I was listening to this album last night....

Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2009/03/11 15:03:48 (permalink)

1970: Naturally
it was their 4th album, i believe.
cover shot was done on the North shore of Oahu, HI

quite the hodgepodge of songs.....
producer's choice, i'm sure.

i remember that i was most impressed with the drummer, floyd sneed.
he never used a click.
and man, what a pocket groove, he was having to battle with 3 singers, instead of just one, who wanted the feel of the song to be 3 different ways.
Floyd was the inventor of the rock n roll drumbeat that has the ride cymbal playing on the "and" (upbeats), while the snare does the back beat on 2 and 4.
LOL

joe schermie, the king of how to leave holes and create air space in arrangments.

some wiki notes:

The band started in 1968 with three lead vocalists, Danny Hutton, Chuck Negron, and Cory Wells who landed a recording contract with Dunhill Records in Los Angeles. They had made some early recordings in 1967 with Brian Wilson, and initially went by the name Redwood. Shortly after abandoning the Redwood moniker, the vocalists hired a group of backing musicians Michael Allsup on guitar, Floyd Sneed on drums, Joe Schermie from the Cory Wells Blues Band on bass, and Jimmy Greenspoon on keyboards and soon became one of the most successful bands in the US during the late 1960s and early 1970s. On a number of early recordings as Three Dog Night one of their in-studio background singers was Donna Gaines, who would later find stardom on her own as Donna Summer.

Three Dog Night earned 13 gold albums and recorded 21 Billboard Top 40 hits, 7 of which went gold. Their first gold record was "One" (US #5), which had been written and recorded by Harry Nilsson. They had three U.S. number one songs: "Mama Told Me Not to Come" ,which was also their only Top 10 hit in the UK, "Joy to the World" and "Black and White". Dunhill Records claimed 40 million LP units were sold by them during that time period.

Three Dog Night covered songs by Randy Newman "Mama Told Me Not to Come", Laura Nyro "Eli's Coming" (US #10), Russ Ballard of Argent "Liar" (US #7), Hoyt Axton "Joy to the World", Elton John and Bernie Taupin ("Lady Samantha" & "Your Song"), John Hiatt "Sure As I'm Sittin' Here" (US #16) and Leo Sayer "The Show Must Go On" (US #4). Elton John later credited their cover of "Your Song" with being a major factor in catapulting him to stardom. They also popularized songs by Paul Williams "An Old Fashioned Love Song" (US#4) and "Out in the Country" (US #15) as well as Easy to be Hard from the musical Hair

Original bassist Joe Schermie died on March 26, 2002

In the pilot episode of That 70's Show, during the credits the gang is seen singing "Out In The Country".

vocalist Danny Hutton’s then-girlfriend June Fairchild thought of the name when she read a magazine article about indigenous Australians, in which it was explained that on cold nights they would customarily sleep in a hole in the ground while embracing a dingo, a native species of wild dog. On colder nights they would sleep with two dogs, and if a night was especially cold, it was a "Three Dog Night"
post edited by batsbrew - 2009/03/11 16:00:19

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

7 Replies Related Threads

Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: I was listening to this album last night.... 2009/03/11 20:15:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: batsbrew

1970: Naturally
    it was their 4th album, i believe.
    cover shot was done on the North shore of Oahu, HI

quite the hodgepodge of songs.....
    producer's choice, i'm sure.

i remember that i was most impressed with the drummer, floyd sneed.
    he never used a click.
    and man, what a pocket groove, he was having to battle with 3 singers, instead of just one, who wanted the feel of the song to be 3 different ways.
    Floyd was the inventor of the rock n roll drumbeat that has the ride cymbal playing on the "and" (upbeats), while the snare does the back beat on 2 and 4.
    LOL

joe schermie, the king of how to leave holes and create air space in arrangments.

some wiki notes:

The band started in 1968 with three lead vocalists, Danny Hutton, Chuck Negron, and Cory Wells who landed a recording contract with Dunhill Records in Los Angeles. They had made some early recordings in 1967 with Brian Wilson, and initially went by the name Redwood. Shortly after abandoning the Redwood moniker, the vocalists hired a group of backing musicians Michael Allsup on guitar, Floyd Sneed on drums, Joe Schermie from the Cory Wells Blues Band on bass, and Jimmy Greenspoon on keyboards and soon became one of the most successful bands in the US during the late 1960s and early 1970s. On a number of early recordings as Three Dog Night one of their in-studio background singers was Donna Gaines, who would later find stardom on her own as Donna Summer.

Three Dog Night earned 13 gold albums and recorded 21 Billboard Top 40 hits, 7 of which went gold. Their first gold record was "One" (US #5), which had been written and recorded by Harry Nilsson. They had three U.S. number one songs: "Mama Told Me Not to Come" ,which was also their only Top 10 hit in the UK, "Joy to the World" and "Black and White". Dunhill Records claimed 40 million LP units were sold by them during that time period.

Three Dog Night covered songs by Randy Newman "Mama Told Me Not to Come", Laura Nyro "Eli's Coming" (US #10), Russ Ballard of Argent "Liar" (US #7), Hoyt Axton "Joy to the World", Elton John and Bernie Taupin ("Lady Samantha" & "Your Song"), John Hiatt "Sure As I'm Sittin' Here" (US #16) and Leo Sayer "The Show Must Go On" (US #4). Elton John later credited their cover of "Your Song" with being a major factor in catapulting him to stardom. They also popularized songs by Paul Williams "An Old Fashioned Love Song" (US#4) and "Out in the Country" (US #15) as well as Easy to be Hard from the musical Hair

Original bassist Joe Schermie died on March 26, 2002

In the pilot episode of That 70's Show, during the credits the gang is seen singing "Out In The Country".

vocalist Danny Hutton’s then-girlfriend June Fairchild thought of the name when she read a magazine article about indigenous Australians, in which it was explained that on cold nights they would customarily sleep in a hole in the ground while embracing a dingo, a native species of wild dog. On colder nights they would sleep with two dogs, and if a night was especially cold, it was a "Three Dog Night"

Hi, batsbrew,

There was a recent thread called "Best/Worst Live Shows" (or something close to that). In that thread I listed Three Dog Night as one of the all-time best rock shows I've ever seen. I saw them in about 1969 when they were the opening act for the way more famous band, Steppenwolf.

Three Dog Night put on a show that blew my mind, a flat out smoking hot rock and roll show with spectacular vocals. Despite the fact that few people had heard of them at this point, they had the entire L.A. Forum on it's feet for their entire set. The fact that I remember their show to this day, 30 years later, says something about how good this band was live, at least in their early days. I guess drugs took their toll eventually and tore the band apart. But when they were on the rise, they were as powerful and impressive as any other major rock band I've ever seen. And I've seen quite a few.....

I realize that there are probably a lot of folks out there that are thinking "Three Dog Night?!!, he must be kidding." Nope. You had to see this band in it's prime to understand. I know that they were mainly known for pop songs, but they really were a smoking hot rock band. Ah, the memories..... ;>)

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: I was listening to this album last night.... 2009/03/11 22:21:21 (permalink)
    Kind of reminds me of my ancient post here:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1515066&mpage=1&key=supertramp�

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    batsbrew
    RE: I was listening to this album last night.... 2009/03/12 11:02:57 (permalink)
    yeah, kinda.

but not exactly.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: I was listening to this album last night.... 2009/03/12 11:09:24 (permalink)
    A buddy of mine managed them.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: I was listening to this album last night.... 2009/03/12 11:15:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: batsbrew

yeah, kinda.

but not exactly.

only sort of
    batsbrew
    RE: I was listening to this album last night.... 2009/03/12 12:22:18 (permalink)
    some info on the producer:

Richard Podolor, who is also known as Richie Podolor or Richard Allen, produced hits including "Joy to the World" by Three Dog Night and "Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf. His early hits were as guitarist and co-writer on the drummer Sandy Nelson's records. He co-composed Teen Beat (1959) but was not credited; this was rectified for later hits, including the formidable Let There Be Drums (1961). Later he was engineer on records by The Electric Prunes.

Together with his brother, Don Podolor, and mother, Ethel Podolor, the family started the American Entertainment and American Recording Company.

Podolor was schooled in classical piano, but later switched to classical guitar, becoming a protégé of Vicente Gomez. In 1956 he was signed by Fabor Robinson (owner of the Abbott, Fabor and Radio labels), initially as a session guitarist, and in that same year, he played on his first hit record, Bonnie Guitar's "Dark Moon". In 1958, Radio released one of the few vocal records by Podolor, the self-penned ballad "She's My Baby", which was coupled with the rocker "I Love You Girl" (Radio 116, credited to Dickie Podolor).

Throughout the 1960s Richie found himself in the studio either as an engineer or as a musician with such acts as the Monkees, the Turtles, the Electric Prunes, the Grateful Dead and Donovan. He got his first official producer's job at the dawn of the 1970s with Steppenwolf and Three Dog Night. This last group had already scored five big hits when Podolor took over production duties from Gabriel Mekler. The first Three Dog Night single that Richie produced, Randy Newman's "Mama Told Me Not To Come", went to # 1in mid-1970. This was followed by 13 further Top 20 singles and two more number ones for Three Dog Night, all produced by Podolor.

In 1970, he was ranked by Billboard as the # 4 producer in the country. Other acts that he worked with include Blues Image, Iron Butterfly, the Dillards, John Kay, 20/20, Black Oak Arkansas, Phil Seymour and Billy Burnette ("Try Me" album, 1985). Along with his lifelong friend and engineer Bill Cooper, Podolor has kept American Recording Company (in Woodland Hills, California) and his production career humming along until his recent retirement.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: I was listening to this album last night.... 2009/03/12 16:16:27 (permalink)
    My buddy was also one of the producers of this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoCRgcKqb8M

And happened to be with Keith Moon the night he od'd.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1