink)
Remember, you can always check out the albums on YouBoob first!

The first few notes of this album are awesome on shrooms! 

(Just sayin'...)

Moshkito
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/29 00:43:12 (permalink)
smallstonefan
Thanks for the suggestion! I just ordered Rubycon. I've heard of, but never heard this band.

Looking forward to it! :)

You want Phaedra and then Stratosfear.

After that, go through the tube and make your choices. Too good to fail!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/29 14:18:36 (permalink)
Cool toy, James. 

Last year I got stone tablets with a hammer and chisel.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Moshkito
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/29 14:38:39 (permalink)
craigb
FYI - Rubycon will be VERY different than some of their other material that came later.  Lots of really good synth music to do acid to!  Phaedra is similar.

TD has several stages, and there is the real early one (Atem, Phaedra and Rubycon), then the next one (Stratosfear, Force Majeure, USA, Ricochet) and then the next stage that Craig mentions, and then the 90's with Linda Spa and Jerome of which "220 Volt Live" is an amazing concert, and then the stage after 2010 when they start redoing some old stuff ... and the Phaedra redo in 2014 and Supernormal, are both incredible, as are Booster 6 and 7 ... for example.

But, for me, the very best was Robert Schroeder's first album on the IC label, which was Klaus Schulze's label. The album "Floating Music" could be played in both 33RPM and 45 RPM, and what you get is an amazing thing ... a wonderful piece of music at 45RPM, and then a really heavy teutonic hard sound on 33RPM that was even better than the faster version. The only thing missing were the fantastic long distance stage sets for the early German operas of the 20th century, the setting designs of which are legendary ... simple, some columns and amazing lights. And a voice coming out of the middle of it out of "nowhere". This, became one of the huge influences in Werner Herzog, later when it came to lights, specially in his Nosferatu version, which even includes visuals for our delectation, even though he had already done psychedelic stuff with Amon Duul 2's Phallus Dei, which was one of his first films. Apparently he was a part of that commune, and he never really lost his free form stuff, from the camera to the actors, as evidenced by Klaus Kinski more than once and many films, when things just go all over the place.

But some LP's are worth having for the turntable. The Cosmic Courier albums (Cosmic Joke specially) sound really well and pretty in its simplicity, and just a bass guitar floating. Ash Ra Temple's New Age of Earth is a must get for the turntable. One of the first "new age" albums all around. CAN's Ege Bamyasi shold also be here, but their Future Days, and specially Soon Over Babbalooma, are even more valuable as the long cuts go from frenetic to slow to a simple touch for a transition ... that just melts away musical thoughts. And my two favorite albums to blow out on the turntable, because the CD's sucked rotten, will always be Amon Duul 2's Wolf City (full blast that thing ... and the album's later releases have the sides reversed ... should start with the title cut!) and then Vive La Trance, as the 2 big cuts are a massive treat for your ears! The CD versions are nice, but the  separation is not there and I have not heard the remastered versions yet, but I doubt they will be better than the original.

Other things that were great ... Jethro Tull's Passion Play. Yes' Tales from Topographic Oceans. Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene.

In general, most of the regular rock stuff was never really improved, but the more experimental stuff and different from the regular top ten, had way more life and beauty in it, than otherwise, and it made them super special.

None of the CD versions of this, came close in quality, and the worst offenders (even remastered) were Sgt Peppers, White Album, DSOTM. The Steven Wilson remixes are not that great, and I personally thought that his attempt to do ITCOTCK made it look like the band was not together at all, and when you see it in the Live in Toronto 2015 with the 3 drummers, you know right away that was not the case ... RF's work is (generally) really tight and together!

smallstonefan
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/31 11:33:40 (permalink)
BobF
Cool toy, James. 

How is that working out for ya? Post pics! :)
BobF
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/31 12:54:06 (permalink)
smallstonefan
BobF
Cool toy, James. 

I'm still practicing.  I think I need to take lessons

Bob  --
--

smallstonefan
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/31 12:58:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2017/08/31 13:17:54
BobF
smallstonefan
BobF
Cool toy, James. 

I think Groove3 has a video for that...
BobF
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/31 13:17:47 (permalink)
smallstonefan
BobF
smallstonefan
BobF
Cool toy, James. 

I think Groove3 has a video for that...

I checked.  No joy.  My sub is up in 5 days.  I would've renewed ...

Bob  --
--

smallstonefan
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/08/31 13:34:16 (permalink)
They clearly aren't listening to the needs of their customers...
smallstonefan
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/01 02:45:09 (permalink)
Wow.

Rubycon + Green Stuff = Really Good Time

thanks.

:)
smallstonefan
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/01 02:51:14 (permalink)
Listening to this sort of reminds me of listening to Saucer Full of Secrets or Piper at the Gates of Dawn for the first time. It can be pretty intense...

And I like that.
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/01 13:54:45 (permalink)
In my new studio/office, I have set up my old JVC variable speed turntable with my stereo system. The floor is concrete so I can crank it up without shaking the needle out of the groove. I had forgotten how good black vinyl  sounded. Started off with some Stix and ELO's Out of the Blue.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
smallstonefan
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/01 14:16:18 (permalink)
Guitarhacker
In my new studio/office, I have set up my old JVC variable speed turntable with my stereo system. The floor is concrete so I can crank it up without shaking the needle out of the groove. I had forgotten how good black vinyl  sounded. Started off with some Stix and ELO's Out of the Blue.

A Styx album was the very album I played on my new turntable. :)
BobF
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/01 14:25:52 (permalink)
ELP's 'Lucky Man' and 'Take A Pebble' were my goto stereo test tunes back in the day

EDITED to correct typo
post edited by BobF - 2017/09/01 14:57:19

Bob  --
--

Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/01 14:33:39 (permalink)
BobF
ELO's 'Lucky Man' and 'Take A Pebble' were my goto stereo test tunes back in the day

Do you mean ELP? (Emerson Lake & Palmer)

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Moshkito
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/01 14:40:30 (permalink)
BobF
ELO's 'Lucky Man' and 'Take A Pebble' were my goto stereo test tunes back in the day

I was more thinking that you would want ELP's first album for its bombastic works. It really brought the turntable up to another level.

Again, however, a lot of European bands, did much more interesting things for the LP and its abilities. I was just listening to Family in their last period and specially "It's Only a Movie" ... and there are some spectacular things in there. Along with this, one should also have The Groundhogs' Crosscut Saw (for his unreal use of guitar effects to the max ... and how!!!!) and then "Black Diamond" ... and when you hear "Live Right" ... you will know you have been ground hogged! Super fine material that sounds even better on a great stereo and turntable.

In the early 70's Eno and some German folks were playing around with a recording technique ... head something or other ... and it was really a trip, and only "trip" albums were done with it ... so things like Faust ... sounded really far out and crazy, and when you heard Guru Guru do anything from their first 4 albums ... you know that this is crazy ... is this about sound effects on the guitar or what? But it sure sounded crazy.

For that matter, the first Guru Guru's albums should also be in the list. All the way to KanGuruGuru. The earlier stuff with Ax Gernrich is totally out of this world, and it is just a shame that folks don't check out his insane guitar stuff ... a true guitar player on "acid", we could easily say, but his solo albums are also insane and crazy, so you know that the feeling is consistent on his work, even from the early days. Let me just tell you that the LSD March and Cosmic Junk and some of those things sound amazing in a big stereo (or in my examples -- a big FM station even better), but I'm not sure that some folks here can handle the guitar noise ... and might think of it as not playing at all. 

But it sure made that "krautrock" stand out and then some! And the CD's still don't do this stuff justice, though I think that Amon Duul 2 could use a really big and professional remastering, because so much of their work is really out there. YETI should be on any turntable and then some!

BobF
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/01 14:55:55 (permalink)
Guitarhacker
BobF
ELP's 'Lucky Man' and 'Take A Pebble' were my goto stereo test tunes back in the day

Yes, that's exactly what I mean

Bob  --
--

craigb
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/01 19:10:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2017/09/02 01:30:58
BobF
Guitarhacker
BobF

Yes, that's exactly what I mean

Are you sure you don't mean Emerson, Lake & Palmer? 

(Just checkin'...)

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/01 22:36:58 (permalink)
I think the mastering engineers did an amazing job pushing vinyl to the max and getting it sounding as good as they did without the needle jumping out of the groove.  A friend of mine (in the 70's) even had the concrete slab coming up from the ground under the house just clearing the floor and rising to support the turntable. Things sound slightly more solid and firm when you go this far would you believe.

The Sheffield stuff is also amazing because it is super quiet. The music always shocks you as little when it comes in for the first time. (No tape hiss involved and better transients as a result too) 

With Jarre's Oxygen 1 by the way the original is an OK master for the time and he did a very good job with what he had. It is not super fidelity though. Say compared to Dark Side around the same era.  But the last Oxygen 3 album which he only just released is an all digital affair and goes way beyond anything vinyl could hope to achieve. He has maximised the used of the digital medium on this.  When you hear something this good too it also makes you realise that digital has the potential to blow anything vinyl out of the water.  

That ELP album with the little bird on the front cover has some of the deepest bass I have heard recorded on vinyl too.  So much so that it embarrassed a lot of demonstrators at large Hi Fi shows in the 70's. Only LEAK speakers and Janis sub woofers could deal with it.  Also the Shure V15 type III pickup in the SME arm/headshell combo was the only thing that could play it too. They pushed the boundaries in some places on the album. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
BobF
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/02 01:32:50 (permalink)
I've had a concrete pier thru the floor for a telescope, but never a turntable

Bob  --
--

craigb
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/02 02:00:36 (permalink)
I had a LARGE record collection.  Then I heard CD's on my very nice sound system.  I immediately started selling my collection and replacing them with CD's.  I will never be going back.

Moshkito
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/02 21:29:03 (permalink)
smallstonefan
BobF
Cool toy, James. 

I keep thinking that he is trying to re-invent "krautrock" ... heck if Faust can do it, so can he!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1