I keep recording the metronome .. duh

Author
kevvvvv
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 116
2010/08/03 03:17:06 (permalink)

I keep recording the metronome .. duh

when recording audio, I keep recording the metronome too.

help
post edited by kevvvvv - 2010/08/03 03:24:00

Sonar 8.5 PE x64 www.rossiterandco.com Omnisphere, Nexus, Blue, Jamstix, BFD, Sylenth, Kore, Kontakt, DCAM

18 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/03 08:23:23 (permalink)
    What soundcard? If you have a SoundBlaster, turn off What U Hear. If not, check the control panel for the soundcard and make sure you're not routing the output back through the input.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Teksonik
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/03 16:53:03 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure Kevvvv isn't using a SoundBlaster...............

Kind of an insult moving this to "Get Started".............................. he's hardly a newbie................
    post edited by Teksonik - 2010/08/03 17:07:26
    daveny5
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/03 17:51:51 (permalink)
    Sorry, but if he's recording the metronome and can't fix it, he's a newbie. Plus he only has 107 posts.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    kevvvvv
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/03 18:06:33 (permalink)
    I don't mind being called a noob.

I've not used Sonar for audio recording before - strictly midi or loop work.

I've checked my Audiophile 2496 in case "something happened to it".

But it looks good.

I'm obviously missing some Sonar routing know-how.

My audio metronome feeds the master bus is what I can see.

Any ideas for this noob?

Sonar 8.5 PE x64 www.rossiterandco.com Omnisphere, Nexus, Blue, Jamstix, BFD, Sylenth, Kore, Kontakt, DCAM
    daveny5
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/03 22:09:16 (permalink)
    I don't use the metronome much myself, so I'm a bit of a noob on it too. I generally record to drum tracks.

Try setting the output of the metronome to metronome and then it shouldn't record it on your track. By sending it to the master bus, you're recording it.

Dave
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/03 22:54:52 (permalink)
    Just to clarify: you're using audio metronome, not MIDI metronome?

Should be fine to route audio metronome to master, if that's what you want to do. It sounds to me like you're recording from the wrong Audiophile driver input. I know when I used to use delta cards the m-audio driver provided a "mixdown" L/R pair, which you could effectively use to record all inputs and outputs being mixed in the delta mixer. So let's say you have metronome => master => output 1/2... then if you happen to be recording from the mixdown L and/or right, then you'll get what's coming into your mics/lines as well as what's being sent to outputs 1/2. Instead, you want to record from input 1/2, or input 3/4, etc. That's the only thing I can think of (aside from some internal feedback routing that I'm not even sure you can do with the Audiophile)...
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/03 23:01:18 (permalink)
    kevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv---how many "V's"--?

The default project file, "Normal"--I'm pretty sure the default template sets up a bus for the metronome and it's directed to the audio card instead of the master.  I just now opened up a blank project to check on that.

What I routinely do is start a project, make sure I have Audio metronome - And I've never recorded it along with tracks, and that's because the default is directed to your audio card and not the master.

I think you must be wrestling with extra things involving the metronome that you don't need to do.  As I've said, the default has always worked for me, and I've never had the metronome accidentally added to my tracks.  Check that out.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    keith
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/03 23:09:13 (permalink)
    If you're recording from audiophile inputs into a track, the master bus will not affect what gets recorded. If you're bouncing/exporting, then you'd need to worry about what you're bouncing/exporting and what's routed where. Assuming you have the correct input devices selected for record, what ends up in the recorded track is coming directly from the hardware inputs. I think the only way to record what's coming through mix engine is to do the "Live Bounce" thing.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/03 23:09:38 (permalink)
    kevvvv, are you sure it's actually recording? The metronome can be set for record and/or playback. Sending it to the master bus (unusual as Randy mentioned) should not have any effect, as that should be after the fact. Try turning on "Large transport". There, you should see the options for metronome during playback and record, and you should be able to turn it off for playback.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    rbowser
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/03 23:57:26 (permalink)
    --Oh man, now I'm confused.  I don't understand these last two posts, RobertB and Keith - My Master is what determines what gets recorded in the 2-track master.--That's why when there's the metronome bus in the default Normal template, it's directed to the audio card, not the Master.  Otherwise it would be recorded--as anything is directed to my Master.  But deleting the metronome bus doesn't change anything because the metronome is still going just to the card for recording, or playback if you want to hear it while playing tracks prior to mix-down.

I don't get why you're saying that "sending it to the master bus should not have any effect, as that should be after the fact"--After what fact--?--And Keith said "...the master bus will not affect what gets recorded..." The Master is what's in your mix, hence the name Master--. 

How are you guys working--?  I'm like--all corn fused!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    kevvvvv
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/04 15:16:18 (permalink)
    Lots of ideas to try out- which is why I like coming here.

Thank you Randy, Robert, Keith and Dave.

If I'm still stuck I'll come squealing back 

keith
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/04 23:39:56 (permalink)
    rbowser

--Oh man, now I'm confused.  I don't understand these last two posts, RobertB and Keith - My Master is what determines what gets recorded in the 2-track master.--That's why when there's the metronome bus in the default Normal template, it's directed to the audio card, not the Master.  Otherwise it would be recorded--as anything is directed to my Master.  But deleting the metronome bus doesn't change anything because the metronome is still going just to the card for recording, or playback if you want to hear it while playing tracks prior to mix-down.

I don't get why you're saying that "sending it to the master bus should not have any effect, as that should be after the fact"--After what fact--?--And Keith said "...the master bus will not affect what gets recorded..." The Master is what's in your mix, hence the name Master--. 

How are you guys working--?  I'm like--all corn fused!

Randy B.

The Master bus (as in the bus labeled "Master" in the normal template or whatever), is just a stereo bus. Busses make it convenient to collect a bunch of output from tracks and do stuff with them as a whole... e.g., 12 tracks of drums can be routed to a bus where maybe you want to apply an FX to the whole drum submix, control the volume of the drum submix, etc. Same principle applies to the Master bus. As a matter of standard procedure, routing all tracks and busses down to a single master bus makes it easier to manage the whole mix. You could certainly mix your stuff by sending track outputs directly to a single hardware output pair (i.e., all tracks sent to the same pair), but you'd be seriously limiting yourself and making things very difficult at the same time.

What Robert and I mean is that the Master bus is "downstream" from the individual tracks and busses feeding it... so there's no way (currently ) to record from the Master bus into a track. Actually, there are ways to do it, but you really need to try to set things up to do that via external hardware routing (patch cords), internal hardware routing (DSP mixer), software loopback routing (special I/O drivers), etc.  

A simple view of routing in a project during recording would be something like this: 

[hardware input] ==> track 1 -------------
                                              |
                         track 2 --           |
                                   |-- bus 1--|   
                         track 3 --           |-- Master ==> [hardware output]                                            

|
                         metronome -----------

So it looks kinda like a tree, sideways... audio is flowing left to right, including audio coming from hardware inputs into tracks. If you have the metronome simply routed to the Master bus, and you're recording onto track 1 via some hardware input, the sound of the metronome should not have any way to get into track 1. Now... if somehow [hardware output] and [hardware input] are connected, then you'll get metronome (and also tracks 2 and 3) recorded into track 1.

post edited by keith - 2010/08/04 23:41:36
    rbowser
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/05 00:01:34 (permalink)
    Hi, Keith - Thanks for the reply.

I'm still not getting what you guys mean.  I don't use a standard template since I find the configuration of the mixer (Console View) needs to be customized on a per-project basis, but I still use a Master to go to the card.  It's the analog model for the hardware machines I cut my recording teeth on.

I use whatever number of buses a given project needs.  If I'm doing an orchestral piece, I'm most likely to have a bus each for the sections of the orchestra - woodwinds, brass, strings and percussion.  Those buses go into a master bus along with whatever other stray instruments there might be in the mix, like piano and harp. 

The Master is exactly what I want to hear in the final product - hence the name (as I said in my earlier post) -Master bus.  It is just the same as the other buses in its technical construction, but it's the bus I've designated to be what plays everything that the final recording is to consist of.  Exactly like in a hardware mixer.  What goes in the master ends up in your recording.

It looks as those you guys are talking about the master as some sort of sub-mix bus, which isn't the same at all as an actual Master.

You made a diagram showing tracks, buses, and the metronome going to the master--and the master going to the card.  ---  I don't get it - That looks right, and in your diagram, but the metronome would be recorded because it's going out of--The Master.  As opposed to how the metronome by default bypasses the Master precisely to avoid being recorded.

---?

I really feel that Kev's original question would be avoided if he just used the default settings.  Those insure against the metronome coming out of the Master and into the final 2-track mix down.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    keith
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/05 00:37:59 (permalink)
    Randy, I see what you're saying... you're referring more to bouncing or recording a mixdown to stereo (exporting and bouncing in SONAR terms). If kevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv  were to File => Export and select Master as the source of the export and the metronome was enabled for playback, then he'd get the metronome in the export. Just like in the hardware world.... if you don't mute the click track it'll show up in a mixdown/bounce/whatever.

But I believe he's talking about recording to a track, not exporting/bouncing. In my diagram above, if you select the appropriate hardware input for track 1 and arm track 1 for record, you'll record into track 1 only what's coming from the hardware input. Whatever else is routed through the Master bus (presumably, including track 1 live input being routed to Master, but only if you've enabled input monitoring) will be coming out of your speakers or headphones (disregarding headphone submixes, etc.), but none of that should end up on track 1.

BTW... speaking of input monitoring during record... if kevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv does have some sort of hardware loopback or "stereo mixdown" setup while recording, enabling input monitoring will produce a nasty ear splitting feedback. So don't do that.
    post edited by keith - 2010/08/05 00:42:10
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/05 00:49:33 (permalink)
    kevvvvv

when recording audio, I keep recording the metronome too.

help

I always keep the metronome OFF, since I don't use it.

That's in the Options, either the Project or Global ones.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    Meffy
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 629
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/05 10:08:37 (permalink)
    rbowser

kevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv---how many "V's"--?

Not as many as on KVR. :-} He gets bonus "v"s there.
    rbowser
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2010/08/05 10:16:27 (permalink)
    Oh yeah!  Live recording.  People still do that don't they - I forget sometimes. 

Thanks, Keith for the patient explanation.  I had the scenario here much more complicated than it is.  I thought Kevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    (I win!) was needing/wanting his metronome on during audible bouncing, or it was magically appearing in his mixes -I don't know What all I thought.

"...if you select the appropriate hardware input for track 1 and arm track 1 for record, you'll record into track 1 only what's coming from the hardware input. Whatever else is routed through the Master bus..."

Yes, of course, Simple Pie.  Now I'm on the same page.  Thanks.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    karma1959
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    Re:I keep recording the metronome .. duh 2011/02/06 11:20:02 (permalink)
    Hi Kev,
    I was wondering if you could tell me how you managed to record the audio metronome?  I realize this was an unintended result for you, however I'm actually trying to record the audio metronome and unable to.  I've played around with having the audio metronome output routed to a metronome bus (and the metronome bus output sent to master) as well as the audio metronome output routed to the master bus and also to the audio outputs directly - all to no avail. 

I'm about to give up and start trying to use the midi metronome and record that from a soft synth if I can't figure this out.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Russ

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1