I need drum production tips

Author
revnice1
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1082
2010/10/16 11:31:53 (permalink)

I need drum production tips

I have BFD2 and it's awesome but you have to know how to get what you want and I don't. 

I'm looking for that big, 80s, slow rock ballad kick and snare, the old cliche. Cymbals are not an issue.

The kick needs a nice combo between click and woof and the snare needs to be big and deep with a snappy crack (you know!). I've tried fiddling for hours but I'm going round in circles. The defaults seem too brief and snappy.

If anyone is familiar with BFD2, I'd love a specific suggestion for kick and snare (I have the Andy Johns and Joe Barresi expansion packs) and any tips on getting the above. Do I have to start with a certain mixer preset?

Thanks - rev

24 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/16 11:56:30 (permalink)
    Some General Kick Drum Mixing tips. These are general. You need to Use your ears for the sound

Some General EQ Tips:

• Less Boominess - Cut around 80Hz
    • More Boominess - Boost around 80Hz
    • More Thud - Boost around 1kHz
    • More Click -Boost around 12kHz
    • More Attack - Boost 5kHz
    • Less Wallop - cut around 220Hz
    • More Wallop - Boost around 220Hz
    Kick Drum For Rock:
    • Use a double headed kick drum
    • If the kick is too boomy, try cutting 2 to 6dB at 80Hz and then another cut  with 5 to 12dB at 200Hz. Use your ears to determine the amount of Db to cut. After these cuts are made, you should not hear any boominess anymore.In fact you should be hearing allot more of the head and way less resonance.
    • To addd more "flap" boost between 2 to 10dB at 500Hz.
    • You can also boost a bit at 12kHz with a peak or better yet a shelving filter.
    A Long Tone kick Drum:
    • This is for simulating the sound form the Roland TR-808 Long Kick. I strongly suggest you turn your monitors down a bit for these tweaks.
    • Boost between 8 to 10dB at 80Hz
    • Cut between 8 to 10 dB at 300Hz
    • Cut between 8 to 10dB at 1kHz
    • Boost at 12kHz until it sounds good to your ears.
    • Add a hall reverb with medium pre-delay and a long decay for sustain. Perfect space IR reverb has a kick and snare preset. I suggest trying one of the kick presets and tweaking it to taste. If you don't have Perfect Space, any reverb that contains hall sounds is good.
    Funky Funk Kick Drum:
    • Cut between 5 to 7dB at 80Hz to get rid of the boomines. The more boominess you have, the more dB you should cut at 80Hz and the less boominess you have, the less dB you should cut at 80Hz.
    • Boost between 5 to 7dB at 350Hz
    • Boost between 3 to 6dB at 3kHz
    • Boost a bit at 12kHz using a peak filter or shelving filter. The dB boosted is just to add a bit of presence to it, so not too much boosting.
    • You are going to need to compress with a medium attack, slow release, a threshold set to taste and the ratio set to around 4:1
    Here are some snare Drum tips:

EQ'ing The Snare Drum: (Note: These are just suggestions and guidelines, as nothing is written in stone. You must use your ears, as each song will need different EQ settings)
    • Try using a high-pass filter set at 120Hz and under. 120Hz is a great starting point and then just slide the filter downward for desired cut. 
    • Boost between 150 - 300Hz. This will fatten the snare drum up for you.
    • Try cutting around 400 - 900Hz to eliminate some boxiness low end
    • Boost between 5 - 7kHz for a crispness
    • A boost between 9 - 15kHz will add some nice brightness to the snare. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with the vocals in that range.
    Source: Snare Drum Tips    Kick Drum Tips

CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/16 12:13:45 (permalink)
    Great stuff from CJay. In conjunction with those guidlines, you should check out the CakeTV vid on using PX64 Percussion Strip, and Parts 4 and 5 of the Drum Production series (see the sticky post at the top of this forum).
    Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/16 13:47:33 (permalink)
    Yeah, thanks for that,CJay!
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/16 16:38:41 (permalink)
    If you look in the CakeTV entry at the top of this forum there is a link to 5 videos on Drum Production.

http://www.youtube.com/us...e#g/c/249B20A0F1C21B77
    post edited by daveny5 - 2010/10/17 10:03:12

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    garvolt2002
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/16 17:55:48 (permalink)
    All them numbers cjaysmusic has just given will mean nothing as it depends on your audio files.
    You can record a snare using three different mics and three different techniques and you will need to process each one different as each audio track will be different.
    Their are no magic numbers  or presets that you can dial in and you have a great snare in a mix. That is why only a handful of great mix engineers exist in the world and command 5K in any money a song for their skills. The $100 -200 dollar mix engineers are two a penny out there.
    You can get a fairly good sounding recording but its like a great masterpiece  painted by a master very few if an can even copy it.
    You may have that gift which needs to be unleashed  or you could mix forever and still be no good at it. If you have  a recording and 10 engineers in the same room it would be very hard to get 100% agreement even on a great mix.

You need to use your ears as is also mentioned.
    post edited by garvolt2002 - 2010/10/16 17:59:05
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/16 18:31:45 (permalink)

CJ gave pretty good pointers and made it quite clear that these are suggestions, starting points. These are of course just frames and reference - but w/o them, we'd never learn anything.

Of course not two takes sound the same, but the pro engineers typically know where to look for what - w/ time, they gained the experience which enables them to instantly identify where's that annoying ring in the snare even though it's not always on the same frequency. That's where CJ's numbers comes in handy for the aspiring mixer. It refines the spectrum to something a little less overwhelming for starters.

Start with these, and move around them, experiment, use your hears and learn to identify the particularities of each frequency ranges, how certain types of compression affect different types of sounds. The only way to learn is to practice. 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    jimmyrage
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/16 20:08:18 (permalink)
    One thing that comes to mind if your looking for an 80's snare sound is a long gated reverb. Also a sample of a snare with a loose batter head would probably be a good starting point.
    LixiSoft
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1017
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/16 20:59:51 (permalink)
    BFD should have those tones dialed in for you.  AS has been said, throw a long gated verb on the snare and you should be there.

LixiSoft
    CJaysMusic
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/16 21:17:26 (permalink)
    Yea, some  people like Garvolt didn't comprehend the meaning of this. Ill quote it in same size of my original post
    "Some General Kick Drum Mixing tips. These are general. You need to Use your ears for the sound"

Garvolt also missed the point of the person using samples from BFD. I dont even think Garvolt read the question the poster asked. Poor Garv . I can cal you Garv for short  LOL, as your post fell short of the persons question
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    garvolt2002
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/17 08:05:00 (permalink)
    Now, Now CJaysMusic don't be so hard on me. You did say "Some General Kick Drum Mixing tips. Not bfd2 drums.  I did put one good part of your post. LOL

"Use Your Ears"
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/17 08:44:01 (permalink)
    CJay's general starting points there are great; I've had a notebook with a bunch of similar notes for different instrument types on my desk for years, and it's a really useful resource. Not a set of rules as people have said, but a good rough guide.

I'm also a big BFD2 user, so in specific response to this:

If anyone is familiar with BFD2, I'd love a specific suggestion for kick and snare (I have the Andy Johns and Joe Barresi expansion packs) and any tips on getting the above. Do I have to start with a certain mixer preset?
    Expansion packs and presets are okay as far as they go, but they're not really the solution to your problems.
    What BFD2 is best at being is a fantastic resource of superbly well recorded, largely un-produced drum sounds, wrapped up in a very intelligenrt playback engine.

Rather than trying to find the sound you're after amongst the mix pre-sets, once you've got your drum track going, I think you'd be better off going back to first principles. I always switch all the preset effects and so on off in the BFD mixer view and start from a clean slate.

This is where CJay's crib sheet is actually exactly what you need to be looking at. Basically, once you learn about mixing drums in a general sense, then BFD becomes a great tool. Because as I say, it's just a massive set of extremely well-recorded drums from half a dozen different kits. Get your drum mixing principles down in a general sense, and you'll be able to get pretty much any sound you could want out of it.

post edited by John T - 2010/10/17 16:25:10
    frankandfree
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/17 09:11:06 (permalink)
    THUD!

FLAP!

WALLOP!

Now I'd like to know the frequencies of KAZZAMM, PLAM! FLADDAP! and SLURK! as well.

Sorry, no doubt the numbers are good and useful as a starting point but I instantly thought of good old Don Martin.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/17 09:44:57 (permalink)
    What use are ears if they are not trained to understand what the'yre hearing.Then when you have learned what you're hearing you need to learn how to sculpt that sound out of other listening experiences.
    Even great artisits learned the rudimentry elements of there art form then went on to give new meaning through their expression.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/17 10:11:28 (permalink)
    Yeah, indeed. The amount of repetition of the "use your ears" line of this and other audio forums is kind of redundant and grating. I'm pretty sure I've never once seen someone say "Oh wow, great advice. I've been using my ass by mistake".
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/17 11:38:36 (permalink)
    John T

Yeah, indeed. The amount of repetition of the "use your ears" line of this and other audio forums is kind of redundant and grating. I'm pretty sure I've never once seen someone say "Oh wow, great advice. I've been using my ass by mistake".

You, sir, owe me a keyboard! Coffee everywhere, LOL!

Untrained ears on cheap monitors in an acoustic nightmare of a room...that's the ticket! (not saying this is what the original poster is doing, just a general comment)

Still, you have to start somewhere...the little wombat is right though.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    revnice1
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/17 12:41:08 (permalink)
    Oh man, great advice from everyone! Thanks so much to all.

In the meantime, I did use my ears and co-incidentally ended up with a lot of the settings CJ mentioned as well as the huge gated reverb.

You guys rock!

Thanks again - rev
    dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/17 12:42:42 (permalink)
    I've found that multiple layers of parallel compression really helps BFD to sound more "right".  I usually create one bus with sends from kick+snare+rooms.  Then I do another with a send from the full kit.  Once you've got the kick and snare punching right, then you'll want to dial the cymbals back and start fine tuning the kit.

Even more important than that is getting the velocities of the cymbals right.  I despise the sound of the kick that comes through the overheads so I always shut that off. 

twaddle
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1967
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/17 13:36:36 (permalink)
    revnice1

I guess we're done here and I'm a bit late but someone asked on the bfd 2 forum for an 80's power balled style mixer preset and Angus-fx or Rob-fx duly went and knocked one up. I'll look for the thread but if I can't find it I do have it and can mail it to you if you like. Although it sounds like you're already well on your way to what you want.

I absolutely love BFD 2 and consider my self to be a bit of a BFD evangelist on this forum.
    I can't wait for BFD 3 which they keep telling us is just around the proverbial corner. They have said that BFD 3 will have a a large amount mixer and kit pre-sets compared to BFD 2.
    I'm not really in favour of presets but if you're just using them to start you off in the right direction and to actually learn how to get those sounds then all's good.

Steve

Here's the preset from RobFX. You need to be logged in to see it.

(http://www.fxpansion.com/...ewtopic.php?t=7574533)
    post edited by twaddle - 2010/10/17 13:43:25

soundcloud  SoundClick  Myspace
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
    Intel i7 930, 3.40Ghz, 
    12GB Corsair DDR3 
    1TB WD  SATA 6Gb X 2 
    Emu- 0404 PCIe 
    Sonar X1d Expanded
    BFD3 + BFD2 + BFD Eco
    Dual boot windows 7, 32 & 64bit
    jimmyrage
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/17 14:03:31 (permalink)
    John T

I think using your ass is only good on a mono mix!
    garvolt2002
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/17 16:19:45 (permalink)
    A few posts back someone  posted on here was using analyzers to see  frequencies and how the different audio files fit in the mix. They were told to use their ears.

Now they are told to use settings. I have nothing to moan over any setting but the drum settings will depend on the other instruments and the style of music.

If you take ten books on compression and eq everyone will have different settings on drums and any other musical instrument.

Their are no magic setting and eq and compression might not even be needed on certain audio files.

Remember back their was a project on here where users could mix a  song after paying $5 to download the audio files  I forget the name of the post now.

The audio files were so good that just panning them gave a great mix.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/18 05:44:38 (permalink)
    I'm just waiting for BFD to be released in 64 bit.

This is the one thing that's holding me back with upgrading my system.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    twaddle
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1967
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/18 06:07:40 (permalink)
    I was doing that too Jonesy but it's working fine in sonar 64 bit and I've had projects that were hitting the 50% and above mark are now down below 10% so for me it's been well worth it. I'd be interested to see how much better it performs when it finally does go 64bit but of course I have a complete new system so it's not just down to being 64 bit.
    I just did a test compare and a song that was hitting the 50% and above mark is now between 7% and 9% in sonar 64bit and 19% to 22% in sonar 32 bit.
    I found that pod farm uses almost as much cpu/ram as bfd but I love it and can use it freely without worry now.

Steve

soundcloud  SoundClick  Myspace
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
    Intel i7 930, 3.40Ghz, 
    12GB Corsair DDR3 
    1TB WD  SATA 6Gb X 2 
    Emu- 0404 PCIe 
    Sonar X1d Expanded
    BFD3 + BFD2 + BFD Eco
    Dual boot windows 7, 32 & 64bit
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/18 06:24:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for that Steve.

My main reason for wanting to go 64 bit is purely to have the ability to run multiple instances of EWQLSO for my orchestral projects.

Currently, I'm pieceing together a rock album, so there's no immediate rush.

I've managed to squeeze out on a couple of songs, 75+ audio tracks, with 100+ plugs, extensive automation, and loads of V-V clips, and this will run at about 50% cpu usage, so it's only for th eorchestral stuff that I'm oging to need 64 bit.

Besides, the wife would have a head fit!!!!!!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    CJaysMusic
    Re:I need drum production tips 2010/10/18 10:35:06 (permalink)
    In the meantime, I did use my ears and co-incidentally ended up with a lot of the settings CJ mentioned as well as the huge gated reverb.

Awesome! As long as it sounds good, thats all that matters..
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1