I would like to test my monitors!!

Author
rbutchie
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
2009/05/16 15:18:58 (permalink)

I would like to test my monitors!!

A couple of questions for all the guru's!!

1. I currently monitor (Sonar) through a couple of M-Audio BX5a's (bought used) and I think my mixes/sounds are thin in the bass realm---So what I want to do is import a (pro) song into sonar and listen to what comes out for a reference. So my question is how do you do this?

2. I have mediaplayer etc. on my desktop (DAW only machine) but it still plays through some cheap PC speaker's (internal soundcard still on--Line6 Toneport is my Sonar soundcard)---so I can't just play something that way, Question is: does this setup sound contadictory and should I disable the internal or will it not matter?

I hope I am being clear!!

Thanx Butch

I7 2.67 Ghz--9GB RAM / Win 7 / Sonar X1 Expanded / Roland Octacapture / Superior 2.0 / Ezdrummer / Ezplayer

8 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: I would like to test my monitors!! 2009/05/17 07:18:24 (permalink)
    Import an audio file of your choice. It's that simple.
    Disable the onboard sound chip if you need to use ASIO dfrivers. They only support one soundcard at a time. Most recommend disabling it anyway.
    post edited by Kalle Rantaaho - 2009/05/17 07:29:09

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: I would like to test my monitors!! 2009/05/17 10:08:43 (permalink)
    Yes, its that easy, just import it into sonar using the import menu. Then make sure you have it outputted to your main outs, not the master bus. MAIN OUTS!!!!!

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    rbutchie
    RE: I would like to test my monitors!! 2009/05/17 10:19:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

Yes, its that easy, just import it into sonar using the import menu. Then make sure you have it outputted to your main outs, not the master bus. MAIN OUTS!!!!!

Roger---master bus----JK

Disable the onboard sound chip if you need to use ASIO dfrivers. They only support one soundcard at a time. Most recommend disabling it anyway.

Yes I use ASIO for the dual tone thingy---what kinda problems might I have though--latency? cpu usage? because it has been this way for months!!

I7 2.67 Ghz--9GB RAM / Win 7 / Sonar X1 Expanded / Roland Octacapture / Superior 2.0 / Ezdrummer / Ezplayer
    APC3
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1228
    RE: I would like to test my monitors!! 2009/05/17 11:53:22 (permalink)
    1. Are you connecting the monitors to the TonePort? You should be connecting them to the analog outs if you haven't already done so.---Importing a (pro) song into Sonar for reference is a great way to learn.

2. Ditch the on-board soundcard when recording, atleast make sure that the TonePort is the default card in XP. Use the TonePort to play through your media player as well, you could actually ditch the PC speakers all together, I would. You will find everything much easier if you use the TonePort and only the TonePort.

Latency has never been an issue since I've had my UX1 and UX2, and I need very low latency because I play fast alot. As a matter of fact latency is now an unknown word to me, no matter how many tracks or synths I use(Dim. Pro, Ezdrummer, Addictive Drums, Rapture)and tons of effects, I run out of CPU and RAM(gotta love Freeze) before I have to think of latency. The only downfall is that I only have 2 stereo inputs at a time, which is all I need in my case.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: I would like to test my monitors!! 2009/05/17 16:25:40 (permalink)
    I'd take APC3's advice ("Ditch the on-board soundcard when recording") one step further - ditch the integrated audio interface for everything. Disable it and make your Toneport the default sound device for all programs. This can avoid many potential problems down the road.

The only downside to this is that you'll have to have the Toneport switched on all the time, which won't hurt it.

But the benefit is that the quality of sound coming out of your computer will improve immensely, not just for SONAR playback but also for listening to CDs, watching movies, playing internet radio, and (my favorite) computer games. Even VOIP sounds better.

You might also want to take some objective measurements using white or pink noise or stepped sinewaves and recording them with a good omnidirectional microphone. This is advised because your playback system is really two equal parts: your speakers make up half the equation, and your room is the other half. And of those two factors, the room has vastly more impact on sound quality than the speakers do.

Here's a thread I put up a while back for a quick 'n dirty realtime analyzer that doesn't require any special equipment or software. And for a more detailed analysis of your bass problems, Ethan Winer's test project will do the trick. Remember, testing your speakers is a waste of time without knowing what the room is doing to your sound.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    rbutchie
    RE: I would like to test my monitors!! 2009/05/18 08:05:09 (permalink)
    As I feared there is a conflict when running 2 programs (PODFarm standalone and mediaplayer) or (PF and Guitar Pro) with both opened a lockup occurs??

To BF, I will give the test whirl because comparing with a known good tune probably will not be a viable fix?

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: I would like to test my monitors!! 2009/05/19 02:23:25 (permalink)
    If you import a song...better that it's not some 96 or 128kbs mp3
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: I would like to test my monitors!! 2009/05/19 05:51:31 (permalink)
    Indeed - although it cannot hurt to actually *make* a few of those, for comparison - that way you have a good idea how much you lose in quality on your reference CD (bass, highs) before your stuff goes on soundclick/myspace.

Doing that with your reference CD is not a bad move - those EQ adjustments you need to do to get it back on par, are probably pretty much the same you will need for *your* material.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1