I think these are finally done-yet another update

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
clarkeo
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 625
2008/01/27 11:44:34 (permalink)

I think these are finally done-yet another update

2 new mixes up for these. Thanks to Mark Wessels for his fantastic guitar work. I'm ready to call them done if unless there's something that really needs fixing

My Baby She Don't Love Me Anymore

Amber

Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments on these.

[edit] New mixes posted after the suggestions/comments regarding the reverb. These better?

[edit2] I updated Amber to a newly mastered version done by JamzOR. Thank you Jamz, much better-and you are really quick.

Clark
post edited by clarkeo - 2008/02/03 19:40:16

Sonar PE 8.5.2, Project 5 V2, Firepod

35 Replies Related Threads

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/27 12:04:54 (permalink)
    Clark, yes, this is nice mix. I might put a little less reverb on the guitar and it seems your vocal is just a little to the left of center. But, the overall sound is coming across nicely. Yep, I like this one and this is a really smooth mix; I get a kick out of that middle 8.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/27 14:07:41 (permalink)
    Listened to "My Baby...". It has something you don't hear a lot out of home studios, and that's the illusion that it's a real band playing in a real space. You could almost believe it was recorded live, if not for the clarity. Love the organ solo. Nice work, Clark.

I liked "Amber" a lot. Too smooth and classy to qualify as "reggae", though, IMO. The trumpet solo is especially effective. You can't fake that on a synth! Check your SoundClick page; those five stars are from me.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    clarkeo
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/27 14:41:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

Listened to "My Baby...". It has something you don't hear a lot out of home studios, and that's the illusion that it's a real band playing in a real space. You could almost believe it was recorded live, if not for the clarity. Love the organ solo. Nice work, Clark.

I liked "Amber" a lot. Too smooth and classy to qualify as "reggae", though, IMO. The trumpet solo is especially effective. You can't fake that on a synth! Check your SoundClick page; those five stars are from me.

Wow thanks Dave. I take that as a real compliment.

Clark

Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/27 14:54:48 (permalink)
    Hey Clark,

Soundclick is acting up again for me, slow loading, and only plays about 20 seconds of the song before starting over. On a side note, this only ever happens to me on the upgraded Soundclick sites with personal images on the player. Strange.

Anyway, going on the first 20 seconds of Amber... The added guitar sounds nice, wish I could hear where it was going, will have to try again later, but the vocals seem overly de-essed to me. In fact, one ess sound in the first verse is pretty much inaudible.
    I went and checked the old version master I did before and the vocals are much more crisp in that.

I'll give this another listen later though..
    clarkeo
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/27 15:39:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jamz0r

Hey Clark,

Soundclick is acting up again for me, slow loading, and only plays about 20 seconds of the song before starting over. On a side note, this only ever happens to me on the upgraded Soundclick sites with personal images on the player. Strange.

Anyway, going on the first 20 seconds of Amber... The added guitar sounds nice, wish I could hear where it was going, will have to try again later, but the vocals seem overly de-essed to me. In fact, one ess sound in the first verse is pretty much inaudible.
    I went and checked the old version master I did before and the vocals are much more crisp in that.

I'll give this another listen later though..

Hey Jamz,

Sorry you're having trouble playing the file. I did try to tame the sibilants a little more. Maybe I took it too far? Anyway, maybe I'll let you have a go at the latest mix. Your mastering skills are definately better than mine

DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/27 15:40:55 (permalink)
    Clark, something of this quality has to be critiqued by the masters ........so I'm just going to say that IMO everything is perfect . Beautiful work.

DuRod
    clarkeo
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/28 00:15:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DuRod

Clark, something of this quality has to be critiqued by the masters ........so I'm just going to say that IMO everything is perfect . Beautiful work.

DuRod

Thanks Duane. You know, after listening to something over and over tweaking this and that, after awhile you kind of lose your ears. That's why this forum is so cool, you can always count on someone to give you their opinion with less biased ears.

Clark

Modulation
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 492
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/28 03:16:12 (permalink)
    My Baby She Don't Love Me Anymore- Sounds really great to me. And I really like the song. The change was really awesome. I live in Chicago, so we get a little spoiled by cool blues clubs and lots of great live music. This song reminds me of one of those nights when I've really enjoyed listening to a great band. Very cool.

Amber-Again, sounds great. Nice piano and guitar intro. The horn was a really nice surprise. Again, it reminds of those awesome times at the Chicago music clubs. Kingston Mines comes to mind on this one.

What I like about both songs is they have stylistic elements (blues and reggae) , but with your own very nice musical twists.

I liked them both a lot. Excellent musicianship and everything else. Really awesome work.
    quange
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/28 04:12:31 (permalink)
    I love min 1.45 to 2.00 the best! Well done!
    Clear recording too. I think the reverb is too much though. Probably you want to create live kind of sound.

The organ chops rock!!!!

Sonar Tricks - Share your Sonar tips and tricks
    MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/28 04:42:57 (permalink)
    Nice song way too much reverb on the vocals. They need to be more upfront.

Max Arwood
    clarkeo
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/28 20:39:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Modulation

My Baby She Don't Love Me Anymore- Sounds really great to me. And I really like the song. The change was really awesome. I live in Chicago, so we get a little spoiled by cool blues clubs and lots of great live music. This song reminds me of one of those nights when I've really enjoyed listening to a great band. Very cool.

Amber-Again, sounds great. Nice piano and guitar intro. The horn was a really nice surprise. Again, it reminds of those awesome times at the Chicago music clubs. Kingston Mines comes to mind on this one.

What I like about both songs is they have stylistic elements (blues and reggae) , but with your own very nice musical twists.

I liked them both a lot. Excellent musicianship and everything else. Really awesome work.

Thanks Sandro. Baby... does kind of have a live vibe to it although it was all done in my project studio. Mark's guitar work on both of these really did make a very nice difference. I'm glad you liked them.

Clark

clarkeo
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/28 20:43:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: quange

I love min 1.45 to 2.00 the best! Well done!
    Clear recording too. I think the reverb is too much though. Probably you want to create live kind of sound.

The organ chops rock!!!!

Thanks for the compliment on the organ part. I'm glad you like the tunes. Are you referring to reverb on the vocals? I did want a little room effect in there. I did actually pull the reberb back a little from my previous mix. Thanks for commenting.

Clark

clarkeo
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/28 20:44:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MArwood

Nice song way too much reverb on the vocals. They need to be more upfront.

Max Arwood

Way too much on both tunes?

MArwood
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/28 22:36:32 (permalink)
    Both of these songs are really good!

My Baby She Don't Love Me Anymore - Vocals way way too much.

This one is better. Still too much. I love the trumpet and the timed echos on this one.

My Baby She Don't Love Me Anymore - If you are looking for a "distant large room sound" you could back up the vocal reverb and add a tiny bit more of that to the main outs.

Some predelay will allow more than the normal amount of reverb without sounding so distant. The vocals sound great, why do you want to cover them up with so much reverb? What do you have the sends set to? How many reverbs? Do you have a plate and a longer hall reverb? Which reverb plugins are they?

Bitflipper said that it sounds like live. Especially My Baby She Don't Love Me Anymore. It does to a degree, but from far away. If that's what you want you got it! I like the organ too!

The reverb in For Clara is just right!

Baby She Don't Love Me with Phil Chetcuti - Vocals same here as My Baby She Don't Love Me Anymore. Nice Rhodes/synths!

My Baby She Don't Love Me Anymore - This amount of reverb is rairely used as a vocal treatment, it could be called a special effect, or just your style, or when evened out a "live" recording. I guess my ears have been trained to hear less and less reverb through the last few years. Commercial recordings have become really dry.

Max Arwood

"Edited spelling"
    New Tag line so I won't have to keep typing this. I may or may not have edited this yet, but I probably need to.

< Message edited by MArwood -- 3/02/2525 3:45:05 AM >
    jayhill
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 578
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/29 13:47:24 (permalink)
    Clark,

Good work on this - it has a nice feel to it all the way through.

Like the organ, and the harmonies. Nice.

Jeff
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/29 14:36:52 (permalink)
    Really great songs....I'm not goin' to go over and over 'bout the reverb...but Amber is dreamy. Great mix and just great stuff overall...love how the guitars sneak in right after the vox...and man can Mark play!!...wow...love the change @ 230ish. very very impressive!!

got to add you to me favs!!
    Ben J Hayes
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/29 16:08:23 (permalink)
    Really enjoyed this one! Great organ sound and playing and some very layed back tasteful guitar playing.
    I agree that this sounds almost live which is pretty refreshing!

Ben
    clarkeo
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/29 18:47:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MArwood

Both of these songs are really good!

My Baby She Don't Love Me Anymore - Vocals way way too much. ...

Some predelay will allow more than the normal amount of reverb without sounding so distant. The vocals sound great, why do you want to cover them up with so much reverb? What do you have the sends set to? How many reverbs? Do you have a plate and a longer hall reverb? Which reverb plugins are they?......

Max Arwood

Max, here's are my reverb settings for Baby Don't Love Me...:

Vocals are routed to an effects bus. I have Perfect Space using a short clean plate impulse at 1.428s, .006 delay. Dry output at 1.2 db, wet output at -8.6 db. I also have a delay on the bus but it is just barely in the mix. I have the organ, rhodes, and guitar on a different bus with an Open sounding blues club impulse at 1.017s, dry 2.0db, wet -11.7db. The drums are on another bus with the the same reverb space impulse as the other instruments only at .0974s, 4db dry, -20.5db wet.

Clark
    post edited by clarkeo - 2008/01/29 19:32:16

clarkeo
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/29 19:25:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jayhill

Clark,

Good work on this - it has a nice feel to it all the way through.

Like the organ, and the harmonies. Nice.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

ORIGINAL: thepogue

...but Amber is dreamy. Great mix and just great stuff overall...love how the guitars sneak in right after the vox...and man can Mark play!!...wow...love the change @ 230ish. very very impressive!!

got to add you to me favs!!

Thanks Tom. Yeah, Mark really nailed it. Glad you liked it.

ORIGINAL: Ben J Hayes

Really enjoyed this one! Great organ sound and playing and some very layed back tasteful guitar playing.
    I agree that this sounds almost live which is pretty refreshing!

Thank you Ben. Mark is a great colab partner. Glad you liked the organ too.

Clark

MArwood
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/29 21:01:18 (permalink)
    I have Perfect Space using a short clean plate impulse at 1.428s, .006 delay. Dry output at 1.2 db, wet output at -8.6 db

On this plate I would typically have the wet between -20 and -30. You might want a little more for that "wet" special effect. I thought about the song some more. If you are looking for an effect like a sound byte from a movie... "A man and a lady are sitting at a bar.... the band is off at a distance..... The man starts talking to the lady" etc. I think you are very close to this sound. You would only need to turn the plate down on the singer till it sounds like he is singing with the band instead of singing from somewhere behind the band. You should also put him in the same room. A single perfect space would be good for this. That way you could use the AUX sends to adjust the amount of reverb, but whole band would all be in the same size room. You might want to experiment with a lower plate setting and then add the "room" to the singer too. That way he could have a plate to thicken the vocals but he could be in the same room as the rest of the band.

I hope you do not think I am trying to cut down your work. I am not. I would not go to the trouble to type all this stuff, if I did not really like the song! I think everything else about the song is great! One last thing, as you start turning down the reverb on the lead vocals, you will find that the vocal EQ will be much more critical.
    Are you doing a pop song or a movie sound byte?

Max Arwood

"Edited spelling"
    New Tag line so I won't have to keep typing this. I may or may not have edited this yet, but I probably need to.

MArwood
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/01/29 21:04:18 (permalink)
    Oh yea, I see where you stole my tag line and put your name in it! Looks like you changed the date too.

< Message edited by clarkeo -- 1/29/2008 6:32:16 PM >

Max Arwood

"Edited spelling"

clarkeo
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/02/03 09:01:51 (permalink)
    New mixes posted with dryer vocal mix. I think I like the dryer vocals better. Thanks for the comments. Let me know if these are better.

Thanks,

Clark

tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/02/03 09:55:58 (permalink)
    Clark, I really like what you've done with My Baby. Nice work. Amber sounded muffled to me. I had written up my suggestions and before posting I saw you had uploaded revisions. Much improved. I don’t know what you did but you fixed it.. These are really good songs. Cool lyrics on Amber, I really like those.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/02/03 17:07:46 (permalink)
    These sound good to my ears and on my monitors Clark! Amber is my favorite of the two. I agree, I like the dry vocals too.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    clarkeo
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/02/03 19:27:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tdye

Clark, I really like what you've done with My Baby. Nice work. Amber sounded muffled to me. I had written up my suggestions and before posting I saw you had uploaded revisions. Much improved. I don’t know what you did but you fixed it.. These are really good songs. Cool lyrics on Amber, I really like those.

Thanks Tom. I updated Amber again-this time a JamzOR mastered version--much better IMO. The version you commented on was prior to that so check out Jamz version. I'm out of bandwidth on yousendit.com or I would have had him do Baby as well.

Clark

clarkeo
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/02/03 19:30:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lhansen

These sound good to my ears and on my monitors Clark! Amber is my favorite of the two. I agree, I like the dry vocals too.

Thank you Larry. They're very different from each other. Thanks for listening. Check out the new JamzOR master.

Clark

tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/02/03 22:20:51 (permalink)
    Clark, Amber is really a great song. I just love the lyrics, melody, the whole mood of the song. The JamzOR production is top shelf as usual. Very nicely done.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    MArwood
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/02/03 22:45:40 (permalink)
    Wow, that "My Baby She Don't Love Me Anymore" is much better. Amber still has a little too much reverb. Have you ever tried to put EQ on the reverb? The voice in Amber has a hollowness to it because of the reverb. There are a couple of ways to fix it. One would be to turn it down just a bit more. Another way would be to find that "hollow" frequency and just bring down that frequency with an EQ just after the reverb. A third would be to cut the reverb "WAY" down and substitute an echo the help make the vocals fuller, instead of using so much reverb. I almost forgot, the bass drum in "My Baby She Don't Love Me Anymore" could use a little push at 4K to clear up the beater sound.

I had a guy that does pro drums/drum editing tell me a secret about drums once.
    I can't tell everyone so I gotta use a sekret encoder to write the rest -> Press CTRL-A to see the secret message.

When a song is fast the bass drum sample has to be shorter to keep it punchy. As a song tempo slows down you can use a longer sample with more of that boom to fill the space.

It's sounding really great!
    Max Arwood
    post edited by MArwood - 2008/02/03 23:01:53

"Edited spelling"

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: I think these are finally done 2008/05/30 17:29:58 (permalink)
    Sorry to dig up this old post, I missed it when I was down and out those few months. Thanks everyone for the compliments and thanks Clark for letting me work on these with you.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1