I want to keep using SONAR as is...What's the best way forward?

Author
SiberianKhatru59
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 235
2017/11/22 23:34:19 (permalink)

I want to keep using SONAR as is...What's the best way forward?

Okay now that the reality is said in I have a question or two. I would like to keep using Sonar as I really do like using it. I'm also fine with it staying just the way it is. After all I paid dearly for it!

So then, what is the best way to keep SONAR up and running given the current situation? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but it's just something I'm not up to speed on. Do I use the command center? Or not? Do I just run the command file (.exe) itself?

Through my ownership of SONAR, I also own TH3 (the full version) Rematrix (the full version) and XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2 plus SofTube's Channel Strip suite. Is this all going to work going forward in another DAW like Rapper should SONAR proves non viable?

Sorry for all the questions, but what's a hobbyist to do when a mega corporation makes a stupid decision that dumps crap down on them totally unexpectedly?

SONAR Platinum, Win7 Home Premium 64bit, Sweetwater Creation Station CS250v21 (Ivy Bridge Core i5 3.4Ghz CPU, 12GB DDR3/1600Mhz RAM, 500GB/1TB Seagate Barracuda system/audio drives, SATA 6.0, USB 3.0), M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB, 2x KRK Rokit 5's, Yamaha MO8

8 Replies Related Threads

THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: I want to keep using SONAR as is...What's the best way forward? 2017/11/23 01:34:09 (permalink)
    SONAR ends at this moment where the authorization servers are dead.
    You need to re-authorize when you change hardware, get a great microsoft update (creators update), or your computer changes the dynamic IP-Adress in a network.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    GjB
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 197
    Re: I want to keep using SONAR as is...What's the best way forward? 2017/11/23 01:45:51 (permalink)
    I think you received a good answer there.
    I'd also like to keep using Sonar as is. So, I'm curious too if there might be any adjustments to the authorization needs of the software for owners in the future.
    I expect the good Cakewalk folks will let us know the best way to think about these things, in good time.

The Computer Mouse (web)
    Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
    Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: I want to keep using SONAR as is...What's the best way forward? 2017/11/23 02:21:47 (permalink)
    One thing to consider is drive imaging software.
    I use Macrium Reflect ( the free version ) and it's awesome.
    This eliminates any problem with needing to re install Splat.

I could replace my hard drive, then restore my Macrium Image to the new hard drive and I'd be back up and running with everything exactly like it was when I made the image.

Have 1 dedicated OS installation (partition) for music work only.

Isolate your DAW partition from the internet in a way that you never get windows updates.
    Been doing that for 3 yrs. or more with no problems at all with Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    and quite a bit longer than that when I was only running Sonar 4 on XP 32bit.

Never had a problem because of not getting Windows updates.

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    looneymusic
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re: I want to keep using SONAR as is...What's the best way forward? 2017/11/23 02:26:32 (permalink)
    THambrecht
    You need to re-authorize when you change hardware, get a great microsoft update (creators update), or your computer changes the dynamic IP-Adress in a network.

Only if what is left of Cakewalk/Gibson is looking to get sued into oblivion. 

"SONAR now boasts a powerful new line up designed to meet the needs of any musician, regardless of skill level or budget. You always get the latest and greatest version no matter when you make your purchase. In addition, enjoy 12 months of rolling updates and keep everything you received - forever."

The license for a fully-paid-for version of Sonar is perpetual - that means it never ends, which means you can use Sonar so long as you have hardware that it will run on - until the end of time. 
    hbarton
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re: I want to keep using SONAR as is...What's the best way forward? 2017/11/23 02:33:45 (permalink)
    looneymusic
    THambrecht

"SONAR now boasts a powerful new line up designed to meet the needs of any musician, regardless of skill level or budget. You always get the latest and greatest version no matter when you make your purchase. In addition, enjoy 12 months of rolling updates and keep everything you received - forever."

The license for a fully-paid-for version of Sonar is perpetual - that means it never ends, which means you can use Sonar so long as you have hardware that it will run on - until the end of time. 

Might want to get a "official" hard copy of that off the server before it disappears - just saying.....

h
    gprokap
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re: I want to keep using SONAR as is...What's the best way forward? 2017/11/23 03:05:21 (permalink)
    looneymusic

They're half a billion in debt, how far away are they from oblivion now?
    deswind
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 952
    Re: I want to keep using SONAR as is...What's the best way forward? 2017/11/23 03:28:17 (permalink)
    When the twinkie was in danger a company came to the rescue to carry on the Hostess brand.  It is hard to believe that Sonar is not more valuable than a twinkie!  
    h3kke
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re: I want to keep using SONAR as is...What's the best way forward? 2017/11/23 03:33:36 (permalink)
    I hope that these fears turn out to be unwarranted.  Gibson as a company still exists and still surely has servers or cloud space.  If Gibson declares bankruptcy I'd be more worried.  But as-is, I think they'll figure out a way to keep the servers for the Command Center running.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1