I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rockinrobby
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1265
2011/01/14 02:22:13 (permalink)

I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here...

Have you ever wondered why? There are 10 people for every person who posts who lurk and never post? Why do you think that is? Are they steeling ideas and modifying them "slightly??" Why would people remain silent in the background the whole time? Completely silent, without saying a word? If not to "borrow" the creative juices of those here who do post? I think it's a 100% probability that some of these people are doing just that? I'm just wondering "how big" the actual percentage is?
post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/01/14 03:10:09

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."

47 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 03:34:09 (permalink)
    Are you talking about hits to posts ratio? That's an easy one to explain and doesn't involve any lurking.

You post your thread = 1 hit
    You check what you wrote = 2 hits
    You bump your thread = 3 hits
    You go back and insert inappropriate pic = 4 hits
    Someone reads the thread = 5 hits
    They post = 6 hits
    You read what they wrote = 7 hits
    They check what they wrote = 8 hits
    ..etc, etc..

Check the bottom of the page to see how many people are actually reading this forum, it rarely goes above 3 or 4 at any one time. It's just the same people reading and re-reading the threads.
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2011/01/14 03:35:16

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    rockinrobby
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 03:39:07 (permalink)
    :-) Well I don't mean to sound "well you know..." I'm just saying? There are a lot of "really talented people" who post their ideas here? Yourself at or near the top... And I know there are many "visitors?" Who are not members? And perhaps some members? Who are interested in nothing more than your ideas? i.e., not to critique, not to enjoy, but to "scout?" It's human nature? There are hundreds of people here every day? Surely "some?" have a nefarious agenda? Maybe not, perhaps everyone is filled with the milk of human kindness? Like the evening news we all see every day?

rockinrobby
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 03:46:14 (permalink)
    And those pics are NOT inappropriate! You KNOW you enjoy that picture!

cho_drummer
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 04:00:20 (permalink)
    So?
    No musical ideas are new and once you've written a song you own the copyright. Once you post it online you prove that you've written and recorded that song at that time. If someone steals it and makes money from it, sue them.

I think this is a very paranoid thread.
    rockinrobby
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 04:15:38 (permalink)
    Ha! Funny, how people can put words in your mouth? If you could please show where I actually said that? It would be nice. Or perhaps, this is a case of inference? People (read you and others) should not put words in my mouth please? If you have ideas or opinions? Then please express them "independently?" I welcome others thoughts? Just not accusations or improper implications or inferences :-(

And if you believe the chance is 0%? Then please make that known. I believe it's above 0? That's the point I'm trying to make? I'm just not sure how far above 0 it is? For people to simply attack a fair question belies ignorance.
    post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/01/14 04:17:17

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 08:00:20 (permalink)
    If you think this place is bad for visits vs commentary..... you should see some of the other forums.... oh my...

If you get 1 in 10 commenting, that's good. Why don't more comment? I can think of a few reasons....

1. they think the song is horrible and don't want to hurt the writer's feelings.
    2. they think the recording quality is horrible and don't want to hurt the person's feelings
    3. they don't have a clue about what to comment on in a technical way
    4. they don't have the time to comment
    5. they stole your idea and don't want to leave any "tracks".....

I try to look for something good in the performance or the recording and comment on that... at times that's hard to do, but there is no law that says someone must comment if they listen... it is common decency to do so. 

I think I'll just leave a smiley face from now on when I can't think of any good commentary..... that will leave them wondering..... is he smiling because he enjoyed the song, or is he really laughing at me.... ?

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/01/14 08:04:42

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    dacookster
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 08:27:43 (permalink)
    Good explanations.  I never thought once that people were coming in here to steal ideas for songs.    I usually go to my Coldplay CD collection for that!

But I was wondering about the lack of banter.
    thalweg
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 571
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 09:19:07 (permalink)
    I understand that a little banter keeps things jovial but please lets not pollute the the quality of the songs forum as the banter can easily morph into mindless drivel.  I really enjoy the signal to noise ratio here!

I find the coffee house a great place for the aforementioned banter.  Some of it is down right hilarious!  Often times however, its diatribe that puts a load on my eye lids.  To be fair, I rarely go there...I just simply don't have time to contribute.

My Music/Video Channel:

www.youtube.com/tonehook
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 09:45:14 (permalink)
    Who cares? If folks wanna lurk, let 'em. I try to post on every tune I listen to but sometimes I just don't feel like it, or really don't have anything to add to the conversation.
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 09:58:18 (permalink)
    Keep your voices down, they're probably listening right now...

Robby, a lot of it is probably your therapist keeping tabs on you.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 10:28:18 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo

Who cares? If folks wanna lurk, let 'em. I try to post on every tune I listen to but sometimes I just don't feel like it, or really don't have anything to add to the conversation.

EXACTLY.

and robby - yes it is. 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 10:57:24 (permalink)
    i think of it as these forums are also cakewalks glovebox..im sure the techs are getting great ideas here too
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 11:41:11 (permalink)
    Wookiees struggle to lurk not sure why we try hard but we will keep that to the CH.

Re the OP question see Herb's reply points 1, 2 and 3.

I listen to most of what is posted I comment on little as I feel there is little I can add or offer. 

That which I enjoyed or appealed to me and I want to let the poster know gets a or maybe two.  Sometimes I just have to add some words.  If I can help I will offer something, but just because I sometimes leave nothing just means that I felt I had nothing to say.

(Now back to checking on the Banters whereabouts)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 12:07:38 (permalink)
    "rockinrobby"

There are 10 views for every person who posts who lurk and never post?

Fixed. 

"rockinrobby"

Surely "some?" have a nefarious agenda? Maybe not, perhaps everyone is filled with the milk of human kindness?

What is this "milk of human kindness" you speak of so highly, and where does it hide?!

A fickle thing these statistics are... (a la green yoda).
    post edited by Alegria - 2011/01/14 12:08:43
    rockinrobby
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 17:57:33 (permalink)
    Well think of it this way. You have a guy on the street who walks up to a bunch of innocent people and starts blowing them away at point blank range in AZ? The world is populated with both good, "and bad" people. It strains credulity to think that of the billions of people in the world, some aren't out to see how they can game the system? Nigerian princes offering to give you millions if you provide your bank account info? But it's not possible that someone could be attempting to pirate other folks intellectual property? I think any one who believes that has given their bank account info to that Nigerian prince...

cho_drummer
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 18:22:54 (permalink)
    Please tell me why you felt the need to send me a private message accusing me of stealing other people's ideas?!

If you had any idea of who I am and the music I've posted here in the past and the ammount of times i've commented on songs offering technical and songwriting tips you'd realise how misinformed, off the wall and down right offensive that is.

Consider yourself black listed in my book.
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 18:47:04 (permalink)
    Robby, I think you're thinkin too deep about it all. First of all, if someone was into stealing ideas, why would they come here. Just go to Soundclik or any of the other gazzillion hosts. Or, just walk out the door and listen cause it's all been done before. Well, actually, snowflakes melting on tongues may be brand new. hmm, there goes my theory:) However, I think the disproportionate ratio simply reflects the state of humanity in that most people are simply shy or scared or stupid or can't type. You see their posts occasionally. The ones that joined in 2003 and have 5 posts and when they do post there all perflect. LOL......

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Thatsastrat
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 18:49:27 (permalink)
    In the beginning I used to lurk alot. Then as I started to get to know something
    about how recording and effects and all worked, I started adding an occasional post to a thread.

Then I found I had to lurk some more, this time to figure out personalities.
    There were some that could not except criticisms of any kind.
    There are folks that I won't post to, because they never seem to post on anyone elses songs,
    and only seem interested in feedback on there work.
    I sure there is more to concider. 

rockinrobby
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 19:08:34 (permalink)
    Then I found I had to lurk some more, this time to figure out personalities. 

*There are no personalities here, and I HOPE that is not a reference to me!!!

There were some that could not except criticisms of any kind. 

*Are you being critical of me? Because I have a hard time accepting that.

There are folks that I won't post to, because they never seem to post on anyone elses songs, 
    and only seem interested in feedback on there work. 

*Amen brother!

I sure there is more to concider.  

*Yeah I just wonder (at times, in my more paranoid frames of mind) if there aren't some people who craft music who lift more than just general concepts here... Probably not? But the possibility exists. I'm pretty sure most of the stuff in the country top 40 was lifted directly from my RN page?

rockinrobby
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 19:10:42 (permalink)
    Robby, I think you're thinkin too deep about it all. First of all, if someone was into stealing ideas, why would they come here. Just go to Soundclik or any of the other gazzillion hosts. Or, just walk out the door and listen cause it's all been done before. Well, actually, snowflakes melting on tongues may be brand new. hmm, there goes my theory:) However, I think the disproportionate ratio simply reflects the state of humanity in that most people are simply shy or scared or stupid or can't type. You see their posts occasionally. The ones that joined in 2003 and have 5 posts and when they do post there all perflect. LOL......
    timidi

I think they'd come here because this forum has filtered out much of the manure that you would get if you just went to a hosting site? Because there are so many top flight song writers that post right here? (and me)

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 19:14:37 (permalink)
    robby
    i'm pretty sure you will acknowledge i don't steal ur stuff (not much room in black metal for smooth vox), and i always listen to your stuff, but i don't always comment. sometimes because i don't have anything to say, sometimes because i have some crits, and actually don't want to unless i've herad on my main system (which i don't get round to), sometimes cos you annoy me with posts like this! and sometimes i will post as i see it. so maybe i only post on 40% of the times i listen to your stuff...do you see where i'm heading?

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Thatsastrat
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 19:46:22 (permalink)
    Robby,
    My comments were not directed at you.
    I will leave it at , I have bumped heads before for giving what I thought was good advice to the
    persons posting. It was not received as intended. I really look for the posts no one has commented on much to see if the OP could use maybe some help and or,  encouragement.
    No personalities on here? Are you kidding?
    rockinrobby
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 19:46:37 (permalink)
    Humm, I'm pretty sure when I play your last one backwards, I hear "take my love" but it's like an angel voice, not a devil one. Yeah the OP was really more about the visitors, not the members. And really just wondering out loud if someone could be reverse engineering some of the fine tunes here (a visitor) Now stop backward steeling and angel voicing my stuff! 

silvercn
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1238
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 20:33:13 (permalink)
    You might want to consider the "1/3" Rule in whatever you encounter in the big world and since you are interested in statistics: roughly 1/3 of people are somewhat normal; 1/3 are below normal; and 1/3 are in some other place.....
    stratrat1
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 212
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 21:28:36 (permalink)
    I lurk when Im here at work...They have blocked all streaming...damn it !!!!

Sonar Platinum
    windows 10 64bit
    Intel i7 Quad 950
    Asus p6t 
    24 gigs DDR3 1333
    3 250 gig SSD
    VS-700C
    Soundcraft COMPACT 24 for pres and converters....
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 22:46:59 (permalink)
    Robby, Long time. Sounds optomistic to me, yet one wonders about this and another wonders about that. Interestingly enough some people don't wonder at all. There will always be thieves in this world stealing ideas, comments, money, creations of others, but in the end they will stand and be accountable for every event in their life. Now that, you can take to the bank for sure! Got to love it! John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    silvercn
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1238
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/14 23:03:55 (permalink)
    All of this reinforces the topic of a song I want to do (don't steal the idea!): " Everybody is correct"  perception is reality kind of thing..we are all legends in our own mind!!!! - NOT
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/15 06:28:09 (permalink)
    I lurk around here to steal fiddle tunes.

Buwwwwwaaaaahahahahahahaha!  

String Jammer
    groveendroad
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    Re:I know "statistically" there are many people who lurk here... 2011/01/15 09:19:04 (permalink)
    That gives me an idea for a song: They Lurk. LOL
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1