I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs

Author
roomx
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 162
2005/03/27 07:55:33 (permalink)

I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs

I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs (no metal/hip-hop/classical/instrumentals a.s.o.)

I will only review finished songs.
Pick one of your songs only for critics/reviewing.

Include in your info/reply (links without these will not be reviewed):

1. Working streaming link of one song only:
2. Genre and influences
3. Lyrics.
4. Instruments/ gear used.

I will give scores from 1 to 10 on the following:

1. Melody
2. Vocals
3. Instrumentation
4. Lyrics
5. Quality of mix
6. Overall impression

Looking forward to hear some quality rock and pop. J

R²OS is at:
Streaming 128:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/r2osmusic.htm
Download 320:
http://www.r2os.com/r2osmusic1.html
post edited by roomx - 2005/03/27 07:56:16

24 Replies Related Threads

burkek
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/27 09:19:37 (permalink)
    Isn't this more than a bit pretentious? I mean, your recent review of 'Comfortably Numb', in it's entirety, was, "Yeah. It's great!".

People don't necessarily know who your are, your experience, your qualifications, your influences, your musical preferences, age, dislikes, biases. You didn't set the stage for these reviews, only provided your demands as what constitutes acceptable to you.

This whole forum is about reviewing other people's work - let's not elevate this to relishing a review from a particular writer. We all have something to say, and it's all relevant.

Just a thought ..

KEv

www.kevinburke.ca

Macbook Pro 2017 | 4K monitor 
    AKAI S5000 x 3 | Korg Prophecy/Poly-61M | Alesis S4+/DM5 | Ensoniq Mirage x 2, ASR-10 | EMU e6400 | Roland S750 | Kawai K4r/XD-5/K3m | EMU Proformance/1+ | Waldorf uQ

roomx
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/27 09:30:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: elektroniqa

Isn't this more than a bit pretentious? I mean, your recent review of 'Comfortably Numb', in it's entirety, was, "Yeah. It's great!".

People don't necessarily know who your are, your experience, your qualifications, your influences, your musical preferences, age, dislikes, biases. You didn't set the stage for these reviews, only provided your demands as what constitutes acceptable to you.

This whole forum is about reviewing other people's work - let's not elevate this to relishing a review from a particular writer. We all have something to say, and it's all relevant.

Just a thought ..

KEv

You got a good point there.
    So here is a little bit about myself:
    1. amateur musician, guitarist. Plays other instruments as well, not drums, though.
    2. My influences: XTC, Beatles, Tom Waits, Pixies, Joni Mitchell
    3. Age 33
    4. Not much music I dislike. That must be music without feelings to it.

As you said, "We all have something to say, and it's all relevant." Well, if there is anyone out there whom still are interested in my subjective reviewing, feel free to reply.
    6stringsat100mph
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1385
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/27 09:58:45 (permalink)
    OK I will give you a look see...(see if you give me good reviews before I say if you know what your talking about...he he) My tune is Something New its on my soundclick site and it is guitars strats pod for guts Bass Ibanez cheapie direct box BBE DI-100X, shure ksm32 condenser mic, fw 410 drums were done via battery and some different samples, piano is a Giga B piano into a nady console and into winXP home....
    Now go listen dammit
    Oh yea...I sing all of it and play all the instruments...
    post edited by 6stringsat100mph - 2005/03/27 09:59:19
    roomx
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/27 10:40:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 6stringsat100mph

OK I will give you a look see...(see if you give me good reviews before I say if you know what your talking about...he he) My tune is Something New its on my soundclick site and it is guitars strats pod for guts Bass Ibanez cheapie direct box BBE DI-100X, shure ksm32 condenser mic, fw 410 drums were done via battery and some different samples, piano is a Giga B piano into a nady console and into winXP home....
    Now go listen dammit
    Oh yea...I sing all of it and play all the instruments...

He he, thanks

Can't get into soundclick right now. I'll get back to it...
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/27 12:06:35 (permalink)
    click this....
    nevermind

there ya go..on a silver platter
    post edited by 6stringsat100mph - 2005/03/27 12:07:22
    Zeplin
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 221
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/28 10:29:58 (permalink)
    I dont see the point in having to give you all that info :s Does it somehow make the recording better if you know what gear was used? Does it make the singer better if you can see if you understood what he said be reading a lyric sheet (which no one else would normally have)? Why should people tell you their influences? Isn't that up to you to say, what it sounds like, if it DOES even sound like anyone special?

http://www.mentalmirage.com
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/28 11:12:38 (permalink)
    hey guys take it easy on this dude.....It seems to me he is a guy that is new and just wants to offer his time and ears to our songs and is just trying to be a bit organized and thorough. No problems. I would imagine if you dont want to give him the requested info then just move on and dont.
    Lets keep this songs forum a comfortable place......CoffeeHouse is just over to the right.
    mark
    roomx
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/28 12:25:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Zeplin

I dont see the point in having to give you all that info :s Does it somehow make the recording better if you know what gear was used? Does it make the singer better if you can see if you understood what he said be reading a lyric sheet (which no one else would normally have)? Why should people tell you their influences? Isn't that up to you to say, what it sounds like, if it DOES even sound like anyone special?

So what you're saying is something like. Steen: "You're stupid because this is not the way we are used to do things 'round here.I don't know you, so you got nothing to say here."

Well, I have only been here for the last couple of years. First in the newsgroup and now here. (changed my username, though).

But it should not matter if you're a newbie or anything. This is not your own newspaper where you are the editor, it's not a private forum either.

post edited by roomx - 2005/03/28 13:19:03
    roomx
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/28 13:05:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 6stringsat100mph

hey guys take it easy on this dude.....It seems to me he is a guy that is new and just wants to offer his time and ears to our songs and is just trying to be a bit organized and thorough. No problems. I would imagine if you dont want to give him the requested info then just move on and dont.
    Lets keep this songs forum a comfortable place......CoffeeHouse is just over to the right.
    mark

"It seems to me he is a guy that is new and just wants to offer his time and ears to our songs and is just trying to be a bit organized and thorough."

Yes, that is my point exactly. (though I'm not new here.)

post edited by roomx - 2005/03/28 13:06:03
    Zeplin
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/28 14:14:34 (permalink)
    Sorry roomx, I never tried to attack you, but right now what you said was stupid and ignorant. It had NOTHING to do with what I wrote. Read it again, I give examples for everything I wrote. If you have your reasons, you could have just said why that info was so important to you, instead of attacking me. I dont care if your new or not, who gives a crap, but seriously... read before you reply.

roomx
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/28 14:31:23 (permalink)

Sorry roomx, I never tried to attack you, but right now what you said was stupid and ignorant. It had NOTHING to do with what I wrote. Read it again, I give examples for everything I wrote. If you have your reasons, you could have just said why that info was so important to you, instead of attacking me. I dont care if your new or not, who gives a crap, but seriously... read before you reply.

No no no. I didn't say you were stupid...
    I was refering to what I thought you meant when replying to me in your first post:'
    I would never call anyone stupid. Try to read my post again...

"So what you're saying is something like: "You're stupid because this is not the way we are used to do things 'round here.I don't know you, so you got nothing to say here."
    roomx
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/28 14:45:43 (permalink)

"Does it somehow make the recording better if you know what gear was used?"
    It is interesting for me (and maybe others) so see what people get out of their gear. Sometimes people can make a great production with almost nothing at all. Also does it give me ideas of what equipment to look out for.

"Does it make the singer better if you can see if you understood what he said be reading a lyric sheet (which no one else would normally have)?"
    Yes, for me (and maybe others) the lyrics are an important part of the song.

"Why should people tell you their influences?"
    It's interesting for me (and maybe others) to hear the artists influences. What do he/she listens to gives me another personal insight. And getting to know people is not that bad, actually.

Sorry if you feel I insulted you, didn't mean to.

Good luck with your music and art.

Regards from Østerbro

Zeplin
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/28 16:32:20 (permalink)
    Likewise (on the insult part).

I think your just worded your first post a little badly. Because if you need to write a review, and rate it, it shouldn't matter what gear was used, only what the end result is, no? So if you merely wanted to know out of curiosity, maybe you should have said so. The same goes for the influences (more or less).
    What I meant with the lyrics: We all agree that lyrics are an important part (I hope). But when READING a review, or hearing that song, I (as the normal "outside" person) wont have those lyrics. So if your reviewing a song, it shouldn't be reviewed on "how good it COULD be if the lyrics were sung so I could understand them without reading a lyrics sheet" but on what you can hear without the lyric sheet. If you need to review it, you have to put yourself in the shoes of the rest of the people in the world thats going to listen to that song. The rest of us wont know the gear, wont know the influences and wont have a lyrics sheet. All we have is the recording, and I'm just saying thats all you should be reviewing. Eh, make more sense?

6stringsat100mph
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/28 17:07:18 (permalink)
    I think your just worded your first post a little badly. Because if you need to write a review, and rate it, it shouldn't matter what gear was used, only what the end result is, no? So if you merely wanted to know out of curiosity, maybe you should have said so. The same goes for the influences (more or less).
    What I meant with the lyrics: We all agree that lyrics are an important part (I hope). But when READING a review, or hearing that song, I (as the normal "outside" person) wont have those lyrics. So if your reviewing a song, it shouldn't be reviewed on "how good it COULD be if the lyrics were sung so I could understand them without reading a lyrics sheet" but on what you can hear without the lyric sheet. If you need to review it, you have to put yourself in the shoes of the rest of the people in the world thats going to listen to that song. The rest of us wont know the gear, wont know the influences and wont have a lyrics sheet. All we have is the recording, and I'm just saying thats all you should be reviewing. Eh, make more sense?

Sorry to but in....however, NO it does not make more sense. Zep these are the ways YOU would rather have had him ask his questions? I mean, you felt that he should have maybe said things differently or worded his post differently? Come on Zep....who (excuse the curtness of this please) the FOCK put you in charge. My friend people can post any damn well way they please......if it is not in a format you can relate to then shove off. No offence but Jeeez...whats the deal?
    Mark
    Zeplin
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/28 17:20:06 (permalink)
    No offense? Heh, now thats a laugh.

Anyway, no one put me in charge. I'm not saying he has to do things my way. I'm not saying he is doing anything against board regulations. You'd have to be (excuse the curtness of this please) an idiot to think that I am somehow now saying that I am the allmeighty know-it-all of these boards. Of course I'm not. All I've said is what >>I<< feel would be the best way to go about something. How I think he would have gotten better feedback. How he would have gotten a better response. I'm terribly sorry if I somehow offended you mate, but read just the first line again:
    "I think you just worded your first post a little badly." Now, if I knew it all, and my way was the absolute right way, I would have said "You worded your first post the wrong way."
    So please dont start attacking me, cursing, and honestly looking like a jack***. It seems me and roomx have already gotten past that a few posts back, why can't you?
    Of course everyone says what THEY feel is right. Everyone does. Most of us also know that our way isn't always the right way, but we THINK it is (otherwise we wouldn't believe in it).
    Now I'll gladly say AGAIN, that I meant no offense. I'll also clearly state for those that didn't get it the first time around, that OF COURSE what I'm typing is MY oppinion. I was, again, merely saying how >>I<< thought he could have improved his post, and how he could have gotten better feedback.
    Now I sincerely hope, 6strings, that you can now cool down a bit and look it over again. No trouble is wanted, nor WAS wanted. Perhaps re-read things a bit and see that I didn't mean any offense, nor said that he did things in an ultimate WRONG way. I'm sorry, I thought it was a good thing to bring up ways to improve one another.

6stringsat100mph
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/28 18:55:20 (permalink)
    Your a funny kid Zeplin....You really think I was like, ummm really all pissed off and stuff huh? Thats what you think? Your a funny kid Zep...funny kid.
    Mark

EDIT: I reread the entire thread and as I said before "Zep, your a funny kid"
    post edited by 6stringsat100mph - 2005/03/28 18:57:46
    roomx
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/28 20:04:45 (permalink)

Likewise (on the insult part).

Add signature |

". But when READING a review, or hearing that song, I (as the normal "outside" person) wont have those lyrics."
    If you buy an album you can (most of the time) read the lyrics, or the lyrics could be attached to the mp3 (I do this with all my music). Anyway, I review the songs I choose to, the lyric sheet will help me get the broader picture. And it's not said that hearing all that is said/written is the idea of the song, poetry comes in many forms.

"...because if you need to write a review, and rate it, it shouldn't matter what gear was used, only what the end result is, no? So if you merely wanted to know out of curiosity, maybe you should have said so."

Again, knowing more about an artist gives me a broader view on making a review. And why is it important to you if it's out of curiosity, interest or anything else?

I have nothing against you having your say in this matter, but it seems to me unnesessary and unpolite to post a negative reply to a positive thread.
    "How I think he would have gotten better feedback. How he would have gotten a better response." you say. I think I would have gotten more response without the negative feedback from some of the users here. This is a thread for music feedback.

As "6stringsat100mph" said and it's true:
    "He just wants to offer his time and ears to our songs and is just trying to be a bit organized and thorough"
    I will try to rephrase my review post next time, so that more people get this point.

This cartoon sums it up:
    Henpecking
    post edited by roomx - 2005/03/28 20:10:03
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/29 10:49:55 (permalink)
    I have one song at the soundclick site in my signature.

Influences & Genre - Van Morrison ? maybe I dunno - never know how to define genre - my stuff - it is all over the place.

Drums - NS7 kit, Session Drummer and Battery
    Guitars - POD XT
    Bass - Bass --> DI ---> ART TPS tube amp --> aardvark 24/96
    Vocals - Alesis AM61 ---> ART TPS tube amp --> aardvark 24/96

Lyrics - I believe they are easy enough to hear - usually not criticized for unintelligible lyrics etc.

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    roomx
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/29 17:15:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: auto_da_fe

Influences & Genre - Van Morrison ? maybe I dunno - never know how to define genre - my stuff - it is all over the place.

Guitars - POD XT

Lyrics - I believe they are easy enough to hear - usually not criticized for unintelligible lyrics etc.

JR
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/airportface.htm

Got it. Will review it as soon as I have the time.

Thanks
    post edited by roomx - 2005/03/29 18:05:18
    roomx
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/29 17:58:07 (permalink)

Guitars - POD XT

JR

This is my subjective, non proffesional opinion:

1. Melody
    8- Great melody. Really great. Love it. You say Van Morrison, I say Bob Dylan. Great tune. One verse to long maybe? One of the best tunes I've heard so far in reviewing songs.

2. Vocals
    8 Great vocal. Fits the tune perfect. Maybe you could, in one of the verses or choruses surprise us with going an octave up?

3. Instrumentation
    6 The guitars and piano: Great. Again, suits the song perfect. Drums, not good. To little flow. The crashes are terrible. Alomst ruins the song for me. The bass, well, I think you play to many notes on it. Maybe typical of guitarists playing bass, try to make it more simple, I think it will the suit the song great. And you also makes some mistakes at the bass, "play it again, Sam..."

4. Lyrics
    7+ Again. The Bob Dylan type of looking around and see what's happening. I feel like sitting in a barber shop somewhere looking out of the window, talking to the woman in the song....

5. Quality of mix
    7- Well, if it was not for the drums, I would have given you higher rating. Very tidy and well produced exept for the drums.

6. Overall impression
    8--

Great song, great lyrics, great melody, nice mix. This is a classic, relaxing, american tune. Everybody else out there, grab a beer, find the good chair on the porch, turn off the TV and listen to this song and dream of summer...
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/airportfacemusic.htm

Feeling:
    http://www.kathyjonesstudio.com/figures/Relaxing_on_Porch.jpg

Looking forward the hear more from you...

post edited by roomx - 2005/03/29 18:06:46
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/30 21:12:40 (permalink)
    Thanks a bunch for the really positive feedback !

To be compared to Dylan was really uncalled for, but I will bask in the compliment all the same.

Drums and bass have always been my achille's heel. You are so correct in that I play bass like a guitar player, and when I program drums I really haven't a clue. Though my drummer friends have said I am getting better.

p.s. the Woman in the song is a Hurricane named Francis that came very close to my house last summer. (I live in Florida) I assumed, wrongly, that just because the news story was wall to wall in the US it would be the same in Europe.

My goal is to keep honing these songs and then get real musicians to record them in a real studio someday.

I have some more stuff coming down the road soon, so I will look for your comments when I post.

Again, thanks for your time.

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    roomx
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/31 04:52:12 (permalink)

Thanks a bunch for the really positive feedback !

To be compared to Dylan was really uncalled for, but I will bask in the compliment all the same.

Drums and bass have always been my achille's heel. You are so correct in that I play bass like a guitar player, and when I program drums I really haven't a clue. Though my drummer friends have said I am getting better.

p.s. the Woman in the song is a Hurricane named Francis that came very close to my house last summer. (I live in Florida) I assumed, wrongly, that just because the news story was wall to wall in the US it would be the same in Europe.

My goal is to keep honing these songs and then get real musicians to record them in a real studio someday.

I have some more stuff coming down the road soon, so I will look for your comments when I post.

Again, thanks for your time.

JR

The lyrics; ha ha, a hurricane. he he.
    Well, there you see. We all have put our own feelings, life experiences and meanings when listening to, or viewing, art...

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Hope you will comment on my song in the thread, "New Song R2OS, comments & advice" as well...

See you round

xavier onassis
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/31 09:35:08 (permalink)
    Lets keep this songs forum a comfortable place

he says--and then precedes to tell zep to f..k off. You are a piece of work Mark. Everywhere I go you are screwing up somebody's head. Zep is a real nice kid. Live and let live. ha..ha...ha.... did you really thing I..was...pissed off at you Mark... come on man. Can't you take a joke? I don't really think you are a loser.. wait, did I spill that rite. ha...ha....haa who made you the foram palice. how much duz spillcheck cost....ha..haa...haaaaaa.....this is so funny.....bet you can't let this one pass...haa..hha...haaaa...this is so much fun.......waht? Mommy? I'm comin' ha..ha...ha......

People who are raised in meager circumstances and have to work for everything they acquire end up with much more than those to whom it is handed on a silver platter.
    We grow strong in our struggles.

michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs 2005/03/31 09:38:27 (permalink)
    who (excuse the curtness of this please) the FOCK put you in charge. My friend people can post any damn well way they please......if it is not in a format you can relate to then shove off.

now doesn't that just make you feel warm all over. God I love this forum.

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1